+ Reply to Thread
Page 412 of 413 FirstFirst ... 312 362 402 410 411 412 413 LastLast
Results 8,221 to 8,240 of 8245

Thread: The PlayStation Thread

Default Re: The PlayStation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by KaizokuFan22 View Post
    ALso, is there a way to transfer PS4 data to another system?
    If you have PS+ you can cloud save everything. Otherwise, if you have an external harddrive or a 3.0 flash drive you can copy stuff to that, there's an option somewhere in the settings, though the drive has to be formatted first.

If you don't have a PS4 yet, here's a great deal starting at midnight.

I already upgraded to the 1TB PS4 through the Spiderman bundle so I'm too lazy to hop on this one lol.

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by NateRich View Post
    If you don't have a PS4 yet, here's a great deal starting at midnight.

I already upgraded to the 1TB PS4 through the Spiderman bundle so I'm too lazy to hop on this one lol.
    I think last year had a better deal actually, as you got the $200 PS4 and a $50 giftcard for buying one. That's the one I snagged. This year, though, I spent that same amount on a PSVR bundle. Love that thing, feels like I'm in an early mode of the OASIS from Ready Player One.

RAISED WEBBING, BABY!

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/stat...07456200851456

How do you embed Twitter links?

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3762-9083

I've a bit of a hiatus, I've finally gotten around to playing Uncharted 4. I'm about halfway through and all I can say is goddamn these chapters are long.

Discovered Stowaway

More of a technical question than a software one, so bear with me. There was a pretty bad windstorm in my neighborhood on Sunday and the power blinked out for a fraction of a second, meaning it came back on before I had time to flip the switch on my power strip. My PS4 got fried apparently, and while I'm hoping it can be repaired, if not, would it be worth replacing it with a PS4 Pro? I'm not sure what the difference is apart from possibly having a larger hard drive capacity, but I'd also like more than just the 1 USB port that works normally and the one that seems like it's dedicated for PSVR. I don't really do online gaming and I don't have a PS Gold account so if the Pro is mainly for stuff like that, then it's not something I would need.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    I've a bit of a hiatus, I've finally gotten around to playing Uncharted 4. I'm about halfway through and all I can say is goddamn these chapters are long.
    It follows the U2/U3 pattern of having obnoxiously long stage-setting chapters, which are even more killer on replays.

Lost Legacy did it, too, to a somewhat lesser extent.

Quote Originally Posted by BattleFranky69 View Post
    More of a technical question than a software one, so bear with me. There was a pretty bad windstorm in my neighborhood on Sunday and the power blinked out for a fraction of a second, meaning it came back on before I had time to flip the switch on my power strip. My PS4 got fried apparently, and while I'm hoping it can be repaired, if not, would it be worth replacing it with a PS4 Pro? I'm not sure what the difference is apart from possibly having a larger hard drive capacity, but I'd also like more than just the 1 USB port that works normally and the one that seems like it's dedicated for PSVR. I don't really do online gaming and I don't have a PS Gold account so if the Pro is mainly for stuff like that, then it's not something I would need.
    It's a major hardware revision that can run games at higher resolution/framerate, apart from probably a few form factor changes. It's definitely the way to go if you can afford it.

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by Foolio View Post
    It's a major hardware revision that can run games at higher resolution/framerate, apart from probably a few form factor changes. It's definitely the way to go if you can afford it.
    Oh, so it can cut down on things like loading times for some games? That'll definitely be a plus. But the local(ish) repair place said they can probably fix the one I have, so if that's the case it'll save me a couple hundred bucks. I'll be interested in getting a Pro later on, if it can cut down on how long I have to wait for Ark: Survival Evolved to boot up.

Load times might be one of the only things not noticeably better. That mostly depends on the hard drive speed and I doubt they're putting faster ones in. Your best bet there would be to replace the drive yourself with a good SSD. But who knows, maybe they've optimized something memory-related that improves game load times.

Quote Originally Posted by BattleFranky69 View Post
    In theory it's a stronger system that can do somewhat better graphics and resolution, so if you're rocking a 4K tv maybe... but in practice every game on it needs to also run on the regular PS4, and most of the internals are the same, so no developer is really pushing to the limits where its going to make a huge difference.

We'll probably start hearing about the PS5 this year with a release next year, so its a ways yet to the next gen... but at the same time, probably not so far off that you want to spend big bucks on the current one.

If you can get it at a good price, sure, but if you can get the regular PS4 for 100$ less, probably stick with that.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Discovered Stowaway

I do recall a friend mentioning that I'd need a better TV than I have to get the most out of it, so if the processing speed isn't really going to improve noticeably, then it probably won't be worth upgrading and I'll just wait for the PS5 to give Sony any more filthy lucre. They better damn well do a better job this time around with backward compatibility, that's all I'm going to say.

The processor is VASTLY superior in the Pro. It's not even close. In addition to plenty of other things if we want to get technical, like a separate extra GB of dedicated video memory. And even if you don't have a 4K TV, it often runs games better and at a higher and more stable frame rate. If you can fix your PS4 that's one thing, but if you have to get a new one anyway it'd be a bit silly not to get the latest model at this point.

It's a little like the New 3DS... I never bought one because I have a perfectly good 3DS XL, but boy do some games just chug on it sometimes, whereas they perform significantly better on the upgraded hardware (Pokémon Sun/Moon especially come to mind). Oh and the PS5's existence, announcement and release date are all 100% rumors at this point and deciding based on that is even dumber. Backwards compatibility is highly unlikely but hey who knows. Maybe it'll also have a built-in toaster.

PS5 is probably 2020, but it'll most likely be backward compatible with PS4 games. It would be stupid not to because Xbox 4 100% is going to be backward compatible XBO. It's just the way things are going.

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3762-9083

It's highly dependent on the CPU/GPU architecture and design they go for. I wouldn't argue it's necessarily "the way things are going" though. The One X is backwards compatible with XBone simply because they're both just cheap PCs that might as well run Windows, but the architectures were different on the 360 and previous (compatibility there is select based on what would emulate smoothly).

With the Wii and Wii U Nintendo included dual hardware sets to run the previous gen games (and also making it super easy to exploit and hack their bad OS and firmware lol), but the Switch being portable and non-disc based made that impossible.

But for Sony:
    The PS2 had to include PS1 chips inside to run the games.
    The PS3 had to include PS2 chips inside to make it backwards-compatible. Until they took it out to reduce console prices. From then on there was no PS2 compatibility and PS1 compatibility existed purely through emulation (luckily it was fairly easy to emulate the instruction set at the speeds required, though a few games won't run still AFAIK)
    The PS4 has no backwards compatibility.

Now the PS4 did go to the standard x86 CPU architecture, probably in part due to complaints about how hard it was to program for the PS3's custom chip. If for the assumed PS5 they do nothing radical or innovative by simply putting out a faster x86 processor and a mostly-standard GPU, maybe backwards compatibility might not be a big deal. But if they try to push limits or get creative hardware-wise there's a good chance it won't be so easy. This could be in several different ways such as changing the CPU instruction set, changing the GPU integration, moving away from spinning discs / BluRay, etc.

It also depends entirely on what they're thinking. The Switch is a massive success despite having no compatibility and having an ARM-based processor. It's getting many cross-platform titles too, proving people are more than willing to put in the coding effort as long as you make a compelling product with a large player base. So right now, without having ANY clue what the PS5 might even be? I'm gonna go with the odds not being automatically in favor of backwards compatibility.

I think most people at this point consider "backwards compatible" to mean "can I buy it off the digital store and play it" rather than "can I insert the old disk and have it play."

PS4 plays PS1, 2 and 3 games in varying ways and capacities, I imagine the PS5 will be able to play PS4 games.... but you'll have to buy them again, "remastered" or "classic" edition or whatever they warrant as a new label to justify you buying the same game for the third time.

You have to install the games to the harddrive even with the disk anyway, AND leave the disk inserted, so what's the point in getting the physical copies anymore? (Unless you have crappy slow slow internet or just want the safety)

We're not likely going to get the "your old purchase is still good" again, but "you can rebuy this old game and it'll run" is probably here to stay.

Though obviously they have to run things through a process to make that work and they don't do it for everything. It took them years to get Suikoden 2 and 3 onto the PS3, and they still haven't upshilled them for the PS4, so its not likely they every will.

Except for stuff like That Game Company. I bought Flower and Journey on PS3 and then got to keep it on the PS4. That was nice.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Well that's not what backwards-compatible means, like at all. But even for that, as opposed to true hardware compatibility, options are very limited. It's either 1) emulate games, 2) manually port or re-write games from scratch, or 3) a service like PlayStation Now.

1) is very difficult and complex in many ways. I'm sure they'll keep releasing "classics" for titles they've figured out run well emulated, but it's not likely to really ever happen for PS3 games or anything modern enough to be taxing to emulate.

2) is not likely unless the architectures are already close enough to just have backwards-compatibility in the first place. The exception of course is games written in a generic engine that gets updated to run on new platforms (like say, Unity). In that case devs can port their game to the new version of the engine and have a good chance or releasing it again on new platforms. But probably not for free.

3) is just gaming as a service, hosted in the cloud. I have not tried it and have no idea how good of an experience it is for PS3 games. I can't imagine the performance is great, between bandwidth required and the input delay. There's no reason they couldn't continue doing it if they wanted, but to cloud-host more modern games especially at high resolution/fps would require an extremely fast connection.

Edit: reasons to own the physical copy include being able to to lend it or resell it, not relying on your console and a digital storefront to play the game at any time in the future, being anywhere without great internet access or restricted access, being a fan of physical goods for collector's reasons or otherwise, good special editions, and probably 100 more that aren't coming to mind immediately.
    Last edited by Foolio; January 11th, 2019 at 03:08 PM.

PS3 emulation is actually something that's happening right now. It's still pretty early but I'd imagine that Sony, with the people that know more about the hardware and how everything works, would be able to make a better emulator than the people making the PS3 emulator right now. I haven't tried it myself and I'm sure it requires a somewhat powerful machine but a PS5, depending on how powerful it is if it comes out in the next few years, might have the power of a computer that can run the emulator well right now.

I mean it's something that's barely starting to become possible after 10+ years. I suppose it's conceivable for Sony to get a select few games running adequately and sell them if they want to pour a ton of effort into emulation and it's a sufficiently powerful system. Could be nice. But robust compatibility is doubtful. Plus it'd be easier for them to keep PS Now. As an interesting aside, N64 emulation still sucks after over 20 years. And as amazing as Dolphin is, they only just a couple years ago got every title to even BOOT, let alone be playable. If you're curious: Dolphin blog. Emulation can get pretty crazy.

The N64 still not emulating well (though the times I've tried it have been mostly fine and the games haven't had major issues, though I'm not someone that pays attention to smaller things that result from not being extremely accurate) is pretty depressing since it's one of the systems I'd emulate the most. The newest emulator you use through Retroarch is apparently a big step in the right direction though and is what I've been using recently. I'd be really happy with some companies rereleasing HD versions of N64 games (preferably on PC, since the Rare collection being Xbone exclusive sucks) kind of like the Turok remasters. Though most of the big ones are probably either licensed by Nintendo, made by Rare, or by companies that don't exist anymore. I've been wanting to try out the PS3 emulation but I didn't bother after finding out that that Jojo fighting game's DLC doesn't work with the emulator.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information