+ Reply to Thread
Page 354 of 355 FirstFirst ... 254 304 344 352 353 354 355 LastLast
Results 7,061 to 7,080 of 7094

Thread: What are you Playing?

Default Re: What are you Playing?

Playing Zone Of Enders HD Remaster

Only played the first 20 minutes and boy is this game swimming in tropes/cliches.

- Kid experiencing a tragic event and Immediately gets thrown into a weapon of war which he can competently use (which at least makes sense considering you're playing as him).
    - Doesn't like being told what to do by adults....or his pragmatic AI partner.
    - Recklessly stupid childhood friend.
    - Insubordinate Rival.

Not a fan though of trying to keep casualties and area damage at 100% since letting either fall below all but ensures you get a C rating which is pretty easy to do given how easy it is to for you or enemies to destroy buildings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Finished Great Ace Attorney over the weekend. Pretty sure the two together make for my favorite AA game, I was sad when it was over. Strong soundtrack and cast, helps that it's set away from the rest of the series so it's all pretty self-contained with a start and finish without the plot meandering around.

I'm thinking OMORI is next, and/or Tales of Arise.
    Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー)TSUKAME SUCCESS !

Well, today's been a challenging but rewarding day for me.

Got The Kid in Super Meat Boy, which was the last the thing I needed to do to 100% the game (except for getting all achievements and Kid Xmas, which I won't do). I know I voiced my frustration with the game earlier, but I stuck with it, played a bunch more levels and, well..."got good".

Also, beat both secret bosses for Deltarune (Chapter 1 and 2) for the first time. Incidentally, Chapter 2 was great, not that I expected any less. I mean, if you liked Undertale and Deltarune Ch. 1 you'll like Chapter 2.

Anyway, next up I think I'll be trying Portal for the first time (yes, really).

Finished and platinum’ed 13 Sentinels overall a decent game could’ve been better in certain respects.

Now what else in my backlog should I finish.
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting

I'm still putting in hours into Hades to mop up my last achievements. Still as fun as when I started playing it, what a game this is! Probably heading into Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order next, which I'm pretty sure I will have a blast with, too.

Has anyone played Psychonauts? The 2nd one is on Gamepass at the moment and I heard good things about the series. I'm thinking I should probably play those in order though, right?
    We all float down here!

Played a little over 3 hours of Metroid Dread since yesterday and I'm having an absolute blast with it. The game looks so good, each new area looks better than the last and really gives off such an amazing atmosphere. I've been on a media black out for this game after the E3 reveal so I have no idea what to expect for abilities and enemies. One of the most recent abilities I got I spent almost a minute playing with it before moving on because it was just so cool to use. With how smooth Samus moves with the more action oriented combat and the quick pace of everything, she comes across more as a badass space bounty hunter than ever before. At first I thought the game was going to be on the easy side, but once I got to the third area the game stopped holding back its punches and the EMMI encounters became much more intimidating.

For some spoiler thoughts for 3 hours in, which does include one major spoiler if you haven't seen anything past the initial E3 trailer

Spoiler:
    That third EMMI really did have me sweating. With it being able to move so fast, I always lost if it spotted me. Had a really intense moment where I went invisible and it was staring right in my face before it moved away that was absolutely terrifying to me. Figuring out how to get it in a spot to blast it with the beam spray before being able to take it down was also intense, taking me a few tries before I figured it out.

I was spoiled on the fact that Kraid showed up, but had no idea when or where nor what he looked like. It was an intense boss fight, as I only had two extra energy tanks and could still die quickly if not careful. Overall a spectacular boss fight and love the opening cut scene where Samus just charge blasts into his mouth without a second thought.

I'm a few hours into Metroid Dread myself.

Spoiler:
    Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the EMMI encounters as I feel it puts the player on edge a bit too often, when the focus of the game should be on exploring and experimenting. That and there are too many cutscenes.

But it's Metroid, so it's still a good time overall. I'm surprised how long they held off giving you the Morph Ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennywise View Post
    I'm still putting in hours into Hades to mop up my last achievements. Still as fun as when I started playing it, what a game this is! Probably heading into Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order next, which I'm pretty sure I will have a blast with, too.

Has anyone played Psychonauts? The 2nd one is on Gamepass at the moment and I heard good things about the series. I'm thinking I should probably play those in order though, right?
    I highly recommend you play them in order. While the second game does an okay job of getting new players up to speed it's crammed full of references and characters you'll have no connection to if you didn't play them in order. Plus the intro spoils the most interesting twists of the first game which is... yeah....

If you do go ahead and play them, I'd recommend the PC port and once you're done look up the 1.5th game Rhombus of Ruin on YouTube (unless you have a VR set, then I say play it).

I can't recommend this series enough, it's one of my absolute favourites. That said it's not for everyone - if you're looking for a good platformer game this 'aint it. These games live or die depending on whether you enjoy the story and setting. If you don't, you should probably spend time on something else.
    Wano Predictions
    Spoiler:

Finished up Dread this morning. Loved it from start to finish. I can see how some will not be fans of the EMMI encounters, but each one was unique and had many moments that had me on edge. The game doesn't really open up until you are at the very last area, where having every power up allows you to go back anywhere and find the rest of the power ups. I'm perfectly content with this, as since the overall map is so large it makes it easy to find your way through the game and not get lost until that time to back track through every place to clean up.

Decided after finishing the game to start a new game and just try to speed through it. In an hour beat the 2nd boss and the game feels even better. For a game that after the first play through the fear and intensity is gone knowing what to expect, the game feels really good to just run through when knowing what to do. Understanding when to best counter makes fights quite fun to go through again and gives a great sense of how much I have learned from my initial play through. Much like Zero Mission, Super, and Fusion, I can see this being a game I just run through from time to time. All in all a great game which would've been a game of the year for me easily if not for other stand out games I've played this year.

^Damn. You work fast.

Spoiler:
    I just beat the giant Parasite X monster and trying to make my way back to Ferenia, but I'm...pretty sure I'm not going the way the game wants me to go. But hey, that's alright. Finally gives me a chance to explore and gather some collectibles.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    ^Damn. You work fast.
    Believe it or not there's been a lot of bitching about the length of the game in places like Gamefaqs. Which to me just seems like a weird complaint.

I mean, it's not like Metroid games are famous for their length. Hell, beating them as quickly as you can has become a staple of the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Zar View Post
    Spoiler:
    I highly recommend you play them in order. While the second game does an okay job of getting new players up to speed it's crammed full of references and characters you'll have no connection to if you didn't play them in order. Plus the intro spoils the most interesting twists of the first game which is... yeah....

If you do go ahead and play them, I'd recommend the PC port and once you're done look up the 1.5th game Rhombus of Ruin on YouTube (unless you have a VR set, then I say play it).

I can't recommend this series enough, it's one of my absolute favourites. That said it's not for everyone - if you're looking for a good platformer game this 'aint it. These games live or die depending on whether you enjoy the story and setting. If you don't, you should probably spend time on something else.
    I appreciate the input, thanks a lot! :)

OT: I'm down to the last 4 achievements in Hades. The 2 Skelly prices (8 & 16 heat respectively) might turn out tough, but I can't imagine a solid gun build and a careful approach won't cut it for those.
    We all float down here!

Finished up Metroid Dread today. All around, another great Metroid experience. Clear time, 10:22:01 with 100% item completion. A few thoughts:

Spoiler:
    -The EMMI stuff grew on me a bit, but still not my favorite aspect of the game. Just felt like kind of ordeal every time I had to maneuver around them, and not really in a fun way.
    -Why no Ridley?! How can you have a Metroid game without Ridley? ...Well, okay, there's been a few games without him, but still.
    -There was only one item I really had to look up how to get and that was because I had no idea you could go back to running after launching yourself with the Speed Booster (incidentally, a lot of the Speed Booster-blocked items were pretty demanding and required precise timing).
    -Metroid Samus was not something I was prepared to see and it was pretty damn cool.

IGN gave deathloop a 10/10

Is it really that good? I mean the concept seemed really cool but I wasn’t expecting it to get that good a score

Reviews scores are entirely subjective what some may find to be a perfect game others may see as a passable game that doesn’t truly reach it’s potential. While something seen as meh and not terribly engaging others will enjoy for hours on end.

Word of advice to fledging video game developers. If you video game has an emphasis on teamwork

A. Make your AI teammates competent. Yes I know this can be challenging and what not but you essentially committed to this design philosophy so try to do what you can to make the gameplay as good as can be.

B. Don’t decide to throw in segments where you’re soloing a series of missions with no teammates and also in a game where enemies love hiding in corners or jumping out of nowhere.

C. Don’t throw in bullshit set pieces where you have essentially an unkillable target pinning you down with heavy ordinance while never ending grunts come out the woodwork trying to flush you out of cover and then have said unkillable enemy lob a missile at you with an undetermined blast radius which means you’ll get killed instantly if you’re in the wrong place.

Basically don’t be like Rainbow Six Vegas 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    Finished up Metroid Dread today. All around, another great Metroid experience. Clear time, 10:22:01 with 100% item completion. A few thoughts:

Spoiler:
    -The EMMI stuff grew on me a bit, but still not my favorite aspect of the game. Just felt like kind of ordeal every time I had to maneuver around them, and not really in a fun way.
    -Why no Ridley?! How can you have a Metroid game without Ridley? ...Well, okay, there's been a few games without him, but still.
    -There was only one item I really had to look up how to get and that was because I had no idea you could go back to running after launching yourself with the Speed Booster (incidentally, a lot of the Speed Booster-blocked items were pretty demanding and required precise timing).
    -Metroid Samus was not something I was prepared to see and it was pretty damn cool.
    Glad you enjoyed the game as well. As for some spoiler thoughts.

Spoiler:
    I'm actually glad there was no Ridley fight this time around, he gets enough time so having Kraid get a chance instead was a nice change of pace. For the speed booster, the only challenge one I didn't like was the one you had to morph ball, bomb launch yourself across breakable blocks, then shine spark. That particular puzzle didn't click for me and unlike others felt like luck when I eventually got it. Maybe I'm a little more lenient because after replaying Zero Mission and Fusion where some of those were really precise and demanding, these felt challenging enough but not aggravating. And yes, Metroid Samus was awesome, and everything from the final fight to the end was complete hype for me

I am obsessed with Dread. I did two speed runs, the first being just below 3.5 hours and the other one being a little over 3 hours on hard. Now I'm doing a run trying out the various sequence breaks and having a blast with that. I'm on the edge of making this my personal favorite Metroid game of the franchise so far. Hoping that with the good critical reception comes good sales so we can get more 2D Metroid games!

Finally finished Psychonauts 2. I'm over the moon, I've been looking forward to this game for so long and it was perfect in almost every aspect.

Spoiler-free thoughts
    Spoiler:
    The game plays almost exactly like the first just updated to modern standards. Movement and combat is great. Many of the classic abilities return with three brand-new powers to explore (if anyone out here is an Invader Zim fan, there's a little love letter for you). They're all fun and usable, with the biggest change probably being levitation which now has a non-infinite glide and a toned down jump. While a bit sad, it's understandable considering how horribly broken that ability was in the first game. Once you get used to it you'll be using it just as much as in the first game, it's a fantastic power.

The story is great, still retaining that classic humour though it has toned down some of the more extreme elements. No more people saying they're gonna kill themselves. It strikes a nice balance of updating to modern standards without constraining their comedy. It also takes the mental health aspect seriously and a lot of the levels you explore aren't black comedy, they're genuinely sympathetic visits to minds of sad people. I love that the game tackles these concepts without being bleak, depressing or cynical. The whole experience is a breath of fresh air from many modern shows. There's also a gay couple and they're done very well. Other games should take pointers here on good storytelling.

The levels themselves... I still have a few criticisms against the gameplay aspect. In particular some levels were very long and I feel the boss battles weren't that great. That said there's no bad levels here, and from an artistic standpoint each is a spectacle. Some make you feel like you're part of an animated movie. And a good amount of them had an emotional impact on me, especially... not spoiling that! Let's just say there's one level in here that's good. Really, really, REALLY good.

As for any disappointments... while there are a lot of side characters just like in the first game you don't get to really know them that well. The campers from the original moved around a lot more between levels creating a feeling of a living breath world which is missing here, but on the flip side there is a bigger attempt to integrate the side characters into the story this time. I wish there was more to do with them. I still like them, but yeah.

and spoiler thought
    Spoiler:

The biggest disappointment for me (aside from underutilized side characters) is probably the final level/fight. I twist with the mole was great, and I really do like how they broke you away from what you thought was the final fight, but I was put off how after spending the entire game being sympathetic to people the villain is just... flat. There's one scene that's somewhat sympathetic and that's it. I guess they didn't want to make the villain too sympathetic as it might create a connection between trauma -> bad person. A noble goal but it doesn't work well for stories. It's anti-climatic and it just feels weird when you're then thrown back into the fight with Maligula, and I didn't enjoy that fight either. I imagined I'd be fighting a huge monster not a spinning water tornado... Maligula also felt so separate from Lucy at that point and you just kick her back where she came from.

While the second game improved over the first in almost every aspect, I consider the Meat Circus superior to Fatherland Follies/Maligula. It was buggy and frustrating but it got the emotional part right. It made you understand Raz better and created sympathy for Oleander. It's because of that level that I could keep loving the guy after everything he did. And the final boss was terrifying. It really felt like you were beating your own demons.

But regardless I love this game to bits and it's gonna be one I replay over and over.
    Wano Predictions
    Spoiler:

I tried playing Fallout New Vegas but I could not get past the character creation.

Why do so many games have shitty character creation systems or just plain shitty graphics that makes your character look like shit I couldn’t covet into the Surge 2 for this reason either.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information