+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 57 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hobbit movies

Default The Hobbit movies

http://au.movies.ign.com/articles/741/741713p1.html

Hmmm can't say I didn't see this coming years ago, although it's not exactly getting off the ground quite yet.

As a huge fan of Tolkien's books as well as Peter Jackson's movies, I'm not sure how to feel about this right now.

I feel kind of like I got over a major love affair...and not really ready to step back into the relationship again knowing all the pain and annoying little things I'll have to deal with again...and whether it can achieve the same feeling again.

Also, The Hobbit is very different from LOTR. It's not so much an epic, emotional, philosophical journey of self-sacrice and good triumphing over evil type of thing as LOTR, more of a simple treasure hunt/dragon slaying tale. And Bilbo travels around with just dwarves for the most part. It'll be hard to make as "kewl" for the average action movie people.

As for whether PJ should direct it...I don't know. A lot of people gripe that "he's gone too mainstream" or maybe he's just burned out on LOTR now...I think conceivably another director could do better. But then, you can't deny (unless you're one of those annoying hard-core Tolkien purists who can't deal with a single change reasonably) that he did a great job with LOTR.

Eh, we'll see.

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

Default Re: The Hobbit movie(s)?

So simply put now they are simply trying to milk LOTRs success which will most likely lead to a craptastic movie like most following this path do.

I'd watch a film of the Hobbit done in Jackson's LOTR style but I don't know how I'd feel about a really bloated two-film version.

Lord of the Rings was something I knew little of before its theatrical release, however, The Hobbit in its animated incarnation is one of the coolest and most frightening memories I have as child.

I can only see good things coming from this.

And.....how has Jackson gone mainstream? He made what? One movie since then? And despite what you might think about the OVERALL story (ie. the idea that it was King Kong) the way he told the story and what he did with it was awesome.

I get chills just thinking about the possibility of this.

But two films? Hey, as long as the showdown with Smog
    is the most legendary dragon battle that has and ever will grace the silver screen, I have no doubts about it.

Smaug.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    I'd watch a film of the Hobbit done in Jackson's LOTR style but I don't know how I'd feel about a really bloated two-film version.
    Same here. I've always loved the Hobbit a lot more than the LOTR trilogy.

the bigot who thinks being an asshole is actually worth shit

Yeah, Smaug would make it worth it. Just as long as Sean Connery doesn't do the voice. XD
    Who would you choose? For some reason Ron Perlman just dropped into my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Lord of the Rings was something I knew little of before its theatrical release, however, The Hobbit in its animated incarnation is one of the coolest and most frightening memories I have as child.
    Yeah, I saw that before I read any of the books. Good times. Although the depiction of elves in that movie was hideous.
    Anyone ever see the Rankin-Bass ROTK? '

"Where there's a WHIP! There is a WAY!" Gawd, cheesiest thing ever. XDDD I recommend it just for laughs.

And.....how has Jackson gone mainstream? He made what? One movie since then? And despite what you might think about the OVERALL story (ie. the idea that it was King Kong) the way he told the story and what he did with it was awesome.
    I agree. I think some people are just very...I don't know, elitist? Although I can fully understand someone just not liking his directorial style.

I think two films is a bit much too. I think The Hobbit can be squeezed into one long film well enough. It just sounds like they're trying to milk as much movie out of it as possible.

They could always go for The Silmarillion next... It would probably be better as a mini-series though, since it's a bunch of short stories. I'd like to see it visualized just for the fact that the book is written soooo dry.

I have a hard time understanding how someone could like The Hobbit more than LOTR though. Different strokes fer different folks eh.

Well... Maybe I can see the logic in 2 movies, since if they made one 2 hour one they'd have to really abbreviate and/or cut several important parts. But yeah, I still think it's a bit excessive.

Even with three 3 hour + movies they still had to cut a lot of important scenes out of LOTR. It's unavoidable.

Making two movies has some other drawbacks...it can mess with the momentum of the story. They'll have to find something to be the climax of film one...I'm not sure what that would be. It's been a while since I read it...I think probably fighting Smaug would be the climax of the first film and the big battle the climax of the second, that's the only thing I can think of at the moment. But that was a depressing fight, eh? Not a fight for freedom or anything.

please don't ever make peter jackson work on anything tolkien-related ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
    Just as long as Sean Connery doesn't do the voice. XD
    Who would you choose?
    James Earl Jones.

If not him, then David Warner.

While on the subject of casting, I nominate David Bowie for either Thranduil or the Great Goblin.

"Where there's a WHIP! There is a WAY!" Gawd, cheesiest thing ever. XDDD I recommend it just for laughs.
    We don't wanna go to war today!

The whole damn movie was weird, but nothing, but nothing tops the orc turning into a duck-billed playtpus in that one scene.

I think The Hobbit can be squeezed into one long film well enough. It just sounds like they're trying to milk as much movie out of it as possible.
    I seem to recall reading somewhere a while back that they were actually debating creating original material for it to make it longer. Hell if I know why though.

I understand not using some things, especially the animal servants in Beorn's hall for instance. But filler would not be necessary if they would JUST INCLUDE THE DAMN SONGS. If nothing else, using the Dwarven song at the start of the film would provide some easy exposition.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by igalsfy View Post
    please don't ever make peter jackson work on anything tolkien-related ever again.
    It wasn't me I swear!

I loved PJ's adaption though, sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    James Earl Jones.

If not him, then David Warner.
    I don't know who David Warner is James Earl Jones...seems too overdone with voiceovers.

While on the subject of casting, I nominate David Bowie for either Thranduil or the Great Goblin.
    Did you know that David Bowie tried to get the role of Elrond? Personally I think he's getting to old to play any elves. He was the Goblin King once though. XD

The whole damn movie was weird, but nothing, but nothing tops the orc turning into a duck-billed playtpus in that one scene.
    I don't even remember that. At the time I watched it, I was sitting with a bunch of Tolkien fans trying to come up with ideas to do a Rocky Horror style satire to the movie and was laughing most of the time. I don't know if they ever got that together.

I seem to recall reading somewhere a while back that they were actually debating creating original material for it to make it longer. Hell if I know why though.
    Making it longer is hardly what it needs.

I understand not using some things, especially the animal servants in Beorn's hall for instance. But filler would not be necessary if they would JUST INCLUDE THE DAMN SONGS. If nothing else, using the Dwarven song at the start of the film would provide some easy exposition.
    It's hard to do songs without making them cheesy, or a musical. It would be nice if they could put at least one or two in. Singing while walking maybe.

Seeing Smaug in all of his CGed flaming glory lighting Esgaroth on fire would make this movie woth seeing. Anyway, being a huge fan of anything Tolkien, I'd like to see The Hobbit made into a movie. I was 100% sure that there would be one after finding out that the Fellowship of the Ring was going to be made into a movie, but I was kind of disapointed that there wasn't one. As long as it's done correctly, this could be excellent.

I win because I can read Dwarf runes.

I don't know who David Warner is
    He played Ra's Al Ghul on Batman: TAS. That and Sark from Tron.

I'd have said Tony Jay, but well, he's dead sadly enough.

Anybody who plays him definitely needs to sound cultured and smooth though.

James Earl Jones...seems too overdone with voiceovers.
    That's only because he has one of the best voices in the entire industry. He was the single best thing about Flight of Dragons for instance... huh, somebody's apparently posted that entire film in segments on Youtube.

Did you know that David Bowie tried to get the role of Elrond?
    Yeah. I kinda wish that he had got it, Elrond seemed too stiff in Jackson's version. On the other hand, he was kinda like that in LotR.

Personally I think he's getting to old to play any elves. He was the Goblin King once though. XD
    All the more reason for him to be the Great Goblin. That or Bolg.

I don't even remember that. At the time I watched it, I was sitting with a bunch of Tolkien fans trying to come up with ideas to do a Rocky Horror style satire to the movie and was laughing most of the time. I don't know if they ever got that together.
    I think it's during the sequence where Sam imagines turning the whole world into a garden. Right in the middle, bam. Orc turns into a Platypus. I think it should be in this sequence here.

On another note, Where There's a Whip, There's A Way!.

Making it longer is hardly what it needs.
    I'm seriously hoping that padding isn't the reason that they're considering breaking it in two.

It's hard to do songs without making them cheesy, or a musical. It would be nice if they could put at least one or two in. Singing while walking maybe.
    Well, the best way to avoid making them cheesy is to put them in the hands of somebody who knows what they're doing. Somebody like the Chieftains for instance could do an amazing job with Tolkien's work.

I actually liked the Hobbit more than the LOTR part. :I

I win because I can read Dwarf runes.
    On a side note: http://www.utexas.edu/features/archi...2/tolkien.html

Treasure Cruise ID: 785,854,335
    LS Zoro looking 4 Vivis

He played Ra's Al Ghul on Batman: TAS. That and Sark from Tron.
    The Lobe on Freakazoid! as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Carter View Post
    The Lobe on Freakazoid! as well.
    Man, I always forget about that one for some reason. Of course my main memories of Freakazoid are the Gargoyles and Johnny Quest parodies.

One of his best characters that I still neglected to mention was the Evil Genius from Time Bandits. He was also in Quest for the Delta Knights, but I'm sure that he'd prefer that people forget about that.

Anybody who plays him definitely needs to sound cultured and smooth though.
    Well, it'll probably end up being a british accent anyway :P

That's only because he has one of the best voices in the entire industry. He was the single best thing about Flight of Dragons for instance... huh, somebody's apparently posted that entire film in segments on Youtube.
    I can't disagree with that, but I just don't really know if he really fits the part.
    Ah, Flight of Dragons, there's something I haven't seen i a long time. I totally grew up with all those Rankin-Bass fantasy cartoons.

I think it's during the sequence where Sam imagines turning the whole world into a garden. Right in the middle, bam. Orc turns into a Platypus. I think it should be in this sequence here.
    Ooooh yeah now I remember that part. Gah, I'm not sure which is worse, Ralph Bakshi's Sam design or that one. OK I lied, no contest it's Ralph Bakshi's. It's kind of a shame that the PJ's movie completely cut Sam getting the ring, but then it's ridiculous how much time the animated version wasted on it. XD

Yay! Hahaha. That song rocks. XD

Quote Originally Posted by taboo View Post
    I actually liked the Hobbit more than the LOTR part. :I
    Oh yeah well you're...some kind of...freaky...alien cow!

Its great living in a capitalist society. I remember seeing LOTR and suddenly realized, "Hey, the skipped over a whole storyline (Hobbits)"
    I can't disagree with that, but I just don't really know if he really fits the part.
    Ah, Flight of Dragons, there's something I haven't seen i a long time. I totally grew up with all those Rankin-Bass fantasy cartoons.
    The cartoons were my only experience with LOTR. It aired on primetime on ABC. I remember the character design at the time were creepy. Especially Golem(sp?) with hair hanging down between his legs. Bleargh!!!

Yay! Hahaha. That song rocks. XD
    That's the only song I remember from that series. Goes to prove how powerful it is. I still know the main lyrics

Quote Originally Posted by OP Man View Post
    "The cartoons were my only experience with LOTR.
    The animated LOTR and ROTK sucked. This review is awesome though: http://flyingmoose.org/tolksarc/bakshi/bakshi.htm

Particularly the last few things on the list...hilarious.

It aired on primetime on ABC. I remember the character design at the time were creepy. Especially Golem(sp?) with hair hanging down between his legs. Bleargh!!!
    That's a LOIN CLOTH silly. XD
    Most Rankin-Bass character designs are creepy. And it's Gollum.

Particularly the last few things on the list...hilarious.
    Yeah, that sequence with Gandalf slaughtering those Orcs just comes out of nowhere. I noticed several of the same things as this author; in fact, I wrote a review of the film myself for a message board a few years ago and even included the same quote about the Balrog. Another poster posted it on her website to preserve it (as she herself wrote a review and used mine as a comparison), but I can't recall the url for it.

Most Rankin-Bass character designs are creepy. And it's Gollum.
    Gollum's design might have been a throwback to some of the very early designs for Gollum that pre-dated Lord of the Rings; that or animators didn't have the slightest idea that he was a Hobbit.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information