+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1,028: Brachiosnakeus

Default Re: Chapter 1,028: Brachiosnakeus

We have Zoro fights to be straightforward and boring. And most of Luffy's opponents are dull brick walls. It's more fun when there's... fun involved.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

It only makes sense to go from a Zoro chapter to a Sanji one, just to keep things even. The colour spread here is definitely going to go down as a favourite. Oda would be a Smash Bros fan, wouldn't he? A few of the costume shoutouts are obvious (and similar to the amiibo collab from years ago) but Jinbario is something I never knew how much I needed in my life.

Going back to Cipher Pol for more than just a numbers update was unexpected. My gut feeling is that Oda's setting things up for after the battle, we're not going to get more of this in the next few chapters. The World Government ships seem to be about as close to Wano as the Big Mom pirates (could they run into each other?) but as with Big Mom's crew, I don't think there's any chance of them making it up to Wano until after the Raid is done. Still, this setup is a sign of how close the end is going to be after Wano is done, if Oda's getting ready to immediately pit Luffy and the Government against each other. Some people are speculating they'll succeed in getting Robin to spark a final conflict, but there's no chance Oda would repeat Ennies Lobby that blatantly. This is more likely to call back to Robin's faith in her friends protecting her back on Zou.

Hey, what if the World Government forces arrive during Luffy's customary days of sleep after the big fight? Are we going to have a fun sequence in which either the Strawhats or the surviving Scabbards have to show what they can do without Luffy's help? There's some decent potential in that.

I'm not sure what Yamato thinks he can actually do about the explosives under the dome. It doesn't seem like the tech in this world would lend itself to complex bombs that can be made safe by taking fuses out or whatever. Wouldn't it be more like a big pile of gunpowder and nitroglycerin, liable to explode on impact? And weird to see two minor members of Law's crew just hanging around up on Onigashima. It was never really made clear how many of them he brought with him. The big guy looks like Jean Bart, who I thought was down on the Wano mainland, but maybe there's another large dude in the crew.

I'm amazed that Oda was able to top the Triceracopter so soon, but Brachiosnakeus sure has done it. There are just no words for Oda's insane creativity. Every part of that sequence was hilarious.

Sanji actually getting Vinsmoke powers is something I didn't expect at all. I'm not the biggest Sanji fan, so I don't have the deepest emotional involvement in his arc of being just human with a strong heart being ruined by bloodline superpowers or anything dramatic like that, but I hope Oda's got a plan for some future character beats following his acceptance or rejection of the new powers. Like I said, I haven't liked how Sanji's been written since basically Ennies Lobby, but I'm always open minded about Oda finding something better to do with him.

A slightly flatter chapter than the last few leading into the break, but Wano's climax is building, and we're close enough that Oda's starting to look at what comes after the battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    We have Zoro fights to be straightforward and boring. And most of Luffy's opponents are dull brick walls. It's more fun when there's... fun involved.
    For me when a dyno can turn into a snake that reminds me the feeling I have that Oda stopped caring about things making sense as long as he has his fun or get the end results he wants. And this who cares attitude is not one I enjoy much.

Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    For me when a dyno can turn into a snake that reminds me the feeling I have that Oda stopped caring about things making sense
    That's just what dinosaurs do! I thought this was a commonly known fact.

as long as he has his fun or get the end results he wants. And this who cares attitude is not one I enjoy much.
    1. Having gags in a manga series is not the same as a "who cares" attitude. Remember, we've had things like Buggy shooting himself or Luffy stealing Arlong's teeth or a guy trapped in a treasure chest or a dog turned into a bazooka since the start. One Piece has ALWAYS had goofy wacky stuff to it, that's part of the charm. Go back and look at Franky's earliest fights where he did tons of crazy shit. Or Zoro versus Kaku. Or any number of other moments.

2, Oda having fun and wanting to do the story is infinitely better than his being bored burned out wants to end it as soon as possible.

See also Dragonball. Where the Android saga was the most serious arc in the series, and also the most boring, dull, lifeless, and least interesting outside of the finale with Gohan. Then Toriyama was let off the leash and the Buu saga had actual fun again and it was a vast improvement.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I'm a bit let down that Oda has teased us with a number of tag team fights this raid and has followed through 0 of them making them 1on1 in the end.
    I would have massively appreciated a change of pace on that front instead of it falling into the familiar matchup patterns.
    That said I do like Queen a lot especially since Jack was such a disappointing presence I'm glad Queen has really filled one of the memorable villain spots this arc splendidly. Hope Oda can land with King too, who so far is being a wet noodle but at least got the whole Lunarian hook to him.
    I've been super anxious for weeks now to get to the big Kaido flashback that would mirror the one we got for Big Mom. But it seems like we'll have to finish the Zoro/Sanji fights first to get that.

Maybe it was said in the spoiler thread but apparently the cover page reuses an old video game. I know nothing about One Piece video games, so I can't tell more about it. Except I like the cover for once :-)

Lucci part is interesting, it seems we won't have our peaceful post arc party immediatly after animal kingdom crew is defeated. Once again, we are reminded of the key role of Robin for the end of serie. Oda has emphasized that point quite a lot in the arc already. I don't know what those ships contains but Lucci seems confident it can beat a weakened Kaidou. Probably this new weapon Vegapunk has invented.
    We know that it's not Kaidou who will win, but Zoro will be incapacitated and Luffy probably not in his best shape. So who knows where it is going, especially since there are also Big Mum crew lurking in the area

I won't be original in saying Queen is hilarious. Definitely the best character of the arc. It seems Oda was disappointed he couldn't create stupid smiles anymore so he invents crazy dinosaurs instead :-)
    Sanji is having his power up. Him not wanting it is the interesting part. As Kishido pointed, this new power has the countereffect of making the emotions disappear so I'm curious how Oda will handle all that.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    Since they've made Wano a target, even if they are driven back temporarily, they won't suddenly give up, especially since they no longer even care if Kaido is victorious or not.

All of that to say, Yamato's DF as the "Guardian Deity of Wano Country" means that the character may have more to do to protect Wano even if/when Kaido loses.
    So you really think after all of the other allies leave Yamato can protect Wano against the world government?

Also I think you misread something. The order is to make Wano a part of the world government and under their direct control by force if Kaido loses. The ships are being sent in case that unlikely scenario (according to them) happens.

In the scenario where Kaido wins, those ships are making an about face.

I'm not sure where you're getting the world government does not care if Kaido is victorious or not and want Wano at all costs.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    As Kishido pointed, this new power has the countereffect of making the emotions disappear so I'm curious how Oda will handle all that.
    Something that crossed my mind reading your post: could Pudding use her powers to make Sanji "remember" emotions again, perhaps? There's definitely more to explore in their relationship, and I could see her powers be relevant in this scenario. It could make for a beautiful sequence, and mirror the fact she took away his memories for his sake on Whole Cake Island.

Love these wacky dino abilities!

I'm hoping Sanji remains conflicted over using his new powers, it'll be a waste of all that juicy character drama if he just goes "Woot! I'm a Superhero!" in the follow up chapters.

Hah. Queen once again showing he's the most interesting/entertaining member of the crew ( along with Ulti), his DF, and how he seperates himself is just crazy... i dunno how one would even make such crazy mods to themselves.
    Insane.

Kishishi. Yo. Ho. Ho. BekaDidAct's Avatar

sooooo. When Moria?

Moria the Great

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Please don't do another Rescue Robin arc, I wanna see Elbaph after this.
    But now robin is in the safe hands of SH's. It could be SH against CP0 for now.. or SH flee to elbaf or whatever next destination while resting their body.
    Especially zoro and luffy.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by LightningAce View Post
    Hah. Queen once again showing he's the most interesting/entertaining member of the crew ( along with Ulti), his DF, and how he seperates himself is just crazy... i dunno how one would even make such crazy mods to themselves.
    Insane.
    Lol queen is one of my favorite villain for now. He can't stop making beyond crazy acts. That wacko move separating his head, neck and bringing out a missle that can be instructed by his voice but lacking identification in differentiating between an order and not an order is just silly.. is so one piece lol.

Quote Originally Posted by BekaDidAct View Post
    That's a question we'd all want to see answered.

His last cameo (present-time) was a little over 100 chapters ago...
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

I now suspect that some of Lucci's old mates are imprisoned and only he and Kaku are in CP0 to keep them alive.
    “When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.”

Discovered Stowaway ArseneWenger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    For me when a dyno can turn into a snake that reminds me the feeling I have that Oda stopped caring about things making sense as long as he has his fun or get the end results he wants. And this who cares attitude is not one I enjoy much.
    Huh!!!!!
    Did you completely forget Luffy vs Buggy, Luffy vs Crocodile, Luffy vs Enel, Zoro vs Kaku, DUVAL, Nami vs Doublefinger??

This IS OP. This has been Oda since forever.
    Whichever side wins becomes the Justice.

Queen's line to Sanji "You're already dead." might be Oda's homage to Fist of the North Star, one of his favorite mangas since its protagonist's signature phrase is also "You're already dead". BTW, Queen looks a bit similar to a villain named Heart-sama in FNS.

Oda's interview about Jump app in 2016: "Hundred Rending Fists" attack in Fist of the North Star impressed me the most since it literally blew up a human's body. My favorite character is Rei. I loved him so much that I quit reading the manga when he died.
    Spoiler:

I think Yamato rushing to get to the explosives which is not something we as an audience deem an important task, while we can sneakily see some Heart Pirates that shouldn't be on Onigashima at the moment introduces us to the actual point of this story beat: Caribou, who along with the Heart Pirates snatched a ride on Momo, absorbing said explosives in his bottomless swamp, making himself a threat to all factions.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    Maybe it was said in the spoiler thread but apparently the cover page reuses an old video game. I know nothing about One Piece video games, so I can't tell more about it. Except I like the cover for once :-)

https://images-ext-1.discordapp.net/.../ME44H6A_o.jpg

Lucci part is interesting, it seems we won't have our peaceful post arc party immediatly after animal kingdom crew is defeated. Once again, we are reminded of the key role of Robin for the end of serie. Oda has emphasized that point quite a lot in the arc already. I don't know what those ships contains but Lucci seems confident it can beat a weakened Kaidou. Probably this new weapon Vegapunk has invented.
    We know that it's not Kaidou who will win, but Zoro will be incapacitated and Luffy probably not in his best shape. So who knows where it is going, especially since there are also Big Mum crew lurking in the area

I won't be original in saying Queen is hilarious. Definitely the best character of the arc. It seems Oda was disappointed he couldn't create stupid smiles anymore so he invents crazy dinosaurs instead :-)
    Sanji is having his power up. Him not wanting it is the interesting part. As Kishido pointed, this new power has the countereffect of making the emotions disappear so I'm curious how Oda will handle all that.
    Great find!

I actually thought it was a shame that none of the girls were put in a Samus Suit.

For queen it makes sense because he is a robot, Like how general franky splits into parts, tank+ motorcycle. But for sasaki it only makes sense If queen modified his body too, only the neck part since his belly is still soft.

Now it's time for sanji to rescue Robin since he got her in trouble in the first place and he still needs to get his roof battle equivalent, Zoro got that and king. And at this point, sanji is so broken he can likely solo Lucci, kaku and everyone in cp0.
    https://imgur.com/MyjRSWw

Quote Originally Posted by uniaka ikuzakas View Post
    For queen it makes sense because he is a robot, Like how general franky splits into parts, tank+ motorcycle. But for sasaki it only makes sense If queen modified his body too, only the neck part since his belly is still soft.
    The thing is that Queen insists that Brachiosnakeus is pure dino power, not a modification. Only if he's trolling that it could be a robot thing.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information