+ Reply to Thread
Page 349 of 355 FirstFirst ... 249 299 339 347 348 349 350 351 ... LastLast
Results 6,961 to 6,980 of 7094

Thread: What are you Playing?

Default Re: What are you Playing?

I finally played through Disco Elysium. Brilliant game that is almost exactly what I hoped it would be. I've been using it as an example for a while of what I wish games like Outer Worlds could be, but aren't since they're juggling too many gameplay types. In Outer Worlds, talking through situations is very shallow and not built to be as engaging or fun as the combat (though the combat is pretty dull, too, compared to dedicated action games and has its own problems). By focusing on dialogue, dice rolls and decision making, Disco Elysium is able to build a more robust and interesting gameplay system that compliments the story it's used to tell. It has this great tone somewhere between apocalyptic and silly that it pulls off in a way where each part compliments the other. The writing is phenomenal and had me engaged from beginning to end with trying to unravel what's happening in the world and to what extent I could even effect it.

Minor ending spoilers (nothing specific, but general impressions):
    Spoiler:
    The ending was a little anti-climactic, but in a way that makes sense for the game. I get it and think it's fitting for the story, but I wish there was maybe one more short act to better pay off the character you've been building and his reactions to the plot's different turns. I think something like that would better pay off the gameplay.

I had a few issues with the game that are minor in the scheme of things, but I wanted to express. Sometimes the game isn't very transparent about when it will lock you out of something or hurt you. It normally does a great job of letting you know, but occasionally I found myself getting locked out of interactions or dying because it wasn't clear either of those things would happen. Some puzzles have solutions that are too narrow, and if you fail a dice roll enough times you can get potentially locked out of completing a quest altogether. I had that happen once and it was not a good feeling, because I was invested in the quest and it would have died there from a bad roll of the dice. That leads me to maybe the biggest issue I have, which is that for those reasons and more, cheesing the game is very attractive. I do want to play with the consequences of my actions, but I found myself resetting dice rolls a few times until I got a success. I ended up resetting that last puzzle I mentioned because there was no other solution, I couldn't access a reroll and I had invested a lot into that subplot. In another interaction, I died unexpectedly after failing a roll behind a difficult check I had passed, and wanted to get back there more prepared with health items so I could make it through the conversation. In a few more, I thought that what I was missing was just too interesting to miss, and I feel justified in cheesing. Some of these issues are hard to avoid, but I think if they wrote in some more alternate solutions to puzzles with different levels of difficulty, made the conditions for dying clearer (most of the time it's fine, but there were some exceptions) and saved after each decision you made, then the game could be even better than it was.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

I'm playing two games right now. My main game is Final Fantasy XIV, as I'm still learning the game, and got a lot to do. I also started to play Celeste again, it's one of my favorite games, and I'm hoping next year I can cosplay as Madeline for the upcoming anime convention in July. (Depending on factors.)

I probably start playing a third game soon, but not sure which one it shall be yet. Maybe Okami or Trails in the Sky.

Ghosts of Tsushima & Dragon's Crown if it looks like I'm multitasking (poorly) that's because I'am.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

I play Hearthstone and World of Warcraft, and I look forward to the Shadowlands release. I have been playing WoW since 2011. In addition, he played The Witcher, Assassin's Creed, Need for Speed (almost all parts). Now there is little time for games. I try not to follow the news, so as not to be upset that there is no time to complete.

Been playing Yooka-Laylee: The Impossible Lair.

So basically this is just them doing a Donkey Kong Country style platformer (as opposed to the Banjo-Kazooie style 3D platformer of the first game), which is all well and good, but...man this platforming is just not fun. I actually like the overworld puzzle-solving stuff better. I don't know if that says more about me or the game, but every time I get to a new platforming level I'm like "Ugh, this shit again."

I can't even really put my finger on why the platforming stages are such a chore. I guess because they're not particularly fun or inspired and the controls are really stiff and constricting.

Started Darkest Dungeon.

Oh boy, this aims to be one for the "favourite" shelf. The design is very appealing to me as well as the humour. But damn, sometimes the game is harsh. I'm playing on the easiest difficulty (as per the game's advice), and on one mission, my Vestal suffered two heart attacks in succession and died. On an apprentice level mission.

My favourite class so far is the Leper. The design is pretty cool, and I can't get enough of his "come at me" stance whenever he's attacked. Especially with area attacks when the whole group is hit, everyone else is cowering or blocking, and he's just standing there, arms to each side.

Finally got to playing Crash 4: It’s About Time. Generally a really good game that maintains a lot of the charm of the originals. Good lord does it get hard if you try to go about unlocking stuff, or god forbid 100%-ing it though. They really took the challenge of the originals to the next level with this one, with some questionable results that can make the game more rage-inducing than fun and challenging imo.

Playing Kingdom Hearts.

How did this game launch a franchise?
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting

I think playing Doom 3 is starting to make me go mad and not in the insane in the membrane kinda mad.

Quote Originally Posted by Capone Bege View Post
    Finally got to playing Crash 4: It’s About Time. Generally a really good game that maintains a lot of the charm of the originals. Good lord does it get hard if you try to go about unlocking stuff, or god forbid 100%-ing it though. They really took the challenge of the originals to the next level with this one, with some questionable results that can make the game more rage-inducing than fun and challenging imo.
    Pretty much what happened to me is that I slowly began justifying to myself that I don't need to do 100%, particularly when they start doing stuff like hiding boxes super high above other boxes in a way that you're screwed if you accidentally break a box below. And then you have that thing where some of the Tawna/Dingodile/Cortex stages last like 5 minutes before tossing you back into the same level you just did, but with more boxes lol

It makes it rewarding to get all things for a level, but they really did go a bit far with the rude boxes. I'm probably going to settle with getting all costumes and doing some of the relics up until it stops being fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Noqanky View Post
    Pretty much what happened to me is that I slowly began justifying to myself that I don't need to do 100%, particularly when they start doing stuff like hiding boxes super high above other boxes in a way that you're screwed if you accidentally break a box below. And then you have that thing where some of the Tawna/Dingodile/Cortex stages last like 5 minutes before tossing you back into the same level you just did, but with more boxes lol

It makes it rewarding to get all things for a level, but they really did go a bit far with the rude boxes. I'm probably going to settle with getting all costumes and doing some of the relics up until it stops being fun.
    I’m convinced the game devs were being somewhat sadistic with this one. It would potentially take me hours to find some of these boxes with how ridiculously well they were hidden without looking up a guide.

Having half the Dingodile/Tawna/Cortex stages be slightly remixed stages you’ve already done in the latter part was a weird and kind of lazy idea in my opinion too.

I pretty much did a vanilla clear while unlocking some of my favorite costumes and I’ll probably leave it at that.

Well with my Xbox Game Pass Sub. Winding Down I decided to try out a a handful of games some old some new.

Battlefield 3

- I thought this was decent but it’s easy to see when and where Dice decided they were going to start using the BF games as veiled tutorials for the game’s multiplayer though unlike 1 the story here was a mess as opposed to feeling too brief it also feels too much like the writers looked at the first two MW games and decided to role it’s story into one game, I also like how for no reason the game starts with a flashforward that it then makes you replay up to the cut off point.

Battlefield 4

- Story was a bit more better here but also a mess as it’s supposed to be a sequel to the last game set pieces are also better but the game abuses Murphy’s Law a bit too much with those.

Gears Tactics

- XCOM in the Gears Universe I’ve only played up to the 4th Chapter of Act 5 but this is a decent game.

Katana Zero

- Easily the best game out of the four good gameplay, crazy story, soundtrack good enough that I had to track it down since of course I can’t get much out of via my TV speakers. After finishing it I found out that some DLC for the game is apparently supposed to be coming out.....which was mentioned before the pandemic which as of this writing hasn’t dropped so now I’m left wanting more.

Been playing A Hat in Time.

On the one hand, I think there are some really imaginative locations and concepts in this game, but on the other hand...man, this game really needed to be playtested a few more times.

Playing The Messenger now and, holy shit, I instantly love this. Some of the enjoyable platforming I've ever experienced.

I played Half Life Alyx and it was so much better than I was expecting. I've never been too much into VR but this game at least does a good job of including everything that should make someone come around to VR. Stuff like the way you turn takes getting used to but it looks so cool, especially with the amount of environmental interaction the game has.

Been playing Crash Bandicoot 4 and...man, I'm sorry, but this game is fucking infuriating.

I played the first Crash Bandicoot as a kid (never played 2 or 3) and I don't remember the momentum of the characters being so janky or the depth perception, at times, being nonexistent. I'm generally a completionist, but I don't know if I'll be able to bring myself to collect all the gems in this game, to say nothing of the N. Verted World and Time Trial shit.

I started playing A Hat in Time a few days ago as I was craving 3D platformers/collect-a-tons because I kept watching a lot of Banjo-Kazooie stuff. The game is really fun so far, and using a guide so I don't miss anything xD

I don't know whose bright idea the security camera mechanic in SS2 was. I'm pretty sure there's a limited number of non-respawning enemies in each area but triggering a security camera makes them all rush you for (maybe) easy killing. Honestly not enjoying this game as much as Thief or Deus Ex, but it's still kind of fun. I also am not sure I understand the stat system. I did a background thing at the beginning to get a point in research but still can't research anything right away, so I'm not sure what those background points were for.

Upgraded back to the Ultimate Game Pass on my Xbox after a couple months and downloaded Celeste, Carrion and Control.

Decided to give Carrion a go right away since I heard some good stuff about it and so far it's pretty enjoyable. Neat style and interesting metroidvania-esque gameplay despite the controls feeling somewhat wobbly in some situations.
    We all float down here!

I've been playing a lot of Super Mario Bros 35 lately and I'm finally down to one last uncompleted level (which is 8-4 of course).

If you don't mind grinding and like Mario this game is almost perfect.
    I really hope they add the Lost Levels at some point, and make a bunch of sequels for Mario Bros 2 USA, Mario Bros 3, Mario World, all the Mario Land and Wario Land games etc...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information