Here's a fun idea I've seen active in other forums. I think it would be cool to do! Not sure what this is? Well, it's a storytelling "game" or something where you must write a chapter to a story, while having only read the chapter before it, and nothing else.
If anyone else is interested in this, post here so we can decide number of chapters, word requirements, number of participants, deadlines, and the like. Once more people post, I'll share my proposal.
Length: 10 chapters minimum, 13 max. We shouldn't do too many. Each chapter should run about 1500 words at least, I think. Though, we could do less or more. It matters not.
Deadline: I think 3-5 days is fairly generous. We don't want to take several months to do this, now.
Theme: Generally, this honor goes to the first chapter's writer, I would think.
Flow: I originally stated "last chapter only" and that was my original plan but by seeing it all at once, the writer has things to build off of, which will tie into my next field. I think we should go with the all at once method for our first go.
Coherence: Generally, the earlier you are in the story, you have a lot more creative license to bring in new plot points. The further you get into the story, however, you should probably be closing plot points, not opening new ones. No new mysterious protagonist showing up in the penultimate chapter.
Materials: The project will consist of two file types. The Chapter file (or files) and the Log file. It is not necessary, but each chapter should be written in a separate document. While Word is the best writing software available, I do not possess it myself, so either WordPad or OpenOffice would be optimal (I THINK OpOff can open Word documents though. Do not quote me on this). The log file should be in .txt format. Record any character bios and the like in here. Explain symbolism, themes, and easter eggs and the like presented in YOUR chapter. Do NOT tell how to write the story from there. Give us some personality and a little backstory on characters introduced, however. Just don't go taking sole control of that character. If it doesn't happen in the chapter, it is out of your hands. A good set of notes will ensure consistency and quality, i believe.
- Authors sign on to the project. (Remember 10-13 chapters is good for a first Chain Story. If we get less authors, we can double up chapters. if we get more… well... We'll have some back-up writers in case one of us can't do it.)
- Authors choose chapters to write. (It'll likely be first come first serve)
- First author begins on designated date.
- Once chapter is finished, you must PM your chapter and notes to the next author. Once the PM is sent, verify that the story has been handed over. That will be when we turn the hourglass on the next author.
- Once author two is done, send ALL chapters and notes to Author 3.
- Play continues until final author PMs the story back to me. I will then compile the document into posts (NOTE: You are responsible for your own editting. To ensure author authenticity, no one else will edit your work in any shape or form. Doing so is, well... be respectful, guys, even if Shuhan's chapter sucks. [narf!])
CURRENT AUTHORS AND THEIR DEADLINES:
1. Insider2000 DONE
2. Cuddles the Dark DONE
3. kmohyudin DONE
x. Sakonosolo CANCELLED
4. Herodadotus DONE
5. RPGJay DONE
6. trappedolphin DONE
7. SkullJoke DONE
8.Kitsune Inferno DONE
x. Sky CANCELLED
x. metteminne CANCELLED
10. Akumu DONE
11. Mar. 15th, 2011 Shuhan1288 IN PROGRESS
12. Mar. 20th, 2011 Uncle Kenny
(Am I missing someone?)