Sounds like there might be some interest in a Mafia-type game in the near future. I've never hosted a game before, but figured it might be kind of fun, so I'm going to give it a go.
If you are interested and will have availability starting in 2-3 weeks, then make a post here to sign up! Feel free to ask any questions you may have, whether you're new to the game or not (experienced players are encouraged to help me answer said questions).
I think that I can probably organize a reasonably balanced game for up to 13 players, so let's set that as the limit for now…
Anyone's welcome, so come on down!
Update - 2021-05-26:
It's official! We're going to have an eight player game of Mafia. The name is no longer subject to change, it will henceforth be known as… Neighborhood Watch! If there are any forum moderators reading, then I'd love it if you could change the thread name. Just "Neighborhood Watch - A Mafia Game" will do.
Here is the list of players. If you are one of them, then you are free to post in the thread. If not, then please don't. Thanks!
6. Kitsune Inferno
7. No swords style best style
In the following hidden bit, I'll keep a running list of rules/general information. Peruse it at your leisure, but let it be known that I will enforce any and all rules as necessary, even resorting to moderator-kills if I have to. If you have any questions/concerns, then please PM me or post your comments in this thread.
This is a Mafia Game! As such, it brings with it certain norms/rules/expectations:
- This is a Game! A really fun Game! And Games are all about having fun! Try your best to have fun and keep the mood light, no matter how heated the discussion may get.
- This is a forum-based Game, and anything you post can and will be regarded by the other players with the utmost scrutiny. For this reason, be careful about what you type in your posts. Furthermore, YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO EDIT YOUR POSTS ONCE THEY HAVE BEEN MADE. This is a serious rule. Automatically merged posts are okay!
- Players are not allowed to PM each other regarding the Game. If you have any questions, then please PM me.
Phew. That doesn't seem so bad. Now for the nitty-gritty.
- There are at least two separate factions. Usually, these factions are the (1) Mafia and (2) Town.
- At the start of the game, each player will receive a separate Role PM that details which faction they belong to as well as any special Role(s) they may have.
- Players are NEVER ALLOWED to copy/paste Role PMs into this thread. That said, paraphrasing is totally acceptable.
- Some players may also know which factions other players belong to (e.g. Mafia members usually know who the other Mafia members are).
- Some players may also be able to privately discuss the game among themselves without other players seeing. Usually, the Mafia will have a separate chat in which they can converse with each other during the game.
- As the game progresses, the various factions will compete to achieve their individual win conditions. Usually these conditions are (1) to become at least 50% of the town and (2) to eliminate all threats to the town. Win conditions will be explained to each player in their Role PM.
- Players remain in the game until they are "killed". Usually, players are killed when either (1) they are shot or (2) a majority of the town votes to lynch them.
- Once a player is killed, they MUST NOT make any posts in this thread until the end of the game. As moderator, I will provide a separate chat for killed players to talk among themselves as well as any spectators who might be interested.
- When one of the factions reaches their win condition, the game will be over! We can all finally decompress, laugh, and chat about how much fun the whole experience was.
But wait, there's more!
- The game is divided into two distinct phases; Day and Night.
- The Day phases will last for 48 hours at a maximum. As moderator, I will announce when the Day phases begin and end.
- Each Day, the living players are allowed to cast votes in order to lynch the other players. To cast a vote, players must make a post with the text, "Vote Lynch: [Player Name]". To cancel a vote, players must make a post with the text, "Unvote". If a player wishes to change their vote from one player to another, then they must first Unvote.
- During the Day phases, all living players are encouraged to post in this thread, chat with each other, and scumhunt. Usually, the only way that the town can win is by questioning each other, determining which players represent threats to the town, and then voting to lynch them.
- On any given Day, once a majority lynch vote has been achieved, the targeted player will be killed and the Day will end. This occurs even if the phase did not last for 48 hours.
- Once a majority lynch vote has been achieved, please stop posting and wait for me to make the Day End post. Once I have made the Day End post, no more posting is allowed until the next Day phase begins.
- If the town is unable to achieve a majority lynch vote before the 48 hours are up, then the Day will end without a lynch.
- In extreme circumstances, I will allow a Day phase to last longer than 48 hours, but only if a majority of the living players post "Vote: Extend Day" before the phase ends.
Then, the sun sets…
- Night phases immediately follow Day phases.
- Every Night phase will last for 24 hours at a minimum. This is to give all of us some down time to (1) decide what each player will do and (2) live our real lives. Forum-based Games aren't everything, you know?
- Each Night, absolutely NO ONE is allowed to post in this thread.
- During the Night phases, any living player with an active ability from their Role is allowed to send me a PM describing what they would like to do during the Night. Usually, this means targeting another player to perform a Night Kill or Investigation.
- Players are encouraged to PM me with their Night action within the first 12 hours of a given Night phase.
- In this game, unless it is explicitly stated otherwise, each player is allowed to perform only ONE ACTION per Night.
- By the end of each Night phase, I will resolve all of the player night actions as appropriate, and then I'll post a new Day phase beginning. And then the cycle repeats.
There you have it, everything I expect for you to know as we get into the Neighborhood Watch!
Update - 2021-05-28:
DAY ONE - BEGIN
Update - 2021-05-31:
DAY TWO - BEGIN
Update - 2021-06-03:
DAY THREE - BEGIN
Update - 2021-06-05:
DAY THREE - END