Page 342 of 344 FirstFirst ... 242 292 332 340 341 342 343 344 LastLast
Results 6,821 to 6,840 of 6867

Thread: Doctor Who

Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar

Default Re: Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    Also, I forgot how bad the CGI was in the early seasons of New Who. lol
    Yessss.
    I think it really got pretty good in Season 4. Remember liking all the CG in the Stolen Earth/Journey's End finale. There were good bits here and there before that though, like the beast in season 2's The Satan Pit

Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    I remember quite enjoying Torchwood and his more messed up people and creepy in the first 2 seasons. Thought it made a nice other side of the coin to the the more bright and hopeful Doctor Who. Random shoes I found very terrible. Out time was great with the different pairings it had and probably my favourite of the first season.
    Honestly I'm surprised I stuck with it after Cyberwoman. Eventually worth it due to season 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post

"Ugly" people get acting roles all the time too. Because they can act. Heck, most of the Doctors are *weird* looking non-conventional guys.

Again, there was an entire conversation, hour long video, and 10 seasons of television scripts that you skipped over.
    I never said ugly people don't get roles. I said that your appearance determines the role you get.

But you are right, i had responded to a month's long comment.

No need to dredge it up again.

But I still maintain that there was nothing wrong with that comment. Unless you were there or have video of him actually saying it.
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

Russell T. Davies will return as showrunner in 2023: https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/doc...ns-1235073307/

I'm amazingly hyped for this! I like Moffat, but Davies was a bit better and more consistent. And they both are miles better than Chibnall. If they get The Doctor right then this could be really special.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiolino View Post
    Russell T. Davies will return as showrunner in 2023: https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/doc...ns-1235073307/
    They coulda had muther luvin Babylon 5 creator J. Michael Straczynski and they go back to Davies?

Sigh.

Not like i've been digging the show the last few years anyway.

I overall really disliked the Davies era and never go back to it... it was largely carried on the raw strength of Tennant... and the episodes Moffat wrote.

but then, most of that not-enjoying is the fact that I really, REALLY hate Rose and she ate the first three seasons, including the third one she wasn't even in, and the back end of the fourth, so I guess if she's not returning it might be better.

The Donna season is the only one I consistently enjoy, and even she gets her time eaten up by Martha returning after a "super long absence of about 20 minutes".
    Last edited by Robby; September 24th, 2021 at 08:13 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Well, obviously the producers are scared and going back to someone that has worked for them in the past.

I didn't mind the RTD era. I thought it was least fun and colorful, but then I haven't rewatched most of it since my initial viewing.

And I don't take this at all as a guarantee that the show will become great again.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    They coulda had muther luvin Babylon 5 creator J. Michael Straczynski and they go back to Davies?

Sigh.

Not like i've been digging the show the last few years anyway.

I overall really disliked the Davies era and never go back to it... it was largely carried on the raw strength of Tennant... and the episodes Moffat wrote.

but then, most of that not-enjoying is the fact that I really, REALLY hate Rose and she ate the first three seasons, including the third one she wasn't even in, and the back end of the fourth, so I guess if she's not returning it might be better. The Donna season is the only one I consistently enjoy.
    I gotta disagree since Series 1 without Tennant is so strong. In fact, it may be my favorite full series of NuWho and I personally don't think there are any bad episodes in it, but I know a lot of people don't like the Slitheen 2-parter. I didn't like Rose the first time I watched everything, but I watched all of nuwho last year and most of the stuff was solid. There are definitely some clunkers in the Tennant seasons, but I think the ratio of good/to bad episodes is better than with 11, 12, or 13.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.

His return season *will* be the 60th anniversary season so it definitely makes sense that they're going with someone dependable.

Wonder if we're going to get a reunion special with all the recent doctors while they're still young enough to look like themselves. By the 70th or 75th you'd run into the same problem the 50th where 4-7 had aged too much to reasonably put onscreen as their classic character.

They won't be filming that till like, spring of 2023 so a long ways away, but still. Smith and Tennant would almost certainly be willing to come back. Its harder to tell with Capaldi, he comes off in interviews as if he's done, and Whitaker will have *just* left, (and might find it unfair for whoever the new person is) but... It will also be the last real chance to get any of the classic ones on in *some* capacity, even if not playing the Doctor, given they'll all except Davidson be pushing 80 at that point, and Tom Baker almost 90.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Just saw the news. It's an interesting turn of events, and I hope he is prepared to mix things up and not just go back to his original formula. Like Nobodyman said, it seems they're too timid to take a chance with a fresh new face, which is probably what they actually need.

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

They just had a relatively fresh new face take over for 3 series and at least 2 of them were duds. Going back to a guy who gave them 4 knockout series seems like a safe bet for at least a couple more.

I'm honestly shocked. I loved his original run and cannot wait to see what he does this time.
    She/Her
    Want to be a girl? Click here!
    What's gender dysphoria, you ask? Click here to find out!

I loved the RTD era. Made me love the Daleks and gave me the sense of whimsy I associate with who. Also I think the best Moffat episodes are from that era where his vision was forced into self contained stories and were spaced out instead of the full narrative.

However I always appreciate who always changing and moving forward with its main character the supporting cast and who was at helm. So I have feel weird about going back to hold grounds instead of seeing a new vision.. For an anniversary or maybe introduce a new season that's nice. But a full series? It feels like unfortunate step back.

Woah!!! I never thought Russel T Davies will come back! This is extremely unexpected, but exciting at the same time!

Also, I'm guessing I'm one of the few people that actually likes Rose! I guess I'm the weird one out of the bunch. I enjoy all of his seasons!

Regardless, I think this is great news and I'm super hyped about this!

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    They just had a relatively fresh new face take over for 3 series and at least 2 of them were duds. Going back to a guy who gave them 4 knockout series seems like a safe bet for at least a couple more.
    Chris Chibnall was not a fresh face. He was already a writer on the show and part of the same circle as Moffat and RTD. When he was chosen as the next show runner, I just rolled my eyes knowing he was Mr. Play it safe.
    I'm looking towards an actual new generation.
    Wouldn't call RTDs seasons pure "knockouts" either, he had a lot of shit episodes, like every other producer of the show.

Quote Originally Posted by starlalilymoon View Post

Also, I'm guessing I'm one of the few people that actually likes Rose!:
    She's been voted favorite companion by a landslide everywhere as long as she's existed so probably one of the few.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
    Wouldn't call RTDs seasons pure "knockouts" either, he had a lot of shit episodes, like every other producer of the show.
    I didn't say every episode of his series were knockouts, but that the series themselves were, which I'll definitely stand by. Every Doctor Who series has shit episodes (except for NuWho series 1 imo), but the great ones have enough great episodes and moments that you remember them more than the bull. The seasons also were behemoths when it came to viewership and selling merchandise. All of them were definitely knockouts to me. And for the record 1>3>4>2.

My RTD ranking is 4 > 2 > 1 >> 3

4 win because most consistent. I dont think there's an episode I truly dislike in it. And the Donna-10th friendship is one of my favorite relations of the show. And I liked how more active the companion felt to the plot. truly felt like partners rather then overzealous student. Both learning from each other.

2 I think it has the best finale. And my favorite who episode. And I like Rose so the drama of the final moments worked very well for me.

1 had a nice narrative progression. I dont care for it that much but I still think its a nice well told season.

3 ended strong but I wasnt a fan of Martha and the whole shtick with the rebound that makes you feel bad for liking Rose.

My ranking is 4 > 3> 1 > 2. Series 2 had the majority of my least favorite episodes, the budget was the lowest since pre-return so it looked pretty bad, and I was never really hot on 10/Rose. The highlights were The Girl In the Fireplace and School Reunion, but a lot of it was forgettable.

I'm honestly more of a fan of the Moffat seasons, even though there were times when I wanted to throw him off a roof. As much as I love Tennant and Eccleston, Smith and Capaldi were more "my doctors".

I am a big 12th fan. 11th I dont like. Although his relation with Amy was interesting.

Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar

As a writer Moff was better, but as a showrunner I far preferred RTD. For one thing his finales generally made far more sense, even if he pulled deus ex's too frequently.

Only concern for me is it's been ten years since he was in charge and I wonder if he can recapture the vibe of his first tenure. Hope so!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkstorm View Post
    As a writer Moff was better, but as a showrunner I far preferred RTD.
    Agreed
    Only concern for me is it's been ten years since he was in charge and I wonder if he can recapture the vibe of his first tenure. Hope so!
    I do wish Jodie could have lasted a little bit to see how RTD handle her as I think she took many cues from Tennant.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information