+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Greatest manga author....

Default Re: Greatest manga author dattebayo!.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobster Pot-Sticker View Post
    Tomato and Egg Kishi
    Your a faggot kishi.

Default Re: Greatest manga author....

This thread is hilarious.
    How can the answer be anything other than Osamu Tezuka?
    Last edited by THE SEA; April 30th, 2011 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Though my personal hero is Tsukasa Hojo.

King of One Piece Parody Sonic Youth's Avatar

Old Era: Osamu Tezuka, duh, winning.
    New Era: Matsumoto Taiyou
    Who exactly is Mumbo?
    It's OFFICIAL, UsoppXNami 4ever.

Osamu Tezuka. Of All Time.

I want to punch every person in this thread who says Oda, Toriyama, or, god forbid, Kishimoto, instead of Tezuka

Tezuka is the only answer, you're just FACTUALLY wrong if you suggest anything or anyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    There's a great lighthearted vibe around here, because no matter how serious we might get, we're all together because of some magical pirate.

I haven't read anything by Osamu Tezuka, but from what I know, his influence does make him the greatest mangaka. He essentially created manga with Astro Boy, who's basically the Superman of Japanese comics. And didn't he work on like 100 different series? So he does seem rather deserving.

But from what I've read the best mangaka would be either Oda or Miura with Togashi bringing up the rear. One Piece is easily one of the best Shonen battle manga ever, Berserk is one of the best Seinen manga and Togashi has written two Shonen that I think are very good. Although Oda and Miura still beat him out I would say.
    My Hero Academia is my favorite manga series right now. At least so long as the high of its greatness remains. United States of Smash.

I'm going to be completely objective, so, so far, from what I've read it has to be Naoki Urasawa!

Quote Originally Posted by Kareem Said View Post
    But from what I've read the best mangaka would be either Oda or Miura
    You should read more. Which's probably good.
    Those two are some of the best alive though.
    Last edited by THE SEA; April 30th, 2011 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by THE SEA View Post
    This is also not true.
    "from what I've read", jeez. He obviously hasn't read anything from Tezuka or Go Nagai or anything. So that's why he said Tezuka is the greatest, because it's kinda true, but then added that from his own personal experience, the best mangaka seems to be Oda or Miura.

you literally can't tell him what his favorite mangaka is.

edit: nevermind we cool
    Last edited by Big_Bad_Lith; April 30th, 2011 at 01:18 PM. Reason: s'all good

I thought he was implying "being the greatest is different from being the best", like Tezuka is only the "greatest" because of his influence rather than the quality of his work.
    But I may be wrong, so I fixed my post.
    My favorite is Tsukasa Hojo. I love this pervert more than any other mangaka.

Just curiosity: you guys think a magnificient manga automaticaly puts it's author in the "best manga author" place?

Let's say Nausicaa is the best manga ever (which, for me, may very well be true), is Miyazaki automatically the best manga author? Or the fact that he's more of an anime author and his manga influence ain't as high takes away from him?
    But the best manga is still his. . .

For example, if in 10 years One Piece ends and we can all agree that it's one of the best shonen mangas ever, is Oda going to be considered one of the best mangaka, or the fact that he has done ONLY one manga (25 years of manga, but only one) makes him less deserving of said, ehem, "title" than other more prolific authors?

Other than that, and admiting in great shame that I'm still short on Tezuka (although I'm slowling earning more manga knowledge), I'd say Taiyou Matsumoto and Takehiko Inoue.

There are many elements.
    -Quality of works.
    -Revolutionary nature of works
    -Tenacity and dedication to work
    -Talent
    -And a good mangaka has to be a good human too.
    Osamu Tezuka got it all.
    Last edited by THE SEA; May 4th, 2011 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Youth View Post
    Old Era: Osamu Tezuka, duh, winning.
    New Era: Matsumoto Taiyou
    The correct answer.

Osamu Tezuka is literally considered the god of manga.

It's not some empty title.

150,000 pages of manga in 42 years. 3,500 pages a year. That's 10 pages a day, every day, though he COULD put out 100 pages in a night. In over seven hundred, that's seven-oh-oh manga. And that's just his manga. Not his illustrations, animations cells, production techniques, or just, as SEA mentions, the completely revolutionary nature of his work.

Worked 4 or more series simultaneously. Working while he eat, was driven to places, was flying to places. Pioneered the studio assistant system when he realized he couldn't produce all the work his various publications wanted by himself. He died of stomach cancer at 60, which he knew he had (he had a medical degree which helped him write Black Jack) and though his assistants and editors told him to check with his doctors, he brushed them off to keep working.

His last words were "I'm begging you, let me work!" He literally worked himself to death for his art.

Astro Boy. Metropolis. Black Jack. Buda. Phoenix. Kimba. Just so many works of such outrageous depth and quality, with appeal to ages both old and young. Sure, he had the occasional Cleopatra: Queen of Sex, but we'll forgive him: he was making this shit up as he went along, after all.

There simply is no other answer.
    Last edited by Silence; April 30th, 2011 at 02:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    There's a great lighthearted vibe around here, because no matter how serious we might get, we're all together because of some magical pirate.

Quote Originally Posted by kouch_lee View Post
    Just curiosity: you guys think a magnificient manga automaticaly puts it's author in the "best manga author" place?

Let's say Nausicaa is the best manga ever (which, for me, may very well be true), is Miyazaki automatically the best manga author? Or the fact that he's more of an anime author and his manga influence ain't as high takes away from him?

For example, if in 10 years One Piece ends and we can all agree that it's one of the best shonen mangas ever, is Oda going to be considered one of the best mangaka, or the fact that he has done ONLY one manga (25 years of manga, but only one) makes him less deserving of said, ehem, "title" than other more prolific authors?

Other than that, and admiting in great shame that I'm still short on Tezuka (although I'm slowling earning more manga knowledge), I'd say Taiyou Matsumoto and Takehiko Inoue.
    Yeah that is an interesting debate. If we were to make a ranking of the greatest mangaka to ever live, where would Oda and Miura place? I'd say they should both be in the top ten, because they've written one of the greatest Shonen and Seinen respectively, even though they've barely done anything besides the series they've been doing for decades. They aren't like Tezuka, Urasawa, Inoue, Togashi, Koike etc. who have more than one notable series to their name. But I'd still say that Oda and Miura are great mangaka, because they have clearly shown they can write very well.

Hey I have an idea. Maybe we should make a list of the greatest mangaka to ever live, this seems like a good place to do it. I have a few suggestions for the top ten (because we should at least have a top ten).
    Eiichiro Oda-One Piece
    Osamu Tezuka-Phoenix, Black Jack, Buddha, Astro Boy, to many to count
    Naoki Urasawa-Monster, 20th Century Boys, Pluto
    Kentaro Miura-Berserk
    Katsuhiro Otomo-Akira
    Takehiko Inoue-Vagabond, Slam Dunk, Real
    Togashi Yoshihiro-Hunter x Hunter, Yu Yu Hakusho, Level E
    Akira Toriyama-Dragon Ball
    Kazuo Koike-Lone Wolf and Cub, Crying Freeman
    Hayao Miyazaki-Nausicaa

I haven't read a lot of these manga (I'm working on that) but I know that these are some of the most respected mangaka out there, if anyone has any more suggestions, that would be much appreciated.

Edit: Well said Silence, I'm going to try and read Phoenix, Black Jack or Buddha. I owe Tezuka that much.
    My Hero Academia is my favorite manga series right now. At least so long as the high of its greatness remains. United States of Smash.

Inoue Takehiko is Tsukasa Hojo's disciple.
    Tsukasa Hojo is buddy with Tetsuo Hara.
    Hara is buddy with Buronson.
    Buronon is buddy with Ryoichi Ikegami.
    Ikegami is buddy with Kazuo Koike.
    Koike is the teacher of Tetsuo Hara and Rumiko Takahashi.
    Rumiko is **** **** with Adachi Mitsuru.
    Such a great leaguge.

Quote Originally Posted by THE SEA View Post
    Inoue Takehiko is Tsukasa Hojo's disciple.
    Tsukasa Hojo is buddy with Tetsuo Hara.
    Hara is buddy with Buronson.
    Buronon is buddy with Ryoichi Ikegami.
    Ikegami is buddy with Kazuo Koike.
    Koike is the teacher of Tetsuo Hara and Rumiko Takahashi.
    Rumiko is **** **** with Adachi Mitsuru.
    Such a great leaguge.
    Don't forget Hagiwara, he and Tetsuo are best friends too.

Quote Originally Posted by kouch_lee View Post
    Miyazaki held a strong rivalry with Tezuka, his old idol. His goal was to be a better author than Tezuka.
    Perhaps he was satisfied with Nausicaa, felt that he has surpassed Tezuka, so he didn't try with manga anymore.

Miyazaki was a Tezuka fan, and later wrote in an essay that during his high school years, he lost faith in his own talent as a manga author and burned all of the manga he had drawn up to that point. He says that he realized that if he simply copied Tezuka, he would never be able to become a better manga author than him. (Nihon Eiga no Genzai, Iwanami Shoten)

“But as far as animation—I say this believing that on this topic alone I have the right, and also some duty to say this—Everything that Tezuka-san had spoken about or advocated was wrong.” (“Tezuka Osamu ni ‘Kami no Te’ wo Mita Toki, Boku wa Kare to Ketsubetsu shita ”. Miyazaki, Hayao. Comicbox, May 1989)
    Miyazaki sharply criticized Tezuka by saying that he believed that as an animator, Tezuka was a “Novice” and an “Unskilled Enthusiast”, but that despite this he was able to use his fame as a manga author to create his own anime company which then began to produce television anime, severely warping the direction of the Japanese animation industry.

On the other hand, Miyazaki also admitted that he once admired Tezuka as a manga author and had hoped to become a manga author himself. Thus, one can see that some elements of Miyazaki’s ambivalence about Tezuka are very deep-rooted. As for Tezuka, despite being an individual who held strong rivalries towards other authors, surprisingly, he never said anything in public about Miyazaki.

Anime historian Nobuyuki TSUGATA writes in detail about this matter in his books Nihon Animeeshon no Chikara (The Power of Japanese Animation) and Anime Sakka toshite no Tezuka Osamu (Tezuka Osamu, the Anime Creator) (both published by NTT.) Based on information he gathered through individuals who knew Tezuka personally, Tsugata reasons that Tezuka’s silence was caused by an over-awareness of Miyazaki. Tsugata bases this on the idea introduced by Kei ISHIZAKA that Miyazaki, with Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (Kaze no Tani no Nausicaa), had accomplished what Tezuka had wished to do with anime. That is, Miyazaki created a masterful feature-length animated film which had both a grand story as well as grand themes similar to what Tezuka had successfully created in his manga, and shocked Tezuka by doing it first.
    Miyazaki is really big name that is mentioned only after Tezuka whenever the manga-anime industry is brought up in a book or article.
    Nausicaa in fact influenced other manga to create a complex world of their own.
    Even as a movie, Nausicaa rivaled any short stories by Tezuka. And as a manga, we must admit that Miyazaki has outdone his idol, if we just judge in single work. He sounds like a dick, but that's what I like about him.
    I don't really know, but perhaps in his mind Miyazaki has already considered himself to be better than Tezuka if he continued to draw manga. For me, I can't really judge, because Nausicaa was done in 12 years, between doing movies. Does that say Tezuka with as much time would create something equivalent? Nobody can assure. I would like to see them compete in a contest to create the best manga ever, shamefully Tezuka is already dead. Over all Tezuka is still the greatest author by fact, even though Miyazaki topped him in some elements.
    Last edited by THE SEA; April 30th, 2011 at 10:26 PM.

Note to self: Read Black Jack
    (Adds it to HunterxHunter, Katteni Kaizou, D. Gray Man catchup, Homunculus reading list)
    Tezuka is revolutionary, sure, but how much of his work is 'entertaining?' I can appreciate some things from an academic viewpoint, but with that much manga made, I wonder how many of the story lines and plots start bleeding over into each other?
    Better Storytellers out there (that I have read):
    Oda, Miyazaki, Togashi (I haven't caught up yet on HunterxHunter, though), Arakawa
    Favorite Storytellers:
    Oda, Togashi, Arakawa, Kumeta, Ohkubo (he nearly made it to the previous list, but he's slipped sometimes)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information