+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Studio Ghibli thread

Default Re: Official Miyazaki Movie Discussion!!!

Quote Originally Posted by taboo
    ^ xD I know~ I was just watching it actually. Damn, what an amazing movie.

You know, something I've noticed about Miyazaki films is that they usually have a female main character. I wonder if this is on purpose? It's interesting because over here we have an overuse of male main characters in movies. Though I wouldn't put it past them to do it on purpose. I can see how having a female character in the lead role would change a viewers opinion of said character.

When they were showing a month of Miyazaki on TCM, they made a comment as to why almost all of his movies have a femal lead. I can't remember why though.

Anyone else excited for the newest studio Ghibli film to come out?

image credit to Fleur. <3

DA LJ twitter

wow, there's a new one? yay!

oh, i recently saw the Cat Returns.... i LOVED that movie so much! it was absolutely wonderful! great voice cast too....

also, i watched My Neighbors, The Yamadas... that is an interesting movie... but i'd recommend watching it when you're not tired... it can get a little long winded. but i like the simple, storyboard-like animation.... actually, its more like a moving comic strip.

Reverse the polarity! Senshi Mizaka's Avatar

Believe it or not, My Neighbors the Yamadas is actually one of my favorite non-Miyazaki, Studio Ghibli movies. That, and The Cat Returns are probably my favorites. Pom Poko's a great one, too.
    Rappin' Chopper:

"Yo; I was a reindeer livin' out in 'da snow! But then this old geeza' doctor brought me into his home! After healin' my wounds, I felt real phat. Then, old docta' Hiruk gave me this blingin' hat! My family beat me, shunt me, but it's all tight. Because I'm doin' my doctor remedies all night. I look like freak with my Human Human fruit. But now I'm with some gangsta' pirates who like to steal loot! All the girls like my blue nose. Yeah; it's the way that I get the *Record scratching*. Usopp's the guy with all 'da glory. He's my main man with all his tight stories. Zolo's Santoryu skills are on ice. You betta' watch out, or you gonna get sliced! Sanji's the cook servin' up the main dish. Don't mess with him, unless that's your wish. Luffy's 'da captain with the straw hat! His Gum Gum skills are real real tight. Vivi's the princess of Alabasta. Now we gotta head there, and we betta' do it faster!"

I finally saw spirited away a few months ago and I thought it was strange at first..but overall it was a great film!
    <Avi Drawing Credit to PirateNeko
    My DeviantArt:http://mediafan658.deviantart.com/
    My FC is 3308-4620-6155

Here's the order of how much I liked each one.

From best to worst (IMO):

Spirited Away
    My Neighbor Totoro
    Castle of Cagliostro
    Nausicaa
    Castle in the Sky
    Kiki's Delivery Service
    Howl's Moving Castle
    Princess Mononoke
    Porco Rosso
    Rappin' Chopper:

"Yo; I was a reindeer livin' out in 'da snow! But then this old geeza' doctor brought me into his home! After healin' my wounds, I felt real phat. Then, old docta' Hiruk gave me this blingin' hat! My family beat me, shunt me, but it's all tight. Because I'm doin' my doctor remedies all night. I look like freak with my Human Human fruit. But now I'm with some gangsta' pirates who like to steal loot! All the girls like my blue nose. Yeah; it's the way that I get the *Record scratching*. Usopp's the guy with all 'da glory. He's my main man with all his tight stories. Zolo's Santoryu skills are on ice. You betta' watch out, or you gonna get sliced! Sanji's the cook servin' up the main dish. Don't mess with him, unless that's your wish. Luffy's 'da captain with the straw hat! His Gum Gum skills are real real tight. Vivi's the princess of Alabasta. Now we gotta head there, and we betta' do it faster!"

Laputa: Castle in the Sky is by far my favorite Miyazaki film, and definitely one of my favorite movies period. Who cares if he didn't try to pull the whole "bad guy is a good guy in the right circumstances" thing he usually does, it was still epic. Totoro probably comes after that, because as a kid my parents bought the VHS with the Fox dub and so I grew up watching it... over and over again.

As far as dubs go, I think Howl's had the best Disney dub, or Porco Rosso. I'm also fond of the original Totoro dub, but I'm probably jaded since I've watched it so many times. Funny, Laputa and Totoro are my two favorites and they have my two least favorite Disney dubs...

Favorite movies in order out of the ones I've seen:

Laputa: Castle in the Sky
    My Neighbor Totoro
    Porco Rosso
    Whisper of the Heart (he didn't direct, but he did write it, so I guess it counts?)
    Princess Mononoke
    Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
    Howl's Moving Castle
    Spirited Away

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by Senshi Mizaka View Post
    Here's the order of how much I liked each one.

From best to worst (IMO):

Spirited Away
    My Neighbor Totoro
    Castle of Cagliostro
    Nausicaa
    Castle in the Sky
    Kiki's Delivery Service
    Howl's Moving Castle
    Princess Mononoke
    Porco Rosso
    Howl's Moving Castle before Princess Mononoke? And for that matter, everything before Princess Mononoke? Why didn't you like it?

It's not that I didn't like it, it was just one of my least favorites. Maybe I should have put "Favorite to least favorite" to avoid confusion. I love all Miyazaki movies. Maybe it's because I haven't seen it it years.
    Rappin' Chopper:

Bumpin' dis, I'm doing a marathon of these right now since most of them I saw eons ago and frankly think I don't really know what the hell I'm talking about. Here's what we're at so far.

1. Nausicaa Movie (C-): Sorry, this one is both dated and suffers dramatically by comparison to the manga. I can't take it seriously in the first place. The worst part is Kushana, it's bad enough that she's such a weak comparison to the manga her, but her character here is dumb to begin with. I mean what the fuck? She had a grudge against bugs?? Nauiscaa herself is boring as well, coming off like what dingleberrys like TLS paint her as in the comic. She's too perfect and innocent. Where's the Nausicaa that commands the God Warrior to murder an organic structure god thing after having a last supper with her worm handler disciples who she sort of lies to in telling them to pass down her messiah like wisdom of dooming the human race to certain extinction to avoid spiraling down the path of insane hubristic self-mutation. Also Namulith is not in it lol. Frankly they aren't even related since they share virtually different everything but appearance.

2. Laputa (C+): Well what was I supposed to feel about this one exactly? I felt like I'd seen it a hundred times, plus the male lead was pointless. Seriously, the kid was patched in I swear. When I was so impressed that Asbel in the Nausicaa manga ended up being tertiary, it was because he damn well was tertiary and I was glad he didn't become de facto action kid which so many writers can't help but throw in. And well they damned did it here. Plus the plot was mediocre, and it was lacking in the genuine Miyazaki magic as opposed to the sort of fantasy you can see just about anywhere ever. The villain sucked also. The quiet moments when they first arrived at the castle were cool though, every time I saw the lone robot walking around caretaking for a dead human civilization I was like "that looks like a better movie", and it was, it was called Wall-E. Overall it felt like a practice round, and still felt too much like a side project from Miyazaki's manga of Nausicaa.

3. Totoro (A): Absolutely amazing. This is being a kid in a nutshell. I loved how it didn't feel the need to force in a Hollywood plot (which is what made Laputa so....ehhh) for no reason and just let itself be a bunch of magical slice of life scenes. It had crazy theraputic qualities to it as well that I can't quite explain. It reminded me of a sweeter stranger Calvin and Hobbes kind of. And it felt like a real self force, the last two felt like the product of a guy currently engrossed in an epic comic making side things with some basing in that comic. Here you can tell Miyazaki really wanted to make this movie, and it had nothing to do with Nausicaa at all. I can't believe people get fussy about this one "NOT HAVIN A PLOT!!!", way to miss the point and be such a slave to absolute structure.

4. Kiki's Delivery Service (A): Fucking great. The only complaint I had at all was the too abrupt ending. Otherwise this was again...magic! In a lot of the same ways as Totoro, except this one had much more of an emotional plot to it. It was just so...simple. Ghibli is also a Grade A sound design studio, that much is clear. I really want more of Kiki's adventures. This had that same relaxing psuedo theraputic feelings as Totoro.

5. Porco Rosso (???)

6. Princess Mononoke (???)

7. Spirited Away (B+): This movie would have been A material if it had had the balls to avoid pointless melodrama and a sort of awkward meta-plot, not that those aspects are bad, in fact they're good! But they weren't better than the simple whimsy that otherwise was occuring. Otherwise it's a visual feast with cool characters. I had more fun just watching them inhabit and go about their business in the environment, didn't really need the strange plot with the twin sister witches.

8. Howl's Moving Castle (B): Sort of the same scenario, the fault here is simply that it felt like several different movies were going on. The whole war thing was both too interesting, but also too pointless. Better that it had focused almost entirely on the relationship and Castle life, which was mostly charming btw.

9. Ponyo (???):
    Last edited by Monkey King; July 10th, 2011 at 12:27 AM.

Ah, Miyazaki movies. I've seen so many of them, and I have yet to be disappointed (though I still need to see Kiki's Delivery Service and Howl's Moving Castle).

Nausicaa: I'll agree with you, Zeph, that it did seem pretty weak and rough around the edges, especially compared to his other works, but I initially just chocked that up to this being due to a lack of experience as this some of his early work. Of course, I haven't read the manga so I can't compare the two.

Laputa: Yeah, also a little weak compared to his other stuff, but still a lot of fun.

Totoro: Fucking A. Yes.

Porco Rosso: It was pretty good, I guess. I honestly don't remember a whole lot from it.

Princess Mononoke: My personal favorite. I fucking love this movie. Brilliant imagination, with stupendous animation to complement it, a great cast and a subtle environmentalism theme, I just can't believe I haven't rewatched it since I first saw it (even though the ending irked me a bit, but I guess it's just the romantic in me).

Spirited Away: I'll agree that, while this movie is great, it's not really his best work and thus I feel is a bit overrated. It's like Miyazaki just indulged his imagination and came up with as many creature designs as he could, but it got a little old once the movie took one too many loopy turns.

Ponyo: Great movie. Again, not his best, but this was actually the first Miyazaki movie I saw in theaters. Honestly, as imaginative as Miyazaki is with his fantastical designs and creations, he's equally good at depicting characters that are just so endearing and human.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    Of course, I haven't read the manga so I can't compare the two.
    Well what are you waiting for???

I only really found out specifically about Miyazaki as a person something like half a year ago. My older anime/manga fan friend explained who he was and his contribution to anime. I got straight into the films, and now respect him so much. I love how he utilises a lot of his recurring themes in each of his films - especially since they represent things dear to his heart.

My favourite is Howl's Moving Castle, but maybe Ponyo - not sure. I really enjoyed Spirited Away as well. I've seen a lot of Princess Mononoke but things always come up preventing me watching it in one whole sitting. Same for Totoro - though I found it a bit uninteresting, but I wasn't really paying full attention if you get what I mean so... I liked Castle of Cagliostro too. I think maybe Porco Rosso will be my next, or Nausicaa.

I thought this was pretty cool :

"There is a rumour that when Harvey Weinstein was charged with handling the US release of Princess Mononoke, Miyazaki sent him a samurai sword in the post. Attached to the blade was a stark message: 'No cuts.' / The director chortles. "Actually, my producer did that. Although I did go to New York to meet this man, this Harvey Weinstein, and I was bombarded with this aggressive attack, all these demands for cuts." He smiles. "I defeated him.""
    Last edited by Flux; July 10th, 2011 at 02:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sanji499 View Post
    I wonder what was Bale's reaction when the stunt double broke the imax camera?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    In the United States we don't have much manga around, specifically One Piece, and mainly the newer chapters - Jan 2011

Miyazaki is still god of animation.

Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar

The Castle of Cagliostro is still my favourite Miyazaki movie. When I watched it as a kid I absolutely loved it. I subsequently greatly anticipated anything else lupin related, but it was never quite as good again - didn't really get that a series could have different directors back then.

Away from the main story, which was fantastic, one of the things I really liked about was was the movement of the characters - lupin's jump, the assassins....not sure how much that's Otsuka's influence or Miyazaki's though. Then there's the car chase sequence, the walk through the old palace, the best zenigata outing...really my favourite animated movie overall.

I was actually considering making a thread dedicated to this a while back, hadn't realized there was one that existed from the bygone eons.

Castle of Cagliostro and Princess Mononoke are two of my favorite films ever. Not just animated, but films, period. I could go on about either of them for days.

Beyond that? The technical skill brought to every Ghibli film is unassailable, though your mileage will vary on any given story. Much like Pixar in that regard, they're ALL good, but there's going to be some you just don't don't care for and some you love and its going to roll differently from person to person.

Personally I was really bored by Totoro, Kiki and Spirited Away... The slice of life kid wandering around thing just never really clicked for me, but I haven't tried to watch the first two since the era of VHS, so its probably been at least 10 years. And haven't seen Spirited Away since it came out, so, probably about the same.

I've tried so, so many times to get into Nausicaa. The movie and the manga. I've watched it several times and read it twice, and by all rights I should love it, but it just doesn't click for me. I've had this conversation with Zephos before. I think it boils down to that there is no sense of fun (or glory) in it, so nothing breaks up the ever present despair and gloom of it all, and it doesn't present war as anything but what it is.

Really liked Porco Rosso and Laputa. They weren't fantastic, but I enjoyed the characters and the journey and the visuals. To this day it wierds me out to realize that the sky sanctuary level in Sonic 3&K was blatantly ripped off of Laputa, right down to how it crumbles apart in the end.

I really enjoyed Whisper of the Heart, which Miyazaki didn't direct, but was heavily involved in. (And really. All the Ghibli films have his influence so heavily on them in the art department and dedication to visual quality its difficult to seperate them.) By all rights I should be bored about the story of a girl going to school writing stories and a boy making violins, but I think it strikes the same chords that Ratatouille did with me. Its about creating and being a storyteller and having passion in what you do, and I really identify with that.

Enjoyed some of his early career tv work, too. Animal Treasure Planet is fun.

Earthsea I wanted really badly to love, but Miyzaki's son just isn't quite up to task yet, even with the studio behind him putting in that inherant quality.

Still haven't seen Ponyo or Borrowers, but I want to.
    Last edited by Robby; July 10th, 2011 at 02:48 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Miyazaki Hayao talked about his encounter with Tezuka Osamu's works for the first time. He confessed the admiration for and the repulsion against the great Mangaka.

"I've been struggling with Tezuka for long. Words like indebtedness or gratitude cannot describe my feeling toward him. The impact of Shin Takarajima upon the mangaka in our generation was beyond the imagination of the younger people."
    Shin Takarajima is Tezuka's manga published in 1947. It established the style and the architecture of the modern manga.
    "It brought us to a totally unseen world and greatly broaden our horizons."

Miyazaki was also absorbed in Tezuka's Sci-fi trilogy "Lost World", "Metropolis", and "Kitarubeki Sekai".
    "The image of the future Tezuka showed us was not only bright but scary, irrational, and sad. He'd already realized the two opposing aspects of Modernism: prosperity and destruction."
    Miyazaki supposed that the memory of the piles of corpses in the air raid on Osaka city made a dark hollow in Tezuka's mind. Tezuka started to hide the dark side as he became more and more popular.
    "I can see Tezuka's nihilistic idea that humanism is the only way to succeed in the anime/manga business. He intentionally removed the darkness from his works. That's why Tetsuwan Atom (1963) was boring."

Miyazaki once bitterly criticized Tezuka in 1989 in the mourning message for him. "Tezuka's animation was Ohya no Gidayu. A landlord forces his tenants to see his terrible performances. The evaluation hasn't changed. But it's true that I felt relieved to see Tezuka failed in Atom. It gave me a chance to beat him."

Miyazaki quitted Mangaka and became an animator because he couldn't be free from the influence of Tezuka's arts. He admitted the basis of his perception originated from the impact he got from Shin Takarajima.
    "And that's why I've never wanted to be a worshiper of Tezuka."
    Source: Yomiuri

I have only seen Howls moving castle and Spirited away.

I was dissapointed with moving castle cause I felt lost a lot. The animation is gorgeous but I don't remember a lot of scenes.

Spirited away really holds a special in my heart. When I got out of the theater, it was sunny and crowded. I felt so happy...
    The train scene is my favourtite scene of the film.

Princess Mononoke and Porco Rosso are next on my list.

I think I could endlessly watch Totoro.

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

Porco Rosso, Spirited Away, and Princess Mononoke are my favorites.

I didn't really like ponyo but maybe something was lost in translation. It was cute though, i loved all her sisters.

All of these are great movies, of course, but to rank my favorites...

Spirited Away
    Totoro
    Howl's Moving Castle
    Nausicaa
    Castle of Cagliostro
    Laputa
    Porco Rosso
    Mononoke
    Kiki's Delivery Service
    Ponyo

I know, I know. "mononoke so low!?" See, I just didn't like the whole last 20 minutes. There is this dubious "god" who gets his head shot off, and then can't frigging control himself and starts killing everything, then they give him his goddamn head back, and then he still dies, or at least disappears, and then it starts undoing the damage his rampage caused. The message I saw wasn't "technology is bad let's go back to the earth" but rather "wow what a sucky god seriously".

I liked almost everything else about the movie, and if the god had turned back into the deer thing at the end, smiled at our heroes, and then leaped away, I'd be fine. But to establish a time limit, and then have the heroes make it in time, but the god still dies, seemed really lame. Maybe I'm just a stupid westerner who can't wrap his head around the concept of millions of "kami", but it doesn't sit right with me. And that taints the rest of the movie, because I'm waiting for the horrible ending.

also, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the wonderful music, yet. Every film has a great score, but I think Spirited Away had the best, which is partially what pushes it to the front of my list.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information