+ Reply to Thread
Page 340 of 344 FirstFirst ... 240 290 330 338 339 340 341 342 ... LastLast
Results 6,781 to 6,800 of 6863

Thread: Doctor Who

  1. #6781
    The Album Guy Nobodyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Virginia, US

    Default Re: Doctor Who

    Quote Originally Posted by starlalilymoon View Post
    Where's the best place to watch Classic Who? Is BritBox the only place to watch them or is there other sites? Thank you in advance!
    Yeah, I think BritBox is your best bet. As far as I'm aware, they're the only service that has all the classic episodes, with the exception of most of the missing episodes. If you want to watch the missing episodes that haven't had official animated recreations, you'll have to track down fan-made recreations.

  2. #6782

    Default Re: Doctor Who

    Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    Yeah, I think BritBox is your best bet. As far as I'm aware, they're the only service that has all the classic episodes, with the exception of most of the missing episodes. If you want to watch the missing episodes that haven't had official animated recreations, you'll have to track down fan-made recreations.
    Okay great! And yeah, I probably use BritBox then to see all the episodes, though I love to see the fan-made recreations for the missing episodes that were not animated by the BBC, where would I go to find those?

  3. #6783

    Default Re: Doctor Who

    Watching Classic Who is quite an undertaking. I think it took me about 7 months to get through. At that time the only options I had was to piece together through Hulu which had maybe half of them but not consecutively, and DailyMotion uploads.

    Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

  4. #6784
    The Album Guy Nobodyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Virginia, US

    Default Re: Doctor Who

    Quote Originally Posted by starlalilymoon View Post
    Okay great! And yeah, I probably use BritBox then to see all the episodes, though I love to see the fan-made recreations for the missing episodes that were not animated by the BBC, where would I go to find those?
    I think all the missing episode reconstructions made by Loose Cannon (which is pretty much the go-to for reconstructions) have been uploaded to Daily Motion.

    Incidentally, I'm watching all the missing episodes myself now since I skipped them during my first Classic Who watch. For the most part, they're still quite enjoyable and easy to follow.

  5. #6785
    The Album Guy Nobodyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Virginia, US

    Default Re: Doctor Who

    So, as I said earlier, I've been watching reconstructions of all the missing Doctor Who episodes that I skipped on my first watchthrough of the Classic series and just finished up all the Hartnell stories. It's been interesting going back and watching these now I've watched, like, 95% of all Doctor Who episodes. And, for the most part, a lot of these episodes hold up pretty well.

    Spoiler:
    Marco Polo - A really strong historical episode. I've always been fascinated by Asian history and it's a shame it's a topic Doctor Who doesn't explore very often. At 7 episodes it is perhaps a touch too long, but...nah, I was never bored by it.

    The Crusade - Another strong historical, though not quite as good as Marco Polo, IMO. If anything, I think this story needed to be an episode or two longer as it ended just as it seemed things were picking up.

    Galaxy 4 - And here's our first stinker of the bunch. Easily one of worst Hartnell stories. Just four episodes of basically nothing happening over a very simple story. The Doctor, Steven, and Vicki meet encounter two alien races on a dying planet (one of which is all female for some reason) and it turns out the ugly aliens are the good ones, so don't judge by appearances, kids. Perhaps the producers were hoping that the Chumbleys would catch on? But no, they get pretty old pretty quick.

    Mission to the Unknown - Serves as a prelude to The Daleks' Master Plan and is completely Doctor and Companions-free. An interesting experiment that pays off pretty well. I think it would've been cool if they had done more stuff like this (not counting the Doctor-lite episodes). I actually watched the remake of this, which is free to watch on Youtube.

    The Mythmakers - Although the Trojan War is dubiously historical, this is still another strong "historical" episode. I really like how it builds up Vicki's departure and makes it quite believable. Katarina, however, just kinda comes out of nowhere in the last episode to become the replacement companion and then they just write her out four episodes later anyway. A shame. A girl from ancient Troy could've had some real potential as a companion, but I guess the Doctor Who audience just wasn't ready for that.

    The Daleks' Master Plan - And here it is. The epic 12-part Dalek serial that, to date, is still the longest Doctor Who story every filmed (unless you count Trial of a Time Lord as one story). And yeah, for the most part, this story really delivers. Despite being 12 episodes, it never feels padded out or overly long. Mavic Chen and, of course, the Daleks are suitably menacing villains. And of course this story is infamous for killing off two of the Doctor's companions, a first for the series. True, the producers never intended to have a Sara as a permanent companion, but she actually got more screen time than Katarina and traveled with the Doctor in the TARDIS, so I'd say she counts. Also, holy crap, this episode has Nicholas Courtney, which I didn't even know until I saw the episode. Suitably, this story ends on a very dour note with the Doctor and Steven remembering all the lives lost during the adventure. But after all that harshness I'm sure the writers will liven things up with a nice light-hearted story, right?

    The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve - Hmm...okay then. Well, it's not overly harsh, but yeah, this is still a pretty grim subject matter that the story doesn't shy away from. That said, my French history isn't the best, so some of it was kind of hard to follow. But even so, it's an overall great episode. And it's got a heck of a finale with Steven very nearly leaving the Doctor (which, after the last two adventures, I don't blame him one bit). And although Dodo's sudden appearance is pretty random, it's still built up pretty well and manages to work somehow. And at this point I have to say it really is a pity that the showrunners pretty much gave up on pure historicals once Hartnell left. Honestly, I think his historical episodes might be overall stronger than his sci-fi episodes. But yeah, I know, kids want to see space aliens, not boring historical stuff. Little bastards. But I guess that's what we have Big Finish for.

    The Celestial Toymaker - The Doctor goes up against a demigod who challenges him to a battle of wits? This sounds like it should be an instant classic. But no, ultimately this episode is kind of disappointing. For the most part, the Doctor doesn't even really do anything in this story. He just sits around solving a Hanoi Tower puzzle (apparently Hartnell was on holiday when this episode was made). Most of the story focuses on Steven and Dodo solving a bunch of different puzzles and, unfortunately, this is one episode that suffers a lot from the missing footage since a lot of what happens is action-based. Also, the Celestial Toymaker was played by Michael Gough who, many years later, would play Alfred in the 90's Batman movies. Anyway, if you want a Celestial Toymaker story done right, I highly recommend Solitaire from Big Finish's Companion Chronicles range (I've also heard good things about Magic Mousetrap).

    The Savages - A pretty good, if standard, upper-class vs. lower-class struggle story. Not really a whole lot to say about it. This is Steven's last story, but unlike Vicki I don't think his departure was built up all that well.

    The Smugglers - Ben and Polly's first full adventure and it's a good old-fashioned treasure-hunting adventure with pirates. I found this story a little hard to follow, but it's still serviceable fun. Also, this episode is friggin' brutal with people getting stabbed and knifed, so much so that the BBC cut some of the clips from the broadcast. Ironically, this is why a few clips of the episode survive since they saved those cut clips.

    And with that I've seen (or experienced) every Hartnell story. Onto Troughton!

  6. #6786

    Default Re: Doctor Who

    This may be old, but it's one of my favorite Doctor Who parodies:


  7. #6787

  8. #6788
    Discovered Stowaway Kay_B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Springfield, Illinois

    Default Re: Doctor Who

    Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    So, as I said earlier, I've been watching reconstructions of all the missing Doctor Who episodes that I skipped on my first watchthrough of the Classic series and just finished up all the Hartnell stories. It's been interesting going back and watching these now I've watched, like, 95% of all Doctor Who episodes. And, for the most part, a lot of these episodes hold up pretty well.

    Spoiler:
    Marco Polo - A really strong historical episode. I've always been fascinated by Asian history and it's a shame it's a topic Doctor Who doesn't explore very often. At 7 episodes it is perhaps a touch too long, but...nah, I was never bored by it.

    The Crusade - Another strong historical, though not quite as good as Marco Polo, IMO. If anything, I think this story needed to be an episode or two longer as it ended just as it seemed things were picking up.

    Galaxy 4 - And here's our first stinker of the bunch. Easily one of worst Hartnell stories. Just four episodes of basically nothing happening over a very simple story. The Doctor, Steven, and Vicki meet encounter two alien races on a dying planet (one of which is all female for some reason) and it turns out the ugly aliens are the good ones, so don't judge by appearances, kids. Perhaps the producers were hoping that the Chumbleys would catch on? But no, they get pretty old pretty quick.

    Mission to the Unknown - Serves as a prelude to The Daleks' Master Plan and is completely Doctor and Companions-free. An interesting experiment that pays off pretty well. I think it would've been cool if they had done more stuff like this (not counting the Doctor-lite episodes). I actually watched the remake of this, which is free to watch on Youtube.

    The Mythmakers - Although the Trojan War is dubiously historical, this is still another strong "historical" episode. I really like how it builds up Vicki's departure and makes it quite believable. Katarina, however, just kinda comes out of nowhere in the last episode to become the replacement companion and then they just write her out four episodes later anyway. A shame. A girl from ancient Troy could've had some real potential as a companion, but I guess the Doctor Who audience just wasn't ready for that.

    The Daleks' Master Plan - And here it is. The epic 12-part Dalek serial that, to date, is still the longest Doctor Who story every filmed (unless you count Trial of a Time Lord as one story). And yeah, for the most part, this story really delivers. Despite being 12 episodes, it never feels padded out or overly long. Mavic Chen and, of course, the Daleks are suitably menacing villains. And of course this story is infamous for killing off two of the Doctor's companions, a first for the series. True, the producers never intended to have a Sara as a permanent companion, but she actually got more screen time than Katarina and traveled with the Doctor in the TARDIS, so I'd say she counts. Also, holy crap, this episode has Nicholas Courtney, which I didn't even know until I saw the episode. Suitably, this story ends on a very dour note with the Doctor and Steven remembering all the lives lost during the adventure. But after all that harshness I'm sure the writers will liven things up with a nice light-hearted story, right?

    The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve - Hmm...okay then. Well, it's not overly harsh, but yeah, this is still a pretty grim subject matter that the story doesn't shy away from. That said, my French history isn't the best, so some of it was kind of hard to follow. But even so, it's an overall great episode. And it's got a heck of a finale with Steven very nearly leaving the Doctor (which, after the last two adventures, I don't blame him one bit). And although Dodo's sudden appearance is pretty random, it's still built up pretty well and manages to work somehow. And at this point I have to say it really is a pity that the showrunners pretty much gave up on pure historicals once Hartnell left. Honestly, I think his historical episodes might be overall stronger than his sci-fi episodes. But yeah, I know, kids want to see space aliens, not boring historical stuff. Little bastards. But I guess that's what we have Big Finish for.

    The Celestial Toymaker - The Doctor goes up against a demigod who challenges him to a battle of wits? This sounds like it should be an instant classic. But no, ultimately this episode is kind of disappointing. For the most part, the Doctor doesn't even really do anything in this story. He just sits around solving a Hanoi Tower puzzle (apparently Hartnell was on holiday when this episode was made). Most of the story focuses on Steven and Dodo solving a bunch of different puzzles and, unfortunately, this is one episode that suffers a lot from the missing footage since a lot of what happens is action-based. Also, the Celestial Toymaker was played by Michael Gough who, many years later, would play Alfred in the 90's Batman movies. Anyway, if you want a Celestial Toymaker story done right, I highly recommend Solitaire from Big Finish's Companion Chronicles range (I've also heard good things about Magic Mousetrap).

    The Savages - A pretty good, if standard, upper-class vs. lower-class struggle story. Not really a whole lot to say about it. This is Steven's last story, but unlike Vicki I don't think his departure was built up all that well.

    The Smugglers - Ben and Polly's first full adventure and it's a good old-fashioned treasure-hunting adventure with pirates. I found this story a little hard to follow, but it's still serviceable fun. Also, this episode is friggin' brutal with people getting stabbed and knifed, so much so that the BBC cut some of the clips from the broadcast. Ironically, this is why a few clips of the episode survive since they saved those cut clips.

    And with that I've seen (or experienced) every Hartnell story. Onto Troughton!

    This is because the plot is well thought out. It happens that they work on the first seasons, and then they sculpt scripts and at least something after that. And the audience is not stupid, they see that the quality is deteriorating, the depth of the plot is missing.

  9. #6789

  10. #6790

    Default Re: Doctor Who

    Yay, finally. Seems to have a different feel from the last two seasons, tonally. Maybe. Pretty vague about story details.

    Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

  11. #6791
    I like videogames TLC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Malta

    Default Re: Doctor Who

    Has the new doctor evolved from being a diet David Tennant yet?

  12. #6792

    Default Re: Doctor Who

    Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    Damn! I'm super hyped! That one black dude reminds me of Killmonger from Black Panther! Maybe it's the same actor xD

    I like the trailer so far! I'm happy we finally have something new! Can't wait for more trailers to come!

    Quote Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
    Yay, finally. Seems to have a different feel from the last two seasons, tonally. Maybe. Pretty vague about story details.
    Yeah, it feels like it is more action-packed? That's what I'm sorta getting, but I do agree with ya, it feels different!

  13. #6793

    Default Re: Doctor Who

    Quote Originally Posted by starlalilymoon View Post
    Damn! I'm super hyped! That one black dude reminds me of Killmonger from Black Panther! Maybe it's the same actor xD
    !
    It's Jacob Anderson who played Grey worm in GoT.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Apparently, this season will be all one story. This good be good or terrible.

    Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

  14. #6794
    The Album Guy Nobodyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Virginia, US

    Default Re: Doctor Who

    Quote Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
    Apparently, this season will be all one story. This good be good or terrible.
    One story in the Key to Time sense, or really just one story like Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones?

  15. #6795

    Default Re: Doctor Who

    Who has had multiple season long arcs over the years that were pretty heavily connected. Key of Time and Trial of the Doctor were the biggies in the classic series, and 11's second season with the Impossible Astronaut and River's Origin was all one story for like 9 of its 13 episodes, and you have psuedo "arcs" like Bad Wolf or Impossible Girl or Missy's cyberman thing, but those were more just cliffhangers tied together than any real cohesive whole. Either way ts certainly not unheard of.

    So probably connected standalones. One actual big story would be super different for Who, and probably wouldn't play very well to its strengths.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

  16. #6796

    Default Re: Doctor Who

    I really don't know....we'll see when it happens.
    https://www.theverge.com/2021/7/25/2...-trailer-story

    “The big thing that we’re going to be doing this year is it’s all one story, so every episode is one chapter in a bigger story,” he says.
    There were two ways you could go: we’re just going to do lots of tiny episodes in one room with no monsters, or we could throw down the gauntlet and go “we’re going to do the biggest story we’ve ever done, we’re going to go all kinds of different places, we’re going to have all kinds of characters and monsters, and it’s all going to be part of a bigger whole.” I think it’s definitely the most ambitious thing we’ve done since we’ve been on the series."

    Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

  17. #6797

    Default Re: Doctor Who

    Quote Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
    It's Jacob Anderson who played Grey worm in GoT.
    Oooo, I really need to see Game of Thrones one day. Maybe I start reading the books. (Check them out in the library.)

    Quote Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
    I really don't know....we'll see when it happens.
    https://www.theverge.com/2021/7/25/2...-trailer-story

    The big thing that were going to be doing this year is its all one story, so every episode is one chapter in a bigger story, he says.
    There were two ways you could go: were just going to do lots of tiny episodes in one room with no monsters, or we could throw down the gauntlet and go were going to do the biggest story weve ever done, were going to go all kinds of different places, were going to have all kinds of characters and monsters, and its all going to be part of a bigger whole. I think its definitely the most ambitious thing weve done since weve been on the series."
    This is extremely interesting. It does sound like one long series, maybe it similar to like season 6 or like Robby said series of old.

    I wonder what the theme/story will be. I'm sure stuff with the Timeless Children will be brought up, though I don't feel like that be the general plot. I feel even more hyped as I like stories being more connected. It's why season 11 and the first half of season 7 felt off to me because it was just a bunch of singular episodes that were not connected.

  18. #6798
    Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Albion

    Default Re: Doctor Who

    Thankfully Chibbers is going next year:

    https://www.doctorwho.tv/news/?artic...ave-doctor-who

    It's a shame Jodie is leaving in lockstep, will never know how good she could have been with a good showrunner.

    Could not have thought Chibbers would have been as bad as Moff was in those last years, but he was somehow worse. Fingers crossed his replacement is competent.

  19. #6799
    The Album Guy Nobodyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Virginia, US

    Default Re: Doctor Who

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkstorm View Post
    Thankfully Chibbers is going next year:

    https://www.doctorwho.tv/news/?artic...ave-doctor-who

    It's a shame Jodie is leaving in lockstep, will never know how good she could have been with a good showrunner.

    Could not have thought Chibbers would have been as bad as Moff was in those last years, but he was somehow worse. Fingers crossed his replacement is competent.
    Chibnall always struck me as a really weird choice. Moffatt at least made sense since he always wrote the best stories, but Chibnall only wrote four stories over ten years and mostly they were just okay. He hadn't even written any stories for the 12th Doctor.

  20. #6800
    Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Albion

    Default Re: Doctor Who

    Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    Chibnall always struck me as a really weird choice. Moffatt at least made sense since he always wrote the best stories, but Chibnall only wrote four stories over ten years and mostly they were just okay. He hadn't even written any stories for the 12th Doctor.
    Yeah, I thought Moff the best choice at the time, whereas Chibers I can only assume was chosen because he knew Who and had a big success with Broadchurch. But that certainly didn't translate back to Who unfortunately.

    Very curious as to who will replace him, there's really nobody obvious, unless RTD fancies another go, which I doubt.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts