+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 408 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Thread: The PlayStation Thread

Default Re: Sony Hit & Misses

What I want to know is, why do people say the PS3 lacks gameplay?

GAMES deliver gameplay.

Not systems.

Also wasn't Saturn great for 2d but less competent for 3d than Playstation?
    Precisely.

The system couldn't pump out crisp 3D graphics as it was slightly less powerful whereas the PS could pump more power but was 'harder to develop for'.

In so few words: "The graphics weren't as good."

So bringing up Saturn as a 'failure' really doesn't have a place/point considering Wii's standings. It was a rockin' system.

Since it was brought up, just have to mention my love for the Saturn.

Oh, and although the 3D fighters looked worse than the PS versions (like Toshinden), it was mostly opposite for 2D fighting games. For example, the Saturn versions of Capcom fighters were usually much closer to the arcade versions than the PS versions (PS versions were usually missing more frames of animation than the Saturn versions). Although I don't know the precise technical reasons (since I don't really care how systems work), I have read several times in the past that it had to do with the Saturn having more built in system RAM than the PS. Anyway, that's the most common answer for the better 2D abilities of the Saturn when it came to frames of animation (never checked to see if it's true though).

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Because people are stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Carter View Post
    Good thing that everytime I'm afraid I'll have the will to live I can browse Arlong Park have it utterly eliminated

Snow Cookie

Quote Originally Posted by dlo62282 View Post
    Graphics at its peak? I dont think so. The ps2 had good graphics and great games. You are media whore because you want great graphics and great gameplay? That makes sense.

Hate how people judging gameplay of systems that even havent came out yet. The WII is not innovative as you think it is.
    Okay... maybe graphics and gameplay are good. But all the little extras that make the system cost so much can go to hell. By the way, how far do you think people would have to go to make a better system just to impress you?

By the way media whore meant you are just buying the system for stupid reasons, like just to be cool. Take a look at the Ps3... the controller? wireless, granted, but its a rehash of the ps2's controller, very innovative... the design of the system? resembles an old sega master system or a waffle iron. Sure Sony beefed up the graphics, its reverse compatible with Ps2 CDs, it has higher res. but all in all its nothing new. Okay maybe it will overload on power and burn down your house but who am I to say? the Wii, sure it doesn't have all the things the ps3 has, but I find the controller is new, the system itself is small, compatible will most TVs, will have a large line up of old and new games, its reverse compatible with the Cube, it will not eat your budget, the zapper add-on actually is kinda hot and will be good in first person shooters.

But then again all systems have their flaws. And its mostly up to the individual him/herself on what is a factor of their video game perspective. Hit or miss?

Okay... maybe graphics and gameplay are good. But all the little extras that make the system cost so much can go to hell. By the way, how far do you think people would have to go to make a better system just to impress you?
    If you support the Wii then shame on you for blowing all this on Sony.

By the way media whore meant you are just buying the system for stupid reasons, like just to be cool. Take a look at the Ps3... the controller? wireless, granted, but its a rehash of the ps2's controller, very innovative...
    And we all complained when Sony rehashed the design from the PS1 didn't we.....

the design of the system? resembles an old sega master system or a waffle iron.
    lol opinions

Sure Sony beefed up the graphics, its reverse compatible with Ps2 CDs, it has higher res. but all in all its nothing new. Okay maybe it will overload on power and burn down your house but who am I to say?
    Obviously the Wii's nothing new to you then. Reverse compatibility, some beefing up of the graphics, and some progressive scan on the Wii's part.

the Wii, sure it doesn't have all the things the ps3 has, but I find the controller is new, the system itself is small, compatible will most TVs, will have a large line up of old and new games, its reverse compatible with the Cube, it will not eat your budget, the zapper add-on actually is kinda hot and will be good in first person shooters.
    You hear that composite cables on the Wii on LCD's and that stuff looks FUGLY, right? The PS3 is reverse compatible with all its previous generations too, in fact, I don't see why you're making fun of the PS3. And I think the PS3 has

That doesn't mean I won't be getting a Wii, granted, but anything you say can be easily applied to the Wii, sooo......

The only thing barring me from the PS3 is the price, and that my household only gets one video game console anyway, so I'll ease on my parents and just get the Wii, cause SSB:B is awesome (and it's easier to bring around to parties). But the PS3 is for those who want it, and I see why they would.
    Avatar provided by Ferntree on DeviantArt.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Cookie View Post
    Take a look at the Ps3... the controller? wireless, granted, but its a rehash of the ps2's controller, very innovative...
    I know everybody's sick of this cliche by now... but if it aint broke, don't fix it.
    Doesn't really apply to the Wii because it was probably beneficial to change it in order to work well with the motion sensing stuff.

A guy at gamestop told me that the ps3 will download its games to the harddrive before playing them, to cut down load times, meaning that each time you change games, there will be a six to ten minute wait as it loads. This sounds silly, but after looking at the psp's load times, it's possible. Has anyone else heard this?

O, yeah, that. Except I heard it cut down from something like 12 to 15 seconds to 3 to 4, or something like that. Something in the seconds range.
    Avatar provided by Ferntree on DeviantArt.

But all the little extras that make the system cost so much can go to hell.
    AHA!!!! SEE MRED!!!!! This is precisely what I was talking about!!!!

http://apforums.net/showpost.php?p=388359&postcount=19

BOO-YAH!

A guy at gamestop told me that the ps3 will download its games to the harddrive before playing them
    As I understand it, to download the games or not is an option.

All day, every day TakinawaTonfa's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post

GAMES deliver gameplay.

Not systems.
    Simple Answer: People on the Internet hate normal things, so they especially hate PS3 games which haven't even come out yet.

(As a side note, always wear your wrist straps. One of our ad girls became so engrossed in tennis that the Wii remote slipped from her hand and crashed into a nearby wall at mach speeds; luckily, although the strap broke, the back case flew off and the batteries spilled out, it all worked again when we put it back together.)
    From IGN's review of Wii Sports regarding a first-time player.

Here's the thing. This is the kind of stuff I could give two shits about. But if this was the PS3, people would be all the fuck over Sony like locusts with charges of cheap controller design, awful planning etc. etc.
    Last edited by Greg; November 14th, 2006 at 02:12 AM.

It seems like it is "cool" to hate on Sony because of the price or other absurd reasons.

People talk about 2 systems gameplay when they are not even out yet. What people fail to realize all that EXTRA stuff on the Ps3 give developers of games more ways to MAKE BETTER GAMES.

Who cares about the design of the system? Does that really matter that much? I rather have to stuff that is inside.

The controller is good and I guess they could of added more buttons but that could be a disaster. The Wii controller is interesting but it looks like it can get annoying and repetitive. It reminds me of the GLOVE. Also like the ps2, I am sure the ps3 is going to have other attachments like the gun and etc. I doubt if they have a sword one so *pats nitendo on the back*. I guess for all the sword games Nitendo wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Precisely.

The system couldn't pump out crisp 3D graphics as it was slightly less powerful whereas the PS could pump more power but was 'harder to develop for'.

In so few words: "The graphics weren't as good."

So bringing up Saturn as a 'failure' really doesn't have a place/point considering Wii's standings. It was a rockin' system.

Well depends what you consider a failure. For a gamer it wasn't a failure as it had lots of great games worth playing, but again you can say that for most of the systems of the past decade with the exception of Atari Jaguar and 3DO. Still, it was a commercial failure and contributed to Sega's switch to third party, so yeah, you could say it was a failure.

Ah, but what made it a commercial failure?

Was it the fact that Sony zapped up all the attention?

How about the fact that in that round 'exclusive' titles were limited and Saturn usually ound up with sloppy seconds of what PS has success with.

Or how about lack of mainstream titles? Yes, it had rockin' games, but I think we can all agree they were for niche audiences.

Many different things contributed to the Sega's downfall, and most that I can think of id not suffer that.

Unless people just stop wanting the huge list of series continuing on Sony, I can't see that happening.

Unless...people just instantly lose all interest in series like Metal Gear or Final Fantasy. Aaaaaand I don't think something like that will happen just yet.

The important thing is that it doesn't become a one-trick pony and starts plenty of new series, just like the PS2 did.

Quote Originally Posted by dlo62282 View Post
    It seems like it is "cool" to hate on Sony because of the price or other absurd reasons.
    Well, after what? 10 years of it being cool to hate Nintendo because games that did not feature a headshot every ten seconds were only for babies it was time for a change.
    I'm still going to get both, I'll just wait 2, 3 years until I buy a PS3.
    paptschik and the quest for the lost signature...

10 years of it being cool to hate Nintendo because games that did not feature a headshot every ten seconds were only for babies it was time for a change.
    When in the hell was it ever cool to hate Nintendo?

I was a total Nintendo fanboy when I was in middle school.

When the PS came out I was mad pissed and mocked Sony for their pitiful efforts to even attempt to make a video game system.

And then I realized what a stupid dipshit I was for bashing a system I'd never even touched.

No one's opinion that has ever mattered ever bashed Nintendo for having a certain type of game. We NEED those kinds of games. Don't deny it, embrace it.

Goddamn, are people's ego that fragile that they don't like it when some jackass mocks their favorite video game system? Is that what all the bullshyt is about? Revenge of the Pokemon generation?

Please, Nintendo never stopped being cool. Anyone who says otherwise has their head stuck up their @ss and anyone who believes what they say is sharing the same hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Actually dude, a third party developer is working on designing a rumble feature. The question is whether developers will choose to support a feature like that from a non-Sony product.

Lovely tribute ava by the way!
    That doesn't really answer my question if future games I get are gonna be ripped of their rumble feature.

And thanks, miracle what being bored with photoshop opened can produce.

The game technology and rumble technology are two separate but intertwined issues.

Sony dropped it. A POWERFUL third-party accessory developer (name escapes but article was on IGN) may be picking up the reigns.

The question is whether developers will embrace it. That's entirely up to them and well, it could just end up being a waste of their time so I'd personally say it DOESN'T look good, but at least they're pursuing it.

Something to munch on though. The dual analog controller was originally released well into the PS's life-cycle. Could there be a metamorphosis in line for SIXAXIS that utilizes new technology (ie. different from what was ruled against)? Sure. It could.

Greg, it seems that you are intentionally warping my point to your advantage so i'll just make it a little more specific

Before we did not know such features existed on any other next gen console, besides Ps3, or Xbox 360, which has a Medieum to high price point, Now the wii has such features, people are glad that their is a system within they're price range that is able to compete with the other system's features

Also, You talk about Irony?
    The sony fanbots, or the other loyalist seem to be passing off the Wii's features as nothing special, Hell i've seen people say "THE PS3 CONTROLLER ISN'T A GIMMICK IT WILL CHANGE GAMING" while they Scouf at the idea of the Wii's remote

But i am not one that enjoys using broad strokes so i will not try to pass of what i've said about Sony loyalist at fact, or use it as any leverage in the current argument

Edit-wait...didn't i just use it as leverage...D: i hope i didn't

but so far greg it seems you deliberatly Mis-understand me
    But that might be the case D:
    Last edited by --MRED--; November 14th, 2006 at 08:17 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information