We all know it's bound to happen.
Place your bets.
We all know it's bound to happen.
Place your bets.
Either Blackbeard or no one.
Sure why not.
Shanks can be a surprise D. Clan member and why not really mess with Luffy’s heritage.
Dragon being Rocks son is a much better argument for him changing his last name to Monkey and Garp just going with the idea that they’re related based on a mutual agreement to continue covering up Xebec’s existence. Also Dragon being a revolutionary kinda falls more in line with Xebec’s goals.
I feel Dragon is unlikely - he uses the Monkey family name, and Garp never felt the need to rename Ace, despite Roger's bloodline presumably being even more "wanted" than that of Rocks. Plus Dragon would have been ~17 when God Valley went down, and I have a hard time seeing Garp taking in a kid who was nearly an adult already.
Blackbeard's a bit on the obvious side, but I think it's possible given his thematic parallels to Rocks, to say nothing of naming his post-timeskip flagship after the man. Timeline wise, he was about two years old when the God Valley incident went down.
Shanks remains a mystery… Similar to Teach, he would have been roughly a year old when the God Valley incident occurred, and while we've never been told where/when Roger picked him up, I seem to recall that Roger mentioned during the part of Oden's flashback where the whole Kozuki family was on board the Oro Jackson that he'd been around a baby before Momonosuke and Hiyori, but that it had been a long time ago, so it's possible Shanks was among those who were rescued from God Valley. Personally, though, given his access to the Gorousei, I'm inclined to believe he's a "fallen" Celestial Dragon a la Doflamingo, rather than someone related to Rocks.
That said, Buggy's origins are also a mystery and he's the same age as Shanks, so... Rocks D. Buggy?
LOL @ Rocks D. Buggy
I'm still leaning towards Rocks somehow being a parasite that lives inside Blackbeard.
Dragon is the most fun idea, but makes the least sense. Blackbeard is certainly possible, but as someone mentioned in some other thread, Blackbeard having inherited Rocks will (which is what most presume has happened) makes it seem different than Oda's usual blueprint for successful influence and will inheriting. Shanks would be interesting, but it's hard to imagine why the Elder Stars would be so comfortable with Rocks son in Mariejoas.
If it's anyone, it's Blackbeard, but I think it's more likely (and preferable) for that to be an inherited will situation rather than a lineage one.
According to the timeline, Dragon would have been 17 years old around the God Valley Incident, whereas Teach and Shanks would have been 2 and 1 years old, respectively. So, I do believe we can count Dragon out of the equation.
But what if both Shanks and Teach are Xebec's sons and half-brothers?
1. The age. Dragon was 17 at the time of the God Valley incident, while Roger and Garp were 39 and 40. It would make sense for Rocks to be older than them, considering he was Roger's first and biggest rival, and he was the Gold standard of a pirate in that era, making all his subordinates and enemies part of the new era: Roger (39), Rayleigh (40), Garp (40), Sengoku (41) and Whitebeard (36). One Piece is filled with examples of men being late bloomers: Roger had Ace with 53, Dragon had Luffy at 36, Whitebeard had Weevil at 39 and Shanks probably shagged Makino very recently so between 37 and 39 years. If Garp was the biological father, that would mean that he had Dragon with 23, almost immediately after just joining the marines (56 years ago) which doesn't seem very realistic for someone that has to devote his life to marine duty. Could be wrong about this of course, and maybe Rocks had around the same age as Garp and Roger, but he wasn't a marine so no duties whatsoever to adhere to, and even then…
2. Garp has mentioned Dragon in ambiguous terms, both asking Luffy is he has met his old man yet, and telling Luffy that he is "the child of my child" in non-gendered terms, which could easily be a red flag if Garp had a daughter (Luffy's mom) instead of a son. That would also explain why he hasn't been punished for his relationship with Dragon or used by the WG to lure him and also why he was so insistent that Luffy HAD TO become a marine while seemingly not caring about what Dragon is up to: they aren't blood related, but he respects that he's trying to dethrone the Nobles that he also very much despises and isn't specially keen in stopping him. Consider also how much emphasis the story has made about sons not carrying the sins of their fathers, because…
3. Xebec's motivations, as explained by Sengoku, were "conquering the world" and "baring its fangs at the Celestial Dragons". The most notorious incident he was involved with was related to opposing people who had to protect Celestial Dragons, and 2 of his most notorious crewmembers aim to change the world and bring more equality (in their own egotistical twisted ways). How curious then that Dragon's whole motivation is dethroning specifically the Celestial Dragons, and that he started the Revolutionary Army after seeing Roger's execution, which was emphasized by Oda. Possibly because seeing the man that defeated his father get executed was the turning point for him to think "hey, my dad had good intentions but his methods were the wrong ones and he was a blood-lusted evil psycho (probably) and he died a forgettable death while this man is starting the great age of piracy, so there's room for change in this world and it's not limited to marines and pirates". That's also why he tells Luffy at Loguetown that choosing to be a pirate is fine too, and why Woop Slap ponders if Luffy becoming a pirate was his dream or his fate, something that doesn't make sense if there was no notorious pirate in Luffy's lineage.
4. With most of the story's examples of Inherited Will being about people receiving it from someone they are not related by blood (Luffy and Shanks, Luffy and Roger, Franky and Tom, Jinbe and Fisher Tiger, Chopper and Hiruluk), it would be pretty disappointing if "oh actually Blackbeard has inherited the will of his biological father that was as evil as he is and it was revealed to him in an epiphany that he had to eat the same Darkness fruit that his father had". Also maybe Whitebeard would have made a comment or two about how this random orphan kid resembles his old captain, but maybe that's just me. And Shanks has Celestial Dragon/Gorosei connection written all over its face so I wouldn't even touch him (though he has a likelier case than Teach at least).
5. Their hair is pretty similar going off the silhouette, so that could be a hint. Also, Luffy doesn't resemble his father very much, not physically nor personality and quirk-wise, whereas young Garp looks 200% Luffy and 60 year old Luffy from the SBS has the fucking Garp smirk. Their brass, explosive and child-like behaviour was also paralleled in Water 7, whereas Dragon is... calm and collected. I wonder why.
6. It would be cool if Garp has family ties with both of his biggest pirate rivals with his son-in-law and adoptive grandson.
7. It would make Luffy even more special (Roger's hat, Shanks blessing, Ace's brother, Sabo's brother, Dragon's son, Garp's grandson AND Xebec's grandson??? no fucking way!!!!) which is a trend that will NEVER stop, specially after recent events. But remember that women are out of the equation so Luffy's grandmas and his mother don't matter nearly as much.
8. Dragon being from Goa Kingdom could be a red herring, factually true if Xebec was also from Goa Kingdom, or whatever third option and it would still fall in Oda had it all planned from chapter 1.
BB definitely has a connection to Xebec. As a D, he inherited Xebec's will. But I am still reluctant to consider him Xebec's son.
Roger: Hey Garp I heard you took care of Xebec's kid after he passed, can you do the same for me bro?
Apparently my post in this thread was the last one made before the forum collapse, so they definitely were trying to hide the truth!
Jokes aside, I still stand by my reasonings.