+ Reply to Thread
Page 346 of 355 FirstFirst ... 246 296 336 344 345 346 347 348 ... LastLast
Results 6,901 to 6,920 of 7094

Thread: What are you Playing?

Default Re: What are you Playing?

Quote Originally Posted by Nolus View Post
    Beat the main mission in Dark Souls 2:

Spoiler:
    While I appreciate duo bosses not being horrendously overpowered and difficult, having a health pool the equivalent of that of a goldfish makes beating them less satisfying than farming basic mobs.
    Hey, now you can start the DLC, which are the highlight of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by TLC View Post
    Hey, now you can start the DLC, which are the highlight of the game.
    I sure hope it's going to be more interesting than the base game. Although the horrendous controls stay the same.

Just burned my way through Doom 2016 and am now playing Doom Eternal. I love how much depth and customization the sequel added. These games are unholy amounts of fun.
    Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー´)TSUKAME SUCCESS !

Why is the DLC of Dark Souls 2 actually good? I mean, I'm genuinely having fun. Backstabbing is still broken, and enemies like to disregard walls whilst hitting me, but the exploration is interesting and there's hardly any bloody spambushes.

I finished up Bloodborne the other day.

Spoiler:
    Overall a very solid From Software game that I enjoyed with some caveats.

Big problems out of the way first: the blood vial system sucks. Having a limited inventory of them is exactly the problem that turned me off of Demon's Souls initially, and it made some bosses a pain to retry. I had at least two instances of running out of vials, after which I learned to just spend a bunch of time grinding and not enjoying the game in order to beat it. Also, there was no reason for the bonfire/lantern system to be revised so that it doesn't heal you/respawn enemies when you touch it.

My last big problem is that, out of all the From Software games, I felt the least invested in anything that was going on in this one. The setting is really cool, and the hook is fantastic, but the narrative direction of the game is so messy that I never had a great idea of what I was doing or what was happening other than 'move forward to continue.' I never had any clue where in the game I was and I flat out had to have a friend tell me what the end of the game was and that I could do it after beating the wetnurse. It's not like the other From games are less cryptic, but they at least give you a direction you can latch onto as a player. In Dark Souls 1 it's ring a bell, find the lordvessel, beat the lords and become the flame (or refuse). In Dark Souls 3 it's return the four lords to their seats and keep the flame going. In Bloodborne it's go fight things until the game says stop. I've read the plot/lore since and it doesn't really excuse the lackluster game pacing, since I don't think it serves Bloodborne at all that the progression is a mostly linear path. I think Bloodborne would have worked a lot better with either an interconnected DS1 type town whose true depths you open up over time, or a bunch of separate zones where you're tasked with hunting the monsters that infest them. The linear path just made me feel like I was going nowhere in particular and nothing of relevance was happening.

All that said, the places where the game succeeded for me was its impeccable visual design, its streamlined item management and its fun combat. The gothic horror style is striking and some of those bosses are just so visually cool. Special mention goes to Mergo's Wetnurse who, I know is disappointing to some people, but I love her impossible faceless, slithering design. Ludwig was great, too, being a hideous abomination drawing out the last shred of his humanity. The landscapes and lighting help immerse you into that classic monster movie gone wrong feeling, especially how great the moon looks in contrast to the dark environments. The battle arenas for Gehrman and Orphan of Kos are gorgeous and atmospheric and only get outdone for me by DS3's Nameless King and Gael arenas.

I love that the weapons/armor are compressed in function/utility, making it easy to essentially wear and use anything you want. There's no weight system and heavy/light weapons are the same weapons, so experimenting with the combat is a lot more encouraged. Even though I didn't really switch from the hunter's axe, being able to change to light attack mode =mid-battle made combat feel a lot more interesting. Plus, the feeling of shortening the axe to pull out the torch when entering dark rooms always feels so badass.

Speaking of badass, the combat in this game is some of the most fun I've played yet from a From game. I know DS3 took inspiration from this, and I'd consider it more polished in some regards (the worst thing about Bloodborne combat is that the hitboxes are not always readable, which is a thing DS3 fixes), but the Bloodborne combat is pretty close. Now I'm a pretty dumb muscle player for these games, so I stuck to rolls only, no guns, big axe most of the time, but I loved the feel of movement and attacks, especially the charged up heavy attacks. They just feel so chunky when they land. The boss fights, while easier than DS3, have a fun flow to them. My favorite fight was probably Maria. I know she's easier if you actually parry, but because I didn't I really had to get the dodge times down, and it hit a fun and challenging groove by the time I beat it. One small thing that I really appreciated in Bloodborne compared to Dark Souls 3 was that multi-phase bosses never swapped out health bars. It annoyed me a bunch in DS3 because I'd be managing my estus based on the health bar, get down to none and then a boss's second phase would come out of nowhere. Having a single health bar made the toughest fights challenging, but less frustrating. Like naked shrimp man is considered one of the hardest bosses in all of Soulsborne, but he felt a lot more manageable to me thanks to knowing that I just had a little more to push through once he moved onto the squidier phase. My only complaint is how Gehrman/Moon Presence have to be the last fight, because they're so easy by the time you beat the DLC.

Overall a really enjoyable game. If it was structured better, it might have topped DS1 for me. As is, I'd rank DS1>DS3>BB>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DS2 so far.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Sekiro probably did healing the best. A more limited number of heals but they regenerate, and you can increase the total over time by finding/earning items. And there are some skills that can also boost healing efficiency. Probably my favorite setting and story as well, if only because I'm sick of grimdark gothic/medieval settings and I pretty much loathe the sparse indirect storytelling. Sekiro fixes both of these without making it bland or straightforward either.

I finished Dark Souls 2 for all intents and purposes. I say this, because I didn’t actually kill all the possible bosses, nor do I really feel I’ve reached completion, but I don’t see the point of seeking out another three or four optional bosses that are probably not worth the trouble anyway.

Warning: wall of text ahead.

Spoiler:
    A mess is the word I’d use to describe this game in a single word. I started it with the knowledge that this might be the worst out of the three installments and that it’s reception is very divisive to say the least. I tried to keep an open mindset and so I fired up the game and the first impression was…
    That’s an awfully long and uninteresting cutscene that told me absolutely nothing of the world. It focused heavily on you, the character that’s very different from the other two games where the first cutscene aims to paint a picture of the world, give a bit of a backstory and offer a sneak-peak into who you’ll end up meeting/fighting. The problem with this is at this point, I haven’t even made my character, yet the cutscene implies a lot from the get-go with the picture of a wife and child. One could argue that it was just an example and not directly related to our character but even then it was unnecessary in my opinion.

Fine, moving on, I could already feel the controls being a little more floaty than I’d like, but no worries, I’ll get used to it. I started as a cleric, so I had a mace and I instantly took a liking to how my character was wielding it. Felt much cooler than my pyromancer mechanichally hacking away with an axe in DS1.

Forest of the Fallen giants goes by fine enough, and so we come to the second boss, the Pursuer. Big floaty armored dude with a lot of unused weapons on his back. My mace does a fine amount of damage to him, I can easily roll-dodge his attacks and where did half my HP go? Maybe his red visor is draining it? Do I have to beat him in a certain timeframe?

No, it turns out, when I dodge-rolled one of his attacks, I didn’t really dodge it according to the game. Before going into the whole agility/iframes debate, this already presents a glaring gameplay issue, namely not clearly indicating that I took a hit. I honestly can’t remember ever wondering when I lost HP in the other two games. In DS2, I constantly had to be on the lookout, eyeing my healthbar to see if I had to heal or not.

Now onto the agility thing… Whilst fighting the Lost Sinner, I became increasingly frustrated with not being able to dodge some of his attacks even though they were clearly telegraphed and I felt I reacted accordingly. My friend informed me to dump a few points into adaptability, because less than 105 agility (an attribute scaled by maxing adaptability) means less iframes than what was available from the get go in the other two games. Some people like this change, I think it’s horrible. One thing I like about Dark Souls is that you can technically beat the whole thing without levelling (SL1 runs). Leveling and updating your gear just makes it somewhat easier and it allows you to get by with a few mistakes instead of basically necessitating a perfect run. Dodge-roll is a big part of that. Someone argued that the introduction of agility makes it easier to distinguish between agile, quick assassin characters and heavily-armoured knight-like ones. Equip load already does that, since the heavier your gear, the slower your animation, the less your iframes and the shorter the distance your travel with rolling. Agility just forces you to dumb your early points into one stat unless you give up on rolling (like I did for the most part) and equip a shield because it’s much more reliable and easier to read.
    Another problem I encountered fairly early on, is that I literally hit enemies out of reach with consecutive attacks. I would hammer away at a foe and realize my second, third and fourth hit only reached empty air, and then I’m out of endurance and the enemy pummels me back. It’s one thing having different reach with different weapons (which is a good thing btw), it’s something else to be forced to pause your attacks to move closer to the enemy between every attack.
    On top of it all, I regularly found myself wrestling with the controls especially with my run button. I play with a fairly beat-up xbox controller so at first I thought it was just getting old and faulty, but I saw others having the same problems. Neither DS1 nor DS3 had these issues, at least not in these proportions (DS1 had some janky controls, but not outright unresponsive).

NPC invasions broke me. It was in Iron Keep, with Armourer Denis where I seriously considered dropping the game altogether. Invasions in the other two games happened only when you either gained back your humanity (DS1) or were embered (DS3) so if you were having a rough time, the game didn’t punish you unnecessarily. DS2 seems to revel in punishment and fucking with the player, so even if you have reduced max health from dying a couple of times, you get ganked. And these npc-s are relentless and incredibly unfair. They come at you with infinite stamina, stunlocking attacks or hyper-armor ultra-greatswords that effectively oneshot you. All the while you’re probably already spammed with the regular enemies of the area and are trying desperately to survive.
    After trying to beat Armourer Dennis at the Iron Bridge, I noticed that one of the regular enemies seemed to have disappeared. I asked my friend and he told me enemies disappear after you kill them 10 or so consecutive times. My first thought was, damn, I died that many times here? Then it hit me. So firstly, the game spams me a hundred enemies, adds in an npc that has infinite stamina and an arsenal of spells and a sword and shield, and then has the audacity to take away the enemies and simultaneously robbing me of getting over these insurmountable odds. I know this sounds very oxymoronic (or just moronic), but it truly made me feel utterly disrespected as a player. Each games had some unfair areas and challenges that tested my patience, but fighting through the bullshit at least left me satisfied to have beaten the obstacle put before me. DS2 takes it away from you while upping the ante on the bullshit factor by a hundred.

These are my main gripes with the game and sadly, these define the whole experience for me.

For the sake of not being all negative about it: the weapon variety is pretty great; some of the areas are beautifully done, as well as the animations; the Eleum Loyce dlc is well-done and only minimally frustrating and has the best moment of the entire game:
    Maldron the Assassin. I explore a building and happen upon this white phantom looking guy who waves and beckons at me. I’m a little suspicious, but seeing as he behaves peacefully, I go on my merry way. I pull the lever and immediately get impaled on his lance. After respawning, I go back to where I first saw him, and sure enough, there he is, waving at me amicably. Having learnt my lesson, I take the chance to attack him first and get my revenge. He initiates turbo-mode and runs away. I follow close behind. I lose sight of him, but can hear the telltale sounds of estus-drinking, so I proceed. There he is, but not alone. A slightly whiter Covetous Demon emerges, and I find myself outnumbered. I focus on the demon, slowly chipping away his hp. At one point, it eats me and spits me out naked. I panic and start frantically punching the beast with my bare fists and manage to down it, but without any weapon, succumb to Maldron. I finally got him the third time, but boy, was the whole thing entertaining and funny.

That’s about it, really. Wouldn’t wholeheartedly recommend the game to anyone.

Discovered Stowaway

The Sinking City bundle is on sale til just after the weekend on Switch. I'm debating whether to get it. Metacritic's score isn't filling me with confidence, though. Anyone have any opinion on the gameplay? Though I can't help but wonder if a sale like that, or better, might happen again around Black Friday.

I am currently playing Prince of Persia The Sands of Time Gamecube version and that too on my Android smartphone So, Basically, I was getting bored in the lockdown and I came to know that you can play GameCube games using gamecube emulator on your Android Smartphone. I simply installed the gamecube emulator and added the rom of POP The Sands of time and started playing it. My father bought me a Gamecube when I was little and I used to play a lot of games on it. So, it is more like a nostalgic experience.

Quote Originally Posted by kuzansmoker View Post
    I am currently playing Prince of Persia The Sands of Time Gamecube version and that too on my Android smartphone So, Basically, I was getting bored in the lockdown and I came to know that you can play GameCube games using gamecube emulator on your Android Smartphone. I simply installed the gamecube emulator and added the rom of POP The Sands of time and started playing it. My father bought me a Gamecube when I was little and I used to play a lot of games on it. So, it is more like a nostalgic experience.
    You should buy a $30 controller that basically turns ur phone into a switch. I just got one and it's been great playing through metroid prime again. I'm assuming you're using dolphin for the emulator without clicking on your link.

Quote Originally Posted by kuzansmoker View Post
    I am currently playing Prince of Persia The Sands of Time Gamecube version and that too on my Android smartphone So, Basically, I was getting bored in the lockdown and I came to know that you can play GameCube games using gamecube [emulator - link redacted] on your Android Smartphone. I simply installed the gamecube emulator and added the rom of POP The Sands of time and started playing it. My father bought me a Gamecube when I was little and I used to play a lot of games on it. So, it is more like a nostalgic experience.
    This looks an awful lot like a bot post, from the formatted text to the advertising style to the embedded link, to the fact that this is the first post you decided to make. The only thing stopping me from instantly banning is the username. So, if you're not a bot, kindly give some indication ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolio View Post
    This looks an awful lot like a bot post, from the formatted text to the advertising style to the embedded link, to the fact that this is the first post you decided to make. The only thing stopping me from instantly banning is the username. So, if you're not a bot, kindly give some indication ASAP.
    I thought so too but the fact they posted here made me think otherwise

So I finished DMC5

Spoiler:
    what the hell was that!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Recently finished Final Fantasy Adventure and Trials of Mana on Collection of Mana

Spoiler:
    Final Fantasy Adventure is about what you'd expect from an RPG on the Game Boy, but it is mercifully easy.

Trials of Mana, however, can be absolutely ridiculous with its difficulty. Well...I mean I guess it's not insanely difficult since I managed to beat it, but this game really demands you give 100% almost all the time, if that makes sense. Also, the whole battle system really just doesn't work for me. At any time there's so much shit going on that it's hard to even keep track of where your character is. And when you try to go into the menu to have another character cast a spell, you can't even do it half the time since they're performing some other action. Honestly, I found the overall experience to be very draining and didn't give out nearly as much as it demanded of me in terms of satisfaction, story, graphics, etc. It's been a long time since I played Secret of Mana, so I'm not sure how much of this holds true to that game, but I remember having a less than stellar experience with that game as well.

I know these games have their fans, but, nah, I don't think they're for me.

Playing Luigi's Mansion 3 now. Virtual Boo, heh.

Put some foot in the Devil’s ass in Cuphead and it only took about 5 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Civ 6 is fun, addictive and a giant time waster.

I started Sekiro up the other day. I played about four hours of it before getting annoyed and quitting. I get why it's a polarizing experience and that people who click with the combat are going to get way more out of it, but I couldn't at all get it and I feel like so many of the game's systems interfere with each other in unsatisfying ways.

The real straw that broke my back, though, was the curse system. I know that the curses don't really do much of anything, but there really is nothing worse than the experience of struggling to click with the game and then being punished for having the audacity to learn. The game told me not to bother playing it if I'm going to keep dying, so yeah I stopped bothering.

That's what I disliked about Dark Souls 2. I was actually relieved that DS1 and DS3 didn't have a system like that. Aside from the curse in DS1, but I feel that was such a small part of the game and once learnt, was easily avoided, unlike dying in DS2.

On another note, my brother gave me his PS3, so I might get to play Demon Souls.

I assume you're talking about blood rot? It functionally doesn't affect anything and is a story/worldbuilding thing. Plus you get the ability to cure it later. You're definitely supposed to die constantly. Even as someone who loved the combat from the start, I died dozens of times on a lot of bosses and still plenty on miniboss-type enemies or ambushes. On that note, the game gives you tons of tools to help out if the "intended" fights aren't clicking. Most of the prosthetics feel like straight-up cheating to me, especially when upgraded lol. The classic consumable items like ash and oil are also super effective most of the time.

The curse thing isn't the biggest issue, but definitely the thing that brought it all crashing down. To me it doesn't matter that it doesn't actually do a whole lot. I was already frustrated with learning to play the game, and with the ways its systems just don't work for me. So after trying to put in the time and effort to learn it and get into anything resembling a comfortable groove, which was a huge demoralizing slog, the curse thing just came in like Nelson yelling "HA HA" to punctuate my misery.

An aside on healing in From games:

Hidden:
    Having engaged with it I'd say that I really don't like the healing in Sekiro. If I had to rank From Software healing mechanics, it'd be DS1>DS3>Sekiro>DS2>Bloodborne>Demon's Souls, of which I only liked the top two.

What I really like about healing in Dark Souls 1 is that you always have the same minimum amount of healing items everywhere no matter what. It's a manageable amount that lets you make a good number of mistakes at any time, but the game can also be balanced around it so that it isn't being made easier because of it.

DS3 nails the first part, but drops the ball on the second. Having an optionally growing number of charges tied to your character instead of specific bonfires means that you can end up at points where you have more or less heals than the game expects. It gets some extra points, too, though, for letting you allocate estus to magic depending on your build.

Sekiro has those problems, but starts you out with only one charge so you really can't make mistakes and learn well, either. It is interesting that upgrades are tied to battles instead of exploration, but they are no less optional so the problem isn't solved. Pellets don't do much to mitigate, and introduces a new problem of being consumable, which might necessitate grinding at some point. They get some points back for being carried 3 at a time for balance purposes and not being all that important or uncommon.

Dark Souls 2 has the same problems as Sekiro, except the upgrades are tied to exploration, so they're less likely to be found, and the consumable heal item is life gems, which you can carry any amount of, breaking the balance and making it easier to run out.

In some ways, Bloodborne's healing system is almost as good as DS1's. It gives you a consistent amount of heals that let you make a good amount of mistakes in any encounter, but the game is able to balance around that. If that were all there was to it, it would be ranked second. Buuuuuuuuuuuuut the blood vials are consumable, so you can potentially run out and be forced to farm in order to get the amount of vials the game is balanced around you having. It punishes you for failing a lot, which - like in Sekiro - I find to be an infinitely shitty and frustrating thing to do to a player.

Demon's Souls is all that, but without putting a limit on how many you can hold, so it's lacking that aspect of balance that Bloodborne had and requires you to grind if you want the ability to make mistakes and learn, plus also having no cap hurts rationing. It's just every single problem I've highlighted with the others, but together.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information