+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Greatest manga author....

Default Re: Greatest manga author....

Makoto Isshiki (Piano no Mori, Hanada Shounen-shi)
    Naoki Yamamoto (Believers, Arigatou, Asatte Dance)
    Minoru Furuya (Ciguatera, Boku to Issho, Himizu)
    www.mangascreener.com
    it's better than bad, it's good!

Oda. He managed to acheive something a ton of manga-ka have never done before. Keeping me entertained.

The best?:
    Osamu Tezuka - Influence on all manga artists in Japan and has created some of the best manga ever period.
    Go Nagai - Introduced extreme violence and sex in his works to bring a more realistic approach to manga that influenced many artists like Kentaro Miura and Tetsuo Hara.
    Takehiko Inoue - Created some of the best manga in the world and probably one of the best manga artists ever right next to Kentaro Miura.
    Naoki Urasawa - Just about every manga he makes is deep, exciting, drawn well, and suspenseful. He's just an excellent manga-ka! There's NOTHING he's done that's been bad, period.
    Akira Toriyama - For creating one of the most well-known adventure pieces of fiction across the world and influencing people like Eiichiro Oda to create such great manga.

Honorable mentions:
    Kentaro Miura - For creating Berserk, one of the greatest manga ever period.
    Eiichiro Oda - For creating One Piece which is one of the greatest adventure manga ever with it's unpredictableness and whatnot.
    Hayao Miyazaki - Yes, as a manga artist and not an anime director. He created the Nausicaa manga which is probably the best adventure manga period so he HAS to get some credit.
    Hiroki Endo - For creating some of the best one-shots ever and Eden: It's An Endless World!

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Groundwalker View Post
    The best?:
    Takehiko Inoue - Created some of the best manga in the world and probably one of the best manga artists ever right next to Kentaro Miura.
    But his mangas are boring as fuck

Naoki Urasawa - Just about every manga he makes is deep, exciting, drawn well, and suspenseful.
    And they all end like shit!!

I love you mentioned Go Nagai though

Quote Originally Posted by Kiavik View Post
    But his mangas are boring as fuck
    How so?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiavik View Post
    And they all end like shit!!
    What are you talking about? His endings are great, what's so bad about them? He fucking makes masterpieces.

By the 7 Sons of Pwngoat! *Meh*'s Avatar

If one is going to mention the Manga no Kami-sama, they should at least take a moment to remember the Manga no Ma Oh that is Go Nagai. Where would Super Robot manga and anime be without him?

How is 'greatest' being defined? Most sales, number of series created, number of awards received, influence on other authors, or amount of enjoyment received from reading? Lots of different names can be put forward, depending on the definition used for greatest.

I'll just go with Buccaneer's answer: Greatest= Your favorite.
    I'm like Hisotensoku: Not here to preserve peace, nor to destroy it. I certainly can't move mountains. Mostly, I'm just full of hot air.
    - *Meh*

tezuka is the greatest, with toriyama in second.

but oda is still my favorite.

Tezuka's been said a million times but I must say the same regardless.

period period period @ Luke Groundwalker

How so?
    I can't bring myself to read a volume of Vagabond without being bored to tears. I swear that's the most drawn out manga I've ever seen - we're on Inuyasha's level there. Its just boring.

What are you talking about? His endings are great, what's so bad about them? He fucking makes masterpieces.
    I seriously doubt you have seen the endings of monster and 20th CB.
    In monster's case, he concentrates the whole story in the last 3 volumes! It pretty much shows that volumes 3 through 15 were almost on filler level. And then it ends it with a cliffhanger? What the fuck is that shit? I for sure won't read the novel that comes after that...

20th Century Boys is a different affair. Volumes 1 through 15 are awesome, jam packed with a lot of plot twists and turns, so much that it's hard to even remember everything. Then the third big saga hits and... WTF? The plot gets stretched out as hell and becomes almost childish (Music saves everybody? C'MOOON!!).
    New characters are introduced that are horrible (man those two kids...) and old characters get fucking ruined!!
    Otcho becomes a wimp, Kenji a retarded hippie superman, Kana gets even more obnoxious...
    But the main problem is you CANT promise so much in the first part of the story than resolve everything with FRIGGIN' MUSIC!! WTF is that?
    That concert at the end is definitely the cheesiest scene I've ever seen in a manga.
    And WHY reuse the same mcGuffin (friends identity) TWO TIMES, and make the entire story revolve around it?? That's stupid!!
    Man, what a let down.
    20th CB is a manga that starts with a bang and ends with a fart.

If one is going to mention the Manga no Kami-sama, they should at least take a moment to remember the Manga no Ma Oh that is Go Nagai. Where would Super Robot manga and anime be without him?
    Don't worry, once I release a certain scanlation I'm working on you'll see how people will love nagai

Toriyama is first. I'd say that Oda is second.

Call me a fanboy if you like, but they have achieved a shit ton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Believe is song ripped from a dance craze that involves women in as little clothing as possible and crazy sex. The only thing happy-go-lucky about it is my cock.

I've probably posted here before this was bumped and all, but I guess I'll have to add Tomoko Ninomiya for creating the greatness that is Nodame Cantabile, which is totally my current favorite. And as long as they keep translating it regularly I will gladly remain being into it for quite long a time.

I can't bring myself to read a volume of Vagabond without being bored to tears. I swear that's the most drawn out manga I've ever seen - we're on Inuyasha's level there. Its just boring.
    No, not really. Vagabond gets more done than any of the shonen trifecta, Berserk, etc. Let alone Inu-Yasha.
    Whether your bored of it or not it's not drawn out at all.
    I doubt you've actually given it your time and just get pouty when it fails to entertain you.

How can you compare Vagabond with any shonen manga?
    It should go by the laws of seinen, so it has no excuse for dragging (which it definitely does). Oh wait I forgot, it's hella popular.
    www.mangascreener.com

Yeah, Vagabond has great art and everything, but I never really saw anything in it past that.

I'm not gonna bother with any extensively reasoned picks and just sum up my favourite authors, who'd probably be Jiro Matsumoto, Minoru Furuya, Mitsuru Adachi and Eiichiro Oda, in no particular order.

Of course, there are others I absolutely love to bits, but those four popped into my head the first when I asked myself the question, and I'm guessing that's probably for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by barbapapa View Post
    How can you compare Vagabond with any shonen manga?
    It should go by the laws of seinen, so it has no excuse for dragging (which it definitely does). Oh wait I forgot, it's hella popular.
    Oh seinen?
    It dosen't drag at all next to Berserk or god forbid, Gantz.
    Even Lone Wolf and Cub beat around the bush legendarily.
    And seinen dosen't exist in a vacuum. Why shouldn't I compare it to mangas that aren't seinen?

All I'm getting from the lot of you is accusations. Not so much as a single example. Unless your actually going to take this all the way don't bother chiming in as if your adding anything to the conversation.

Yeah, Vagabond has great art and everything, but I never really saw anything in it past that.
    It's an excellent character drama and "sports" story in the sense of how it focuses on the sword.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephos View Post
    It's an excellent character drama and "sports" story in the sense of how it focuses on the sword.
    Oh, no, it's fine if you like the series, I'm just saying it didn't grab me in the slightest.

Also, that doesn't really tell me anything about why you like it. Saying it's excellent drama and sports is just a genre and is just about as informative as arguing Star Wars is a great film because it's ''excellent science fiction''.

I just don't see that supposed excellence in Vagabond.

Quote Originally Posted by Mog View Post
    Oh, no, it's fine if you like the series, I'm just saying it didn't grab me in the slightest.

Also, that doesn't really tell me anything about why you like it. Saying it's excellent drama and sports is just a genre and is just about as informative as arguing Star Wars is a great film because it's ''excellent science fiction''.

A well done character drama is something I like, as is the craft angle on swords. That was my explanation.
    Last edited by Zephos; March 30th, 2008 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mog View Post

its ok...i dont either
    Last edited by King_Ty; March 30th, 2008 at 04:27 PM.

Oh seinen?
    It dosen't drag at all next to Berserk or god forbid, Gantz.
    Even Lone Wolf and Cub beat around the bush legendarily.
    And seinen dosen't exist in a vacuum. Why shouldn't I compare it to mangas that aren't seinen?
    Seinen, in general, have less pressure to keep going once they're popular. As opposed to shonen manga.
    But naturally, there are exceptions like 20 CB, Vagabond, Gantz, and Berserk. I don't like any of those (well, I used to like 20CB, but it turned to crap).

Anyway, Vagabond isn't a bad manga at all. It's very well drawn in a conventional way, but it all felt pretty empty to me. I mean c'mon, that part where Musashi was sitting next to that old, supposedly legendary, samurai geezer. ZZZ
    Takehiko Inoue just doesn't "ring my bell", as much as others.
    www.mangascreener.com

A well done character drama is something I like, as is the craft angle on swords. That was my explanation.
    Well... okay. But that's just saying you like it because it's well done. Which is essentially the same as saying you like it because you like it.

But then, you know, that's good enough for me and I can understand if you like swords and everything so okay.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information