+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 408 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 104 ... LastLast

Thread: The PlayStation Thread

Default Re: Sony Hit & Misses

Quote Originally Posted by Le Lawliet View Post
    Aw man, I was going to buy japanese ps2 games once i get PS3 but that will not happen, Well aleast i could get Japanese PS3 games

Kamen Rider OOOs

All day, every day TakinawaTonfa's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Le Lawliet View Post
    Oh, Fuddruckers.

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

And that is why there are modchips :)

2. If they drain all their stocks within the first few days of launch, and their production rate is low, refilling the supply chain is going to be slow and result in angry customers.
    This my friends, is the very heart and core of the issue. Sony, despite missing shipment expectations (which may/may not happen) will be mostly unphased. They can handle any hit like that because...well....they're Sony.

But will it make the customers angry and therefore ruin their product?

Okay, honest answers folks. Ready?

How many of you are planning on buying a PS3 on launch?

*looks around*

Okay, s'what I thought. Not only is Resistance not strong enough to make me want a launch PS3, but the few technical issues which are bound to pop up also TERRIFY ME.

That said, what do the majority of us care whether they have enough launch units or not?

Furthermore, if you're rabid and in-freaking-sane enough to want a launch PS3, chances are you're a massive Sony fanboy and you totally know what to expect with respect to total dissappointment.

Therefore, not meeting launch shipment expectations may affect their stock a bit but won't do much damage and furthermore, I doubt it holds the potential to piss the overwhelming majority of gamers off because....well....we're expecting it.

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer Local-chan's Avatar

Well done sony, you fucked up again.

http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=7210

from what I can gather, the March release date is still not 100% definite.

I must admit, if I had pre-ordered the PS3, I would have asked for my money back, this is just getting silly now.

if I had pre-ordered the PS3
    AHA!

IF!

This clearly indicates that you're a sane person. And therefore, what's the point of complaining about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    That said, what do the majority of us care whether they have enough launch units or not?

Well, if you're planning to get one 6 months/1 year/2 years out, you may be basing that plan on the assumption that it will have done well and established a firm market position first.

Just imagine the guy who said "I'll wait a year, save up, and buy a CD-I / 3DO / Saturn / Insert Other Obscure Console Mess here"

A disasterous launch could torpedo those plans.

Snow Cookie

Christmas may make things even worse for the PS3 stock. Sony with a firm market position? Thats a laugh. Every department store will have shorter availability of that system than the Wii. I will feel sorry for a parent buying their kids that thing for xmas. Spending $600+ could do better for a college fund. Oh the stupidity.

I couldn't care less on the system graphics, all the great games from the past had a low bit rate. Games nowadays have reached the graphical peak and now have to rely on innovative game play. If you bow to nothing but the graphics, HDTV, DVD/blu-ray enhanced stuff, by succuming to being a media whore, you ignore the gameplay itself. Which is sad.

I ranted. I'm happy. :)

Just imagine the guy who said "I'll wait a year, save up, and buy a CD-I / 3DO / Saturn / Insert Other Obscure Console Mess here"
    Hey, hey, hey.

This is the problem here folks. Now take a serious look at the systems you listed there. Who put them out and what established base did they have?

And how can you put Saturn on there? Saturn had a perfectly normal and fantastic life-cycle. Saturn was the first system to offer arcade experience at home and with HUGE gems on its list like Panzer Dragoon (2) (Saga), Fighting Vipers, Virtua Fighter Series, Castlevania, Resident Evil, Guardian Heroes, DBZ Legends, Clockwork Knight (2) and a SLEW of other arcade and PC titles which had their first chance on systems.

Saturn was a GREAT system.

In fact, if you want to REALLY look at the biggest complaint back then? I remember it quite well. Very well in fact.

It was well-recognized that the PS was harder to develop for, but the Saturn's big set-back was........it was a less powerful machine.

*SHOCK*

Hopefully you see the irony of this scenario.

Anyway, back to the point of this. Now look at the rest of those. All first-timers or half-assed attempts.

Sony is neither of those.

3DO and the rest never had even one thing that could be considered a 'killer app' . Great graphics for their time? Yeah! But not one title anyone could remember playing for 'the fun of it'.

If you don't like series like Resident Evil, Kingdom Hearts, Clockwork Tower, Silent Hill, Final Fantasy, Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Solid, Ico (SotC), Fatal Frame, etc. that were either established and/or expanded upon through PS2 then you have no reason to be excited.

But if you enjoyed at least one of them...a lot....then the PS3 already has a killer app for you. In fact, from what I hear, Resistance is a killer app at launch. It's not my style pesonally but what the hell.

The point is, it's not like Sony isn't supporting the system and developers aren't already hard at work making awesome games for it.

The cloud of negativity and constant 'what if's' that continually circle back to worst-case scenarios is really quite boring. Not to mention highly unlikely.

Hey, hey, hey.

This is the problem here folks. Now take a serious look at the systems you listed there. Who put them out and what established base did they have?
    CD-I was a Philips product; I'd say they had a fair amount of weight as a company to prop it up.

And how can you put Saturn on there? Saturn had a perfectly normal and fantastic life-cycle.
    I'm not debating the quality of it, but in terms of system sales, it doesn't seem to have been a huge winner.

I enjoy looking at the electronics sections of secondhand shops for interesting novelties, cheap NES cartridges, and such. I've seen NES units, SNES units, a million Genesises, and the occasional N64, PS1, and Dreamcast, but I've never seen a Saturn. Either they sold poorly, or they don't fail and get dumped in the donation box.

I perhaps misread the Saturn's history (it was a generation I skipped), but I get the impression it didn't develop a huge market base which would help support a library of games.
    The point is, it's not like Sony isn't supporting the system and developers aren't already hard at work making awesome games for it.
    Sony is Sony. It can afford to throw good money after bad. But third-party developers will need a fair installed base to ensure they get their investment back on development.

Just thought I would throw this comic into the discussion...

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=212
    If I think I'm insane, does it mean I'm not? Because a truly insane person wouldn't know that they are insane?

CD-I was a Philips product; I'd say they had a fair amount of weight as a company to prop it up.
    What developers did it woo to create exclusive titles?

I'm not debating the quality of it, but in terms of system sales, it doesn't seem to have been a huge winner.
    Tsk, tsk. 'Winning' has nothing to do with which system has legendary/forgettable games. I don't even know what system 'won' this round, nor do I give a rat's ass. They all had at least one game that I can remember as flipping awesome. So long as you get that one game that floors you, it doesn't matter if it 'wins' or 'loses'. Since when did systems 'winning' even mean that much?

But third-party developers will need a fair installed base to ensure they get their investment back on development.
    Well, not to sound cruel man but....that's up to the developers. I mean, you buy a system for the games, not to have a giant shiny hunk of metal and plastic to admire. If developers can't come up with intriguing games to attract customers, then that's their own fault and not that of Sony's.

Sony's fault will be in how systems hold up, how they operate, how well they operate and if they can draw attention to the product as well as promote first-party titles. Other than that, it's up to them to come up with bitchin' ideas to sell.

Harsh but reality nonetheless.

All I know is, even tho it has nothing to do with the PS3, how cause of a lawsuit Sony is gonna have to remove the vibrate function from any future PS2 controllers as well as any games, be it past, present, or future, rumble feature before being able to sell them again.

Its suppose to happen in early 2007 so I'm just hopping I get all the games I really want before they are stripped of the rumble feature.

(Tho theres no way in hell I will.)

Actually dude, a third party developer is working on designing a rumble feature. The question is whether developers will choose to support a feature like that from a non-Sony product.

Lovely tribute ava by the way!

It was well-recognized that the PS was harder to develop for, but the Saturn's big set-back was........it was a less powerful machine.
    Saturn was also launched with a big price tag which pretty much killed it chances to compete with Sony.

Also wasn't Saturn great for 2d but less competent for 3d than Playstation? I remember great 2d games for Saturn, the likes of Guardian Heroes, Dragon Force, Capcom's Vampire fighting games, with Saturn ports of Playstation games looking piss poor (Toshinden, Resident Evil) and nothing comparable to MGS, Silent Hill, or Nintendo 64 masterpieces. At the time the first 3d games were a big selling argument, and Saturn bombed because of it.

Aldrich is correct, I still have my Sega Saturn and the 3-d games I have do not compare to the PSone(although Nights is cool), but the 2-d games far outclass PSone. Besides 2-d, the choices in games were severly lacking and I don't care what anyone says, VF2 on Sega Saturn sucked when compared to any Tekken.

Brawl FC: 3823 8204 8139

M-m-m-m-m-m-m-m-m-m-m-m-MADDOX!

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse....=sony_bullshit

That's right, today he updated with an all new rant about Sony's "Bullshit"

Like all his rants, strong language ahead.

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer Local-chan's Avatar

AHA!

IF!

This clearly indicates that you're a sane person. And therefore, what's the point of complaining about it.
    Yea, just because I didn't pre-order it don't mean I don't want it. I was planning on getting it a few months after release, already fucked up cus they moved the release date back, fair enough, but the longer they push the release date back, the less likely I am gonna want to get it, and I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Cookie View Post
    Christmas may make things even worse for the PS3 stock. Sony with a firm market position? Thats a laugh. Every department store will have shorter availability of that system than the Wii. I will feel sorry for a parent buying their kids that thing for xmas. Spending $600+ could do better for a college fund. Oh the stupidity.

I couldn't care less on the system graphics, all the great games from the past had a low bit rate. Games nowadays have reached the graphical peak and now have to rely on innovative game play. If you bow to nothing but the graphics, HDTV, DVD/blu-ray enhanced stuff, by succuming to being a media whore, you ignore the gameplay itself. Which is sad.

I ranted. I'm happy. :)

Graphics at its peak? I dont think so. The ps2 had good graphics and great games. You are media whore because you want great graphics and great gameplay? That makes sense.

Hate how people judging gameplay of systems that even havent came out yet. The WII is not innovative as you think it is.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information