+ Reply to Thread
Page 268 of 335 FirstFirst ... 168 218 258 266 267 268 269 270 278 318 ... LastLast
Results 5,341 to 5,360 of 6700

Thread: Doctor Who

Default Re: Doctor Who

Unfortunately, the Slitheen episodes do set up what's-her-name (the Prime Minister)

Eh, you can just fill in the details. :)

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

I *do* skip the slitheen episodes.

Didn't help the first time through though.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Preview for next week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p025z3ff

lol!
    Spoiler:

It's not what it seems...
    Last edited by CosmicDebris; September 4th, 2014 at 01:00 AM.

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
    Facing consequences, yes, but The heart of that is not him "a dick" and people calling him out on arrogance. That is his reputation for being a hero catching up with him and endangering his life because all of his enemies are obsessed with destroying him; he's now "feared" because he's done so much, mostly good.
    But the Church was not his enemy. Kovarian sect attacked him not because he was hero ruining their plans. They went after him because he was powerful, unpredictable and arrogant enough to be considered dangerous.
    After all, we only look at him from human point of view. For other races his "good" deeds might not seem that good. Not talking about creatures like Daleks, or Angels.

He never really had a choice, it was either that or destruction.
    Still, it was his carelessness that caused it, and he solved all that less than gracefully.

I think you're focusing on the wrong aspects of the story.
    It was before 50th anniversary, and the Doctor was still a destroyer of his own race. There are clear parallels between him and Jex - they are both survivors of horrible war, plagued by things they had to do.

When Doctor finds out, he takes Jex to his judge at gunpoint, while he was in similiar situation himself, and not even once. Sheriff dies exactly because Doctor decided to be judgemental, and this sacrifice was like cold shower. Doctor needs that from time to time, when he get's on his "ancient alien who has right to decide what's right or wrong" horse.

You can see where Kovarian is coming from - being prone to hypocrisy, who changes morals on a whim can't have the power to force those morals on everyone.
    We are okay with that, because he is main character and complex hero is always more interesting than bland whiteknight, but in-universe that must be terrifying.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29068551

So...not sure how they could edit the scene because:

Spoiler:
    Once beheaded the head still talks

Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar

No issues whatsoever with todays ep. Been a while since I've enjoyed an episode this much.

Anyone else catch a glimpse of

Spoiler:
    Troughton as Robin?

I quite liked the episode. Jokes and story worked rather well.
    Spoiler:
    And no dumb Missy build-up!
    Only weird part was Clara falling into that muddy lake and waking up clean & perfectly styled with not a hair out of place. What, did Robin redo her Make-Up while she was out?

Not much of a spoiler, but better safe than sorry:
    Spoiler:
    Are they making a habit of having Game of Thrones actors on the show and immediately kill them off? Ep 1 had Dontos, Ep 2 Dolorous Edd and this one Mace Tyrell, and they all went as villain hype-up. Makes me worried for Charles Dances character...
    "Going against the flow? Just means you're swimming in place. One day you are too tired to paddle, and suddenly you drown. Whole thing was pointless and now you're dead THE END. Now, going with the flow is where it's at - and that's the dandy way to live."
    - Space Dandy

I looked better in Gen V Kazhar's Avatar

For those who are curious about the cut scene :

Spoiler:

edit : About your spoiler, Charles Dance isn't in season 8. Well, he might be but it's not confirmed by any reliable source.

3DS Friend Code : 3222 - 6913 - 3431

A fun episode. Conventional and a bit iffy at times, but fun.

Spoiler:
    So "The Promised Land" is part of the overarching story, eh? Well that addresses one of my complaints about Deep Breath anyway.

I'm still not feeling it.

And I *hate* that I'm not feeling it.

The episode and premise were good. The acting is good. Capaldi is solid in the role, and Jenna's acting far better against him than against Matt as an optimist against a grump (whereas against Matt she had to be fast and clever and witty, and she was only ever that in Asylum and Snowmen, before she was current Clara) and the chemistry is good, the directing is fine, the music and pacing are about the same as ever and grumpy doctor 3 is one of my favorites.... there was absolutely nothing wrong with it at all.

so I just dunno why it's not working for me.

I think it boils down to Tennant or Smith would have been enthused about the whole thing. "Wow, Robin Hood! That's impossible! But interesting!" while Capaldi's reaction is "Bah, Robin Hood. Impossible, what a waste of time, what's the trick." and I'm just not feeling enthusiasm or joy... even when he finally became interested by the robots. And I guess that's what's putting me off. How would Capaldi have handled Dinosaurs on a Spaceship, for instance?

I hope I get used to Capaldi soon, so I can go back and enjoy these more on a second watch. I just find myself missing Matt and imagining how he would have handled the exact same script. And I've never had doctor turn around burn out before... but then when I grew up on the classics I had advance knowledge of all of them just being there I guess, so the switch was always looming. Matt's the first time i've really been with a doctor from the getgo at the start through several years and onto the next guy.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Robby, I am right there with you. Something just hasn't clicked for me this season. I'm not someone who was against an old doctor either. I was quite excited. Hartnell remains my favorite. I do enjoy Capaldi. I love the straight-shooting dark comedy he brings with him too. There is just something missing for me. I feel like I am waiting for that defining "I am the Doctor" moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazhar View Post
    About your spoiler, Charles Dance isn't in season 8. Well, he might be but it's not confirmed by any reliable source.

Where is that rumor even came from? All I could find is McGann quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    You grew up on classic, but Matt was first one who you watched from the start till the very end? Did you drop it somewhere inbetween?

Yeah, pretty much agreed about the new Doctor. On the whole, I'm still enjoying the episodes and I think Capaldi's giving a great performance, but The Doctor himself just seems. He feels like the buzzkill when he should be the buzz.

Well, I'll keep watching and hope that maybe they're building up to something or that they just need a few episodes to get into the right groove with the new Doctor.

Week 1: Doctor is old!
    Week 2: Doctor is evil!
    Week 3: Doctor is boring!
    Week 4: ???

Quote Originally Posted by Warp Predator View Post
    You grew up on classic, but Matt was first one who you watched from the start till the very end? Did you drop it somewhere inbetween?
    Even Tom Baker when being watched at one serial a week is only the doctor for about a year, and Pertwee half a year. So in reruns, no, none of the doctors were a multi year stint. (and as a child even less so when you miss some weeks and it all blurs together) And through the internet you clear through them even faster.

And on the new show I tried watching when it premiered, found the Eccleston episodes really dumb, and wrote the show off as a failed relaunch that I must have just liked because I was a stupid kid... and didn't come back till Tennant was almost finished and I randomly caught Silence in the Library on the sci-fi channel. SO yeah, Matt's the only one I've been with for a legit multi-year stint in all the years I've watched the show.

But yeah. I think Nobodyman nailed it... he feels like the buzzkill instead of the buzz. WHich is fine and a different legitimate direction to go, but... itsn't getting me into the mood and spirit of the show.

I'm still not feeling it.

And I *hate* that I'm not feeling it.

The episode and premise were good. The acting is good. Capaldi is solid in the role, and Jenna's acting far better against him than against Matt as an optimist against a grump (whereas against Matt she had to be fast and clever and witty, and she was only ever that in Asylum and Snowmen, before she was current Clara) and the chemistry is good, the directing is fine, the music and pacing are about the same as ever and grumpy doctor 3 is one of my favorites.... there was absolutely nothing wrong with it at all.

so I just dunno why it's not working for me.

I think it boils down to Tennant or Smith would have been enthused about the whole thing. "Wow, Robin Hood! That's impossible! But interesting!" while Capaldi's reaction is "Bah, Robin Hood. Impossible, what a waste of time, what's the trick." and I'm just not feeling enthusiasm or joy... even when he finally became interested by the robots. And I guess that's what's putting me off. How would Capaldi have handled Dinosaurs on a Spaceship, for instance?

I hope I get used to Capaldi soon, so I can go back and enjoy these more on a second watch. I just find myself missing Matt and imagining how he would have handled the exact same script. And I've never had doctor turn around burn out before... but then when I grew up on the classics I had advance knowledge of all of them just being there I guess, so the switch was always looming. Matt's the first time i've really been with a doctor from the getgo at the start through several years and onto the next guy.
    Imagining Capaldi in Smith's place isn't fair, though. That's taking the good that's already been established and switching the key element. Plus, the stories(in a way) are built around the Doctor, so Capaldi and the dinos were never meant to work anyway. I know you were just kind of saying, but it really isn't a great way to look at it.
    Praise our king, First fist of the Sea, DonMarimo DoBuggino exploring Bonesbeard.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    If someone seriously claimed that Whitebeard was running a vibrator business as his second job you'd ignore him as a troll.
    3DS FC: 2406-5148-3376

Quote Originally Posted by krule274 View Post
    Imagining Capaldi in Smith's place isn't fair, though. That's taking the good that's already been established and switching the key element.
    Yeah, and I'm really missing that key element.

Yeah, and I'm really missing that key element.
    I feel you, I'm enjoying Capaldi, but I'm not entirely hooked yet. But I have high hopes that I will.

To be honest, all the episodes this season just sound so damn interesting. Trees reclaiming the Earth, the Orient, and Listen looks cool for next week. I think I'll like him more as we see more, like I said: I have high hopes.
    Praise our king, First fist of the Sea, DonMarimo DoBuggino exploring Bonesbeard.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    If someone seriously claimed that Whitebeard was running a vibrator business as his second job you'd ignore him as a troll.
    3DS FC: 2406-5148-3376

Oh, ok. I was wondering mostly about Tennant.

I found out about DW in 2006, when series 1 was shown here, and after that I went to download series 2 which was on School Reunion at that moment, I think.
    So, Tennant was first current Doctor for me, and I watched every episode with some kind of childish glee. Although I was younger and less cynical.
    Then it was Matt time, and at the same time Classic and Books (shame about Big Finish, I still can't enjoy them). And I watched most episodes with Matt twice, and enjoyed it, and he was instantly the Doctor for me. But something was gone. That "hell yeah, this is epic! best thing ever 10/10!" feeling.

Now it's back, at least for me. Can't say that I disliked Matt or he didn't click with me, he did without a doubt. But Capaldi...is another level of epic. You'll get into it, once you stop seeing Matt. Which should happen eventually (but as rumors say, around episode 7).

About Doctor's being a buzzkill - he wanted to see Tumescent Arrows of the Half-Light, which sounds infinitely more interesting than "adventure in England #5674".
    He is just not that excited with Earth anymore, and I don't remember people complaining about Fourth wearing long face for half a serial when he had to stay put and work with UNIT.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information