+ Reply to Thread
Page 341 of 343 FirstFirst ... 241 291 331 339 340 341 342 343 LastLast
Results 6,801 to 6,820 of 6859

Thread: Doctor Who

Default Re: Doctor Who

While Moffat had bad moments, and some really annoying tropes that he relied on, I personally think he was one of the show's better showrunners. Overall, I really enjoyed his tenure, even if he probably stayed too long. You know he loved DW, and he was passionate about it. He wrote some great, memorable dialogue.
    Chibnall just seemed to me like the BBC's "safe" choice but I don't think he even wanted it. We'll see how the next season goes, but my main issue with the last two is they never got a hold on companion dynamics.

Maybe it is time to give the show another "rest" and give it time for a new generation of fans to raise up with new and relevant ideas.

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

Moffat was brilliant and a good fit for the show, and folks were excited when he started because he'd witten nothing but A+ scripts up to that point... but he'd also pretty much already used his whole bag of tricks.

But he was ready to leave when Matt was after the 50th anniversary. That he stayed on for another three seasons, largely because there was no one else, led to a lot or repetition of ideas and diminishing returns .Some really good stuff in Capaldi's run, and some bad.

That he was also helming Sherlock at the same time, well... (And there's NO defending Sherlock, it was bad in its third season, and outright awful in its fourth).

Some things have come out about Moffat that don't make him look great as an actual *person*, and that's... not great.Like he dumped on Karen Gillian about her looks? What?

Last edited by Robby; July 29th, 2021 at 08:06 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar

Never heard that about Moff, super disappointing. :(
    Only ever watched the first season of Sherlock, wasn't really my thing (although I love the original stories).

Yeah, Moffat being misogynistic after what he would do any say about the queerbaiting in Sherlock is no surprise. :/

I hope the next Doctor is also a woman. My dream choice is Abigail Thorn! :p
    She/Her | Want to be a girl? Click here! | What's gender dysphoria, you ask? Click here to find out!

My dream cast for years has been Daniel Kaluuya. Unfortunately, he's become insanely famous since Jodie became the Doctor so I'd say there's no chance he takes the role.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

Honestly, I liked all of the different stories for Modern Who. Even some of the Chibnall stories to be honest. Like it was nice to learn about the thing with India and Pakistan with the borderlines and such. I thought was a nice touch, and I hope we can more stories from the past from cultures that are well not American or British.

Though my least favorite seasons was series 11 (no overarching plot connecting the episodes) and the first half of series 7, again for the same reasons. Series 1 was okay too, but not one of my favorites to watch I guess. I like the 9th doctor as much as the 13th doctor basically.

And I was hoping Jodie stay on for another series to break the three series tradition, plus she had the least amount of episodes minus the ninth doctor since the episode count got count. I wonder how the new showrunner will be and who the 14th doctor be. I honestly love another female doctor, but I guess we see what we get!

Though I'm guessing a lot of people are happy with Chibnall leaving, I have no opinion about him, since I did enjoy most of the stuff in his era. I'm probably one of the few... that likes the Timeless Children plotline.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Some things have come out about Moffat that don't make him look great as an actual *person*, and that's... not great. Like, he dumped on Karen Gillian about her looks? What
    Wait what? Karen Gillian is like super beautiful, did he call her ugly or something? What the fuck? *a little confused what you mean, and don't have time to watch the video currently since it is almost an hour*

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    My dream cast for years has been Daniel Kaluuya. Unfortunately, he's become insanely famous since Jodie became the Doctor so I'd say there's no chance he takes the role.
    That would be pretty cool! I was like wait, why does he look so familiar, and then I saw he played in Black Panther! Honestly, I don't know any actors that could play the doctor, but I probably like anyone as long as they make the Doctor look cool and epic!

Quote Originally Posted by starlalilymoon View Post
    Wait what? Karen Gillian is like super beautiful, did he call her ugly or something? What the fuck? *a little confused what you mean, and don't have time to watch the video currently since it is almost an hour*
    He apparently said 'Well, she's really good. It's just a shame she's so wee and dumpy.' That was apparently before he actually met her, so maybe she looked bad in a camera test or something, but still?

Even without that it's pretty clear he has some issues with women that you could see in his scripts. Like they always have the love interest praising the super amazing man (and dying for him...)... be it the Doctor or Sherlock. And his issues with gay men are pretty obvious in Sherlock with all the queerbaiting. (But lesbians are fine.)

Like it doesn't make him a bad writer or a *terrible* person, but there's definitely some stuff there.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

He apparently said 'Well, she's really good. It's just a shame she's so wee and dumpy.' That was apparently before he actually met her, so maybe she looked bad in a camera test or something, but still?
    Oof x.x Yeah, sounds kinda sexist towards petite women or something? I don't know.

Even without that it's pretty clear he has some issues with women that you could see in his scripts. Like they always have the love interest praising the super amazing man (and dying for him...)... be it the Doctor or Sherlock.
    Hmmm, I always saw Amy and Clara as strong woman that took charge, especially Clara. Maybe with Riversong, she did die for the Doctor.

And his issues with gay men are pretty obvious in Sherlock with all the queerbaiting. (But lesbians are fine.)
    What is queerbaiting?

Like it doesn't make him a bad writer or a *terrible* person, but there's definitely some stuff there.
    Yeah, it makes sense. Everyone has their faults, so I get it. I just never knew this till now.

Queerbaiting is including queer-coded characters and situations without ever paying off on them.

Like Bucky and Sam doing couples counseling in The Falcon and the Winter Soldier.
    She/Her | Want to be a girl? Click here! | What's gender dysphoria, you ask? Click here to find out!

Quote Originally Posted by JulieYBM View Post
    Queerbaiting is including queer-coded characters and situations without ever paying off on them.

Like Bucky and Sam doing couples counseling in The Falcon and the Winter Soldier.
    Oh, I understand now. Thank you for explaining!

That scene with Bucky and Sam was hilarious though! xD

Quote Originally Posted by starlalilymoon View Post
    Oh, I understand now. Thank you for explaining!

That scene with Bucky and Sam was hilarious though! xD
    It's a great scene! It really bothers me that they won't just...go with it? Then again, I don't believe either of the actors are attracted to men so I don't really want to just give straight actors roles and representation that should be played by actual men-loving-men. :\

Quote Originally Posted by JulieYBM View Post
    It's a great scene! It really bothers me that they won't just...go with it?
    Oh, oki! I never was bothered by it! (I'm bisexual/pansexual.)

By the way, I think I remember now the queerbaiting in Doctor Who, it was usually with Craig from what I remember xD; though I really founded those episodes hilarious too! =^.^=

Finished up all the missing Patrick Troughton episodes I hadn't seen yet. And so, officially, I have seen every single Classic Who episode.

Spoiler:
    The Highlanders - The last of the pure historicals (until Black Orchid) and, unfortunately, it's not a particularly strong one. And the recreation I watched was of pretty shitty quality, so that definitely dampened my enjoyment of it. I'm not super familiar with the historical events this story is based, so it was least interesting to learn something about it. And hey, this was the first story to feature Jamie, who would stick with the 2nd Doctor for the entire rest of his run!

The Underwater Menace - Not bad. Not the best-written story, but it definitely has the feel a typical classic Doctor Who story. Had some nice effects (for the time) when they showed the fishmen floating in the water.

The Macra Terror - Watched the animated recreation for this one. It's a good story. Effectively eerie and tense and the Macra are definitely a unique enemy.

The Faceless Ones - I'm surprised how much I enjoyed this one. Not that this story is infamously bad or anything, but based on the reviews I've read I thought it would be a fairly mediocre outing. But I really got into this story. This may just be me, but I think an airport is a unique and interesting setting for a Doctor Who adventure. So yeah, I'd personally say this story is pretty underrated. Does lose a few points though for having Ben and Polly disappear for the second half.

The Evil of the Daleks - Another strong Dalek story (though not quite as strong as Power of the Daleks). Very interesting premise with some twists and turns, and it has the first the appearance of the Dalek Emperor (not to mention Victoria).

The Abominable Snowmen - It's okay. Not much to say about it really. It was just a decently entertaining adventure. Probably should have been four episodes instead of six. Has the first appearance of the Great Intelligence.

The Ice Warriors - Again, just okay. And again probably should've been just four episodes. As the title indicates, it's the first appearance of the Ice Warriors. Honestly, considering the quality of their stories, I'm kind of surprised these guys have become a staple of the Doctor Who franchise (though not as much as the Daleks or Cybermen, granted). Like, their stories aren't bad (most of them), but I'm not sure there are any that I can say are absolute must-sees (I did like Cold War though).

Fury From the Deep - Watched the animated recreation for this one as well. Another creepy episode that builds up its threat effectively (and that's saying something as the enemy in this story is seaweed). And it famously has the first appearance of the sonic screwdriver, and the Doctor uses it as *gasp* a screwdriver! Also, it's Victoria's last outing with the Doctor and she gets a nice send off.

The Wheel in Space - Easily the weakest of the four Troughton Cybermen stories (wow, they must have been really popular at the time). It has its moments, particularly with The Doctor and the introduction of Zoe, but mostly it's just a dull tedious affair that struggled to keep my attention. I would say this should have been four episodes instead of six, but I think the script would have needed some major reworking even on top of that for it to work.

The Space Pirates - And unfortunately my marathon ends on an incredibly weak story. Holy god this was painful. Possibly the worst Classic Who story I've ever seen. Episodes like Timelash, Time-Flight, Warriors From the Deep, The Twin Dilemma, etc. are at least amusing in how dumb they are, but this was just horrendously dull. Even worse than Wheel in Space. The plot is incomprehensible and the poor audio recordings I listened to (which, admittedly, isn't the episode's fault) only made it worse. And I have no idea what accent the actor who played Clancey was trying to do. I guess it was supposed to be Southern-American, but it feels like someone described to him what a Southern-American accent sounds like. And of course this story is six agonizing episodes. And no. No trimming it down to four episodes. No reworking the script. Just throw this script in the dumpster and try again. Ugh. It's hard to believe that this was written by Robert Holmes, who would go on to write some of the best Doctor Who stories ever. Hell, he might be the best writer in the show's history. Guess there's something to be said for giving someone a second chance.

Galaxy 4 in november. Was not expecting another animation so close to the Evil of the Daleks release this month, but I'll take it:

https://www.doctorwho.tv/news/?artic...lliam-hartnell

Abominable Snowmen is rumoured next, if/when that comes out, half of the missing serials will have been animated (or Galaxy 4 makes half if you don't count mission to the unknown lol).

Oh my god, you cannot be serious.

This is something to get upset about? Like really, are you being serious right now.

Like, the man was probably expressing an n]honest opinion about a potential cast.

I fully believe that this are the kind of statements casting agents and directors make all the time.

My friend, one of the most important aspects to a performer is how they look. Its what determines the roles they get.

How in any universe, is this something to get upset about.

Get outta here with that nonsense.
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

Quote Originally Posted by kevo_koma View Post
    Oh my god, you cannot be serious.

This is something to get upset about? Like really, are you being serious right now.
    1. You're replying to a post from 3 months ago.

2. I'm not upset about it.

Like, the man was probably expressing an n]honest opinion about a potential cast.
    The context of the conversation was that Moffatt has a problem with women, (and gay men) and that's very clear if you've seen just about any episode he's written. Especially any of the River episodes or the later seasons of Sherlock where the female characters exists purely to monologue about how brilliant and amazing the men in their lives are, and literally *die* for them. He fridged his female characters quite a bit. Heck, Clara died three or four different times!

That one quote is an on the record quote of him insulting an actress for her looks, one of many, that *in tandem* with his scripts paints a picture. The quote by itself in isolation isn't much, no.

There's also an *hour long* video on the subject higher up on the page which was part of the conversation, but if you skipped that then I guess its easy to take things out of context and jump to wild conclusions.

I fully believe that this are the kind of statements casting agents and directors make all the time.
    So ALL of hollywood is sexist and awful, and that makes it better? Got it!

So Harvey Weinstein and Joss Whedon are in the clear then? Casting agents and directors are abusive all the time, but everyone does it so its okay.

My friend, one of the most important aspects to a performer is how they look. Its what determines the roles they get.
    Ah, that's why Karen Gillan's biggest role has involved her shaving her head and going through four hours of makeup?

Yes, looks matter, but makeup departments are like 90% of that particular battle, especially in sci-fi.

"Ugly" people get acting roles all the time too. Because they can act. Heck, most of the Doctors are *weird* looking non-conventional guys.

How in any universe, is this something to get upset about.

Get outta here with that nonsense.
    Again, there was an entire conversation, hour long video, and 10 seasons of television scripts that you skipped over.
    Last edited by Robby; September 16th, 2021 at 01:37 AM.

Bit late to the party, but I'm finally watching Torchwood and Sarah Jane Adventures. Finished up the first season of both.

Torchwood - Woof. This got off to a rough start. I don't know why, but apparently the writers thought it would be great to have the main cast be as unlikable as possible. Well...okay, they're not irredeemably bad and this season does have some good stuff in it. Still, the first half of the season may be hard for a lot of people to get through. As for me, I mainly just felt kinda "meh" about most of the episodes. I guess there are some neat plot ideas, but they're not carried out in exceptionally interesting ways and the portrayal of the characters don't help either. But the second half of the season does turn things around a bit with episodes like Random Shoes, Out of Time, and Captain Jack Harkness. Funny enough, my first exposure to Torchwood was through the first three audio stories from Big Finish, which I quite enjoyed, so I know this series has potential. And while I'm not super excited for season 2, I'll definitely stick with it for the Children of Earth five-parter, which I've heard nothing but great things about.

Sarah Jane - This was a lot of fun and pretty much what you'd expect from a show focusing on a Doctor Who companion. And that's quite impressive considering two of the stories from the first season are Slitheen episodes, and, honestly, they aren't bad (well, the second one at least, in which they finally got rid of that farting nonsense). Interestingly, each story in this show is a two-parter with a half hour for each, so I'm not sure why they didn't just make it a 50-minute show like Doctor Who and Torchwood, but whatever. Also impressive is that this show has three child actors and they all do a darn good job. And, of course, Elisabeth Sladen, God rest her soul, gives a great performance as well. Oh, and Maria's dad definitely deserves some kind of award for being one of the coolest dads ever. Yeah, definitely had more fun with this than Torchwood.

Also, it's kind of funny how both shows just sort of drop you into the lives of these characters who are doing totally different things from when we last saw them without any explanation. With Sarah Jane it's more excusable since you can more or less conclude that she's been continuing her alien investigative stuff and been having lots of adventures since separating from the Fourth Doctor. They even explain how she got Mr. Smith at the end of the season. With Torchwood though, I still have no clue how Jack became the head of Torchwood.

Sarah Jane Adventures was a ton of fun.

I was actually never the biggest fan of Liz as SJS the companion (far preferred Ace, Zoe, Leela, Romana I & Barbara), but in SJA she's absolutely fantastic.

I remember quite enjoying Torchwood and his more messed up people and creepy in the first 2 seasons. Thought it made a nice other side of the coin to the the more bright and hopeful Doctor Who. Random shoes I found very terrible. Out time was great with the different pairings it had and probably my favourite of the first season.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information