+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 57 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1139

Thread: The Hobbit movies

Default Re: The Hobbit movies

Quote Originally Posted by Gold G. Roger View Post
    The next installment with Dragon Smaug Rampaging all over the town is just one week away.
    You have to ask yourself one thing, how shall this week end?

FC: 5043 2397 0050 In Game trainer name (WolfWood)

I saw it yesterday. What a great sent off for the whole franchise. There are a couple of well executed fan service scenes, that made me smile like a child. The battle is everything you expect and more ill say. A lot of people didnt move during the credits, a cinema full on nostalgia.

HEROMAN... ATTACK!!

Is it out already? I thought it didnt come out for another week!
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Is it out already? I thought it didnt come out for another week!
    I got a ticket for a pre screening. It was in 3D, so i can also say that i doesn´t add anything great to the experience, just go for the classic way for this one.

HEROMAN... ATTACK!!

I honestly think the third installment has the potential to be the best one considering the majority of the meaty exciting stuff is going to be in this movie.

The problem I've had with the past two films is that they feel too padded. I think the fact that they're adapting some of the supplemental materials from the LOTR Appendices was enough to fit in a second movie worth of content, but not a third, and it really shows in how padded the movies are.

I think they should either have done it as 2 2.5-3 hour movies, or if they INSISTED on doing it as 3 movies, it should have been 3 1.5 hour movies.

The first one ended at an Ok place, just that with less padding for the first
    The Second one should have ended with the Battle with Smaug in Laketown and should have shown the actual end of that fight
    The Third one should have been The entire rest of the story
    each being 1.5-2 hours each instead of 2.5-3

However, that being said, somehow the actual battle against Smaug is going to be the start of this movie, THEN we have the Battle of the Five Armies, and the Battle of Dol Guldur, which is easily the meatiest part of what was in the Appendices, so I fully expect this one to be good. If you took out the battle with Smaug in the beginning and stuck it to the end of the previous movie, it's probably going to be 1.5-2 hours without that part, meaning this material is going to be paced roughly the way I would have liked to have seen the entire series paced.

Bottom line is, I like these movies and I think what's there is a really solid adaptation of The Hobbit (Thus far, haven't seen Bot5A yet), I just feel there's a LITTLE too much padding for me to really consider it as amazing as the original LOTR Trilogy.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-1795-2519-1884 • Click Here to check out my Twitch Channel[/CENTER]

Yeah, I think the theatrical runs should have been short and sweet 2 hour or less affairs... and then let the extended editions be crazy long.

I never watch the theatrical LotR anymore, and I imagine I won't with Hobbit either... (especially since I often just run it as background noise while working) but if there was a significantly snappier paced version it'd be nice to have.

It really would have been fine at 5-6 hours total. 9-10 really is pushing it.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

This is going to be a really weighty movie for me knowing it's the last of the LotR movies. Unless Jackson wants to really push it and go for the Simarillion.

Isn't the Tolkien Estate basically never letting Jackson touch the Silmarillion because they got into a hissy fit about LOTR but somehow the Hobbit escaped by a technicality?

I dunno. Probably? Eh, let the Estate be, they've already had to deal with too much shit in the past two decades.

Well I just came back from watching it (midnight premier) and, well, it was really good. Some obvious scenes that didn't have to be there, though, and it shows that it's not supposed to be 3 overlength movies, so some padding had to be expected. Not the best, not the worst, I don't know. Worth watching, but they all are...

I really got nothing special to say about it :/
    3DS friend code: 2964-8756-2295
    Games: Pokemon Y & Alpha Sapphire

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Hermit View Post
    Isn't the Tolkien Estate basically never letting Jackson touch the Silmarillion because they got into a hissy fit about LOTR but somehow the Hobbit escaped by a technicality?
    The film rights to Hobbit and LotR were sold *decades* ago, partly based upon the fact they were "unfilmable" and because J.R.R. needed to pay off some taxes or something.

Meanwhile, Crhistopher Tolkien is being an ass and won't release anything else. But he's 90 years old... and his kids seem fine with the movies. (I think there were massive family disagreements over it, but its been years since I read anything on the matter)

Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    Although he supposedly disowned his son, barrister and novelist Simon Mario Reuel Tolkien, partly after a dispute surrounding the making of the The Lord of the Rings film trilogy,[12] they have now reconciled.

In 2001, he received some attention for his stance toward The Lord of the Rings film trilogy directed by Peter Jackson. He expressed doubts over the viability of a film interpretation that retained the essence of the work, but stressed that this was just his opinion.[14] He voiced sharper criticism in a 2012 interview with Le Monde: "They gutted the book, making an action film for 15 to 25-year-olds."[15]

In 2008 Christopher Tolkien commenced legal proceedings against New Line Cinema, which he claimed owed his family £80 million in unpaid royalties.[16] In September 2009, he and New Line reached an undisclosed settlement, and he has withdrawn his legal objection to the The Hobbit films.[17]
    So yeah. He has objections but was willing to quiet down when there was money on the table.

That said, as "unfilmable" as LotR was... Silmarillion REALLY is, in the same way the bible pretty much is, so I don't think I'd want to see it on screen anyway. And Jackson doesn't need that hanging around him in ten years when he's 60.

If Christopher Tolkien had his way, the LoTR trilogy would be mostly Frodo and Sam walking through the shire and constantly taking breaks and singing. And Tom Bombadil *shudder*
    Last edited by TLC; December 12th, 2014 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Sadly, this is what the hobbit trilogy is like.

Tom Bombadil is amazing, don't take his name in vain! And yeah the battle of 5 armies is nothing like walking and singing. Although they do have the required Jackson-landscape shots with people climbing mountains. Just twice though, so it's fine.
    3DS friend code: 2964-8756-2295
    Games: Pokemon Y & Alpha Sapphire

I got the extended version of the hobbit today, really eager to see it. The length doesn't matter, nothing seems long anymore after seeing the extended version of Once Upon a Time in America
    I wonder what they'll do after the Hobbit movies. The Silmarillion is impossible, so maybe a children of of Hurin movie?

Or we might get another Tintin movie that him and Spielberg has been discussing

Quote Originally Posted by TLC View Post
    If Christopher Tolkien had his way, the LoTR trilogy would be mostly Frodo and Sam walking through the shire and constantly taking breaks and singing. And Tom Bombadil *shudder*
    Out of everything in Lord of the Rings, I really doubt "singing" would be up there in terms of problems.
    Last edited by Ordinary; December 12th, 2014 at 09:38 PM. Reason: I think they were out of the shire by Book 1(not FotR, book 1 of 6).

The Tolkien Estate will not give up the rights to The Silmarillion as of yet...perhaps when the next generation is making the call.

Next, Peter Jackson needs to direct that episode of Doctor Who that he's been promising in exchange for a Dalek prop.

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    That said, as "unfilmable" as LotR was... Silmarillion REALLY is, in the same way the bible pretty much is, so I don't think I'd want to see it on screen anyway. And Jackson doesn't need that hanging around him in ten years when he's 60.
    They could easilly make a trilogy out of each story. But it's not really a material that would translate well into film. Maybe into a mini-series or something, but with budget requirements I don't really see it.

I expect some parts of Silmarilion will get filmed eventually, and the screenwriters will have to fill in some parts of the story to make it watchable. Not really thrilled by that prospect.

They should really give up on LOTR and go after some other works of fantasy. There are awesome books by authors such as Guy Gavriel Key, Joe Abercrombie, R. Scott Bakker etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

I assume this will be an extra on the dvd in a year's time.

That was an amazing episode. Colbert going out with a bang.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information