+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Japanese language

Default Re: Japanese language

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kuro View Post
    Doozo yoroshiku: "Nice to meet you."
    That sounds too vague. Is there a better translation of this in english?

[B][SIZE=1]
    * For General (Non-Background) OP music, check this post.
    * For BGMs (Background) OP music, check Audity's post.

[COLOR=Sienna]If whatever you're looking for isnt there, THEN ask in the Music thread.

Quote Originally Posted by hyakamaru View Post
    That sounds too vague. Is there a better translation of this in english?
    どうぞよろしく - well, it literally is 'pleased to meet you'. Even more literally it's 'by all means, my best regards', but when was the last time we said things like that in English ? Yoroshiku's 'yoro' is the same as in like, yorokonde ('I'm glad to do it !'), so it gives me a sense of like, being pleased to do something. Douzo's like... consent. Ish.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .Credo quia absurdum non credere. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I think the word that gives the most confusion would be 宜しく, since for me it means something like, "please give me more concern/direction". I understand the usage, since we also say that in chinese all the time too, but its hard to word that in english.

Anyway, I get it. Thanks for all the help :)

[B][SIZE=1]

[COLOR=Sienna]If whatever you're looking for isnt there, THEN ask in the Music thread.

Quote Originally Posted by HEATXZ View Post
    Is Buu japanese for fart and what's japanese for butt
    if Buu = fart, then what does Buuhan =?

Question Re: Japanese language

How do you say "Heavenly fighting arts of the created", "Heavenly mystic arts of the created", "Heavenly weapon arts of the created", "Hellish fighting arts of the created", "Hellish mystic arts of the created", "Hellish weapon arts of the created", "Ultimate Soft fist", and "Ultimate hard fist"?
    ****THE NICO ROBIN: ROKUSHIKI PROJECT****
    Go here for the project and here for the thread! (UPDATE 10/5/19)
    ****THE HUAQUANDAO STYLE PROJECT***
    Go here or here (UPDATE 05/10/14)

Quote Originally Posted by joesephes View Post
    How do you say "Heavenly fighting arts of the created", "Heavenly mystic arts of the created", "Heavenly weapon arts of the created", "Hellish fighting arts of the created", "Hellish mystic arts of the created", "Hellish weapon arts of the created", "Ultimate Soft fist", and "Ultimate hard fist"?
    re-requesting this
    ****THE NICO ROBIN: ROKUSHIKI PROJECT****
    Go here for the project and here for the thread! (UPDATE 10/5/19)
    ****THE HUAQUANDAO STYLE PROJECT***
    Go here or here (UPDATE 05/10/14)

Need to know if ウソップの花道 means Usopp's (Amazing) Flower Garden, or Usopp's Runway (Way from audience to stage)?

I know the latter sounds stupid, but need to be sure.

[B][SIZE=1]

my roomates and I were talking: we want to know if there is a literal translation for "moshi moshi" (not sure if I spelled it right, but it's how japanese answer the phone)
    while I'm at it, does anyone pick up the phone and say konichiwa? I'm just wondering if I'd get wierd looks if I did that?

Aakern

Im wondering what the japanese translation of "you are the most beautifull thing i have ever seen" :) And yeah im trying to impress my japanese "internett friend"

Okay well, I just found an amazing resource for Japanese learning. It's highly inspirational and from a guy that like myself, had squat professional training or classes in Japanese and learned from the ground up to become a translator.

It's by no means a magic bean that will teach you Japanese, but for any of you that are serious, it shows you the doorway VERY clearly. Of course you're the one who has to step through.

http://www.nihongojouzu.com/

"Moshi moshi?" doesn't really have any direct translation.

As for answering the phone with "Konnichiwa!", it depends. Firstly, you shouldn't use "Konnichiwa!" in the morning or the evening, obviously. Secondly, if you're not a native speaker of Japanese, certain people might laugh at you because, as in: "Hahaha, that silly tourist messed up."

And "buu" is an onomatopoeia for flatulence. "Coup de Buu" is literally "Coup de [Fart Noise]".

If anybody has any other questions, feel free to ask. Didn't even know this thread existed.

pst, look at post dates Cyringohn. :)

*bookmarks Greg's link*

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
    pst, look at post dates Cyringohn. :)

*bookmarks Greg's link*
    Yeah, saw them.

Nevertheless, the fact that it's popping up on the "Most Recent Post" section again might get people to come back in here.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyringohn View Post
    In an anime I watched recently, the translators subbed it as "Hello? Hello?" >_>;

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Okay well, I just found an amazing resource for Japanese learning. It's highly inspirational and from a guy that like myself, had squat professional training or classes in Japanese and learned from the ground up to become a translator.

It's by no means a magic bean that will teach you Japanese, but for any of you that are serious, it shows you the doorway VERY clearly. Of course you're the one who has to step through.

http://www.nihongojouzu.com/
    *yoink*

ah, i forgot about this thread. I like it too.

so anyone know how you say please, in japanese. figure if I know thank you, I should know please.

and how do you say how are you?

that's all i got for now

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    In an anime I watched recently, the translators subbed it as "Hello? Hello?" >_>;
    "Moshi" doesn't mean "Hello", though. That's the closest thing you could sub it as, but "Moshi" technically has no translation.

Quote Originally Posted by captain usopp View Post
    *yoink*

ah, i forgot about this thread. I like it too.

so anyone know how you say please, in japanese. figure if I know thank you, I should know please.

and how do you say how are you?

that's all i got for now
    If you're asking somebody to perform a task, such as "Would you please assist me?", add "onegai shimasu" after your statement. By the way, Japanese speakers often skip the 'U' sound in many words. "shimasu" would sound more like "she-mas", instead of "she-masoo". The same rule goes for "desu" and many other words, including names.

"How are you?" is generally asked in the form of "Genki desu ka?", which translated to "Are you well?", as "genki" means "well, lively, etc.", "desu" is a particle used in formal conversation as a method of being curtious, and "ka" is a particle denoting that one is asking a question. You should respond with "Genki desu.", which means "[I am] well."
    Last edited by Tsuchirinhon; June 9th, 2007 at 08:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyringohn View Post

As for answering the phone with "Konnichiwa!", it depends.
    For answering the phone, should you say "Mochi mochi?"?

Quote Originally Posted by Aoi Neko View Post
    You should say "Moshi, moshi?" Of course, that's just the typical response. You could always be creative and other things, but that wouldn't be wise if you're unfamiliar with the language, as it could come off as rude or just not making any sense.

Also, when trying to wake up somebody, many people also use "Moshi, moshi?".
    Last edited by Tsuchirinhon; June 9th, 2007 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aoi Neko View Post
    Moshi, Not mochi

There's a difference between a literal translation and paraphrased translation which is meant to take cultural differences into account. Take for instance if someone was trying to translate the English idiom "stop beating around the bush" into Japanese, translating it literally would mean nothing to the Japanese speaker, instead, a knowledgeable translator would search for a similar idiom or expression that gets the same point across but the literal translation into English might sound weird to us. But it doesn't have to be an idiomatic expression some simple expressions can be expressed in so many different ways.
    Last edited by CosmicDebris; June 9th, 2007 at 07:05 PM.

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information