+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Studio Ghibli thread

Default Re: Official Studio Ghibli Thread

Quote Originally Posted by RobbyBevard View Post
    In the plain ol' media section, actually.
    I am a failure at determining where people post things.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    I am a failure at determining where people post things.
    Actually it got moved before it got merged. It was in both places.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Actually it got moved before it got merged. It was in both places.
    Then whoever moved it there was the one who made the epic fail.

Also, I'm a failure at determining where things originate.

Also, I'm a failure at double-checking and not questioning authority.

Indiscriminate Grappler Gokuyuske's Avatar

So this doesn't exactly belong here, but who here has watched Future Boy Conan? What did you think? I'm thinking about giving it a try.

I just watched Tales from Earthsea, and I can say with certainty that it is the worst Ghibli movie. Goro Miyazaki is 100 years too young to take over his father's work.

The movie had like 3 different plots going on, one about the troubled prince and royal intrigue, another about the sinful city of Port Town and the slave trade, drugs, etc, and how the land was losing all of its life, and another about the evil wizard stealing the girl and the heroes have to save her and the land.

Of these three, the first gets completely ignored, the second it dwelled on far too long for the lack of resolution it gets, and the last is concluded well but has little build up.

Moreover, this is a terrible adaptation of the Earthsea books. They took things from a few stories, as I thought they would, but then somehow got them wrong. It's Ged with the shadow, not the prince. Who's true name reveals him as a king in one of the later books. With that dragon girl thrown in, and also the girl from the tombs of Atuan. An nearly nothing is explained.

Also, the villain was done poorly. He had a very androgynous look, but a deep, soft, whispery voice. didn't match at all. If he has been just a bit more masculine, or bad a bit more nasally voice, it would've been fine. And his henchman, voiced by Cheech Marin, was doing his damnedest to be like the lieutenant of the Tolmekians, but he was too busy twirling his mustache and kicking the dog to conjure up any sort of charm.

The prince was intensely unlikable, and the justification of him making inexplicable choices and doing things for no reason was "the shadow of fear came into his heart" or some bullshit. And that's another thing: events happen, people do thing, for no reason. They just happen, and are never touched on again.

At least Therru and Tenar were voiced well, and of course the animation, artwork, and music was top-notch. The few scenes with dragons in them were breathtaking, and there were a couple of really neat visuals. But, I would have likes to spend more time on them. Giant abandoned boats in the desert. Bones inside. Why? We won't know, time to move the plot along!

The last half hour, once the action started, was pretty good, but by that time I didn't even care.

I can see why Disney was in no rush to get this one out in America.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Bad_Lith View Post
    Also, the villain was done poorly. He had a very androgynous look, but a deep, soft, whispery voice. didn't match at all. If he has been just a bit more masculine, or bad a bit more nasally voice, it would've been fine. And his henchman, voiced by Cheech Marin, was doing his damnedest to be like the lieutenant of the Tolmekians, but he was too busy twirling his mustache and kicking the dog to conjure up any sort of charm.
    Say what you will about the movie, it was a miss, and not a good adaptation of Earthsea... but don't hold the DUB against it. That seems a bit unfair.

It DID have ghibli production values behind it, so it LOOKED nice, at least. And I hadn't read any of the Earthsea books before seeing the movie, so the differences didn't bother me.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

So guys, a question.

A couple of days ago my folks went to watch Arrietty (apparently some, hrrr, dubbed version), and even though I had seen some neat, pretty pictures beforehand, I decided not to go with them. Mostly because I knew it wasn't made by Miyazaki himself, but also due to having read some really harsh reviews that criticized the film a lot. But now I'm feeling slightly stupid and regretful for not going. The question is, should I have? Is it any good, or more importantly, worth watching?

I'll probably go search for the DVD version as soon as it's shipped to the video rentals anyway, but I'd like to know what to expect.
    In Loving Memory of Toraish, Rex Avium: http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=40786 | 3DS Friend Code: 3196-4274-7836

Doesn't matter if its Miyazaki himself or not. If you can see a Ghibli film on the big screen, do. The details are always amazing.

it was good. i actually didn't know miyazaki didn't have a hand in it.

I heard this new Up From The Poppy Hill Ghibli movie by Goro Miyazaki was really good!

Say what you will about the movie, it was a miss, and not a good adaptation of Earthsea... but don't hold the DUB against it. That seems a bit unfair.

It DID have ghibli production values behind it, so it LOOKED nice, at least. And I hadn't read any of the Earthsea books before seeing the movie, so the differences didn't bother me.
    Nice animation, but SO BORING

Went and saw Secret World of Arrietty today. Pretty much agree with what almost everyone else has said, that it's a good movie, but it could have been so much more, and it's not among Ghibli's best.

It's got awesome animation as always, a strong female lead, a few classic Ghibli moments, but while it does have some pretty creative ideas and designs, it doesn't really go anywhere beyond that. The main problem with this movie is that it doesn't take any risks. Everything is relatively straightforward and simple and plays out almost exactly how you expect. This is really disappointing coming from a studio famous for its insanely brilliant animation, imaginative designs, and captivating stories.

A few other things that bugged me:
    -Sean was a really underdeveloped and blase character, which is a shame considering he could've been the main character in that he was the normal kid from the outside looking in.
    -This was not the greatest dub I've ever heard. The characters voices all fit for the most part (except for Sean's, who sounds a little too mature), but sometimes the lines are read too fast or come off as just very awkward.
    -Where the heck did Arrietty's dad go in the third act?
    -Hara is dumb. Instead of trying to capture the other the Borrowers, which, btw, she didn't even know for sure existed, why didn't she just immediately call the press or a scientific investigator as soon as she had captured Arrietty's mom?
    -Actually, the entire third act was pretty disappointing, with Hara trying to prove the existence of Borrowers only to have them swept out from under her nose (complete with her looking crazy in front the exterminators). This is a trope that's been done to death and it's way beneath Ghibli.
    -Mina the cat is suddenly being okay with Arrietty, rather than trying to maul her like she'd done every other time they met. Maybe because Arrietty looked stared at her? Whatever. That was weird.

Anyway, I've said a lot of negative things about it, but I just want to clarify that this is still not a bad movie and is definitely worth a watch. I must admit though that it is hard for me to recommend seeing it in theaters, even if you're a Ghibli fan. If you really really wanna see it, then check it out. If you're not that excited or are kind of indifferent about it, then yeah, definitely wait to see it on DVD/Netflix/TV.

Ghibli movies are pure magic. They're so charming, fascinating, inspiring. I love that they're all still hand-drawn and not CGI-animated.

I can't say which one is my favourite, they're all just great.
    Usually I don't like Slice of Life stories that much, but Kiki and Totoro are so charming and nostalgic that they always make me smile and feel happy.
    I also like that there's no strict "good - evil" in the movies.

Jeez, I could fangirl forever...
    Last edited by Luffyko; March 1st, 2012 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Luffyko View Post
    Ghibli movies are pure magic. They're so charming, fascinating, inspiring. I love that they're all still hand-drawn and not CGI-animated.

I can't say which one is my favourite, they're all just great.
    Usually I don't like Slice of Life stories that much, but Kiki and Totoro are so charming and nostalgic that they always make me smile and feel happy.

Jeez, I could fangirl forever...
    hey. i never thought of that. cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Luffyko View Post
    Except in Nausicaa, Cagliostro, Laputa, Porco Rosso, Mononoke. They all have definitive badguys. Though I suppose Proco Rosso and Mononoke are debatable to some degree.

Except in Nausicaa, Cagliostro, Laputa, Porco Rosso, Mononoke. They all have definitive badguys. Though I suppose Proco Rosso and Mononoke are debatable to some degree.
    ya. I'd debate that. I see your point though.

This might not be the right thread for this, but does anyone know if Miyazaki/Takahata's Anne of Green Gables ever got an American release? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

This is apparently an old post, but might as well throw in my two bits on this.

Laputa and Cagliostro, yes.

In Mononoke, Lady Eboshi is pretty clearly drawn as a sympathetic figure. She's at war with the natural world, but really, that natural world is cruel and trying to exterminate her at the same time. Plus, it's shown that the people of Irontown are fiercely loyal to her, especially the prostitutes and lepers that she takes in.

In Nausicaa, Kushana is very similar. Her own troops are fiercely loyal to her--and she to them--and she's portrayed as a rather ruthless warlord trying to survive in a hostile environment. She's certainly shades towards bad-guy more than Eboshi, but as the original poster was pointing out, it's not a case of a good/evil duality. This is even more so in the manga, but I'll leave that off-limits for this discussion

Porco Rosso doesn't really even have a "bad guy," as such; Curtis is more of a rival than an enemy, especially considering the way the movie concludes.

So are there antagonists and protagonists? Sure. But I agree with Luffyko that one of the appeals of Miyazaki is that his movies only rarely dip into a clear good vs. evil conflict. For most of his movies, the protagonists and antagonists share more than they differ.

Quote Originally Posted by tatermoog View Post
    In Mononoke, Lady Eboshi is pretty clearly drawn as a sympathetic figure. She's at war with the natural world, but really, that natural world is cruel and trying to exterminate her at the same time. Plus, it's shown that the people of Irontown are fiercely loyal to her, especially the prostitutes and lepers that she takes in.
    He could have possibly been referring to Jigo, though I would still agree that Princess Mononoke doesn't have an actual villain.
    Legend of the Strongest Onani Master Kurosawa

Quote Originally Posted by Hattori View Post
    He could have possibly been referring to Jigo, though I would still agree that Princess Mononoke doesn't have an actual villain.
    That's not fair, I completely forgot Jigo existed!

But yes, he is much closer to an evil--or at least, completely selfishly motivated--villain.

Oh sure, rebuttal something I said 3 months ago. I don't even know what I was trying to say this far from it. Probably referring to clear antagonists with selfish goals that oppose the main lead.

Yes, Eboshi cares for the women and the lepers and just wants to create a better home away from society... but she is going around slaughtering and deforesting to do it, is quite willing to kill the leads and knowingly work for a corrupt emporer, is selfish, and generally doesn't care who stands in her way. Sympathetic and well developed and likeable she may be, but she's definitely a major source of problems. More shades of grey than typical black and white conflict, but its not a movie without a villain either.

A "definitive antagonist with a nasty streak" against a "pure and innocent heroic protagonist" might be more accurate. But hey, I had the caveat that Porco and Mononoke were arguable. Definitely more villainy than seen in Totoro or Kiki.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information