+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Studio Ghibli thread

Default Re: Official Miyazaki Movie Discussion!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Bad_Lith View Post
    I know, I know. "mononoke so low!?" See, I just didn't like the whole last 20 minutes. There is this dubious "god" who gets his head shot off, and then can't frigging control himself and starts killing everything, then they give him his goddamn head back, and then he still dies, or at least disappears, and then it starts undoing the damage his rampage caused.
    The entire movie was about revenge, forgiveness, and Ashitaka being the man in the middle trying to be neutral and find answers. From the very opening with the insane boar god, Ashitaka's curse, and the later boar, and the deer god *also* going mad... to lady Eboshi and San trying to constantly kill each other... to Moro wanting to save her last bit of energy for killing Eboshi and instead using it to save San.

Returning the deer's head wasn't to save its life, but to calm its death rage and prevent it from cursing everything in death.

Revenge and forgiveness, that was the theme throughout the movie. Technology versus nature was heavily in there too, but it wasn't the only message. If it was, everyone in the village would have been evil, instead most of them are sympathetic, likeable and have many redeeming qualities, including the "villain" Lady Eboshi who takes in helpless women and soothes the lepers.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Default Re: Official Studio Ghibli Thread

No, actually I'm wondering why Kiki is on the bottom let alone low.

I will just throw a list together, and Ill have all of the studio ghibli, so I wont have to do another one.
    1. Pom Poko, for some reason I adore this movie, its offbeat storytelling, the character somehow so distant, the environmental message (it has probably never been as facegrabbing as in this movie but it somehow fits) and just how realistic it is. The move can as well be transferred to many places where people are fighting to hold on to their heritage or land.
    2. Porco Rosso
    3. Kiki
    4. Whisper of the heart
    5. Totoro
    6. Spirited away
    7. Princess Monohoke.
    8. Fireflies
    9. Laputa
    10. Only yesterday
    11. Nausicaa
    12. Ponyo
    13. Yamadas
    14. Howls moving castle

I just put my views for the first as of now, Ill edit the rest, very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    No, actually I'm wondering why Kiki is on the bottom let alone low.
    well... man, it feels bad for me to have ANY ghibli movie on the bottom, because the difference in my opinion of them after the first 5 or so is pretty minuscule. I love Kiki, but I haven't seen it in a while. So that's part of it.

but comparing it to the others, it doesn't have the fantastic visuals that Spirited Away, Howl, Nausicaa, and Laputa have. It doesn't have (as many) exciting action scenes as Porco Rosso, Cagliostro, or Mononoke. And it doesn't capture the essence of childhood as well as Totoro.

But thinking about it, I really should've put it ahead of Ponyo. *goes to edit*

@robby - that's a way of thinking about it that I guess I never really considered. It always seemed implied to me that they were trying to save to god of the forest, not merely trying to calm its death throes.

It also bugged me how the forest god's wrath was killing literally everything, not just the "bad men". I would have expected it to do a cleansing, like in Laputa, but instead it was just destroying everything, including the forest it supposedly protected.

Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar

Arrietty's come out in the uk, so went to see it in the cinema today - it's a pretty fun film. Haru cracked me up.

I always get annoyed how little praise half of the ghibli films get.

Some of the more obscure/less commercial titles have such truly brilliant moments , rarely seen in animation, or any other kind of production for that matter. Porco Rosso is an obvious example of how great a film can truly be just by adding a touch of magic to a relatively simple film.

Side note: I should really catch up on his more recent works. Heck I still haven't even seen Ponyo for some unfathomable reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkstorm View Post
    Arrietty's come out in the uk, so went to see it in the cinema today - it's a pretty fun film. Haru cracked me up.
    Really wanted to see it too but a film studies student who is evaluating Miyazaki's work got word Odeon are doing limited UK Release only in Machester, Norwich and London because it's 'not big enough for release' but that view isn't not surprising. Not here anyway. I really like that Saoirse Ronan is in it as well. My local University's anime-y theatre are gonna show it sometime though, so here's hoping.

Anyway I just saw Kiki for the first time about a week ago and I really loved it. But also Smudge, Porco has been on my list for a while now. I'll need to keep an eye out for DVDs when I get into town soon. Or maybe TV screenings.
    Quote Originally Posted by sanji499 View Post
    I wonder what was Bale's reaction when the stunt double broke the imax camera?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    In the United States we don't have much manga around, specifically One Piece, and mainly the newer chapters - Jan 2011

In the sea of blarrrrrgh SakugaSaga's Avatar

also, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the wonderful music, yet. Every film has a great score, but I think Spirited Away had the best, which is partially what pushes it to the front of my list.
    You can thank Joe Hisaishi for the wonderful music that he composes for these films. That man is simply amazing.

CÚcile Corbel composed the music for Anrietty. Haven't seen the movie or listened to the OST yet, but I heard that the music is pretty good.

I'd have to mention that Grave of the Fireflies, was the most, tear-jerking movie I have ever seen. I just couldn't stop crying after every 10 minutes. Kudos to you, Isao Takahata, for making me bawl my eyes out.

I wonder, has anybody else seen "On Your Mark"? It's a music video that was directed by Hayao Miyazaki and animated by the same studio.

"Whaddya mean we're all out of fish 'n chips?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Flux View Post
    Really wanted to see it too but a film studies student who is evaluating Miyazaki's work got word Odeon are doing limited UK Release only in Machester, Norwich and London because it's 'not big enough for release' but that view isn't not surprising. Not here anyway. I really like that Saoirse Ronan is in it as well. My local University's anime-y theatre are gonna show it sometime though, so here's hoping.

Anyway I just saw Kiki for the first time about a week ago and I really loved it. But also Smudge, Porco has been on my list for a while now. I'll need to keep an eye out for DVDs when I get into town soon. Or maybe TV screenings.
    You're in luck with Porco Rosso. Assuming that by living in the UK you have Film4, it's actually showing on Friday at 2.50pm I believe. So there's your chance, I recommend it.
    PSN Username: Scoogs50

ghibli movies are truly beautiful. only saw bits here and there of some films (there was like a ghibli week on tv months ago), saw some documentaries about the company and all that stuff.
    really good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Oga Simpson View Post
    You're in luck with Porco Rosso. Assuming that by living in the UK you have Film4, it's actually showing on Friday at 2.50pm I believe. So there's your chance, I recommend it.
    Aw man brilliant. That was where I saw Kiki! I wonder if they're doing a Ghibli special or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by sanji499 View Post
    I wonder what was Bale's reaction when the stunt double broke the imax camera?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    In the United States we don't have much manga around, specifically One Piece, and mainly the newer chapters - Jan 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Flux View Post
    Aw man brilliant. That was where I saw Kiki! I wonder if they're doing a Ghibli special or something.
    Every now and then they seem to show one Studio Ghibli movie a week for a month or so. Sometimes they show a normal anime movie, Metropolis was on a couple of days ago. Kind of random but I'm not gonna complain.
    PSN Username: Scoogs50

While Japanese gamers have been expecting the PlayStation 3 release of the Level-5 and Studio Ghibli role-playing game collaboration known as Ninokuni for over a year, their Western counterparts have had no such certainty. English-speaking RPG fans and Studio Ghibli enthusiasts alike can now breathe a sigh of relief, as Ninokuni: Shiroki Seihai no Joou (subtitled "Queen of the White Ashes") for the PS3 has been confirmed for a North American debut in early 2012.

Hidden:
    During a Sony Computer Entertainment Asia press conference near Tokyo Game Show 2011's venue, Level-5 president Akihiro Hino today mentioned during an interview panel that an English version of the game is in production and confirmed its release window. This PS3 version of the game starts off the same as the DS version of the same name, but the story is told differently after the game's midpoint. According to Hino, the PS3 will have additional story content that will pick up where the DS version ended.

The game will also be launched in Asian markets in Japanese. Level-5 hasn't made plans for a Chinese-text version, but Hino said that if there is a huge demand for it, his company will consider it. The game will also feature downloadable content postrelease, but Hino can't make an official announcement about it until a later date.

In the game, players control Oliver, a 13-year-old boy who is transported into the world called Ninokuni, which is a parallel reality of his own world. He is on a quest to revive his recently deceased mother and is accompanied by a male fairy called Shizuku.
    Well, I may finally have to hunker down and buy a PS3. It did just have a price drop after all...

Been wanting this for a WHILE, the first trailers were what, 2 years ago?
    Last edited by Robby; September 18th, 2011 at 12:41 AM.

And just for comparison, the Japanese poster art.

Last edited by Robby; October 18th, 2011 at 10:15 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

It also bugged me how the forest god's wrath was killing literally everything, not just the "bad men". I would have expected it to do a cleansing, like in Laputa, but instead it was just destroying everything, including the forest it supposedly protected.
    Yeah, I understand that the moral ambiguity and absurdity can make many people feel uneasy, but that is the movie's charm to me. Nature is represented as a mysterious, scary force. The animals' side are just as complicated and conflicted as their human counterpart. Ashitaka got cursed for trying to save his people. Isn't that absurd? The Forest Spirit lost its head and became a mindless god of death destroying everything including the forest it treasured. Isn't that absurd? "I think that is similar to the lives of people today. I think this is a very absurd thing that is part of life itself" (Miyazaki).

I have just watched Porco Rosso and I loved it. The animation and style of the movie were awesome. It is sad, nostalgic and exciting.

Maine, which is an awesome state in my opinion.

Default New Studio Ghibli Film: The Secret World of Arrietty (Co-Written by Hayato Miyazaki)

Didn't see anyone post this yet, so...

http://thepeoplesmovies.com/2011/10/26776/

Spoiler:

I really love Hayato Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli's work. This one seems to be based off the Borrowers novel.

Default Re: New Studio Ghibli Film: The Secret World of Arrietty (Co-Written by Hayato Miyaza

Shouldn't this be in the anime forum?
    Complicating things since 2009.

Wait, so this guy started a thread about a Ghibli film in the Western Animation section? That is so much fail I can't even...

He didn't even spell "Hayao" right.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    Wait, so this guy started a thread about a Ghibli film in the Western Animation section? That is so much fail I can't even...
    In the plain ol' media section, actually.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information