View Poll Results: Is Yamato joining the crew?

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

113 81.29%
  • No

26 18.71%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

Quote Originally Posted by Berry Rich View Post
    Foreshadowing means it will have some significance later in the story. It doesn't mean the crew has to actively look for it.

Koby mentioned Zoro. Luffy was piqued with interest.
    Koby and Zoro mentioned at different times to Luffy about needing a navigator. Zoro indirectly complimented Nami's navigation skills.
    Usopp's dad being Yasopp who is in Luffy's favorite crew.
    The cook allusions refer to Sanji.
    Luffy stated he likes snow and built a snowman. Chopper was referenced as an Abominable Snowman who happens to the alluded doctor.
    If THAT is your standard of foreshadowing, then Ace showed Luffy a vivre card 20 years ago without mentioning where he got it, and foreshadowed having been to Wano during the War when found out about Oars' hat..

Or, how about how Yamato was in Oden's flashback? Or how Kaidou mentioned his disobedient some like ten chapters before Yamato actually showed up, the pages immediately after they talked about delaying Jinbe's toast.

There's a lot of argument to be made for the idea that we COULDN'T know about Yamato prior to knowing Oden, because none of it works without that grounding.

If you're willing to go with "this character was mentioned five pages before they appeared, in the third chapter" as foreshadowing for Zoro, or Nami who was literally in the first color spread of the first chapter, then Yamato was teased much further in advance of his actual appearance.

If your foreshadowing standard really is as simple as "mentioned at least five pages in advance before appearing" then Yamato certainly qualifies.
    Last edited by Robby; October 20th, 2021 at 01:03 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    If THAT is your standard of foreshadowing, then Ace showed Luffy a vivre card 20 years ago, and foreshadowed having been to Wano during the War.

Or, how about Kaidou mentioned his disobedient some like ten chapters before Yamato actually showed up, the pages immediately after they talked about delaying Jinbe's toast.

If you're willing to go with "this character was mentioned two pages before they appeared" as foreshadowing for Zoro, or Nami who was in the first color spread, then Yamato was teased plenty in advance.
    The Vivre Card being made by Yamato is 100% a retcon. Lola told the Straw Hats Vivre Cards were made in a specific location. Oda clearly changed his mind about that by the time Sabo made Luffy's Vivre Card on Dressrosa.
    Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

"ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS" - The Great Pirate Edward Newgate

Quote Originally Posted by Vongola_Boss_XI View Post
    The Vivre Card being made by Yamato is 100% a retcon.
    Sure. Won't argue that.

So's Sabo. He's still officially Luffy's second brother all the same who was never hinted at until right before Ace died.

It's still part of the story as we now have it. Retcon or not, its retroactively tying this current thing to an older thing.

"Oh, there was a third brother named Sabo, and THAT'S why Ace's tatoo has a crossed out S! That's way better than it being a funny thing where a drunk sailor just misspelled it. It's not a cute charming quirk, it's deep dramatic backstory!"

See also Sanji's second backstory, the X marks when the crew said farewell to Vivi, Hiriluk's dream being to turn mountains into cherry blossoms, most applications of haki, and any number of other things including Warlords and Supernovas. .

Oda retrofits stuff all the time, it's not always planned decades in advance. Sometimes it is! But its not a requisite.. Its still part of the story, and he chooses to fit current developments to older ones, even if he didn't intend them as such at the time.

If you start pulling apart at that thread, the entire story collapses.

In this particular case, barring an interview telling us, we'll never know how much detail Oda had in mind for Ace's Wano journey or who he met, but he DID have Ace visiting Wano in mind a decade ago.

And making the vivre card probably wasn't intended to be a hint, but it was turned into one. Anyone doing a re-read of the series will now get to that scene all the way back when, and think "Hey, Yamato gave him that card" 80 volumes in advance. It wasn't a thing then, but it is now.

The same way now if you reread Marineford, you know in the back of your head that Sabo exists, and having lost that one brother already is part of what is driving Luffy SO hard, or that Ace's defending him is instinctive. It's a layer that has been added that's just there now, regardless of when Oda thought of it.
    Last edited by Robby; October 20th, 2021 at 01:32 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Default Re: Will it be devastating if a new crewmate displays more strength than Zoro and San

Premise: "power levels scales" is bullcrap made up by fans, and these kind of debates have no reason to exist. Having said that, I don't think it's gonna happen, mainly because both Zoro and Sanji will certainly get stronger as well. Regardless, it won't be devastating at all.

Default Re: Will it be devastating if a new crewmate displays more strength than Zoro and San

I mean I dunno about devasting. I just believe Oda loves Zoro and will always have him be the ultimate badass of the crew. So I dont seem ever notbe portrayed has #2

Wano joining the WG at the end of the arc is almost a given now.

First of all, its kinda the only way to get the whole "open the borders" thing done.
    Also I don't think "let's now try a different pirate overlord" would fly well with the average wanoese.

Second, marine warships are going there.
    Right after teasing the new superweapon that made them instantly confident about dismantling the Warlord fleet.
    Knowing full wel there are currently 3 emperors with their crew there.
    This was announced by very bad guy Lucci, in an ominous tone.
    It's pretty clear it's going to be "Wano joins or else". And new Shogun Momo knows all too well that Wano can't handle a war against the world in its current state, if ever.
    He's going to help the SH escape in any possible way, but he's going to compromise with the WG, demostrating his leadership qualities.
    BM pirates are there just to be worfed, Yonko era is over anyway.

Any other outcome i can think of based on what we know would require quite the huge amount of bullshit to float.

So yeah, Yams got no place on wano after his father's fall. Not that he'd stay even if he had one anyway.
    Curiosity has its own reason for existing

The last outright corrupt evil marine that was terrorizing innocent people purely for the sake of it we had was... Axe hand Morgan?
    Nezumi? But still a while ago

Discovered Stowaway astagadragon's Avatar

Wano annexed by WG will be very sad tho, I'd reckon the fleet will be annihilated by something before they can make a landfall. Hey, maybe drop Onigashima on them?

Luffy and co expelling WG invasion army AFTER defeating Kaido (and maybe Big Mom)? They will be very afraid going in again
    "The rain has ceased, and we have been graced by another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it." - Elidibus

Sure. Won't argue that.

So's Sabo. He's still officially Luffy's second brother all the same who was never hinted at until right before Ace died.

It's still part of the story as we now have it. Retcon or not, its retroactively tying this current thing to an older thing.

"Oh, there was a third brother named Sabo, and THAT'S why Ace's tatoo has a crossed out S! That's way better than it being a funny thing where a drunk sailor just misspelled it. It's not a cute charming quirk, it's deep dramatic backstory!"

See also Sanji's second backstory, the X marks when the crew said farewell to Vivi, Hiriluk's dream being to turn mountains into cherry blossoms, most applications of haki, and any number of other things including Warlords and Supernovas. .

Oda retrofits stuff all the time, it's not always planned decades in advance. Sometimes it is! But its not a requisite.. Its still part of the story, and he chooses to fit current developments to older ones, even if he didn't intend them as such at the time.

If you start pulling apart at that thread, the entire story collapses.

In this particular case, barring an interview telling us, we'll never know how much detail Oda had in mind for Ace's Wano journey or who he met, but he DID have Ace visiting Wano in mind a decade ago.

And making the vivre card probably wasn't intended to be a hint, but it was turned into one. Anyone doing a re-read of the series will now get to that scene all the way back when, and think "Hey, Yamato gave him that card" 80 volumes in advance. It wasn't a thing then, but it is now.

The same way now if you reread Marineford, you know in the back of your head that Sabo exists, and having lost that one brother already is part of what is driving Luffy SO hard, or that Ace's defending him is instinctive. It's a layer that has been added that's just there now, regardless of when Oda thought of it.
    I mean, Oda thinks some things ahead of time, probably because of working backwards from the ending like having a long lost friend of Brook appear at Reverse Mountain, while other times you really just get the feeling he's just thinking up of a lot of ideas and taking a while to choose the best ones, like how he debuted Doflamingo in 2002, the guy responsible for killing Law's love one Rocinante, even though Law apparently wasn't created until 2008. Law being also the one who rescued Luffy from Marineford makes you wonder what the alternative Oda must have been thinking when he drew Ace getting captured by Blackbeard during Post-Enies Lobby.

Usopp's dad being Yasopp who is in Luffy's favorite crew.
    There was an Oden in Luffy's favorite crew too

Robin was introduced as the mysterious enemy that was actually helpful. Her ability to read Ponegliffs alluded to the mystery of how to get to One Piece.
    You're not even mentioning what was the foreshadowing for Robin here, you jumped straight to "she was introduced".

I been actually thinking that a lot of people have got their minds set on 'next crewmate should be subtly and slowly worked on', that Yamato coming in and making it crystal clear from the very beggining just feels like a disturbance in the force. We now know that there was 10 people total in Oda's earliest sketch of the crew, which is kinda contradictory to Luffy's statement about wishing to recruit 10 people(which was recently addressed by the Magazine and clarified Luffy isn't counting himself on that one), but my point is, can't the author just be allowed to surprise us all readers by just doing what he's doing right now? I would say, heck yeah can!

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

Also, I really liked the Yamato/Trunks analogy, really strong guy shows up to be the last Z warrior, seems to be very close in strenght to Goku at first, but Vegeta and Gohan surpass him eventualy, cover volume art immediately displays him as if he was part of the crew, great hairstyle, everyone notices how he looks like Bulma from the begginin, great genes from his dad too, apparently knows the whole story but things develop differently, and oh heeey, big bad villain related to inhuman experimentations.

Oda does a lot of DB references here and there, it would seem to me, this is just him paying huge respect to Toriyama(yet again).

Kinda disagree with that because that outcome will kind of kill the promise of the party for which they delayed the Jinbe toast.
    That said on paper it seems like a feasible thing that could happen and a promise delayed is a kind of subversion that I find somewhat easier to swallow than some of the stuff other people suggested like Oden actually having survived months back. So while I disagree with it I do think it's within the realm of realistic possibilities.
    But for now I just very strongly believe in that Oda is going to follow through in usual fashion and we're going to get that party in the end.
    The way the festival has been introduced, all the little nods of the old guard changing for the new, what this victory for Luffy will mean to the world, etc it just would strike me as a very untypical Oda to end this big arc he's build up for so many years in a capitulation of Wano to the government and not a huge victory for Luffy and a celebratory closer on their victory.

Nope, I'm pretty sure Zoro and Sanji will always be at least as strong as anyone else on the crew (except maybe Luffy).

My main concern would be as the "strong" half of the crew gets stronger the other half gets increasingly side-lined, Oda has always struggled with giving some of the crew their moments to shine and I would hate for that to get worse.

Having gained the right to vote, I voted "No"... I don't find any argument against Yamato joining the crew to be very convincing, but I still have difficulty seeing it happening. I hope I'm wrong, though!

Honestly, I think it's a non-issue.

I view Zoro as more or less on par with Yamato already - he acquitted himself pretty well in the group fight against Kaidou and Big Mom, and even if he's a bit behind Yams at the moment, we all know he's on an upward trajectory. And while I don't pretend to know how whatever's going on with Sanji is going to play out, it's clear it is intended to serve as a significant power-up for him.

Operating on the assumption that Yamato is joining the crew, while he is clearly extremely strong and will obviously get stronger going forward, the benefit of Yams being introduced late is that he hasn't had the opportunity to show everything he is capable of yet. He can still "get by" for another arc or so on the strength and skills he currently has before needing to ramp up to the same kind of "growth rate" that the other Strawhat heavy-hitters (Zoro and Sanji, in particular) operate at, and that gives them plenty of time to surpass him.

Welcome to Rokkenjima.

I wanted to vote “yes”, as I believe 100% Yamato is going to be the next nakama, and probably won’t be the last. But to think of it, I also want to vote “no” just for fun purpose

Monster trio is a thing of the past. Now Zoro and Sanji are the Wings of the Pirate King, which essentially mean they will still get the big fights and be shown as the two major crewmembers. Strenght and power scale are not relevant to that configuration anymore.

As strength and power are part of Zoro's dream, personality and character, I couldn't easily accept him to not be the strongest after Luffy. On the other side Sanji's role is cook and strategy and I always saw him as the third strongest just cause there's not any stronger yet. I never saw their rivalry as a strength driven one, but more about personalities.
    Quote Originally Posted by rayleigh92 View Post
    Carrot sneaked on the Sunny when they left Zou, not asking or requesting anyone. IF Carrot is going to join, I expect something like that, with the crew ready to leave Wano, all of them beginning to party for new nakama Yamato and then "wha-t?! Carrot is near Luffy

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    With the WG threat now being revealed, I feel that plot point could very well be resolved by the people of Wano not wanting Luffy to get involved, but to defend their country themselves. Cue Yamato chosing to side Wano in this and the scene of the two guardian deities, the dragon and the wolf, coming to teach the invaders a lesson.
    You're naive if you think the Straw Hats won't stay and fight. The WG is not a looming threat, but literally at the doorstep.

It wasn't a problem before because the previous islands the Straw Hats went through were already WG-alligned. The Straw Hats just do what they want to, and they won't leave until the matter is solved.

It's also very possible that something impedes the WG-fleet from arriving. Shanks, the SH fleet, Big Mom Pirates, etc.
    Last edited by King Cannon; October 20th, 2021 at 07:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthAsthma View Post
    Kinda disagree with that because that outcome will kind of kill the promise of the party for which they delayed the Jinbe toast.
    That said on paper it seems like a feasible thing that could happen and a promise delayed is a kind of subversion that I find somewhat easier to swallow than some of the stuff other people suggested like Oden actually having survived months back. So while I disagree with it I do think it's within the realm of realistic possibilities.
    But for now I just very strongly believe in that Oda is going to follow through in usual fashion and we're going to get that party in the end.
    The way the festival has been introduced, all the little nods of the old guard changing for the new, what this victory for Luffy will mean to the world, etc it just would strike me as a very untypical Oda to end this big arc he's build up for so many years in a capitulation of Wano to the government and not a huge victory for Luffy and a celebratory closer on their victory.
    This can also be a good opportunity for having Luffy lose big, second defeat since the split. The party will still happen.
    Hidden:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamiel View Post
    Try out my first game! All feedback is welcome, enjoy and thanks. Heroine: Kiku
    Hidden:

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Momonosuke was physically aged to his rightful age. The wedding doesn't have to be immediate. They can be engaged until Momo matures mentally.
    So 10 years at the earliest in the story.

Yeah, that's not happening.

Not to mention Oda doesn't bother to do romance. He didn't create Yamato just so he could have Kozuki children. That's some weird fanfic and shipping.

Nothing in the story points to that happening right now.

I believe Oda will foreshadow who joins the crew especially this late in the series. That has been the trend if you go back. I expect more foreshadowing not less.
    No reason to argue with your beliefs especially when its already been pointed out what you're saying about foreshadowing isn't even correct.

What do you infer will be Yamato's ship role? Even if someone didn't know Robin's or Jinbe's roles hints were there.
    Logkeeper/scribe like Oden was, pirate apprentice, cabin boy. I'm open to anything. See ppl suggest stuff like ship guard or stonemason.

It's w/e to me cuz I know Oda will just make the position after the fact. Like he did with helmsman or like how he revealed poneglyphs were important after the fact.

I don't agree about there being hints for a helmsman or archeologist/poneglyph translator. The strawhats didn't need one despite the erratic grandline weather. They had Nami and that was enough. Knock up streams, Florian triangle, ship coating to go underwater, all didn't nedd the best helmsman. Even after entering the New World we don't even get anything like Franky saying the Sunny is going to need someone better to steer the ship in dangerous situations. Jimbe's role is presented as a total bonus to the crew.

When poneglyphs were first introduced the only importance we knew they had is they held a country's history and they gave the location of the ancient weapons. One Piece isn't about finding that so there were no hints that the crew would need someone like Robin. She showed her importance and relevance to the main plot after she joined in the next arc.

Many of the Beast Pirates will not be following Kaido after this battle.
    Doesn't mean they'll follow Yamato or join Momo.
    These leftovers may be welcomed to join under Shogun Momo as refugees. Rather Wano soldiers than WG prisoners.
    The Beast pirates without Kaido are not refugees. Do you know what a refugee is? Refugees don't invade and take over countries, ruin them, and then when beaten ask to serve the new rulers as soldiers. They're pirates. Most of them not brainwashed by Tama will leave, some may quit being pirates, other may join Big Mom, some may try to disguise themselves and stay in Wano.

Only Beast pirates that night get to stay are the ones that have already switched sides after Queen was about to kill all of them.

Diversity as in uniqueness. Yamato shtick is all things Oden but yet doesn't even believe they are the most Oden person.[/quote]
    So what?

Why does he have to believe he's the most Oden for the shtick to work?

Plus another SH crewmate possesses one of Oden's swords.
    This doesn't matter.
    It makes me question who is Yamato without Oden.
    Son of Kaido
    Oni
    Potential honorary samurai
    Potential explorer and adventurer
    Mythical zoan devil fruit user
    Really strong fighter
    And a bunch of other character traits

Momo was an 8 year old boy who timetraveled 20 years into the future. Now Momo has been physically aged to match the timeline. The laws of reality cannot be taken so seriously in One Piece. This includes relationships between a child in man's body and an oni woman.
    You are the only one suggesting this weird pedophile adjacent pairing though.

Its not so much the laws of reality I'm going by just my natural reaction to the scenario you are suggesting.

I don't think Oda is going to do that at all or anything like it.

If they did actually ended up together it wouldn't be as terrible as you're making it out to be. Momo has already done questionable things to Nami and Robin as a perverted 8 year old.
    This is not the same thing and you should know this.

Yamato being attracted to a grown Momo that resembles Oden is a possibility.
    No its not.

Just sounds like dumb weird fan fix shipping.

All of Wano's ninjas, samurai, and people AFTER WAR aren't enough to scare off the WG. Adding remnants of the Beast Pirates and Yamato helps in protecting Wano.
    You're talking like the minks and pirates will all be gone.

The minks already have a strong connection to the samurai so they're not gonna ditch them.

Yamato on top of that is not going to make a difference.

The

Yamato joining the Kozuki Clan seems fitting for a character who idolizes Kozuki Oden.
    Except what Yamato wants to do and has clearly stated is that he wants to explore and go on adventures like Oden did.

Its not fitting at all for him to just have a family and ignore his dreams.

Yamato may have the choice be to leave Wano with Luffy or stay in Wano to bond with Momonosuke about Oden. Would Oden leave Momonosuke again when Wano needs him most?
    There is no choice.

Yamato already said he wants to leave with Luffy after learning Momo was alive.

If Oden had never gone adventures and saw the world like Yamato he would definitely leave Momo behind like he did with Roger.

I noticed you have not voted. Are you unsure?
    I don't care that much about the poll. Pretty sure I didn't vote in the last one either.

My posts speak for themselves.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information