Hello, fellow gameophiles.~ When a new game comes out here on AP, it tends to spark real-time discussion as people post their progress and whatnot and share their thoughts as they play. There's usually pages upon pages of ripe discussion on the game in question. But then it drops off over time as everyone beats the game and goes on with their lives. Sure, SOMEBODY's out there playing Chrono Trigger right now, but there's a lack of any large-scale discussion to take part in. And I bet you've been looking for an excuse to replay Ocarina of Time, haven't you?
Enter the AP Retro Game Party:
1. Once a month, AP members cast their vote on a game to play from any era up to the N64/PSX/Dreamcast era for consoles, and GBA era for handhelds.
2. During the month, we will replay the game. Most of us will play start to finish, but you are free to load up past saves or play up to wherever you please, so long as your discussion is about what you've played during the month.
3. As we play, we simply post and share our opinions and thoughts, as frequently as we'd like. These opinions and thoughts are meant to be completely based off of this playthrough, though you may make comparisons to old opinions.
That's basically the gist of it. Everything else is discussed below in detail.
- Encouraging and Promoting Discussion: We're here to promote discussion and thoughts on the game in real-time as you play it, much like in newer game threads as everyone gets a hold of a new game and plays through it. This is the perfect chance to schedule a replay of those dusty old classics, because we're all doing it! As for discussion itself, anything goes. Thoughts on plot, gameplay, presentation, design, whatever, it's all up for discussion!
- Evaluating Prior Conceptions and Adopting New Perspectives: You might think Super Mario World was the best game ever last time you played, but how do you feel about it now? Do you feel like you enjoy the game more? Do you feel like you enjoy it less? We want you to share your altered or unaltered opinions and new perspectives as you play through the game! So come into the experience with an open but critical mind.
- Experiencing Classics Again or for the Very First Time: While the idea is to relive games we've already played, there's still plenty of room here for first-time players. We want to see new players get to enjoy the things we did so many years ago! With that in mind, however, spoilers simply cannot be avoided within this discussion. Some of us know who is going to die at the end of Disc Five, and this particular death is probably going to play a pivotal role in the experience of the game.
Keep in Mind
1. If you're not currently playing the game as part of the thread, we don't care.
2. You are free to mention prior playthroughs and your thoughts on them, so long as you're primarily posting new material and new reactions AS YOU ARE PLAYING THE GAME. Old thoughts are meant to be simply comparisons only.
3. You are free to enter the discussion at any time, so long as we have not moved on to a new game. It's okay to start at the end of the month, just be warned you probably won't finish with the rest of us.
4. Be mindful of spoilers at your own discretion. Basically, anything you as a player think is best kept a secret for a new player should be tagged appropriately (or vague or something).
5. Golden Rings are not an acceptable form of currency in this thread. Sorry, Sonic fans, your money's no good here.
That's about it, really. If you have any questions, ask me or Wagomu.
Now then, this month's adventure begins today!, and the game you guys chose is Sonic the Hedgehog.
Sonic the Hedgehog is a critical masterpiece that redefined Sonic the Hedgehog the series forever. You can play as Sonic, Shadow, and the all new Silver across nine beautifully rendered and expertly crafted worlds. If that's not enough to have you hooked, the story is the most epic video game story ever, complete with a beautifully crafted love story and a whole gamut of emotions. This is the game for the ages. You can find copies for the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3, but it is a rare gem, because everyone who has the game unequivocally loves it and never sold it and so should you. If you can find a copy, you must partake in this incredible game. Because that is the Retro Game Party this month.
I think that's about all I can say. The Party will begin on April 1st, but until then, I guess feel free to discuss the idea as a whole, and recommend some games for May.~ Remember, this idea only works if the games we play are games YOU want to play.
Past Game Parties:
JUNE 2012: Final Fantasy VII - http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=35388
JULY 2012: Earthbound - http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=35664
AUGUST 2012: The Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past - http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=35981
SEPTEMBER 2012: Spyro the Dragon - http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=36213
OCTOBER 2012: Sonic Adventure 2 - http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=36393
NOVEMBER 2012: Fire Emblem -
FEBRUARY 2015: Earthbound
MARCH 2015: Super Metroid