+ Reply to Thread
Page 332 of 343 FirstFirst ... 232 282 322 330 331 332 333 334 342 ... LastLast
Results 6,621 to 6,640 of 6859

Thread: Doctor Who

  1. #6621

    Default Re: Doctor Who

    While I wholeheartedly loved Capaldi, I still feel like Matt needed one more season and he and Moffat probably should have left together.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

    Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

  2. #6622

    Default Re: Doctor Who

    Quote Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
    While I wholeheartedly loved Capaldi, I still feel like Matt needed one more season and he and Moffat probably should have left together.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Pretty much. I also would have been okay with Moffat on Capaldi's first season and then a switch in showrunners, it'd be nice for one actor to actually get a variety again, and not just Tom Baker.

    Much as I liked Moffatt, and the Matt Smith era is probably going to remain my personal favorite Who era, Moffatt definitely ran out of steam and started repeating himself heavily.

  3. #6623

    Default Re: Doctor Who


  4. #6624

    Default Re: Doctor Who

    The trailer is way better than the season itself. XD

    Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

  5. #6625
    The Album Guy Nobodyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Virginia, US

    Default Re: Doctor Who

    Oh yeah. Tom Baker's last season. Start of the John Nathan-Turner period. Or "weird" period.

    Strangely, I actually did like Meglos.

  6. #6626

  7. #6627

    Default Re: Doctor Who

    I don't care what anyone says, that episode was brilliant.

    Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

  8. #6628
    Kick-Ass Finalis desa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Somewhere

    Default Re: Doctor Who

    RTD would have loved this episode. That seems like his kind of weird.

    I enjoyed the retuning actress and Graham as usual. Interesting how the dad way of precessing grief was not really resolved in a neat bow.



  9. #6629
    Shipmate Lord Starfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The middle of nowhere

    Default Re: Doctor Who

    Oh hey, they actually made an attempt to pronounce the Norwegian characters' names properly. As a Norwegian, the effort is appreciated... even if the result did sound a bit awkward.

  10. #6630
    Shipmate Lord Starfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The middle of nowhere

    Default Re: Doctor Who

    Saw the season finale. It was... okay. Felt more like just another episode rather than the end of the season though, even with the callbacks to previous episodes and them tying up Graham's character arc for the season.

    ...I mean I'll take this over Hell Bent or Journey's End any day, but it does feel rather underwhelming.

  11. #6631

    Default Re: Doctor Who

    Oh. Guess that was the season finale. Didn't think about it until you said it.
    Not the best season I've seen, but I want more. Like how I felt after 12th's first season. The main cast is good, but they don't "pop" yet. A lot of the episode plots don't help. There's good focus on characters but the antagonists are lacking. 13 needs better (interesting/memorable) enemies to bounce off of.

    NNID: jervinnectar

  12. #6632

    Default Re: Doctor Who

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Starfish View Post
    Saw the season finale. It was... okay. Felt more like just another episode rather than the end of the season though, even with the callbacks to previous episodes and them tying up Graham's character arc for the season.

    ...I mean I'll take this over Hell Bent or Journey's End any day, but it does feel rather underwhelming.
    Yeah, it wasn't particularly grand, but neither were a lot of previous season finales, or worse, they were overblown messes, so it's fine. Looking forward to the New Years Special. I hear it's calle "Resolution" so maybe it will be more of a season finale than the season finale.

    Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

  13. #6633
    Kick-Ass Finalis desa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Somewhere

    Default Re: Doctor Who

    It felt like the fourth episode of a second season. The one where a villain you know come back but we are also just having another episode. Didn't feel like a finale but I enjoyed it and considering how little scale the season has been I guess returning villain make for a finale.

    I was much more into the Stenza this time.

    Graham is always great. Probably my favorite chracter of the season. Still don't give a damn about Yaz.

    13th is a fine doctor but I still need her to sell me in intensity. There is that one moment where she makes neuro-blockers that seems like a classic the doctor is solving the pressing problem but her tone make it sounds like she just helping you clean a stain from a shirt. There is no urgency. But I can her growing in a second season.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
    Yeah, it wasn't particularly grand, but neither were a lot of previous season finales, or worse, they were overblown messes, so it's fine. Looking forward to the New Years Special. I hear it's calle "Resolution" so maybe it will be more of a season finale than the season finale.
    Isn't that often the case? They insist on making the regenerations happen in them and 10th farewell to everyone was in it as well.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Starfish View Post
    ...I mean I'll take this over Hell Bent or Journey's End any day, but it does feel rather underwhelming.
    People hate Journey's End? I get End of Time but Journey's end?



  14. #6634
    Shipmate Lord Starfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The middle of nowhere

    Default Re: Doctor Who

    Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    People hate Journey's End? I get End of Time but Journey's end?
    I mean, it copped out of the Doctor's regeneration in a matter that made no sense there and has made just as little sense every time they brought it up since, and resolved the biggest crisis in the show's history with Donna doing technobabble.

    ...That's really about it. I can't even recall the rest of the episode all that well, I just really hate those two elements.


    Anyway... So looking at the title of this video you might just immediately gag, but for the record, this video is a parody of the sort of criticisms that have been thrown against Series 11. It is not actually claiming that Doctor Who is "dead" because it got "too PC" (as if the show hasn't been political since literally day one), it's pretty much just a long and sarcastic response to all the people who actually say that.

  15. #6635
    Kick-Ass Finalis desa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Somewhere

    Default Re: Doctor Who

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Starfish View Post
    Anyway... So looking at the title of this video you might just immediately gag, but for the record, this video is a parody of the sort of criticisms that have been thrown against Series 11. It is not actually claiming that Doctor Who is "dead" because it got "too PC" (as if the show hasn't been political since literally day one), it's pretty much just a long and sarcastic response to all the people who actually say that.
    RTD is gay? I did not know that. I wouldn't guess it from his writing. I guess the soap opera might explain the silly while Moffat comedy background explain the quirky. I enjoy Gatiss ass an actor(Mycroft or in Twice upon a time).

    I don't think this season was that into politics. I mean not that much more than anyone. Moffat defintely had a feminism thing which could be good(I enjoy River and Clara with 12th) or distracting(that episode in Sherlock). RTD made an episode about the freaking devil and made a slave race that the doctor ignored until it was pointed out.

    Chibnall just had some racism and war are bad. And a slight touch of woman had less power in the past. It is pretty standard stuff. But I can see how since it's history and that grounded nature make it feels more educational and political than fun. But then again first season's of Doctor's don't have the best track records and it s a new showrunner learning to make a good version of the show.



  16. #6636
    Shipmate Lord Starfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The middle of nowhere

    Default Re: Doctor Who

    Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    RTD is gay? I did not know that. I wouldn't guess it from his writing. I guess the soap opera might explain the silly while Moffat comedy background explain the quirky. I enjoy Gatiss ass an actor(Mycroft or in Twice upon a time).

    I don't think this season was that into politics. I mean not that much more than anyone. Moffat defintely had a feminism thing which could be good(I enjoy River and Clara with 12th) or distracting(that episode in Sherlock). RTD made an episode about the freaking devil and made a slave race that the doctor ignored until it was pointed out.

    Chibnall just had some racism and war are bad. And a slight touch of woman had less power in the past. It is pretty standard stuff. But I can see how since it's history and that grounded nature make it feels more educational and political than fun. But then again first season's of Doctor's don't have the best track records and it s a new showrunner learning to make a good version of the show.
    Well yes, that was basically the whole point; People have been condemning this series for being too "SJW-pandering" or whatever when nothing they complain about is new. And that's not even getting into how I feel like previous series have been FAR more in-your-face about how progressive they were than this series... Moffat's handling of homosexuals immediately comes to mind. Of course there are valid concerns to be had about how Series 11 was written, like how Yaz felt like an afterthought in pretty much every episode that didn't specifically focus on her, or how Chibnall's scripts were consistently just sort of... okay, (and he very much continued a problem I've had with Moffat, namely him stretching himself far too thin by writing too many episodes himself instead of sticking to less stories and making those few stories really shine) but most of the criticisms I've seen floating around YouTube have just been about the show's supposed "virtue-signaling".

  17. #6637

    Default Re: Doctor Who

    It's the same problem with The latest Star Wars. The small but vocal anti-SJW crowd is so loud and obnoxious that it makes it really hard to just talk about the real issues that actually exist and not their personal hang ups.

    Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

  18. #6638
    Shipmate Lord Starfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The middle of nowhere

    Default Re: Doctor Who

    Sure is quiet here... Anyway, I saw the new year's special the other day. It frustrates me that it's not gonna be on the Series 11 BD-set because it was so much better a finale than the actual season finale was, and it was also better than at least most of the episodes Chibnall wrote for Series 11, tbh. (In general I feel the season got better when we got to the second half that was largely not written by him). But yeah, it felt like it did a better job of tying up some loose ends for the season, the final shot felt more grand and fitting for what will be the last we see of these characters for a year... Oh, and I suppose being the only episode of this new era of the show to feature a classic villain helps too. Not that I mind that Series 11 focused on new concepts, but y'know, you can only go so long with a new Doctor without having them face off against a Dalek... (Not even gonna bother spoilering that because 1: the episode's been out for a month and a half, and 2: the internet was so bad about keeping their mouths shut on that particular twist that I feel it was kind of impossible to miss.)

  19. #6639
    Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Albion

    Default Re: Doctor Who

    The Macra Terror animated recon is out now. I really enjoyed it, they've taken great strides in the animation since the Power of the Daleks release. It's still not perfect, but it's a million miles away from the Reign of Terror animation, and significantly better then Power and Shada. The story itself was very fun too.

  20. #6640

    Default Re: Doctor Who

    I saw a clip of the animation and it definitely looks a lot better.

    Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts