+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DUNE (beware book spoilers)

Default DUNE (beware book spoilers)

Movie is by all accounts awesome, and a major "must see in the theater" experience.

Note that the movie is only part one of two, and covers only the first half of the first book.

A sequel, which covers the second half has been greenlit and scheduled for 2023.

If anyone wants to discuss the books, go for it, but use spoilers if you're saying anything major.

Note that there are six Frank Herbert books, and then like 30 other spinoff books, some written by his son. No one has read the spinoff books. But if you've only read the first Dune book... some crazy stuff happens in the later ones.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Default Re: DUNE (beware book spoilers)

Well, I felt like only a third of the first book was covered. There are many charismatic characters in the film. But many "disappear" or die too early.

Timothée Chalamet was good for once (for me, again). I felt like he was getting out of his confort zone a bit. Especially in the "futur" scenes, where (yet he doesn't talk) but looks more like a charismatic-leader. Overall I liked the movie, maybe because it was dark compared to StarWars movies. Chalamet has more work to do I guess for part two, especially on his body. He's supposed to be a warrior iirc, but he's slim though. I'm not asking to look like a rugby player, but putting on a bit of muscle mass would make him just credible.

Spoiler:
    The whole point is to transform him into a charismatic leader and the subtext is kind of about the danger of having charismatic leaders in real life. Like, I can agree on that and disagree too, it depends on the mentality of the leader in question. When Herbert wrote his books, he obviously had Staline and Hitler in mind. And not Nehru/Gandhi, Ho Chi Minh or Thomas Edward Lawrence.
    But why is the character of Paul shitting himself when he has those visions about his future, like " oh no, not the djihad"(Villeneuve -or someone else- turned the word "djihad" into "holy wars" because political correctness I guess...) Dude, wtf, it's you or it's not you ? I don't remember this in the books, but I might be wrong-- not sure.

About part two, I've read somewhere that Villeneuve was thinking about making it a trilogy (at least, because there will be tv-shows too).
    Every nation gets the government it deserves.---- Joseph de Maistre

Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch View Post
    Spoiler:
    But why is the character of Paul shitting himself when he has those visions about his future, like " oh no, not the djihad"(Villeneuve -or someone else- turned the word "djihad" into "holy wars" because political correctness I guess...) Dude, wtf, it's you or it's not you ? I don't remember this in the books, but I might be wrong-- not sure.
    That was absolutely in the books.
    Spoiler:
    Paul freaked out about the fact that he was seeing a future where he'd lead a holy crusade that would kill billions. The potential jihad was not a thing he looked forward to and he wanted to change that course if he could.

He struggles to find a way forward that will not ignite the conflict throughout the universe. He fails, and the Fremen move forth throughout the universe, bringing "The Peace of Muad'dib" with them, forcing their religion on billions by the sword.

Then the second book we just sort of skip over that, its fait accompli.

And then the stuff with the kids gets really wonky.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I really liked it. Watched it in a town cinema, but think I'll go watch it again in imax version. Nobody should watch it at home the first time if they can avoid it, unless they have a pretty big screen and a bitchin surround system.

Never read the books, but thinking about covering them. By the time I started reading SF more intensely, I had already watched the Lynch version, and the 00 miniseries, spoiling myself in a way, so it just didn't have the appeal.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch View Post
    Well, I felt like only a third of the first book was covered. There are many charismatic characters in the film. But many "disappear" or die too early.

Timothée Chalamet was good for once (for me, again). I felt like he was getting out of his confort zone a bit. Especially in the "futur" scenes, where (yet he doesn't talk) but looks more like a charismatic-leader. Overall I liked the movie, maybe because it was dark compared to StarWars movies. Chalamet has more work to do I guess for part two, especially on his body. He's supposed to be a warrior iirc, but he's slim though. I'm not asking to look like a rugby player, but putting on a bit of muscle mass would make him just credible.
    They can always brush off the muscle mass issue with the fact his Bene Gesserit training allows him to utilize his existing muscles to the fullest. His mother isn't that buffed up, either, lol.

That aside, I'd like to see him more built, definitely. Maybe Duncan's dig at his muscles at the beginning was a foreshadowing. It at least shows director is aware of the "issue".

Btw, found it hilarious that beardless Momoa reminds me of Jim Belushi.
    Last edited by Razh; October 28th, 2021 at 05:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

Well sort of luckily there's a real world timejump between the films that will cover some of the timejump in the story, so... that sort of works out. He can buff up in the meantime.

Its great that they're going to finish the first book out... but I'd really like them to... somehow... get through God Emperor. But if they keep splitting them in two that's like 8 films to get through. And some of the later books are so dense its like, hell, those might need three films.

Director has already said that splitting the filming turned out to be a blessing because desert filming is so harsh... so I can't imagine them hunkering down and doing these back to back. It took a bit over 5 months to film the first one. So doing a whole story would be a year. (And LotR three films took like 14 months?)

Maybe if the next one does well then a few years later they'd film both haves of Dune Messiah at once.... any sort of not-tv time scale is going to need a decade.
    Last edited by Robby; October 29th, 2021 at 12:09 AM.

I really liked the first movie, it was great, can’t wait to see where it goes from here, hopefully they can keep making enough to make more movies til they reach the end

Also I know it’s been said before but can we make a Cosmere thread too? I’m in love with Brandon Sanderson work, would love to talk about it more

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    Also I know it’s been said before but can we make a Cosmere thread too? I’m in love with Brandon Sanderson work, would love to talk about it more
    No one's stopping you. But I expect given how many scattered series it is and how big its getting and that everyone's at different places, it probably won't be super active. WoT didn't do very well until it was on the very final book and everyone was willing to pick up the hardcover day 1 release of that one, and it was a single series. . On the other end I'm not even going to read the fourth Stormlight book until next year.

As a side discussion in the Wheel of Time thread seems like it'll get the most activity, especially since that'll have an ongoing show to push it regular visits and discussion...

(Just look at this thread for an example. It has an actual movie out right now and its a brand new thread but theres basically no discussion to be had. Either because folks haven't read any of the books, or past the first one. I'd love to meme about the god emperor and how crazy that it but...

but if you want to make a thread,, absolutely go ahead. One focused specifically on fantasy novels in general ight fare a little better since then you could also throw in Malazan or Earthsea or Pyndain or Discworld or Lightbringer or Gentleen bastards or Poppy War or Black Leopard or whatever else... so something like that might have more legs... but might also be too broad? I dunno. There's already a What are you reading? (Literature) thread and that's not super active.
    Last edited by Robby; October 31st, 2021 at 11:02 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information