+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Cowboy Bebop

Default Re: Cowboy Bebop

I actually forgot Jet was in his mid 30’s despite looking like he was in his mid late 40’s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Despite just looking like a fan-video, keeping Tank! was a wise choice. Nothing beats Tank!.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    That's... just edited to leave Edward out for now, right? That shot at the end where its three squares with a huge space for a fourth... that's just for now, right?

It certainly looks like a thing and that they'll be reusing some very specific episodes at the very least.
    That's what I'm desperately hoping. But at least Ein is there. No Ed would be sad, but no Ein is unforgiveable.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

And of course there's already a side-by-side comparison:

Yeah, it's decent, but still can't beat the original. One of the comments made a good point that one of the great things about the original is that there are no hints to the plot(s) at all in it, it's just about great visuals and atmosphere. The new one sadly shows a bit too much.

I cannot believe they're doing the Clown episode.

Looks at the Joker popularity - The Clown Episode is a in.

Tongpu and the Teddy Bomber being in the intro surprised me since those are later in the show's run than most of the other clips. Are they deliberately showing those episodes where Ed didn't have a focus no matter how late in the show's run it was?

Oh, wait, Ed had a big part in Brain Scratch. Huh.

That's a weird selection now that I think about it; Pierrot le Fou I get since it was one of those episodes that sticks with you but Cowboy Funk is an odd one to reference that way. I'd think most people would remember it for Andy rather than the Teddy Bomber.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Apparently there's more than one season, so maybe they're just waiting for season 2 for Ed?

Tongpu and the Teddy Bomber being in the intro surprised me since those are later in the show's run than most of the other clips. Are they deliberately showing those episodes where Ed didn't have a focus no matter how late in the show's run it was?

Oh, wait, Ed had a big part in Brain Scratch. Huh.

That's a weird selection now that I think about it; Pierrot le Fou I get since it was one of those episodes that sticks with you but Cowboy Funk is an odd one to reference that way. I'd think most people would remember it for Andy rather than the Teddy Bomber.
    I guess I’m not most people.
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Likes the way you smile =D Retro's Avatar

-Shrug- I like it. It looks fine and just doing it's own thing. A little cheap looking and stilted in some areas, but it still carries that energy. So it shows a few clips from some episodes, not like it really giving away context to newcomers. It does look a little odd with Ed not there but then again she wasn't really in the old opening much (the hand shadows and the portrait near the end), so I'm guessing this is just a hold off. And yes yes, the original opening was stylish and subtle. But that the reason I like this version too, it's different. Sometime it doesn't need to be completely one for one cause you remember between the two versions. Sure it doesn't always work (like the U.S Death Note) but hey that's the dice you roll when going live action. Either way it's got my attention, let see if the show can pull it off. Also a reminder this is the same studio doing the One Piece live action so...yeah.
    Get nuts or go crazy trying.

Actually felt cringe watching it. The hell did they shoot it with? Some of those wide angle scenes look like they were shoot with a 14mm lens, like the one I use on my camera for landscapes and nightscapes. Certainly an interesting and weird choice for moving scenes.

This feels like the difference in tone between Batman the Animated Series and Batman tv show with Adam West, lol. Judging by the looks of these few scenes we've seen in the opening, of course. Maybe it's just a poor representation of the actual content. Adding scenes from episodes is, obviously, not the best choice for a show such as this. Is it oriented towards the old fans, who know every episode by heart to hype them, or the people who never watched it? The first ones are likely to check it out anyway, and the newbs won't even know what they're looking at. It's not like any of the sneak peeks showed breathtaking action snippets, or some fascinating interplanetary scenery...They would have done better making it as more of a music video, with characters just doing their thing like in the anime, regardless of what goes on in the show. Just make it different enough from the show so it's not translated frame by frame.

Nothing I've seen is making me even slightly optimistic, ffs.

Btw, saw a YT comment saying they should have just casted a German shepherd as Ein, since everyone else looks so different, lmao.
    Last edited by Razh; September 30th, 2021 at 08:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    Nothing I've seen is making me even slightly optimistic, ffs.
    The folks involved are clearly actual fans of the work, and that's reason to be optimistic.

That doesn't assure quality in any way, but it does indicate effort and appeciation for the source material... which already puts it miles ahead of the live action Dragonball where the writer literally never read or saw the source material, or the American Death Note where the only thing they went off of was the names, or everyhthing we've heard about the wnnabe adapatation of Akira that have gone nowhere.

It's NOT just a shameless cash grab, so there's some hope to have.

Battle Angel Alita nailed it 12000%, so it's not impossible to adapt an anime/manga to live action.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    Btw, saw a YT comment saying they should have just casted a German shepherd as Ein, since everyone else looks so different, lmao.
    I can't believe live action humans don't look exactly like anime characters, how is that even possible???

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

There are certainly live action humans that look closer to the anime characters than the people they chose though.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
    I can't believe live action humans don't look exactly like anime characters, how is that even possible???
    Oh don't give me that, it's all in good spirit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakonosolo View Post
    There are certainly live action humans that look closer to the anime characters than the people they chose though.
    But maybe they act like shit?
    They look close enough, now we gotta see is if they're able to bring the characters and drama to life.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakonosolo View Post
    And Hugh Jackman was a terrible Wolverine because he wasn't 5'3?

There's more to acting than someone looking exactly like their drawn fictional counterpart.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I mean the problem with these type of adaptations is that human beings look silly as shit trying to do a 1:1 replication of an anime scene. Best you can do is that rurouni kenshin way where you see what can i pull off, what is a waste of my time and how can i keep the spirit of things somewhat intact. Or better yet not make live action remakes at all

Discovered Stowaway MajinArekkusu's Avatar

This will be an interesting experiment, cause if this show fails in adaptaing a sci fi show then I will have zero hopes of One Piece being any good coming from the same studio.
    To support Viz and SHUEISHAs MANGA Plus service hosting all Jump manga for FREE, WORLDWIDE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version.

A huge part of the live action-movie charme is obviously the resemblence of the cast, why try and sugarcoat it?

I mean there are two ways to do it:

1. Be as close to the source as possible. Don't try to be sophisticated about it, give the core audience their live action fantasy with the actors resembling the cast (as best as humanly possible). No one gives a shit about the acting quality, 9 times out of 10 the story consists of people shooting energy blasts at one another anyway.

It probably won't be a hit and very likely cringe incarnate, but if you're lucky you might at least create something memorable for the fanbase.

2. Try and re-invent the whole thing, go full current zeitgeist (whatever that might be). But boy, if you think you're some kind of prodigy writer and the world is just waiting for you to drool your creative juices over a beloved franchise? You better deliver. Hard.

_________

The worst possible option, imo, is a combination of 1. & 2.

And sadly this seems to be the case judging by the trailer. Not close enough to the original, yet too cringe to take it serious. It's neither fish nor fowl.
    Last edited by Jabra; October 2nd, 2021 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MajinArekkusu View Post
    This will be an interesting experiment, cause if this show fails in adaptaing a sci fi show then I will have zero hopes of One Piece being any good coming from the same studio.
    Studio doesn't mean much beyond who is footing the bill and sometimes notes. But the people working on it do.

ANd heck, even the creative talent varies. Not even Spielberg nails it every time.

Netflix greenlights and funds a lot of stuff. Some of it is garbage, and some of it great. But for every 10 Chicago Party Aunts, you sometimes get a Bojack Horseman.

One miss doesn't mean all misses any more than one success does.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information