+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 191

Thread: Greatest manga author....

  1. #101

    Default Re: Greatest manga author....

    Seinen, in general, have less pressure to keep going once they're popular. As opposed to shonen manga.
    Compared to the commercial juggernaught of shonen yes. But you can't tell me that they don't have the same pressure.
    Aklso it seems as if your saying Vagabond had reason to end by this point? lol if that's true.

    Anyway, Vagabond isn't a bad manga at all. It's very well drawn in a conventional way, but it all felt pretty empty to me. I mean c'mon, that part where Musashi was sitting next to that old, supposedly legendary, samurai geezer. ZZZ
    That was an amazing scene. What was your problem with it?

    Well... okay. But that's just saying you like it because it's well done. Which is essentially the same as saying you like it because you like it.

    But then, you know, that's good enough for me and I can understand if you like swords and everything so okay.
    I'm not really talking about "why i like it". I'm defending it as a well done manga against people saying it's not.


  2. #102
    Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    At the end of the world, it would appear..

    Default Re: Greatest manga author....

    Tight Kewbow Is The Best Artist

    not storyteller

    just artist

    He's like a fashion designer who decided to draw a comic. His skills are off the charts.

    Kubo FTW

  3. #103
    King C Cap'n Carter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Empire Porky Building

    Default Re: Greatest manga author....

    Tezuka, obviously.

    I don't know if anyone else can really compare to the volume of what he's produced.

    the bigot who thinks being an asshole is actually worth shit

  4. #104

    Default Re: Greatest manga author....

    I see someone linked from NPC lol.


  5. #105

    Default Re: Greatest manga author....

    Quote Originally Posted by Zephos View Post
    Compared to the commercial juggernaught of shonen yes. But you can't tell me that they don't have the same pressure.
    Aklso it seems as if your saying Vagabond had reason to end by this point? lol if that's true.
    I'm not saying it had reason to end. It just could've been more condensed.
    There's pressure, but definitely not on the same level. For one, there's no anime adaption/merchandise to boost manga sales.

    All of it's just on a smaller scale.
    For example, Berserk sold 23 million books on 32 volumes (we all know how big Berserk is). Naruto sold 82 million on 42 books.

    That was an amazing scene. What was your problem with it?
    I thought it was sleep-inducing.[/personal opinion]
    www.mangascreener.com
    it's better than bad, it's good!

  6. #106

    Default Re: Greatest manga author....

    I'm not saying it had reason to end. It just could've gotten to the point faster.
    What point? I can't think fo anything except the end of Kojiro's backstory that could be considered filler.

    There's pressure, but definitely not on the same level. For one, there's no anime adaption/merchandise to boost manga sales.
    Having less pressure than one of the most pressured environemnts there is isn't really saying much.

    I thought it was sleep-inducing.[/personal opinion]
    Than you should have said that instead of saying it has bad pacing.
    Personally a young man confronting the best person in his field as a sleeping sick old man, and being so blown away that he can't even bring himself to touch the guy. So blown away that he becomes a completely different character afterwards..
    That was one of the most focal scenes in the series. Musashi stops being a rash asshole and becomes a real adult.
    What were expecting? A big fight?


  7. #107

    Default Re: Greatest manga author....

    I find myself agreeing with Zephos on the merits of Vagabond. While I don't find myself enjoying it as much as I should, most of the times it feels I'm not quite in tune with Japanese culture in terms of Samurai legends and its attatched spiritualism and Shintoism. I don't really follow this series in terms of plot progression, but rather for the inner emotion and mystery of the two lead characters, Musashi and Kojiro.

    I should start picking this up again soon...

  8. #108

    Default Re: Greatest manga author....

    Vagabond is a masterpiece, and when Inoue finishes his story, it'll be one of the best samurai manga ever made.

  9. #109
    POE WUN BGR Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Shadow Aaron Island

    Default Re: Greatest manga author....

    Christ this isn't gonna sound biased or anything. *rolls eyes*

    Oda.

    Wait.

    Don't be a dick and scroll down away from this obvious incindiary/controversial decision on my part.

    I've read probably a roomfull of manga. Which to some may seem like a lot, but in the world of manga, it's beyond pitiful. And the majority of that is shonen which ultimately is saying, hypothetically, if the very first paragraph of War and Peace were the dumbest, most poorly constructed piece of grammatical garbage ever conceived and the contents of said massive volume represented manga as a whole, I would have read the first letter of the first word.

    This means me declaring who is the greatest mangaka ever is akin to Johnny Knoxville choosing Stephen Hawkings' greatest idea.

    This we know.

    However, in what I have read of comics, and I have read some seminal pieces that the industry basically judges standards by, Oda' dedication not only to his work, but to his fans, is astounding. I think two years ago I would have said differently. I would probably have said Toriyama. In fact, if this is indeed the same thread, if you go back far enough then I think you'll even find me saying that. However, what I saw happen during 2007 was nothing short of a miracle. The amount of work required for the 10th Anniversary events and merchandise was staggering. If you run down the list you simply can't imagine that while supervising all of that shit, he wrote a frigging movie while keeping up with his already tiresome job as a regular author.

    Now let's not get carried away this isn't a, "Toriyama drew every frame of animation himself! He' amazing!!!!111", it's not like Oda planned each and every aspect of it, but let's remember what country he's in. For every time someone decides to do something with the property, there has to be a meeting. There has to be a business trip. An exchanging of cards, boring-ass talks, and confirmations for little shit details like, "We'd like to use Glossy Black instead of Crow Black for Luffy's hair in this promo, is that ok?"

    On top of that he did artwork and interviews for all the anniversay merchandise while keeping up with his story, fanmail/art AND somehow managed to sleep?

    And what did we get? A reused JUMP cover for one volume?

    The man is a machine and he said it best in that 3-part interview BF found around Christmas time. He does what he does because he knows what HE would like to read and he doesn't want to dissappoint fans the way a certain someone let him down when he was a kid.

    On top of the dedication and drive you have his attention to detail, humor, ability to convey emotion like no other, blah blah, any of those things can be found in spades among the most talent authors, of which there are many. But Oda is the first and only managaka I've ever seen that is a fan of manga writing as a fan, for fans and its enough to bring a grown man to tears seeing what lengths he goes to. The man loves his job, he doesn't bitch, he doesn't whine, he doesn't take breaks to FUCKING PLAY VIDEO GAMES, he keeps going when he's sick and he does it all so that he can recreate the same joy that he experienced as a kid. This isn't me making up fantasy bullshit either, these are words from the man himself. That's love folks.

    We can argue chicken and egg all day about whether or not OP would exist if not for other series, but Oda has raised the bar so high, that I doubt any other mangaka can even see it with binoculars.

    He may only produce one long-running serial comic, but I'll de damned if it isn't shaping up to be one of the greatest stories ever told in manga. He's an amazing dude.

    Here you'll find the results of a recently conducted survey by Oricon regarding everyone's favorite mangaka.

    http://life.oricon.co.jp/news/080304.html

    I was surprised by the overall results esp. #1 since all it suggests that shojo readers are Borg-like drones when it comes to a popular series since Yazawa didn't even place in top 4 of men's ranking and must have had a HELLUVA lot of female votes.

  10. #110

    Default Re: Greatest manga author....

    Greg, for all most of us know Hideki Tojo is the number one.

    What does it say? In that thar japanese?


  11. #111
    POE WUN BGR Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Shadow Aaron Island

    Default Re: Greatest manga author....

    Oh uh, it's Nana's author -_-

    I think there's a link to an English version or at least coverage on one of the anime news sites.

  12. #112

    Default Re: Greatest manga author....

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Christ this isn't gonna sound biased or anything. *rolls eyes*

    Oda.

    Wait.

    Don't be a dick and scroll down away from this obvious incindiary/controversial decision on my part.

    I've read probably a roomfull of manga. Which to some may seem like a lot, but in the world of manga, it's beyond pitiful. And the majority of that is shonen which ultimately is saying, hypothetically, if the very first paragraph of War and Peace were the dumbest, most poorly constructed piece of grammatical garbage ever conceived and the contents of said massive volume represented manga as a whole, I would have read the first letter of the first word.

    This means me declaring who is the greatest mangaka ever is akin to Johnny Knoxville choosing Stephen Hawkings' greatest idea.

    This we know.

    However, in what I have read of comics, and I have read some seminal pieces that the industry basically judges standards by, Oda' dedication not only to his work, but to his fans, is astounding. I think two years ago I would have said differently. I would probably have said Toriyama. In fact, if this is indeed the same thread, if you go back far enough then I think you'll even find me saying that. However, what I saw happen during 2007 was nothing short of a miracle. The amount of work required for the 10th Anniversary events and merchandise was staggering. If you run down the list you simply can't imagine that while supervising all of that shit, he wrote a frigging movie while keeping up with his already tiresome job as a regular author.

    Now let's not get carried away this isn't a, "Toriyama drew every frame of animation himself! He' amazing!!!!111", it's not like Oda planned each and every aspect of it, but let's remember what country he's in. For every time someone decides to do something with the property, there has to be a meeting. There has to be a business trip. An exchanging of cards, boring-ass talks, and confirmations for little shit details like, "We'd like to use Glossy Black instead of Crow Black for Luffy's hair in this promo, is that ok?"

    On top of that he did artwork and interviews for all the anniversay merchandise while keeping up with his story, fanmail/art AND somehow managed to sleep?

    And what did we get? A reused JUMP cover for one volume?

    The man is a machine and he said it best in that 3-part interview BF found around Christmas time. He does what he does because he knows what HE would like to read and he doesn't want to dissappoint fans the way a certain someone let him down when he was a kid.

    On top of the dedication and drive you have his attention to detail, humor, ability to convey emotion like no other, blah blah, any of those things can be found in spades among the most talent authors, of which there are many. But Oda is the first and only managaka I've ever seen that is a fan of manga writing as a fan, for fans and its enough to bring a grown man to tears seeing what lengths he goes to. The man loves his job, he doesn't bitch, he doesn't whine, he doesn't take breaks to FUCKING PLAY VIDEO GAMES, he keeps going when he's sick and he does it all so that he can recreate the same joy that he experienced as a kid. This isn't me making up fantasy bullshit either, these are words from the man himself. That's love folks.

    We can argue chicken and egg all day about whether or not OP would exist if not for other series, but Oda has raised the bar so high, that I doubt any other mangaka can even see it with binoculars.

    He may only produce one long-running serial comic, but I'll de damned if it isn't shaping up to be one of the greatest stories ever told in manga. He's an amazing dude.

    Here you'll find the results of a recently conducted survey by Oricon regarding everyone's favorite mangaka.

    http://life.oricon.co.jp/news/080304.html

    I was surprised by the overall results esp. #1 since all it suggests that shojo readers are Borg-like drones when it comes to a popular series since Yazawa didn't even place in top 4 of men's ranking and must have had a HELLUVA lot of female votes.
    P R E A C H !

  13. #113
    Discovered Stowaway Emperor Time's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    America

    Default Re: Greatest manga author....

    Osamu Tezuka for sure.

  14. #114

    Default Re: Greatest manga author....

    Off Topic: If it wasn't for one piece I would of dropped interest in both anime and manga.

    On Topic:
    I agree with you greg.
    Member of Negima is Super Awesome
    MY YOUTUBE channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Mcwhirlpoolinc?feature=mhee

  15. #115

    Default Re: Greatest manga author....

    Quote Originally Posted by Zephos View Post
    Greg, for all most of us know Hideki Tojo is the number one.

    What does it say? In that thar japanese?
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...e-most-popular

  16. #116
    Token Black Guy gaara d. lucci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Usin items in Smash tourneys

    Default Re: Greatest manga author....

    Nice to see Togashi make it on the list despite the hiatuses and whatnot. The guy deserves it with the way he's been writin HxH lately. And I'm gonna check out Slam Dunk and Vagabond eventually, everywhere I go on the netz, I hear about how great those series are.

    Brawl FC: 3823 8204 8139

  17. #117
    Stowaway Ao Kiji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Riding a bicycle across the ocean

    Default Re: Greatest manga author....

    Yeah, Vagabond has great art and everything, but I never really saw anything in it past that.
    Yeah, I love Inoue-sensei but Vagabound is drawn out like mad and just seems like an excuse to draw tons of cool close ups and pretty scenery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mog View Post
    Also, it's a children's comic from Japan.

    Why are you comparing it to cultural engravings and burritos.

  18. #118

    Default Re: Greatest manga author....

    Quote Originally Posted by Ao Kiji View Post
    Yeah, I love Inoue-sensei but Vagabound is drawn out like mad and just seems like an excuse to draw tons of cool close ups and pretty scenery.
    How is it drawn out?
    God damn.
    What am I not seeing here?


  19. #119

    Default Re: Greatest manga author....

    Kishi is the best believe it

  20. #120
    Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    At the end of the world, it would appear..

    Default Re: Greatest manga author....

    Tomato and Egg Kishi

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts