+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 411 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Thread: The PlayStation Thread

Default Re: Sony Hit & Misses

Well, I dunno. I've only seen overuse of the controller in elebits, but that was done on purpose to tire the player out as a challenge. Maybe Zelda, but not sure on that one.

For me, I really wouldn't mind swinging a controller around. The problem I see with the PS3's motion sensitivity is that, besides racing games, if they have anything like their demo at E3, in which it was used to lift up a virtual rubber duck, it seems rather... awkward. And chances are that's gonna be any game of the PS3.
    Avatar provided by Ferntree on DeviantArt.

Quote Originally Posted by dlo62282
    Well, I am baseing it from track record. The controller seems like a hassle to me after a while. Wires are everywhere, the graphics are the worst out of the 3 but thats not saying much since ps3 has great graphics and xbox holds its on 2.

I think it would be better if they had a regular control for certain games and that swining control for certain games at least give the consumer a choice to play certain games with a regular control. That video I saw on gamespot kind of turned me off on the Wii. That is just my beef with it.

Yeah i mean

GRaphics=Good gameplay
    Seriously

The worst graphics?

NOTICEABLY WORST IN GAMES LIKE SUPER MARIO GALAXIES?
    Seriously

The only games i've seen that look like shit are COD 3, on the wii, and FARCRY, but those two are basically ports
    with little to no effort to it

Yeah i mean people are tripping over wires and such
    Some games have options to using the good ole gamecube controller

If you want good graphics

buy a PC, i mean with those nifty PC's we've been "NEXTGEN" for the pass 3 years

I dont want a pc since most of those super computer graphics you need an expensive video card. The best gaming computer cost around 5000 dollars.

I wasnt basing it off graphics, I was just comparing it had the worst out of the 3. The playstation 2 had good gameplay and great games. The gamecube had a couple of good games but not as many as the ps2. The game library is going to be the winning thing in this battle, I believe and that is up in the air.

That sword game looks good. The ps3 is going to be my first choice, basically because of how good the ps2 gameplay was and the library. Ill just have to wait until sometime next year and get all the reviews and pick later.

Quote Originally Posted by TakinawaTonfa
    --Keeping the original controller design (IMO, that a comfortable controller is one thing that Sony totally owned over Microsoft and Nintendo)
    I think this kind of sucks. When compared to 360's controller, the old Dual Shock design just doesn't compare. 360 got to have the most comfortable controller ever. If Sony would had switched locations of the d-pad and the left analog stick then I would be mostly happy... but even IGN, of the all things, actually complained about SIXAXIS for not delivering as well as it should. Besides, I like my rumble.

If PS3 gets the similar library behind it as PS2 and PSX, it would be quite dumb to not to buy it once the price go down (by a lot, that is). But the good support is not given. Sony isn't well known for it's first party games (they are getting better here though) and third party developers will make games on the platform which will sell the most. They want money and they will go where the money is. PS3's high development costs doesn't help much either.

Those Wii commercials really confuses people though...

That sword game looks good. The ps3 is going to be my first choice, basically because of how good the ps2 gameplay was and the library. Ill just have to wait until sometime next year and get all the reviews and pick later.
    Yes, well.... what sword game would that be?

When compared to 360's controller, the old Dual Shock design just doesn't compare. 360 got to have the most comfortable controller ever.
    Different strokes I guess. I can't stand the XBox pads. They feel way way to huge in my hands.

Sony's controllers ALMOST beat out the greatest controller ever, the SNES Ascii Pad.

Which I destroyed because of Game Rage.

It took me forever to get used to the Sony controllers. I'm pretty good with them now I guess. But I was a major Sega Saturn gamer before I ever got a PS1, so I wasn't used to the segmented d-pad when compared to the smoother Saturn controller.

I second that. But now, the Saturn controller feels to slippy which wasn't good for action games.

All day, every day TakinawaTonfa's Avatar

Well, I went from a Super Nintendo to Playstation, the structure is kinda the same, maybe that transfer is why I was able to handle it well, who knows...

To me, the original XBox controller was just ridiculous, the S-Type obviously improved with the slimmer design, but the overall controller was still kinda ridiculous. The Gamecube was pretty good, but I still didn't really like the whole upside down "T" (for need of a better description) of the 4 main buttons. I've gotten pretty used to it by now, but I still don't really like it. I've just had the most ease with the PS controllers.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg
    Different strokes I guess. I can't stand the XBox pads. They feel way way to huge in my hands.

Sony's controllers ALMOST beat out the greatest controller ever, the SNES Ascii Pad.

Which I destroyed because of Game Rage.
    too big in your manly hands...that's a big no no for me then. What was the ascii pad? I liked the "regular" SNES controllers. playing a game with complex manouvers, like Super Metriod, I felt like I was in full control of Samus.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg
    I would say the same thing about the original Xbox controller but with 360 I think M$ has worked out most of issues I had with it with the original. It's just... really comfortable.

well Magicbox has some new techincal details of the PS3 on their news site take them as you will

Engadget has revealed some technical details on PlayStation 3.
    • The PS3 BluRay drive is quieter than the DVD Drive on Xbox 360
    • Standard PC USB keyboard and mouse works on PS3 via Plug n' Play, but Bluetooth keyboard and mouse do not work
    • PS3 only recognizes EyeToy camera, not other USB webcams
    • Sony does not have plans to have a VGA out option for PS3
    • PS3 can support up to 7 wireless controllers
    • Sony does not plan to release a Sixaxis controller with built-in vibration
    • PS3 can play custom sound tracks in a game, using the built-in Media Playback software
    • Some PS3 games can be installed onto the hard drive to shorten load times. For example, the load time of Genji: Days of the Blade has reduced from 12-15 seconds to 3-4 seconds. The cache can be removed at anytime.
    • You can only send text messages to other users on PlayStation Network, voice or picture messages are not yet available.
    - Dav Karraker, senior director of Sony Corp., said that there is a good chance players can download and play Sega Saturn games on PlayStation 3 in future.

The PS3 BluRay drive is quieter than the DVD Drive on Xbox 360
    The sound of a disc drive never frightens me, but I guess thats cool.

Standard PC USB keyboard and mouse works on PS3 via Plug n' Play, but Bluetooth keyboard and mouse do not work
    The Plug n' Play sounds cool, but it seems a little odd that a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse wouldn't work, considering that the wireless controllers/remote perepherials use Bluetooth...

PS3 only recognizes EyeToy camera, not other USB webcams
    Can't say I'm surprised.

PS3 can support up to 7 wireless controllers
    Can you say "party game potential"?

PS3 can play custom sound tracks in a game, using the built-in Media Playback software
    This was a feature on the original Xbox, I'm not sure if it was utilized all that much or that well though. Only a few games supported the custom soundtrack. But if more games take advantage of the Media Playback or vice versa, this might turn out pretty interesting.

Some PS3 games can be installed onto the hard drive to shorten load times. For example, the load time of Genji: Days of the Blade has reduced from 12-15 seconds to 3-4 seconds. The cache can be removed at anytime.
    Sounds like piracy potential, unless theres some sort of requirement for the game disc AND hard drive space, which is most likely the case. (I may not have been interpreting that statement correctly...)

You can only send text messages to other users on PlayStation Network, voice or picture messages are not yet available.
    Now you can have cybersex from the comfort of your own living room! :P

Dav Karraker, senior director of Sony Corp., said that there is a good chance players can download and play Sega Saturn games on PlayStation 3 in future.
    Wonder how thats gonna work out with rival Nintendo getting Sega Genesis games?

I could think of more stuff to add but I gotta go to work...

Regarding compatibility issues with Bluetooth etc. If there's a reason for them to be absent (like Sony wanting to sell it's own products) yeah, I understand.

But if they're not opposed to that then it seems those issues can/may be resolved through updates.

edit:
    Could it be? Yes, I think we have a winner. The first next gen system commerical that is interesting AND sparks curiosity.

http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=7196
    Last edited by Greg; November 8th, 2006 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    edit:
    Could it be? Yes, I think we have a winner. The first next gen system commerical that is interesting AND sparks curiosity.

http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=7196
    So it looks the Sixaxis controller not only has a wide range of motion for gameplay, but it can also be used to make a kick-ass omelet. That's it, Sony has won this whole thing man!

If it's true, being able to download Sega Saturn games would be good for me, since they are so expensive. I have some of the expensive games, but there are still quite a few I need to complete my collection.

Sadly my Sega Saturn game collection is quite pitiful. Also, even sadder, I won't be getting a PS3 for atleast 2-3 years or until I get a job. Which ever comes first.

Brawl FC: 3823 8204 8139

Woah. The Remote's a magician now.

Umm that could be annoying, can you turn that off at times? Cause I dont keep my hands still, when i play a game. I do alot of other things while playing video games, like eating and watching tv.

The sixaxis is something that will and won't be in some games.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information