+ Reply to Thread
Page 406 of 408 FirstFirst ... 306 356 396 404 405 406 407 408 LastLast
Results 8,101 to 8,120 of 8146

Thread: The PlayStation Thread

Default Re: The PlayStation Thread

http://www.metacritic.com/g00/game/p...rer=&i10c.ua=1

If there was any doubt the remake of Shadow of the Colossus wouldn't be good.

There was no doubt it would look nice. There is doubt of if the actual game is any fun, or if exploring the map is any fun. Do they fix the gameplay of a couple of Collosus that, while cool, are near impossible to actually get on? Do you still have to hunt for stupid random lizards in order to build your grip strength to get the endgame secrets?

The scope of the game was always the impressive thing about it. The overall experience and cinema of it was always fine. The gameplay itself.... wasn't necessarily.

Spoiler:

I'm so planning to get the Spyro trilogy remastered. The Spyro games were some of my favorite games on the PS1 and I can't wait for the HD remastered of Ripto's Rage. Since that's my favorite game of the original 3 Spyro games.

Didn't they butcher Spyro in the PS3 release?

Don't know what specific Butcher you're talking about, but the team behind the recent Crash Bandicoot remaster is doing his, and they didn't butcher anything.

I'm excited. I'd always loved Spyro more than Crash. Well, 3 most of all- from what I recall. It had a very interesting group of playable characters.

Holy moley, Ratchet and Clank and Bloodborne are PSPlus Games for March: https://twitter.com/PlayStation/stat...86384776839169
    Hang in there, Kierkegaard.

Quote Originally Posted by tatermoog View Post
    Holy moley, Ratchet and Clank and Bloodborne are PSPlus Games for March: https://twitter.com/PlayStation/stat...86384776839169
    Wow that’s a great lineup

Last edited by mario time; February 28th, 2018 at 10:04 AM.

Oh hey, Mighty No 9, too! So, uh...

Hey guys, Bloodborne and Ratchet and Clank.

Solid games.

That I already own.

Oh well, fantastic set this month for people that don't. BB is worth the PS subscription alone.

I'd actually gotten rid of BB, so this might encourage me to give it another shot.

I'm mainly glad to see R&C reach the largest audience possible, because a.) it's very good, and b.) I want more of them.

I'd actually gotten rid of BB, so this might encourage me to give it another shot.

I'm mainly glad to see R&C reach the largest audience possible, because a.) it's very good, and b.) I want more of them.
    Isn't b part of the reason for why the series kind of fell off?

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Solid games.

That I already own.
    And incidentally were picks on recent Flash Sales.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    Isn't b part of the reason for why the series kind of fell off?
    eh, to an extent

First three were all classics, followed by a rush job that was bridging the gap between consoles. Think the fall-off in the PS3 days was more to do with an overall decline in platformers and turn to FPS and third-person action-adventure (which Insomniac tried to capitalize on, as well). For that matter, Insomniac had a bad habit of trying to capitalize on trends in general just at the moment after they had peaked in popularity.

But the most recent one is just about at the heights of the originals, and I believe it actually was the best-selling R&C thus far.

I thought the last one was pretty average coming off of A Crack In Time.
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Ratchet & Clank 2016 has the baggage of having the movie's already mediocre cutscenes and original supporting characters, so the story and humor is neutered pretty hard. And it has a several of the planets from the original first installment are either fused or excluded. And the in-game cutscenes are so awkwardly stiff compared to cutscenes from every other game, they must have been limited by budget and time to meet the movie's release date.

But when it comes to the core third-person shooter platformer gameplay, it's the most refined in the franchise hands down. The graphics and enemy animations are so damn gorgeous, it's easily one of the best looking PS4 games. This game has underwater sections for the first time in a decade and the spaceship gameplay is actually intuitive and fun (the only other installment I can give this praise to is A Crack in Time. If they could just combine the space overworld hub from that game and the 360 degree movement in this game...).

I'd put Going Commando, Up Your Arsenal, and A Crack in Time above R&C 2016, but it's still an enjoyable experience. I'm just glad that full Ratchet & Clank games with traditional gameplay are back for the first time since 2009, not counting Into the Nexus since that was short (yet had excellent gameplay, it would probably be the best game in the series, barring the lack of Dr. Nefarious, if it was properly expanded).

It's still a shame that none of the modern games have soundtracks as memorable as the original trilogy though. Not there aren't decent tracks in recent games, but for the most part they go for this bland cinematic orchestra music. They sound like background noise, the type of forgettable tracks you hear in most Marvel movies. while the PS2 game soundtracks had distinct sci-fi sounding tunes blending techno/synths with theremin, and heavy brass themes suiting heavy artillery action. The 2016 game would have honestly been better off just remixing the themes from the first and third games.

Spoiler:

I hope we don't have to wait too long for a new game after Spider-Man PS4 is finally released. You know, are they actually going to stick with that title? Just... Spider-Man? That would be a bit lame.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    But when it comes to the core third-person shooter platformer gameplay, it's the most refined in the franchise hands down. The graphics and enemy animations are so damn gorgeous, it's easily one of the best looking PS4 games. This game has underwater sections for the first time in a decade
    I wouldn't mark those as a good thing given the Sewer Escape sequence on Rilgar.....that and up until you get the oxygen mask you have Quark constantly point out Ratchet can't stay submerged for long.

I hope we don't have to wait too long for a new game after Spider-Man PS4 is finally released. You know, are they actually going to stick with that title? Just... Spider-Man? That would be a bit lame.
    To be fair subtitles of the earlier spider-man games were little better either being too on the nose, or just corny.

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    I wouldn't mark those as a good thing given the Sewer Escape sequence on Rilgar.....that and up until you get the oxygen mask you have Quark constantly point out Ratchet can't stay submerged for long.
    I barely had any issues with the sewer escape. At most I failed one or two times my first time playing the game. But Qwark was as annoying as a Pokemon professor, I agree.

To be fair subtitles of the earlier spider-man games were little better either being too on the nose, or just corny.
    As long as they avoid mentioning supervillain names and doing spider puns, the subtitles can be okay. Shattered Dimensions and Edge of Time are tolerable subtitles that sound like names for comic book arcs.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

Ratchet & Clank 2016 has the baggage of having the movie's already mediocre cutscenes and original supporting characters, so the story and humor is neutered pretty hard. And it has a several of the planets from the original first installment are either fused or excluded. And the in-game cutscenes are so awkwardly stiff compared to cutscenes from every other game, they must have been limited by budget and time to meet the movie's release date.

But when it comes to the core third-person shooter platformer gameplay, it's the most refined in the franchise hands down. The graphics and enemy animations are so damn gorgeous, it's easily one of the best looking PS4 games. This game has underwater sections for the first time in a decade and the spaceship gameplay is actually intuitive and fun (the only other installment I can give this praise to is A Crack in Time. If they could just combine the space overworld hub from that game and the 360 degree movement in this game...).
    Right. They've got the gameplay of R&C down to such a science that a new iteration with other weapons and new planets is always nice, but considering how much they've improved on graphics and animation...it's about as good as you get with platforming nowadays.

I hope we don't have to wait too long for a new game after Spider-Man PS4 is finally released.
    Insomniac has been running parallel teams for a while, and judging from their output in the last year, wouldn't surprise me if they have a new R&C ready by end of this year. Original release date of the first was in 2015 (before pushing back for the movie), and it sold way too well to slow-play it.

Right. They've got the gameplay of R&C down to such a science that a new iteration with other weapons and new planets is always nice, but considering how much they've improved on graphics and animation...it's about as good as you get with platforming nowadays.
    Pretty much. I'm always game for some reinvention though. A bunch of big series is doing it nowadays. Mario, Zelda, Crash, God of War, etc.

Insomniac has been running parallel teams for a while, and judging from their output in the last year, wouldn't surprise me if they have a new R&C ready by end of this year. Original release date of the first was in 2015 (before pushing back for the movie), and it sold way too well to slow-play it.
    Definitely not this year, but I see your point. Despite how well the game sold though, we also have to take into account how the game was based on a movie (based on a game) that failed. Which might have lowered morale for making Ratchet & Clank for Insomniac. We have no idea, although I am sure we will get a new game by 2020.

Spoiler:

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information