Hannyabal's Arlong Park Evaluation
What you loved:
- Gandolf Standoff - This moment defined his character so well. After all of the silliness, all of the gags and ribs towards Magellan - Hannyabal's epic standoff against Luffy and his merry band of escaped psychopaths is an inspired scene. Earlier on, Hannyabal feels a little incompetent and as though his wish to be Warden of Impel Down blinds him to the bigger picture. By the time he makes his stand we know better. Hannyabal does his job because, to him, it is the right thing to do. It's hard not to empathize with a man with morals. More than one reviewer even mentioned that it is one of the few times in the series where we question if Luffy is doing the right thing. Luffy always simplifies what he wants and pursues his goals with an endless determination but perhaps overlooking the negative impact he could have on the world with his actions (which isn't a stretch in this scene) is a little difficult.
- Freudian Slipage - One of the funniest gags in all of One Piece is watching Hannyabal give Magellan endless amounts of shit while he tries at every turn to take his job. They have a very unique chemistry because underneath it all they respect and trust one another.
- A Pharaoh - More than one of you mentioned that Hannyabal's crazy design working so well is really what One Piece is all about.
Favorite comment goes to Devil G.:
_"Love: This guy. THIS GUY. One of my favorite One Piece side-characters without a doubt. This over-ambitious, egyptian-like (former) vice-warden worked wonders giving comical relief in contrast to the serious Magellan, but when push came to shove, we were able to witness exactly why he holds his position. His clash with Luffy stays one of my favourite moments in the whole manga, the way he held him off with all he had, getting beat to a pulp and throwing that great speech, proving he really believes in what he does, makes me hold him in high regard.
Also I love his pants"_
What you loathed:
- The New Warden? - Several of your guys feel that he is undeserving of his current position. Be it because he is too weak, unintimidating, stupid or petty; some just don't feel he will be able to fill Magellan's shoes.
- Impel Down Consequences - For all the intrigue and moral dilemmas that Impel Down bring up the pay off has been non existent thus far. This isn't really a knock on the guy - you guys just didn't have much to say about what you didn't like. Some did find him ugly and unfunny though.
Favorite comment goes to Zar:
I do wish he got a bit more fight than first being punched by Luffy and then finished by Blackbeard. And him actually becoming the chief warden after the time skip felt a bit out of place. What now?
Also, and this is a complaint that goes for the entire series, it irritates me that the consequences of the prisoner's escape hasn't been shown afterwards. One of the most interesting things with the Impel Down arc was the grey boundary between good and bad, Luffy's intention is good but he is also freeing a bunch of dangerous prisoners. The guards of Impel Down are actually doing their job, trying their best to protect the civilians in the world. And then? Nothing! The prisoners go under Buggy, and even if we've heard of there being chaos, it almost feels like the whole ordeal was swept under the rug so the World Government can continue being branded as the bad guys.
Maybe I'm just blabbering on and missing important plot points, but I wish Luffy actually had to face the consequences of releasing the prisoners so the Impel Down guards could show just why it was so important that they tried to stop Luffy and his group (even if their methods are a bit questionable)."_
Finally,the poll! With 16 votes, Hannyabal average score is…3.78!
Thanks to all that responded! I will post my next pick later on today. Here's the HINT: Our next character is a ship sinker.