It was recently that I realized that it is possible to say that one Piece is no more different from any space opera, particularly Gundam. This is even more so With the recent chapters.
Let's think about it: In Gundam, no one can survive in Space unless protected; there are many space colonies in addition to Earth, and there is always this big-bad world-gov't or sort that will end up antagonist, or at least, not favorly.
If you replace space with sea and colonies with island, than it's basically one piece. However, this is no different from many space opera.
What make it closer to gundam are two followings:
- water 7: Resembling Orb from GS/GSD. In fact, I would not be surprise if Oda pull "Invasion of Orb" on water 7, since they are both similar in that aspect (both are producer of powerful weaponry for the big-bad gov't but still being attacked)
- SH declaring war on world gov't: Similar to the AEUG of Zeta Gundam, where they will have many allies that is actually members of the big-bad gov't… and they declared war on the big-bad gov't after knowing about a massacre.
- Pluton/Posedion: A powerful weapon capable of wiping out an entire island. in Gundam, they have large lasers to wipe out a colony or hundreds.
If so, there's a few possuible plotline:
- Invasion of water 7: In GS, Orb provided the 5 Gundam production, and is still peaceful, but still being invaded by EA. So Just because Water 7 provide warship for the navy AND being prestige in WG does not mean they will not be invaded by them. This may also applied to Albasta, but less likely.
- Some kind of "exposure" of wg's horror, similar to how the AEUG exposed Titan's crimes
- A huge battle involving the Pluton/posideon on the antagonist's side.