+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32

Thread: Studio Ghibli thread

Default Re: Studio Ghibli thread

Having watched it for the first time earlier this year: Kiki is EXTREMELY underrated, and easily in my top 3 Miyaziki films; as Chihiro and Laputa had done before, it connected to me on an profoundly emotional level. Its just so damn likeable! Sure it doesn't have much story or even explicitly drawn character arcs, but the atmosphere, the city, the characters, THE MUSIC was just sooooooooo engrossing. When a movie can transfix me with extended panning shots of a painting, and I can get teary eyed at a GODDAMN CAKE it does something amazingly right.

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Default Re: Studio Ghibli thread

Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    Having watched it for the first time earlier this year: Kiki is EXTREMELY underrated, and easily in my top 3 Miyaziki films; as Chihiro and Laputa had done before, it connected to me on an profoundly emotional level. Its just so damn likeable! Sure it doesn't have much story or even explicitly drawn character arcs, but the atmosphere, the city, the characters, THE MUSIC was just sooooooooo engrossing. When a movie can transfix me with extended panning shots of a painting, and I can get teary eyed at a GODDAMN CAKE it does something amazingly right.
    I've been wanting to watch the movie for the longest time, but the Hungry Days Cup Noodle commercial and your comment convinced me to finally stop being lazy and watch it. I just finished and I agree. I like the slice of life concept of following a delivery person, and some of the ordinary citizens and landscape shots were quite endearing. I didn't know that I could get so into talking with grannies and helping them bake a pie lol. I think my only gripe is Kiki being such a jerk towards Tombo for half the movie and never feels sorry about it (not that I find Tombo's constant attempts to get her attention when she clearly doesn't like him to be charming after a while either). I know she's a kid, but seeing how she instantly gets along with everybody else without a fuss except him is jarring.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information