+ Reply to Thread
Page 335 of 344 FirstFirst ... 235 285 325 333 334 335 336 337 ... LastLast
Results 6,681 to 6,700 of 6863

Thread: Doctor Who

Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar

Default Re: Doctor Who

That was a wild ride.

I wonder if chibers is going the whole hog and saying all those faces in brain of morbius were the doctor.

Really enjoyed this episode. Fun ride from beginning to end with neat callbacks. Although the implications can go horribly wrong later.

I love seeing him back. I like her in that role.

Spoiler:
    For the little time she existed I think I might I like her presence more than 13th.

I didn't expect the return of the Chameleon arc at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkstorm View Post
    That was a wild ride.

I wonder if chibers is going the whole hog and saying all those faces in brain of morbius were the doctor.
    That came to my mind as well. For those that don't know, there was a push at one point to make Tom Baker the final regeneration, hence the unidentifiable faces shown in one episode. The same thing was done to the Master, so he was stealing bodies (much like the newest one did). Obviously they changed their minds about that, so those faces are just weird. Another interesting thing that a lot of people don't think about much: I don't remember which episode it was, but there was a scene with the 3rd doctor where he's hearing the voices of previous doctors in his head, and suddenly there's a female voice.

I think probably the most logical conclusion, assuming this is real or not some parallel universe, is this is pre-Hartnell. The second doctor was the first to use a Sonic Screwdriver. (Bootstrap paradox for wanting to build one?) Maybe people's theories about this Master being an older regeneration is correct. I think this new development lends some credence to it.

And yeah, Jack being back is cool. I had heard rumors about it, but since there has been rumors he's coming back like every season, I figured it was bunk.

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

I expect it to be an alternate timeline thing where Hartnell regenerated into this doctor instead of Troughton. And this alternate timeline has something to do with the secrets of Gallifrey. My current theory being the one with this doctor is the original timeline and the timelords use the timeless child to become the ones from the timeline we know.

But even if it's just another secret regeneration I expect they will find some hole to put it early 5 but post-Hartnell.

Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    I expect it to be an alternate timeline thing where Hartnell regenerated into this doctor instead of Troughton. And this alternate timeline has something to do with the secrets of Gallifrey. My current theory being the one with this doctor is the original timeline and the timelords use the timeless child to become the ones from the timeline we know.

But even if it's just another secret regeneration I expect they will find some hole to put it early 5 but post-Hartnell.
    I just saw a quote from Chibnall saying it's not a trick or a parallel universe. Show runners aren't always truthful, but there you go.
    the problem with this regeneration being post Hartnell is then there are too many regenerations in a cycle. Unless - The Doctor has always had limitless regenerations (maybe that's what the timeless child means?) and just forgot and assumed he was given more later.

There are also a lot of "Season 6B" fan theories out there, a lot of people have theorized for a while that there is missing time between the second doctor where the Timelords used him to do their dirty work before dumping him off at Earth as the third doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
    I just saw a quote from Chibnall saying it's not a trick or a parallel universe. Show runners aren't always truthful, but there you go.
    the problem with this regeneration being post Hartnell is then there are too many regenerations in a cycle. Unless - The Doctor has always had limitless regenerations (maybe that's what the timeless child means?) and just forgot and assumed he was given more later.
    But we know timelords can give more regenerations. With a life they want erased from the doctor's memory ( prize for good service or to forget a deep secret) the timelords would know to give him an extra one so he doesn't know the count is off.

Or they can retcon metacrisis didn't count and threw the doctor off.

But yeah I don't expect show runners to be really truthful. I expect them to be picky in their wording or vague and sometimes even lie.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Im really interested in Lee being the master and they forced him to become the ass we know because he was too much of a pacifist or too kind.

Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    But we know timelords can give more regenerations. With a life they want erased from the doctor's memory ( prize for good service or to forget a deep secret) the timelords would know to give him an extra one so he doesn't know the count is off.

Or they can retcon metacrisis didn't count and threw the doctor off.

But yeah I don't expect show runners to be really truthful. I expect them to be picky in their wording or vague and sometimes even lie.
    That's....a bit of a stretch to say he just was given an extra regeneration to throw him off....Would be lame writing at best. There isn't any precedent for adding just one or two extra regens, also it's pretty clear that it's something that isn't taken lightly and almost never done for anyone except under unusual circumstances.

Didn't they proposed the master a set of regeneration to help them out one time? If it is their biggest secret and the doctor is a pretty big deal I don't think it's taken lightly to make sure he doesn't know what happened. He is either dangerous enough or helpful enough to warrant being extra careful.

Like I said my true theory is a previous timeline that the timelord erased to make the one we know. And the buried memories the master was talking about(that every timelord has) is their lives in that original timeline.

That was my fave Doctor Who ep probably in about 5 years. Is it a blip or is the show finally turning a corner? Hopefully the latter!

Spoiler:
    The characterisation of the guest stars was fantastic. My favourite thing in this ep was that it ends with Clairmont disliking Byron earlier than she should and assumedly would now not have get pregnant with his child (guess it's not considered a fixed point in time!). It's a really nice touch because unless you knew the history of them you wouldn't realise it. Very subtle in a series that hasn't been that way recently. One of the things that makes me really like the episode. Another is that everyone INSTANTLY got the connection between Jack's warning and the cyberman here. And the cyberman got what it wanted because it gave them no choice, not because they were so dull witted that they only noticed it after the fact.

That was my fave Doctor Who ep probably in about 5 years. Is it a blip or is the show finally turning a corner? Hopefully the latter!

Spoiler:
    The characterisation of the guest stars was fantastic. My favourite thing in this ep was that it ends with Clairmont disliking Byron earlier than she should and assumedly would now not have get pregnant with his child (guess it's not considered a fixed point in time!). It's a really nice touch because unless you knew the history of them you wouldn't realise it. Very subtle in a series that hasn't been that way recently. One of the things that makes me really like the episode. Another is that everyone INSTANTLY got the connection between Jack's warning and the cyberman here. And the cyberman got what it wanted because it gave them no choice, not because they were so dull witted that they only noticed it after the fact.
    It was a good episode. Credit to the director for making it actually seem different and tense.

My only complaint about the episode is the Doctor going on this big hypocritical speech about how one life is important when she's spent most of this season not really giving a fuck about all the other people who've been dying.

Hidden:
    Heck in this two episodes 2 characters die, and absolutely no one shows any care or concern. One of them even died protecting a child but she's barely grieved or mentioned. They all just go on to happily ever after. I fucking hated it, because it seemed like the message was, if you're a famous person the doctor will save you, but if you wash pans for a living, then go fuck yourself.
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

I like really liked the atmospheric aspect of this episode. It was delightfully spooky. So much so that I didn't need the twist in this one.

Maybe it's because I don't know much about Percy and Mary Shelley or Lord Byron or any of that stuff, but I thought this episode was fairly standard for the first half

Spoiler:
    But then the Cyberman showed up and things did start to pick up after that.

I've watched various Who stuff, classic and new, over the past 7 years but only now am I trying to watch all 50 plus years in as close to chronological order as I can. Obviously, the tv episodes have a fairly clear chronology to them, but the big finish audios and the books don't fit into the timeline so perfectly. Some big finishes are direct sequels to classic stories, some of them loosely fit into continuity because of who's in the tardis at the moment and whichever adventures they reference. And then there's First Doctor companion Susan hanging out with the Eighth Doctor for a while before returning to the First, referencing her tales with Paul McGann. :/

Anyway, still in the First Doctor stuff. Halfway finished with The Time Meddler. Steven just might be my favorite companion of the First, thanks to this bit after he drunkly stumbles into the Tardis and doesn't believe any of the craziness he's been told.

Vicki: "Tardis. It stands for," *counts on fingers with occasional pauses* "Time. And. Relative. Dimensions. In Space."
    Steven: *pause* "Idby."
    Vicki: "What?"
    Steven: *counting on fingers, no pauses* "I. Don't. Believe. You."

Quote Originally Posted by kevo_koma View Post
    It was a good episode. Credit to the director for making it actually seem different and tense.

My only complaint about the episode is the Doctor going on this big hypocritical speech about how one life is important when she's spent most of this season not really giving a fuck about all the other people who've been dying.

Hidden:
    Heck in this two episodes 2 characters die, and absolutely no one shows any care or concern. One of them even died protecting a child but she's barely grieved or mentioned. They all just go on to happily ever after. I fucking hated it, because it seemed like the message was, if you're a famous person the doctor will save you, but if you wash pans for a living, then go fuck yourself.
    Spoiler:
    tbf, by the time they're dead, the doctor already knows she's dealing with a massive galaxy wide threat, so people she can't save isn't something she should be focusing on. But yeah, she's been pretty bad on that this series.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    Maybe it's because I don't know much about Percy and Mary Shelley or Lord Byron or any of that stuff, but I thought this episode was fairly standard for the first half

Spoiler:
    But then the Cyberman showed up and things did start to pick up after that.
    Spoiler:
    Another thing I really liked about the ep was the structure. we begin with weird things happening, and the figure in the lake is just another weird thing. Then we later find out the figure in the lake is trying to get in the house, and the ai and percy are doing all the weird stuff to keep it out - and the ai doesn't care about anyone in the house so when it does stuff it doesn't care who it affects. The shift from mystery to explanation is really well handled where again most of the season it just hasn't been, and it made the first half - which I already liked - retroactively better because the explanation made sense and was satisfying. Loved the idea of the cyberman having to navigate a maze for days.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hide View Post
    I've watched various Who stuff, classic and new, over the past 7 years but only now am I trying to watch all 50 plus years in as close to chronological order as I can. Obviously, the tv episodes have a fairly clear chronology to them, but the big finish audios and the books don't fit into the timeline so perfectly. Some big finishes are direct sequels to classic stories, some of them loosely fit into continuity because of who's in the tardis at the moment and whichever adventures they reference. And then there's First Doctor companion Susan hanging out with the Eighth Doctor for a while before returning to the First, referencing her tales with Paul McGann. :/

Anyway, still in the First Doctor stuff. Halfway finished with The Time Meddler. Steven just might be my favorite companion of the First, thanks to this bit after he drunkly stumbles into the Tardis and doesn't believe any of the craziness he's been told.

Vicki: "Tardis. It stands for," *counts on fingers with occasional pauses* "Time. And. Relative. Dimensions. In Space."
    Steven: *pause* "Idby."
    Vicki: "What?"
    Steven: *counting on fingers, no pauses* "I. Don't. Believe. You."
    I think Ian is probably my fave first doctor companion. Always ready for a scrap!

Spoiler:
    Another thing I really liked about the ep was the structure. we begin with weird things happening, and the figure in the lake is just another weird thing. Then we later find out the figure in the lake is trying to get in the house, and the ai and percy are doing all the weird stuff to keep it out - and the ai doesn't care about anyone in the house so when it does stuff it doesn't care who it affects. The shift from mystery to explanation is really well handled where again most of the season it just hasn't been, and it made the first half - which I already liked - retroactively better because the explanation made sense and was satisfying. Loved the idea of the cyberman having to navigate a maze for days.
    Spoiler:
    Actually, while watching the episode, my mind raced trying to think about and see if everything made sense. One thing I'm still not clear is why Duelly McDuelerson (sorry, I forget his real name) became a zombie and walked through a wall.

I think Ian is probably my fave first doctor companion. Always ready for a scrap!
    I'm usually indifferent to those 60s-style men of action types, but William Russell brought so much charm to Ian. Ian's the exception to my rule.

Spoiler:
    Actually, while watching the episode, my mind raced trying to think about and see if everything made sense. One thing I'm still not clear is why Duelly McDuelerson (sorry, I forget his real name) became a zombie and walked through a wall.
    Spoiler:
    He was just sleepwalking and since he was sleeping he wasnt affected by the fake maze.

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    My assumption was that he was like that because of the real ghosts. And because he wasn't under his own power, the perception filter didn't work on him so he was able to actually use the real doors.

--edit

Desa's idea makes sense too, although I thought the doctor looked a bit too puzzled for it to be that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hide View Post
    I'm usually indifferent to those 60s-style men of action types, but William Russell brought so much charm to Ian. Ian's the exception to my rule.
    My fave of his is The Romans
    Spoiler:
    He basically leads a revolution while on his holiday!

My fave of his is The Romans
    Spoiler:
    He basically leads a revolution while on his holiday!
    My favorite's in The Rocket Men audio drama where he goes toe to toe with Not!The Rocketeer while wearing a jetpack.

To me, Barbara will always be my favorite. She was probably the most effective, intelligent and strong willed female companion all the way until Ace in the 80s.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information