View Poll Results: Is Yamato joining the crew?

Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

109 80.74%
  • No

26 19.26%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

Quote Originally Posted by Vongola_Boss_XI View Post
    I don't think that would be narratively satisfying and it's a bold assumption when we don't know what Uranus is at this point in time. But I would guess the Ancient Weapons are three pieces meant to work together. I don't think 'one gets each' would work.
    Besides the fact that Luffy is already allied with one of them. And we know the other one is a warship. I think Blackbeard should get Pluton. The government already should poses Uranus, which helped them acquire power.
    Hidden:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamiel View Post
    Try out my first game! All feedback is welcome, enjoy and thanks. Heroine: Kiku
    Hidden:

Quote Originally Posted by Roosta View Post
    Brook was teased years in advance? When was that?
    They met Laboon and were told the story of the Rumba pirates way early on, and Luffy wanted a musician from he start.

Brook *specifically* wasn't teased in advance, but the setup for his backstory was, so it hit hard when we finally met him.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Vongola_Boss_XI View Post
    I don't think that would be narratively satisfying and it's a bold assumption when we don't know what Uranus is at this point in time. But I would guess the Ancient Weapons are three pieces meant to work together. I don't think 'one gets each' would work.
    Chiming in!

It just makes so much sense for me that there are three ancient weapons and three parties hurling towards the end: the WG, the Blackbeard pirates, and the Strawhats. With the Strawhats already having a connection with Poseidon, the other two weapons falling to the other two parties seems like a sensible way to go about it.

Sorry if it’s out of topic, but regarding the ancient weapons, I don’t know why but I have a speculation that there is the 4th and final ancient weapon: Saturn. When Pluton, Poseidon and Uranus are all activated, the true ultimate weapon of mass destruction, Saturn, will be activated as well.

Sounds a bit too reaching, but the 3 ancient weapons name are based on Sailor Moon’s outer senshi: Sailor Uranus, Sailor Neptune (Poseidon) and Sailor Pluto(Pluton). Each of them has a talisman which when all of three talismans are collected, will awaken the last senshi which is Sailor Saturn; the senshi of destruction and rebirth. I got this speculation since Odacchi pretty much likes to take references on other manga / animated movies.

Again, it’s just a speculation anyway.
    Last edited by Devil Child 78; October 22nd, 2021 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Child 78 View Post
    Sounds a bit too reaching, but the 3 ancient weapons name are based on Sailor Moon’s outer senshi: Sailor Uranus, Sailor Neptune (Poseidon) and Sailor Pluto(Pluton).
    Or, you know, ancient gods. That predate anime by a fair bit.

Poseidon is god of the sea, after all.

Uranus is the Greek god of the sky, and Pluto is the Underworld.

I suppose Oda could have gone with Caelus, Neptune, and Hades instead but its not quite got the same sound.
    Last edited by Robby; October 22nd, 2021 at 10:21 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Yeah, and the only other greek/Roman gods that fit are Jupiter (Zeus) and Mars (Aries).

Depending on where you lean either one could be a 4th weapon. One's all about war and the other top god.

I could see Enel coming back to Earth wielding Jupiter.
    Last edited by Zik; October 23rd, 2021 at 09:27 AM.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Or, you know, ancient gods. That predate anime by a fair bit.

Poseidon is god of the sea, after all.

Uranus is the Greek god of the sky, and Pluto is the Underworld.

I suppose Oda could have gone with Caelus, Neptune, and Hades instead but its not quite got the same sound.
    Indeed. But the thing is the big 3 Roman/Greek gods are Jupiter(Zeus), Neptune(Poseidon), and Pluto(Hades). That’s why I have that speculation, because instead of going with Jupiter, Oda decided to go with Uranus. It also kinda fits if there is a 4th ancient weapon, since 4 in Japanese is “death”

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    Yeah, and the only other greek/Roman gods that fit are Jupiter (Zeus) and Mars (Aries).

Depending on where you mean either one could be a 4th weapon. One's all about war and the other top god.

I could see Enel coming back to Earth wielding Jupiter.
    IMO it could be very interesting if the last / 4th ancient weapon is Venus/Aphrodite, since Venus is the only goddess whose name is used on the planets. Not to mention that she is the goddess of love and beauty, and instead her name becomes the last ancient weapon which incites war.

Indeed. But the thing is the big 3 Roman/Greek gods are Jupiter(Zeus), Neptune(Poseidon), and Pluto(Hades). That’s why I have that speculation, because instead of going with Jupiter, Oda decided to go with Uranus. It also kinda fits if there is a 4th ancient weapon, since 4 in Japanese is “death”
    r.
    So shouldn't Pluto be the 4th by that logic?

IMO it could be very interesting if the last / 4th ancient weapon is Venus/Aphrodite, since Venus is the only goddess whose name is used on the planets. Not to mention that she is the goddess of love and beauty, and instead her name becomes the last ancient weapon which incites war.
    I mean, Aphrodite is pretty much directly responsible for the Trojan War, mythically speaking... Also, she had a "war goddess" incarnation in the form of Aphrodite Areia.

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    The Greek god of death would be Thanatos, if I recall.

Welcome to Rokkenjima.

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Should be, but regarding my post especially with the point that the ancient weapons might be based on Sailor Moon’s outer senshi, Pluto’s power is time and space, while the death and rebirth is Saturn.

Ancient weapons are named after gods, that much was explicitly stated in manga so I'm sorry but I simply don't see the point in discussing this further. (especially in an unrelated thread)

Hints and foreshadowing aside , Yamato introduction, focus and development just feels like it's supposed to be amongst the protagonists. A lot of people called this with Jinbe back in Impel Down and Marineford, despite both of those arcs being packed to the brim with foes and allies, Luffy's relationship with Jinbe felt like there was more to come than just saving Ace together.

The moment we saw Jinbe remember Ace asking him to watchout for Luffy if he died seemed like something out of the ordinary at the time because it essentially implied intertwined fate beyond the incidents that were happening, but Jinbe himself acknowledge he didn't know the kid well enough to make a promise like that, yet he grew to respect and care for him as a friend and comrade. Then Amazon Lily happened and all bets were off , at the point the only excuse Oda could find to separate them was Luffy needed training from Rayleigh, but how things were going you could argue had the crew united right away , Jinbe would have followed Luffy. Factoring the un intentional history with Nami's tragic past and it's obvious there was narrative payoff to Jinbe joining the crew aside from making them more diverse.

Yamato has almost the same narrative set up as Jinbe and Robin to certain extent, they were all three either held captive for their beliefs, has knowledge of an impending change in the world, or befriended Ace and were intrigued by stories he told of his ambitious little brother. Yamato just bypasses the baggage Robin and Jinbe in particular came with at their time of travelling or wanting to travel with the crew. There isn't a secret clandestine organization after her, she doesn't have obligations to another Crew through alliance, she's just been waiting for her moment and it's finally here.

It'll definitely feel awkward towards the development of the character if after liberating Wano and finally seeing her dubious Father fall after all this time being abused and oppressed that she doesn't get to leave Wano with Luffy and Company to see what's out there.

Also calling this right now, first time Luffy uses Yamato's name correctly will probably be when he tells them to climb aboard the Sunny.
    Last edited by Blowfish; October 23rd, 2021 at 09:17 AM.

"The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terror"

Quote Originally Posted by Berry Rich View Post
    okay. Robin, as well as Hancock, were foreshadowed when Nami wore clothes like theirs.
    Eh, welp, you're really setting the bar like lowest-low right there.

Could there be a Nami wearing Japanese attires!?? Let's find out!!

Also, again, everything else you said about Robin, its stuff that came >after< she was introduced. The one and only "foreshadow"(sic) you've provided is the one I quoted..

With regards to Luffy not calling Yamato by her actual name right away, didn't it take Luffy all day to refer to Chopper by name, as well knowing Hancock for several days and still calling her the wrong name? Luffy has only known Yamato for less than a day after all. lol

I found the one and only proper pattern which irrefutably gives away the next Straw Hat crewmate nakama.

It's very simple and obvious. Look at the first prime numbers which are 2-3-5-7-11. If you look at the first three numbers, 2-3-5, and take the corresponding first syllables of the names, you get Zonasa. Googling it leads to an architecture college. If you now take 5-7-11, you get Saroshi. Why do you ask? Because if you google it, you get some German store which sells stuff you need for your house. Perfectly fitting the architecture theme.

Therefore, Shinobu is the next crewmember. There you have it.
    Forum user Bartholemew Bear passed away in a very moving and touching way. I, ARTEMlS, therefore carry on the Will of DArth for good unto its final fulfilment.

"Say my name, say my name,
    When everybody is around you,
    Say Yamato,
    Stop playing games.

Say my name, say my name,
    You acting kinda shady,
    By giving me a nickname
    When will it change?"
    Hidden:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamiel View Post
    Try out my first game! All feedback is welcome, enjoy and thanks. Heroine: Kiku
    Hidden:

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    They met Laboon and were told the story of the Rumba pirates way early on, and Luffy wanted a musician from he start.

Brook *specifically* wasn't teased in advance, but the setup for his backstory was, so it hit hard when we finally met him.
    Don't wanna derail the thread too much, but I think Brook was supposed to be Yorki in the chapter where we see them meeting Crocus. When we look at the concept art of Brook he was originally going to wear the cowboy hat, and I think Oda made up Yorki when he settled down on Brooks current design. So in a way, he did try to specifically tease Brook in advance. At least, when I'm right that Yorki was a last minute addition. :)

For comparison:

Spoiler:

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by Riccardo View Post
    Don't wanna derail the thread too much, but I think Brook was supposed to be Yorki in the chapter where we see them meeting Crocus. When we look at the concept art of Brook he was originally going to wear the cowboy hat, and I think Oda made up Yorki when he settled down on Brooks current design. So in a way, he did try to specifically tease Brook in advance. At least, when I'm right that Yorki was a last minute addition. :)

For comparison:

Yeah but Oda changed it so it doesn't count as foreshadowing at all.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Voted Yes, after voting noone will join in the last poll. I wonder how Oda will take Yamato into this crew. As Oden? As a women? We have some clashable perverts in the crew that are lusting after boobs/panties.
    “As I stand out here in the wonders of the unknown at Hadley, I sort of realize there’s a fundamental truth to our nature: Man must explore!” – David Scott, Moon

If Yamato does join the crew, I think Oda will have had it planned for a while, even if some of the details were worked out at the last minute. I like to think there's a chance that we'll see that there were hints that we don't yet understand... like Yamato could be more central to Kaido's backstory/motivation than we expect, or he could be the moon of Toki's prophecy. We just saw a good example of this, with Kid's missing arm having no known significance until we learned that Hawkins had made a decoy out of him. I'd bet that Oda planned the Killer/Hawkins/Kid situation planned since Kid lost his arm.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information