Once again I find myself forced to work with an insufferable clown. At least I don't have to put up with it this time.
I'm not going to bother with pleasantries because unlike the rest of you, I realize we don't have the oxygen or time to spare, and I am not going to die down here.
So lets look over what we know:
The list of game mechanics:
- Every person that signs up will be required to create a character, there will be five basic parameters that you will assign points to.
- You will also select a character that you would want to roleplay as - from One Piece of course, because this is a One Piece game, and give a little back story to yourselves.
- The game will start with each one of you in the bottom of a dungeon that you will need to escape.
- There will be day and night phases, in the day all of your actions will be communal - including lynching others, and in the night, you will be able to do things privately - including kill other people.
- Your objective will be to get out alive, and everyone who does so will win regardless of the methods they choose.
- There will be NO monsters (or dragons), and you will be fighting among yourselves.
- [PERCEPTION] will allow you to find hidden rooms and maybe items, and also see if anyone is acting "scummy" - which practically speaking would be a calculation based on your perception stat and the targets willpower stat.
- [CRAFT] will allow you to use machines or equipment. This would be the mechanism through which you will get "powers" - in Mafia lingo.
- [ATHLETICS] will allow you to reach otherwise unreachable places, and also avoid kills. Again, practically speaking this will be calculation based on the attackers stealth vs the defenders athletics.
- [STEALTH] will allow you to sneak into places without anyone else noticing, and also give you an advantage in kills.
- [WILLPOWER] will change based on your actions during the game. The more negative actions you take, the lesser your willpower and the easier it will be to pin you.
And the hints: ```
There is a limited amount of oxygen in the room. If you don't leave within two in game days, you won't survive!
Everyone is already participating in the digging process. It should take you two in game days to open the way. Though, once you do, you would leave immediately, and would not be able to come back
You must choose by popular opinion if you plan to build the footholds. If you do, we will stop working on the exit route.
On the other hand, if you reach the provisions, we will regain your lost points.
There's a lot to unpack here. Lets start by taking a look between the lines and seeing what we can infer:
Everyone having willpower and stealth stats, everyone's win condition being to escape, and willpower being a stat that changes with your actions all point to not having a mafia. Really stop and think about how these mechanics work together. Perception detects if anyone is acting "scummy", not whether or not they are scum. Willpower decreases with negative actions, increasing the chance of being caught. What would a mafia that doesn't win by outnumbering the town even look like_?_ It doesn't really make sense. I know this is a very bold claim to make, but the more I think about the game mechanics at play, the more sure I am that this is the case. We're in Lord of the Flies right now. Oops all serial killers.
"In the night, you will be able to do things privately - including kill other people." - The wording here seems to imply we are all capable of killing. We will know for sure after tonight, and if it is true, it lends more credence to my first point.
This initial scenario has provided us just enough time for all of us to survive, but I doubt that will continue to be the case going forward. It seems likely that as we progress, fewer and fewer players will be able to proceed.
If my prior three statements are true:
- In any situation in which a player must be sacrificed for our survival, it is much safer to handle it through a lynch. Without proper coordination, there is a chance that no one takes matters into their own hands, which could result in all of us dying. Kills can also fail and we run the risk of multiple kills. Lynches will be far more predictable and reliable.
- We should sacrifice any and all inactive players even if there is a mafia. The win condition for everyone is to escape, which would mean that the "mafia" outnumbering us should not result in a game over.
- It is in everyone's best interests to cooperate as much as possible, and to avoid killing as much as possible. As the pool of living players shrink, so do the potential targets. Every night kill means increasing your odds of being targeted AND increases the odds people with high perception will perceive you as scummy.
It takes at least two days to dig out of here. I assume that means we need to dig for both of our day actions today and tomorrow. Going for the footholds means we would run out of oxygen unless we kill someone.
Takes a deep breath.
With all of that out of the way, I can begin to assess what the rest of you have managed to accomplish. If you've accomplished anything.
According to the clown, we just have to dig our way out of this hole and we'll all win.
Can it be that simple? With the Joker, it never is.
The provisions can help us boost perception to detect criminals among us. But it will also give them a boost.
If there are Mafia members, can't they also just win by getting out of the hole?
Bold of you to assume that it's even possible for all of us to make it out of here alive. We don't know what else awaits us in this place, but if its anything like this we can expect a race against the clock. In this room, we conveniently have just enough oxygen to make it out without a sacrifice, but that might not continue to be the case. Even in here if anyone starts to slack off or gets distracted, we may lose that luxury.
Some flowers may bloom, even under the harshest of conditions.
I think that if we can work together, then we might find a way to overcome both obstacles at once.
Who knows? We might even be able to see an easier way out if we get to a higher vantage point. Should we trust that the clown saw everything on the way down?
Un, Deux, TROIS!!!
kicks a foothold in the cave wall
Vote: Build Footholds
Speaking of getting distracted, what do you think you're doing? You say we all need to work together, but all you're doing is ensuring someone's demise.
If it comes down to it I don't mind dirtying my hands, but I'm not going to unnecessarily put my life at risk. I would urge all of you to actually use your heads before you go brain-dead from oxygen deprivation. Maybe then you would realize that any of us could become a scapegoat if we waste time.
I have to wonder though… if you're someone who was able to break out of Impel Down, did you really overlook this? I'm watching you Bon Clay.
Oh, have you guys noticed that small vent up there? I'd climb it to check it out, but I can feel my 'Can't-climb-that-wall' disease rising up again. I'll keep looking down here, but if anybody wants to get up there, be my guest. Maybe there's useful stuff there that I can tinker with.
Hmm? Please elaborate.
Why don't you and Usopp work together to get up to that vent? My arms aren't too flexible. And while they're all distracted with the vent, I'll sneak over and check out that small box in the corner while no one's looking. And then its contents will be all mine!
Very stealthy. Mind sharing with the class?
–- Update From New Post Merge ---
that was all meant to be in character but still i am very sorry if i went overboard