for the past few months(almost a year, actually) I've been considering building my next computer. I realized if I diverted enough funds to the project, money would hardly be an issue, and I could make a top of the line computer.
My buy, up until a bit ago, hinged on one thing. The GeForce 9 series. With twice the power of a single 8800 Ultra, I figured one was plenty. With me waiting for the card to come out, which according to my source would be October at the earliest, or otherwise sometime in Nvidia's new financial quarter, I eventually decided I'd saved up plenty enough to buy 2 and get a dual-card set-up going.
The only problem? All information relating to it has disappeared. As far as I can tell, one of the cards in the series turned out to be an 8 series, so it seems most of the information was pulled, just in case they had it for the wrong card.
Yes, dual 9's would have been overboard. But I considered it future-proofing my computer. Allowing it to run twice as good as some of the best computers out there, at least, until it became the new 8800.
So with the potential of a release looming, and me holding back on buying so none of my parts would be obsolete by the time the card came out, I need to decide. Dual 8800 Ultras(which some already consider overboard) or try to get new information on the 9 series and wait. If it's worth doing, it's overdoing, but with less information out there now than a few weeks ago, I'm questioning if this is worth the wait.