The forum is back! Hurray!!
After watching 1029 I'm about to go on a huge rant. The whole episode is very weak. Its focuses on very important characters and had potential to really promote the film.
Uta seems like a really annoying brat, and Shanks and his crew are portrayed like a bunch of quiet smiling creeps... It ruins their canon portrayal. Also, how did Usopp manage to record a full Uta track?
Breakdown of the ugly parts:
- Whole crew acts extremely calm listening to a very upbeat and energetic song, feels wrong
- Jinbei laying on the rope ladder is completely off, animation is laughable
- (Luffy is laying against a mast, then next shot is laying on a guard?)
- So so many off model and inconsistent character designs, nearly all facial shots
- Background art of the ship has some weird digital textures/brushes
- Chopper is sliding on the ship when he should be stepping (sound effects)
- Bag of fruit is drawn completely wrong (no need it to be colored brown if it's just netting)
- Detailed shadows on Luffy's face remain static despite fact he's moving, gives the illusion that is how his face looks
- Shanks and crew generally look creepy and off-model whileUta is singing
- Shanks' crew cheering sounds like an orchestra audience applause
It's an outsourced mess. Same outsourced Chinese animators involved with episode 986.
Goes to my list of worst episodes during Wano:
#1 - 1029
#2 - 986
#3 - 990