+ Reply to Thread
Page 336 of 343 FirstFirst ... 236 286 326 334 335 336 337 338 ... LastLast
Results 6,701 to 6,720 of 6859

Thread: Doctor Who

Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar

Default Re: Doctor Who

So that was a thing

Spoiler:
    The "changes everything" stuff was really just cartmel masterplan and series 6b duct-taped together with some minor alterations. I wonder if Tecteun is supposed to be Omega? The Morbius stuff was a nice touch for longtime fans.

Speaking of which, I wonder how this was for new fans? Felt like kind of a big infodump. I didn't mind it as it was all kind of fanwankish stuff and I enjoyed a lot of the references, but I wonder how people who have only been watching for a few years would have taken it?

The only surprise to me was the Judoon being able to transmat into a tardis.
    Overall it was kind of average with no real shocks.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
    To me, Barbara will always be my favorite. She was probably the most effective, intelligent and strong willed female companion all the way until Ace in the 80s.
    I'd have said Zoe over Barbara. Romana I and Leela would be in that conversation too, but up until Ace, Zoe would be my fave female companion. Brave and as smart as the doctor. Her causing a computer to destroy itself was always one of my fave moments.

Spoiler:
    I can see this revelation pissing a lot of people off. In addition to the Doctor becoming a "superhero", now she has a "chosen one" angle to her (if she didn't already). Me, I have mixed feelings on it, but I'd like to wait and see how this all plays out.

Still, good ending to what was overall a pretty strong season. Big improvement over last season where it felt like everyone was still trying to figure everything out.

It was an ok finale. Nothing particularly and nothing great. I feel I don't know Chibnall enough to care about the reveals. I'll have to wait what the future looks like.

Spoiler:
    I have no idea why any cybermen especially this one would listen to the master, go to a deserted planet and not instantly kill him. Also the actor seems to being doing 11th mannerism.

Cybermen to me has always been half machine half human so the last episodes going full it's just an armour and you're a dude inside hasn't been to my liking. The Cyberlords reminded me that Jacket Morpheus has when he is on Zion giving his speech.

I expect where the doctor comes from will be Chibnall's big thing. That and the division. We already had the doctor help make Daleks maybe the division will reveal how she is related to other big staple of the whoverse.

The monsters at the end are fun. I look forward to the special.

With the reveal
    Spoiler:
    Who wants random actors playing one off doctors from the countless lives?

How fine the doctor and companions are with others sacrifice continue to bother me.
    Last edited by desa; March 2nd, 2020 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkstorm View Post
    So that was a thing
    Spoiler:
    The "changes everything" stuff was really just cartmel masterplan and series 6b duct-taped together with some minor alterations. I wonder if Tecteun is supposed to be Omega? The Morbius stuff was a nice touch for longtime fans.
    Yeah, it wasn't really surprising in the end, was it? It all played out kind of how I expected in most ways. I get the impression some fans are mad about messing with history, but it's not really new, just old ideas repackaged from the "EU" days. Kind of surprised there weren't any references to something akin to looms, lol. Overall I thought it was executed just fine, I think Sascha really was the glue that held it together though. Good casting choice.

I'd have said Zoe over Barbara. Romana I and Leela would be in that conversation too, but up until Ace, Zoe would be my fave female companion. Brave and as smart as the doctor. Her causing a computer to destroy itself was always one of my fave moments.
    Eh, Zoe was *supposed* to be progressive because she was from the future, but as far as how she actually acted and interacted with the Doctor and other companions, she was still more just "the girl" IMO. Barbara really commanded the respect of the Doctor more than anyone else. Romana II was also really good, I really enjoyed her on the show. Still waiting for some kind of a return.

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

Discovered Stowaway killerbee1000's Avatar

So, that was quite the retcon.

Yeah, but unlike the retcon of "Clara made everything in the Doctor's life happen" it's actually interesting and even fixes a few old plotholes created by other producers who tried to retcon the series (e.g. the unknown regeneration faces in The Brain of Morbius).

I don't like retcons so the revised origin of the doctor doesn't appeal to me but it might let actors make fun cameos and Big finish could do a lot of cool thing with it. To me it's like Maul not being dead in Star Wars. I dont like it but people did cool stuff with it.

I'm fairly intrigued by that division story and seems like it could be cool.

I kind of hate it. It could lead to interesting things, but that's about all it has going for it in my eyes. I always hate when a character goes from being special from the choices they've made, to being born that way. I kind of like this theory I found about it, but need a bit more time to think on it. How about all of you?

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    I kind of hate it. It could lead to interesting things, but that's about all it has going for it in my eyes. I always hate when a character goes from being special from the choices they've made, to being born that way. I kind of like this theory I found about it, but need a bit more time to think on it. How about all of you?
    That's a fun theory too and not impossible. It would be a bit like Blade Runner 2049 in a sense.

But I wouldn't be surprised if Chibnall is just trying to get the story back to what is essentially the DW Extended Universe, what is known as the Cartmel Masterplan, that was supposed to be written into the TV show had it not been prematurely canceled but continued on in novels and comics for 15 years before the show came back. The Doctor is hinted at being something more than just a Time Lord, a being known as "The Other". They also try to incorporate Philip Hinchcliffe's plot to make Tom Baker one of the final incarnations of the Doctor, as it was explained why in the episode The Brain of Morbius, he has all these other faces shown other than the previous three. (He also made Roger Delgado the final Master incarnation and invented the idea of the Master stealing bodies instead).

The thing about being special from the choices they made v. being born that way, I don't think is really that much of an issue. Everything that makes the Doctor the character we know and love is still about the choices they made. That they happened to have a mysterious origin that was possibly exploited by Time Lords doesn't change much about the character, just changes what little we know about Time Lord origin. There could even be some bootstrap paradox involved with the Time Lord tech, and maybe the Timeless child of Gallifreyan origin after all.

Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar

I got a notification on my Big Finish app as I was heading to bed and it sounds like something worth mentioning to any Doctor Who place I could think of. On Friday evening at 7pm UK time, Big Finish is going to stream one of their 8th Doctor audio stories, The Chimes of Midnight, over SoundCloud while the story's writer and the actress who played the Doctor's companion live tweet

More details can be found here if anyone's interested:

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doc...istening-party
    Waldorf: You know Statler, after watching the last nine hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

This clip is over a year old but it seems like its a fun one.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Very well done fan edit giving six something resembling an actual regeneration.

To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

A couple of the impressions are *really* good, particularly Baker and Tennant, and Smith is pretty good. I thought they actually had the actors in on in it. Pertwee was really good too, I assumed it was his son.

The rest of the impressions not so much.
    Last edited by Robby; May 25th, 2020 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post

A couple of the impressions are *really* good, particularly Baker and Tennant, and Smith is pretty good. I thought they actually had the actors in on in it. Pertwee was really good too, I assumed it was his son.

The rest of the impressions not so much.
    Tom Baker or Colin? Doesn't really matter, because the same guy did the voices for 3, 4, and 5. Cast list is here

When you're discussing Doctor Who and a Baker is mentioned, always assume its Tom unless its explicitly mentioned to be Colin.

In other news, Big Finish is going to be completely revamping its audio drama releases. Most notably, the Monthly Adventures, which have been going consistently since 1999, will be ending with #275. In short, Big Finish will just be releases ranges for each individual Doctor. Of course, this won't all take effect until January 2022, but still quite a change.

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/revamped-doctor-who-audio-ranges-from-big-finish

EDIT: Oh man. Those McCoy and Capaldi impressions were painful.

Well, it's happening: Christopher Eccleston is doing Big Finish audios as the Ninth Doctor.

I did not think this would happen anytime soon, so I'm pleasantly surprised to see this! I always figured all he needed to do was at least one, and try one of Big Finish's famous lunches, and he'd be hooked. But to have him signed up for 4 box sets? That's more than I ever hoped for.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Zoro View Post
    Well, it's happening: Christopher Eccleston is doing Big Finish audios as the Ninth Doctor.

I did not think this would happen anytime soon, so I'm pleasantly surprised to see this! I always figured all he needed to do was at least one, and try one of Big Finish's famous lunches, and he'd be hooked. But to have him signed up for 4 box sets? That's more than I ever hoped for.
    Oh shoot! I'm so hyped for this! My favorite Doctor is finally back!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Zoro View Post

Well, you know there isn't a lot of movie/TV filming happening atm due to COVID, so I guess he is finding some unexpected free scheduling. ;)

As cool as the news is, after his attitude all these years about the franchise and its fans and hating the entire staff (despite none of them being on the show for a decade) , it feels like he's just conceding this because lockdown is forcing him to do ANYTHING, not because he actually wants to.

Or maybe 15 years later and after skipping the 50th he's finally lightening up. I dunno.

Great for those that are fans of his, but he was always one of my least favorite doctors and one of my least favorite seasons. (Though yes obviously the Empty Child/Doctor Dances two parter is brilliant.)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information