+ Reply to Thread
Page 334 of 343 FirstFirst ... 234 284 324 332 333 334 335 336 ... LastLast
Results 6,661 to 6,680 of 6859

Thread: Doctor Who

Default Re: Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by kevo_koma View Post
    Tennant and Smith rarely ever made covert references to their past regens but they still felt like the same guy, only the face was different.
    I don't know if I agree with that. I can see how Tennant and Eccelston were the same person because there was this gradual change to Tennant as he found himself that felt like the Doctor was relearning how to be himself again after the trauma he faced. But Smith's doctor was so cartoony that he stands out dramatically different to me.

My critique for Jodi's Doctor is that they are writing her to be as safe as possible so she hasn't developed any flavor of her own. It feels a lot of times she's a weird mash of Smith and Tennant's takes.

I think 13th feels like 10th without the inherent sadness. Each doctor has a emotion that is their wheelhouse but 13th hasn't found hers yet. My biggest problem is lack of intensity for now.

I like this trailer it seems properly fun.

Jodi feels a LOT like Doctor 5. From the bright clothes and blonde hair to the multiple companions and treating the adventures like a family outing, she's a lot like the old-school Doctor before the weight of everything got them down in NuWho.

You would think that would have been Capaldi after he forgave himself for the War upon learning he didn't REALLY destroy Gallifrey, but I guess his 800 years or whatever on Trenzalore assuming it was his final incarnation really wore him down.

The real issue is she hasn't really been allowed to put any flavor or character in there aside from a handful of jokes about being a man the other week, there's not a lot of energy or quirk there... but I pin that on the writing more than the acting.

Hopefully second season the new showrunners and writers have figured their stuff out.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar

Season opener was ok. Didn't blow me away but it was a decent watch, and the last five minutes were very interesting.

Spoiler:
    Loved seeing the Master show the tissue compressed agent in the matchstick box. Wonder if the aliens he's brought in are the Vardan. Wonder if they'll betray him next ep or break the age-old tradition. And is "everything you know is a lie" something for part 2, or the theme of the season?

Yeah, the season premiere wasn't bad, but it was tediously paced. Those last few minutes, however, really saved it.

It felt a bit long but the last moments made me intersted in the second part.
    Spoiler:

Yaz is a lot more entertaining to me this time around. She seems to do shit without being annoying. Ryan continue to be meh.

I thought england was like super aware of the doctor's existence. He married the queen. Really this new england is strange with how distant they are of the doctor.

I'm not sure what I think of this actor as the master yet but as writing go I liked it. Spending 2 hours trying to understand a race he team up with with his archenemy seems like the kind of troll move the master would make. And I like the idea that he called it the spymaster to both stroke his own ego and mock the doctor for not seeing the obvious.

Bomb in the plane is also good.

I hope the whole everything is a lie will lead to something interesting and not just a minor point. Maybe something about how Gallifrey isnt from this universe since we had a bunch of earth when they decoded the message.

So Torchwood and Unit are officially dead? That's sad.

It was an alright episode. Felt much more like a Doctor Who episode than most of last season.

Some things were dumb though. The chase scene was stupid and totally irrelevant. Why not use the Tardis?

Speaking of Tardis, why can random Humans just pick up and transport the Tardis from one place to another. That was just dumb. I know Unit did it in Day of The Doctor, but I assume its because the Tardis recognized them and allowed it. Otherwise, why wouldn't anyone just steal and hide the Tardis from the Doctor.

I was also a bit dissapointed in the Doctor. She seems to take orders from people very simply. There's a moment where she leaves people to apparently die, because Graham(the non expert), tells HER, The Doctor, that its too dangerous and they should retreat. Like, What in the Actual Fuck?

Last few minutes were pretty cool though. That was a dope reveal, and it kind of makes this new Era of Doctor Who feel like its connected to Modern Doctor Who.
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

I'm stoked to see Sacha Dhawan in Doctor Who, but a little sad that he probably won't ever be the Doctor now.

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

I feel like the Tardis get move all the time. It stays put because it's the size of a police box and the bad guy dont know where he put it(Usually because it vanished or got kind of lost). The real problem when there is one is getting inside.

Chase scene scene felt weird I agree. Especially when we went full gun action. I think it could work if it was maybe just Yaz in Ryan in it.

I didnt take the doctor listenning as her taking order but as her taking advice or cooperating. I mean she did get her own guy as soon she wanted to with no regard for that high spy agent. I think she's behaving fine. Its your classic the doctor want to do more but the companion reminds him there's a better way or that he cant do everything. I say give her time to grow on you.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
    I'm stoked to see Sacha Dhawan in Doctor Who, but a little sad that he probably won't ever be the Doctor now.
    Capaldi managed to appear in like 3 roles in this universe so dont lose hope.

Quote Originally Posted by kevo_koma View Post
    Speaking of Tardis, why can random Humans just pick up and transport the Tardis from one place to another. That was just dumb. I know Unit did it in Day of The Doctor, but I assume its because the Tardis recognized them and allowed it. Otherwise, why wouldn't anyone just steal and hide the Tardis from the Doctor.
    Pretty sure humans have always been able to move the TARDIS around. It doesn't happen that frequently, but it has happened.

Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post

Capaldi managed to appear in like 3 roles in this universe so dont lose hope.
    True, nothing is impossible, but this is definitely more significant than just a one shot side character.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    Pretty sure humans have always been able to move the TARDIS around. It doesn't happen that frequently, but it has happened.
    I'm pretty sure every companion from the mid 70s to the mid 80's piloted the TARDIS at some point.
    Also Clara and Ashildr flew it.
    Last edited by CosmicDebris; January 2nd, 2020 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
    I'm pretty sure every companion from the mid 70s to the mid 80's piloted the TARDIS at some point.
    Also Clara and Ashildr flew it.
    I think we are talking moving the police box itself like when Unit picked it up in the anniversary.

But Im surprise that many companions know how to fly the tardis.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Im used to England being the doctor's second home and them being kind of in on the joke. Im not a fan of them being like any country now. It doesnt feel as homey.

Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    I think we are talking moving the police box itself like when Unit picked it up in the anniversary.

But Im surprise that many companions know how to fly the tardis.
    In that case, there are plenty of episodes in the classic series where the TARDIS was picked up and moved around by civilians. If you would like to see some nerdy talk about the weight of the TARDIS and how it has never been consistent, read this thread: https://scifi.stackexchange.com/ques...om-the-outside

Quick thought after seeing part 2...

Spoiler:
    Character spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    The Master speaking to nazis: I always took you for reasonable people.

HOLY ****

I like the episode but it feels that they are course correcting it a bit hard. There's a middle ground between old and new.

Spoiler:

Blowing Gallifrey and returning the doctor to a sad sack pretending to be happy that quickly is a bit fast. And I cant help but feel it's all due to the critism last season.

Im curious about that timeless child thing tho and the out of time companions were quite enjoyable. Maybe more than the regular one.

Like last week, decent episode, but it did launch an intriguing season arc.

Spoiler:
    -I still don't exactly understand what the Kassavin were, what they were trying to do, or what their goal was (or how the re-writing DNA thing works)
    -Still feels like they're tying too hard with the pro-women stuff. The Doctor just so happens to come across two oft-overlooked historical women who were important to the development of computers.

Spoiler:

I thijk the light energy race plan was your classic RTD plan of we gonna replace humans then we spreqd into the universe.

Im thinking the timeless child is gonna be the origin/source of either regeneration energy or Akron energy. And the child is split across all timelords or tardises. Or the kid is what is in the void the timelord watch in at graduation

Meeting more women then previously doesnt bother me. I took it more as Chibnall finding a more organic way to include the history he's so interested in sharing. Some lines do but it could just be me being sensitive since they could also be joke and they dont come that often.

The resolution felt a bit quick.

Spoiler:
    This episode began giving off Cybermen vibes, but TBH, I'm glad that isn't what it came to because the whole idea of them independently being come up with over and over and over again has gotten a bit tired.

I thought it was a strong opening, which will hopefully bode well for the rest of the series. Any time they're hinting at messing with lore I get a little anxious, but hopefully they won't do anything too crazy, I've had enough retconning over the years with Gallifrey.

Well...that was an episode.

Spoiler:
    Jack is back and now we have a new "Doctor". Honestly stumped as to how this will all play out, so I'm looking forward to the continuation of the season arc.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information