+ Reply to Thread
Page 345 of 355 FirstFirst ... 245 295 335 343 344 345 346 347 ... LastLast
Results 6,881 to 6,900 of 7094

Thread: What are you Playing?

  1. #6881
    The Album Guy Nobodyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Virginia, US

    Default Re: What are you Playing?

    Playing Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom, which I have to say is just a wonderful little game. It's on sale for Switch right now, so now would be a good time to get it.

  2. #6882

    Default Re: What are you Playing?

    Been playing Bug Fables to get a taste of classic Paper Mario RPG combat. I went in expecting a more flawed, simpler experience, but my god this game is going the distance. I'm having tons of fun and am constantly surprised at how much there is to do.

    Excellent, excellent game that I cannot recommend enough. Especially for fans of TTYD and Paper Mario 64.

  3. #6883

    Default Re: What are you Playing?

    Just finished the first chapter of TLOU Part 2, so far so good and it is as tense and grim as I expected. Quick question if anyone that’s played it knows, can the clickers actually see you now? Cos I’m pretty sure they’ve been able to spot me a couple of times when I’ve been crouched and not moving at all.
    PSN Username: Scoogs50

  4. #6884
    The Moustache Bandit Nolus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    In the moustachy shadows~

    Default Re: What are you Playing?

    Slight spoilers concerning the Ashes of Ariandel dlc:
    Spoiler:
    Beat Friede.

    Fuck two stage bosses.

    This one was three stages. 3! I had to use a completely different weapon, because my spears were far too slow. Corvian greatknife +10, lightning gem, + I summoned a phantom. Only other boss I summoned one was with the Deacons and that was sort of just like "hey, I kinda remember doing this once in the first game, let's see what this is".

    This wasn't my favourite boss. Not at all. Even if I maxed Dex, this wasn't anywhere a fair fight to me.

    Will I ever have another Pontiff Sulyvahn, or Dancer boss? I liked those.

    This was more like the Twin Princes, only worse and +1 stage.


  5. #6885
    Voici La Chévre Wagomu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Location

    Default Re: What are you Playing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nolus View Post
    Slight spoilers concerning the Ashes of Ariandel dlc:
    Spoiler:
    Beat Friede.

    Fuck two stage bosses.

    This one was three stages. 3! I had to use a completely different weapon, because my spears were far too slow. Corvian greatknife +10, lightning gem, + I summoned a phantom. Only other boss I summoned one was with the Deacons and that was sort of just like "hey, I kinda remember doing this once in the first game, let's see what this is".

    This wasn't my favourite boss. Not at all. Even if I maxed Dex, this wasn't anywhere a fair fight to me.

    Will I ever have another Pontiff Sulyvahn, or Dancer boss? I liked those.

    This was more like the Twin Princes, only worse and +1 stage.
    Spoiler:
    Glad to know I'm not alone on Friede lol. After beating the games I dove into reviews and discussions and was surprised at the amount of people who were calling her a great boss. She combines a lot of the worst aspects of Dark Souls bosses: the multiple health bars makes it hard to properly pace the fight, the multiple phases makes it hard to learn, the second phase is a multi fight that's broken like other multifights but with more AOE attacks, and every phase - the third phase in particular - has hard to read tells that will kill you multiple times before you figure out how to deal with it. Phase 1 and 3 are okay to fight, but phase 2 is a shitshow wedged in the middle that ruins the experience as a whole.

    Difficulty is the most overblown part of the Dark Souls series imo and I do not understand fans that like bosses simply because they're hard. So much of the difficulty in the series comes from just bullshit that's hard to account for, especially in the first two games. 3 I think has the best fights in the series, but sometimes it still falls into the same traps as the other games. Friede is among the game's worst offenders.

    3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

  6. #6886
    The Moustache Bandit Nolus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    In the moustachy shadows~

    Default Re: What are you Playing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    Spoiler:
    Glad to know I'm not alone on Friede lol. After beating the games I dove into reviews and discussions and was surprised at the amount of people who were calling her a great boss. She combines a lot of the worst aspects of Dark Souls bosses: the multiple health bars makes it hard to properly pace the fight, the multiple phases makes it hard to learn, the second phase is a multi fight that's broken like other multifights but with more AOE attacks, and every phase - the third phase in particular - has hard to read tells that will kill you multiple times before you figure out how to deal with it. Phase 1 and 3 are okay to fight, but phase 2 is a shitshow wedged in the middle that ruins the experience as a whole.

    Difficulty is the most overblown part of the Dark Souls series imo and I do not understand fans that like bosses simply because they're hard. So much of the difficulty in the series comes from just bullshit that's hard to account for, especially in the first two games. 3 I think has the best fights in the series, but sometimes it still falls into the same traps as the other games. Friede is among the game's worst offenders.
    Spoiler:
    Yeah, the second phase was the most lackluster and I found myself being bored. I'm a hybrid battlemage thingy, and, when the fights allows, I can retreat a bit and shoot the boss from afar. Phase two was just going in circles, avoiding Friede's freezefloors and Daddy Ariandel's rampage. I ended up just going ham with it once I got Gael, because the dude was not big on surviving and it was faster dealing with phase two entirely in melee.
    One thing I forgot to mention: the disappearing gimmick was pretty cool, because you could actually hear where she was if you have a good set of headphones and really concentrate on it.

    There are bosses I was fond of and never really raged over. I mentioned Sulyvahn and Dancer (both of which have pretty cool introductions), but I also enjoyed Lord of Cinders. I hated the Crystal Sage, but tried using Irithyl Frostsword on her and she was completely annihilated by that. I felt like I was cheating, lol. Deacons were a cool concept, I liked that I had to think a little and see what it was all about. I like that you had Siegward on your side with Yhorm (provided you helped him out a couple of times). Aldrich is the same as Crystal Sage, but I was able to beat him fairly quickly. Didn't like the fight though. The Twin Princes were an interesing concept, but the teleportation absolutely fucked me over. Vordt, Oceiros and Dragonslayer Armour and both Gundyrs were pretty standard and I had fun with them.
    As for Nameless King, I kinda broke him, I think. I managed to land like a hundred shots on him while he was just casually walking towards me. I liked the second phase though, his attacks seemed a lot clearer and more manageble that Friede's. The first phase and the camera angles, well, yes... I liked the concept, but the implementation left a lot to answer for.
    The demons were pretty forgettable to be honest. Easy with some sorcery too. Although I still have to defeat the two demons in Ringed City...
    Almost forgot the tree with the testicles and Wolnir. Treedude was weird, but pretty standard too. Once I got the hang of it, it was pretty straightforward. Wolnir was a fun introduction, but nothing extraordinary, once you figure out to hit the shiny parts.

    Also, fuck deathquotes by enemy bosses. Hearing them for the thousandth time is jarring to say the least (looking at you, Lothrick and Friede).


  7. #6887
    Voici La Chévre Wagomu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Location

    Default Re: What are you Playing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nolus View Post
    Spoiler:
    Yeah, the second phase was the most lackluster and I found myself being bored. I'm a hybrid battlemage thingy, and, when the fights allows, I can retreat a bit and shoot the boss from afar. Phase two was just going in circles, avoiding Friede's freezefloors and Daddy Ariandel's rampage. I ended up just going ham with it once I got Gael, because the dude was not big on surviving and it was faster dealing with phase two entirely in melee.
    One thing I forgot to mention: the disappearing gimmick was pretty cool, because you could actually hear where she was if you have a good set of headphones and really concentrate on it.

    There are bosses I was fond of and never really raged over. I mentioned Sulyvahn and Dancer (both of which have pretty cool introductions), but I also enjoyed Lord of Cinders. I hated the Crystal Sage, but tried using Irithyl Frostsword on her and she was completely annihilated by that. I felt like I was cheating, lol. Deacons were a cool concept, I liked that I had to think a little and see what it was all about. I like that you had Siegward on your side with Yhorm (provided you helped him out a couple of times). Aldrich is the same as Crystal Sage, but I was able to beat him fairly quickly. Didn't like the fight though. The Twin Princes were an interesing concept, but the teleportation absolutely fucked me over. Vordt, Oceiros and Dragonslayer Armour and both Gundyrs were pretty standard and I had fun with them.
    As for Nameless King, I kinda broke him, I think. I managed to land like a hundred shots on him while he was just casually walking towards me. I liked the second phase though, his attacks seemed a lot clearer and more manageble that Friede's. The first phase and the camera angles, well, yes... I liked the concept, but the implementation left a lot to answer for.
    The demons were pretty forgettable to be honest. Easy with some sorcery too. Although I still have to defeat the two demons in Ringed City...
    Almost forgot the tree with the testicles and Wolnir. Treedude was weird, but pretty standard too. Once I got the hang of it, it was pretty straightforward. Wolnir was a fun introduction, but nothing extraordinary, once you figure out to hit the shiny parts.

    Also, fuck deathquotes by enemy bosses. Hearing them for the thousandth time is jarring to say the least (looking at you, Lothrick and Friede).
    Spoiler:
    I went melee only build with a +10 Claymore, so phase 2 Friede involved a lot of committing to attacks on one that a split second later end up wrong because of the other's AOE. Even when I beat the fight, I think phase 2 came down to luck. Almost every multi battle in Dark Souls is bad. Dark Soul's gameplay involves a lot of slow action and input buffers in order to make you fight deliberately and attack only when it is safe. With multi-bosses, you need to wait for safe zones with each boss to attack, which can take a while. Not only that, but if one of them ends up out of view then there's no telling how safe actions you take against the other are. Sometimes you think you're in a safe zone, commit to an attack and the within the attack from the other winds up an attack that you can no longer dodge. It makes multi battles slow, unpredictable and deadly. I'm in the camp that O+S is one of the worst designed fights in all of Dark Souls.

    That said, Dark Souls 3 got the closest in the series to some acceptable multi fights. Deacons were overly easy (my build mowed them down super fast), but like you said it was an interesting concept. The Abyss Watchers are great because the multiple element serves an interesting narrative purpose and to an extent works against the boss instead of just against you. Crystal Sage is a little easy with the right loadout, but she got to use her clones more effectively than Pinwheel, her attacks are slow and numerous enough to be challenging but not overwhelming, and if they get overwhelming you can attack the clones. Sulyvahn was the best of the bunch, with a clone that works in a predictable way with the main body and can be dispatched without an unfair amount of effort.

    As for the other fights, I agree with your evaluations. I hated the Twin Princes and they almost made me quit the game, not because it took me so long to get past them but because I thought that the teleportation was so unfair. In retrospect you can learn to deal with it without too much trouble, but it's still unfair in the sense that you can't know that without dying a few times to it. That and his big windup teleport attack makes you waste time looking for him and could almost one-shot me so I had to get killed by it a bunch to learn the timing. Nameless King I felt super proud of because I beat him first try (minus a single attempt before where I died pretty quickly to phase 1), with a sliver of health remaining and no more estus. With Yhorm I am so glad I went out of my way to save my boy Siegward because I would have had no clue how to beat the fight by myself. I did a victory lap of the gamin in NG+ and I still couldn't figure out how to use the secret weapon correctly. Outside of the Princes, Friede, the Lord of Cinders and one of the Ringed City bosses, I think I beat each boss within 10 tries? That's a good level of difficulty to be at. And at least it's fair for the Lord of Cinders to take more, because he is the last boss and really just takes time to figure out his many many patterns/attacks.

    I'll be curious to hear your opinions on the Ringed City bosses!

    3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

  8. #6888
    Voici La Chévre Wagomu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Location

    Default Re: What are you Playing?

    On a whim I bought and played through Paper Mario: Origami King. My conclusion is that it is definitely better than Sticker Star and Color Splash, maybe on par with Super Paper Mario? But it's held back by a bad combat system, slow unskippable dialogue, tons of handholding, frustrating mandatory minigames and a bad main partner character. Otherwise it has a lot of cool set pieces, fun adventure elements and an excellent soundtrack that kept me engaged. I'd say overall the chapters/settings were maybe better than the SPM ones, with the caveat that they have less interesting stories. The things bosses I don't think were even that bad? I mean it's still frustrating that they refused to design them and their personalities/characters sometimes feel out of place, but they get good buildups and two of them do fun things with the designs.

    Overall I'll probably never return to this because the frustrations make the game feel pretty slow, but I think it deserves some credit for getting way closer than either of the previous two entries. Also the soundtrack has some bops!


    3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

  9. #6889

    Default Re: What are you Playing?

    I'm playing System Shock 2 for the first time.

    It feels like someone grafted Resident Evil and Metroid Prime together (or rather looking back it's clear some people at Retro were huge fans of this game).

    About the only complaint I have is the character models suck, otherwise this really deserves it's reputation.

  10. #6890
    The Moustache Bandit Nolus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    In the moustachy shadows~

    Default Re: What are you Playing?

    So I beat Dark Souls 3 with all the bosses and dlcs.

    I will perhaps write a longer, better organized post about everything, so here I'll be just talking about the DLCs themselves.
    Spoiler:

    Both were pretty nice and I enjoyed their close connections to the main story and its characters.

    Ashes of Ariandel:

    - I'm currently sort of "researching" Pontiff Sulyvahn with all of the available in-game stuff (item descriptions, mentions etc) and I was surprised to read that he was actually born and raised inside the painting;
    - at first I had the impression of a "token map influenced by Northern mythology" but I actually didn't mind this time;
    - despite being a snowy wasteland, I found the environment beautiful especially the depths (it was weird seeing the craps though);
    - the assasin-style enemies with the claws and the hoppity-jumpy fight-style were refreshingly different, and I even laughed a little when I tried taking two of them down from a ledge with sorceries and one just jumped and killed me (I lost like 30k souls there that I wasn't able to recover);
    - the bug enemies can die in a fire, yuck;
    - I love how when the game tells me to turn back, I relentlessly forge onwards (and die like a hundred times for my intrusion);

    Now onto the bosses: as far as I know, this one had two. Friede and the Gravetender
    - Gravetender was interesting. Most of the bosses are ten-times the Ashen One's size and aside from the NPC invasions, it's rare to fight someone my own size. By this point, I knew there would be a change mid-hp, so the wolf didn't come as a surprise. The Gravetender himself was easy enough, I outranged him with my Lothrick Spear. Against the wolf, I was able to use the pillars, and it actually worked. Sometimes, especially Lothrick Knights, love to strike me through solid stone pillars~
    - Friede, yea, I already talked about her. Incredibly annoying phases, with the last one being horrendously hard for me, because I was basically unable to use the mage part of my battle mage. Phase one is solid enough, although sometimes my rolling would be ineffective and she would have me on the end of her scythe. Phase two is boring and repetitive with Great Heavy Soul Arrows; just go round and round and hit the Father. Phase three... oh god. The relentless assault, the constant jumping around... Even with the Phantom of Gael, it was incredibly hard and it felt unsatisfying. Not a good boss.

    Ringed City:
    - Dreg Heap was a nice wasteland (as wastelands go);
    - I literally didn't notice the turtle grandma until like the 100th time;
    - I liked Lapp, but I messed up his storyline and he attacked me, sadly. More content for the next playthrough though~
    - The Ringed Knights were punishing and hard as heck sometimes;
    - Whoever invented curse can recieve a slap on the head. Unfun mechanic that I hated in Dark Souls 1 and was glad wasn't that used in the main game in DS3. Even when it appeared, you could easly dodge and avoid the fumes, but in Ringed City, they only had to look at you for the curse to start stacking and needless to say, I wasn't a fan.

    Now onto the bosses:
    - Demons: of course this was another two-stage bossfight. First stage was nice enough when the rng gods favored me and didn't make both demons rampage at once while I was in their faces. Second stage though, Demon Prince annihilated me. I pussied out and was really burnt out from Friede so I summoned Lapp and Gael and rushed the whole bossfight. The boss suffered from both the Two-Stage Madness and Double Trouble and this combination made it severly unfun. If it was only one stage, I would've liked it, I think.
    - Halflight: pretty easy, once I figured out I should stay away when he initiated the samurai sword stance thingamagig. Overall I had fun, but it wasn't really a fight that elevated my pulse to the levels of, let's say, Dragonslayer Armour.
    - Gael: so I messed up the order, and killed Gael before Midir thus dooming Lapp I guess (I will find out in my second playthrough). Now Gael was an incredibly fun boss for me. Even though it thecnically had 3 stages, they felt more akin to the two stages of Pontiff, Dancer and basically any main game bosses aside from the Twin Princes and the Lord of Cinders. I tried a couple of things with him, but the winning strategy was a Crystal Weapon enchanted spear in stage one and Great Heavy Soul Arrows in phases two and three. His moveset was much easier to get a good grip on than Friede's and I was able to pinpoint the danger zones easily. I died a lot though, but I never got so frustrated as with Friede and Lothrick. Stage 1 was tricky sometimes, because I got gready and wanted to land one more hit and got punished, but with patiente, I even managed to not get hit a few rounds. Stage 2 was the easiest once I adapted a mage-y stategy of staying at a safe distance and dodging his bolts and miracle discs. Stage three offered much less room for landing the shots and I felt it was a real endurance fight.
    Overall, a very satisfying boss that will go onto my favourites list just below Pontiff I think.
    - Midir: now this is more like dragon slaying than anything Skyrim could offer. Now I truly felt I was fighting against a mighty beast. It helped that there were no ledges for easy one-shot loune-attack kills. Overally pretty enjoyable and kind of on the easy side, because I had pestilent mist and once I figured out his movesets and the best time to get under him and cast my spell, it all came down to correctly reading his intentions and dodge accordingly. The one-hit death laser hurt though. I wish I found him earlier so I could see what the Lady behind the closed door said (who asked me to kill Midir in the first place and whom I killed after Gael).


    On my next playthrough I will try and beat those bosses I summoned phantoms to without phantoms (Friede, Demons and Deacons), and I'll be looking forward to see how a faith-based battlemage will fare against them.


  11. #6891
    Discovered Stowaway No swords style best style's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    In every punch and kick

    Default Re: What are you Playing?

    Finally, after playing the game on and off for the last few years and crafting some op weapons from my old stash, managed to beat every single level of Kid Icarus Uprising on 9.0 intensity.

    Eat your heart out Hades.

  12. #6892

    Default Re: What are you Playing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Noqanky View Post
    Been playing Bug Fables to get a taste of classic Paper Mario RPG combat. I went in expecting a more flawed, simpler experience, but my god this game is going the distance. I'm having tons of fun and am constantly surprised at how much there is to do.

    Excellent, excellent game that I cannot recommend enough. Especially for fans of TTYD and Paper Mario 64.
    Glad to hear this game is good. Got it last night and I’ve only heard great things so far.

  13. #6893
    Discovered Stowaway
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Cali-4-Nye-Eh.

    Default Re: What are you Playing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Capone Bege View Post
    Glad to hear this game is good. Got it last night and I’ve only heard great things so far.
    It was 10% off on the Switch eShop so I got it earlier this week. Definitely on a par with the first Paper Mario but, at least of the second chapter, not quite up to The Thousand Year Door's standard. That's no bad thing, mind you, and gives me more to look forward to since I don't know what to expect in the upcoming chapters.

  14. #6894
    SKADI IS A HELL OF A DRUG MrBits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    New York

    Default Re: What are you Playing?

    Quote Originally Posted by MrBits View Post
    Over the last few months I've been playing:

    [...]

    Judgement (currently at chapter 5): Wasn't really feeling it at first, but eventually it clicked and now I'm having about as much fun as I did with the other Yakuza games I've played. I can see this one being my favorite by the end.
    Finished it and, yeah, I loved basically everything about this game. Might even be a top 10 favorite game, or at least very close. I've still got some side content to chip away at while I'm also playing...

    Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin: So far so good. I've heard that this game has a lot of annoying enemy layouts of melee focused characters, so I've decided to try a Sorcery build. I'm glad I did because it makes it feel distinct for my DS1 Tank character.

    That said, if the rest of the game is like No Man's Wharf then, uh, I don't know how I'm gonna feel about this by the end.
    Last edited by MrBits; July 31st, 2020 at 09:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBits
    Place your bets. Is [AlphaMale/AlphaBro, an obvious ban evader] going to get banned again today, tomorrow, or in a week?
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaBro
    okay let's bet . Would love to see your losing face next week !
    An actual bet and conversation on the Chapter 905 thread, literally an hour before he got banned again.

  15. #6895

    Default Re: What are you Playing?

    Currently playing Sekiro again.

    I love this game so much, I usually don't get that much into combat, but here...chef's kiss. Is there any other move in a video game that is as satisfying to do than the Mikiri counter?
    While currently playing I attained the Shura ending with Emma & Isshin being pretty rad bosses and then went on to my old file to finally beat Owl (Father), which was tough as nails but in comparison to other hard games not even remotely that frustrating.


  16. #6896
    The Moustache Bandit Nolus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    In the moustachy shadows~

    Default Re: What are you Playing?

    So I'm playing Dark Souls II...

    Spoiler:
    The game wants me to believe, that 20+ rats is a perfectly legit bossfight.

    No.

    I can see why this one isn't as well-liked as the other two.


  17. #6897

    Default Re: What are you Playing?

    Not sure how many of you would be interested, but the first Higurashi novel is free on Steam right now. Also I guess I'm 'playing' that.

  18. #6898
    The Moustache Bandit Nolus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    In the moustachy shadows~

    Default Re: What are you Playing?

    The saga of Nolus and Dark Souls II continues:

    Spoiler:

    First off, why is there a boss named Dragonrider with no dragon under its sorry hiney and why is there more of this sad excuse for a boss in the game?

    So I've reached a point where I was having less fun with the game than finding various bits of furniture with my toe at night, so I respecced and got myself a weapon with a reach longer than the length of my nose. A halberd to be exact. I also reinforced and infused it for good measure. I've also given up on keeping my equip load under 50% for those fast/medium rolls, because I've given up on solely relying on my ability to consistently dodge anything, and dressed up as a Faraam Knight (awesome looking armour, and I like the colours).

    I've also, ugh, farmed a few hours. So I leveled up some, and also got some new miracles from various places.

    Today I also tried out the rapier, to have something faster and less swingy for situations where my dear halberd proves inefficient. I can also attack with both of them from behind a shield, that I also equipped so I can block in lieu of rolling and still getting hit.

    With these changes and some subtle tweaks to my mentality, I've started to enjoy the parts of the game that are actually enjoyable.

    I'm currently at the Shrine of Amana, and I know I'm going to soon regret my previous statement. I've heard stories and I'm not looking forward to experiencing one of the worst parts of the game.

    It looks pretty tho, I'll give you that.


  19. #6899
    Discovered Stowaway
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Cali-4-Nye-Eh.

    Default Re: What are you Playing?

    Started over on Super Mario Odyssey. Somehow feels more fun this time around even though I've already beaten it. That's pretty rare.

  20. #6900
    The Moustache Bandit Nolus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    In the moustachy shadows~

    Default Re: What are you Playing?

    Beat the main mission in Dark Souls 2:

    Spoiler:
    While I appreciate duo bosses not being horrendously overpowered and difficult, having a health pool the equivalent of that of a goldfish makes beating them less satisfying than farming basic mobs.


+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts