+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1,027: Danger Beyond Imagining

Default Re: Chapter 1,027: Danger Beyond Imagining

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    On the other hand, what does the revelation about the castle being packed with explosives mean after Oda repeatedly emphasised that it's been set on fire and the flames are spreading...? Maybe an explosion of that kind could be just the solution Oda needs for the issue of Kaido being too strong to let live but not wanting Luffy to make an unambiguous onscreen kill. Kaido, barely conscious after being beaten up by Luffy, might even reject the chance to evacuate the island alongside everyone else (maybe onto the top of Mount Fuji) to accept it as the memorable death he wanted
    I love how you describe the scene and I could completely see a weakened Kaido (insert flashback and getting punched hard enough gives him a change of heart) drive his ticking bomb of an island on top of Mount Fuji for a memorable explosion. I love it, I really do, but...Well, Oda having made the story the way he did, the thought of anyone who's anyone - and especially that guy - dying to an explosion in One Piece, ...It makes me cringe to imagine how it's going to be argued about for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Zoro needs to watch where he aims that thing

https://i.imgur.com/PPRaHqm.jpg
    Really makes me think why Oda felt the need to have Zoro use a new attack to propel himself back to the island.
    One of Zoro's Pound Cannon attacks would be believable enough to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Seafarer33 View Post
    I love how you describe the scene and I could completely see a weakened Kaido (insert flashback and getting punched hard enough gives him a change of heart) drive his ticking bomb of an island on top of Mount Fuji for a memorable explosion. I love it, I really do, but...Well, Oda having made the story the way he did, the thought of anyone who's anyone - and especially that guy - dying to an explosion in One Piece, ...It makes me cringe to imagine how it's going to be argued about for decades.
    Oh god, I didn't think of the Pell comparisons. The community would be memeing him as the world's true strongest creature until roughly the end of time, and Oda will have completely earned that treatment.

I'd love to see him dodging pointed SBS questions on the issue.

A Zoro battle with actual back-and-forth attacks and where he's having trouble... this is awesome! It's still a bit tainted by that whole revival medicine deal, as awesome as that rooftop battle was in hindsight I think it was a mistake to bring Zoro there. But whatever, I'm actually excited for this match.

Yamato continues being wonderful. I love his outlook on things, he gets Luffy - and in a refreshing way that doesn't feel like the passive devotion of his crew. And I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm enjoying Momo as well. Dragon Momo has always been leagues more interesting than his human form by virtue of seeing a mythical beast acting like an eight year old and Oda is taking full advantage of that. If Momo had ran around in his human form I don't think this would be half as entertaining.

That panel when Yamato bonks him on the head is priceless.

Fantastic chapter, a definite step up from the last ones.
    Wano Predictions
    Spoiler:

So this week I hope for Sanji fighting Queen on some awesome panels. Zoro vs King seem to be delivering and I have high hopes for Sanji showing off his skills and showing more of Raid Suit capabilities before his genes fully awaken within next few chapters..

Panels with King properly shown how insanely strong he is. After this arc I guess that CP0 and Admirals will be next big enemies before Big Mom Pirates vs Strawhats happens on Elbaf..

What a fun little chapter.

It even looks like we're allowed to have fun again with Zoro battles, who would have thought.
    If King had been built up as charachter even an half measure of what we had with Queen would have been even better, but eh, spilt milk. Also yeah, pity it's not 2v2, would have been neat.

Definetly not a fan of people just keep leaving Luffy 1v1 with Kaido, going "yeah you got this, you're the only one who can do it!" despite his questionable track record at this point. It's really dragonbally. At least Yamato was given a semi-reasonable task to leave, unlike Law back in the day.

Big Momo is funny.
    Last edited by Alfiere; October 4th, 2021 at 05:51 AM.
    Curiosity has its own reason for existing

Quote Originally Posted by Watch-man View Post
    So this week I hope for Sanji fighting Queen on some awesome panels. Zoro vs King seem to be delivering and I have high hopes for Sanji showing off his skills and showing more of Raid Suit capabilities before his genes fully awaken within next few chapters..
    Come on, don't set yourself up for disappointment, it's Sanji after all. Deep down you know it's coming, he will either be too weak to finish the job (cue Zoro intervention) or catch the sight of a beautiful lady and faint right then right there

*Hiyori appears
    *Sanji is distracted
    *Sanji suffers from daze
    *Queen is dazed
    *Sanji and Queen are knocked back from nose-bleed
    *Queen transforms into erect Brachiosaurus
    *Sanji evolves into Ero-Sanji

*Battle progresses*

Quote Originally Posted by Alfiere View Post
    Definetly not a fan of people just keep leaving Luffy 1v1 with Kaido, going "yeah you got this, you're the only one who can do it!" despite is questionable track record at this point. It's really dragonbally. At least Yamato was given a semi-reasonable task to leave, unlike law bacvk in the day.
    I understand why these match ups keep happening, but I agree that it would be nice if we could get a team-up against the big bad sometime (and not just a "look I'm helping" at the beginning of the fight like with Law or more recently the supernovas and Yamato). Oars was bloody amazing and a good example of how Luffy could shine even if it was a team effort. It's a shame we never got more of that. In my perfect world Luffy would need help to beat Kaido and not have the honour of defeating an emperor by himself until Shanks or Blackbeard (or substituting for that, any of the admirals). That'd be a nice growth curve for him.
    Wano Predictions
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Zar View Post
    That panel when Yamato bonks him on the head is priceless.
    There is something amazingly entertaining about a gigant dragon getting dope slapped.

Like if the three stooges where mythological lizard creatures.

I still don't agree with people saying 9 people are going to come together and defeat Kaido. Especially not after this chapter, which explicitly reiterates that only Luffy can beat him/finish him off.

I maintain that the "prophecy" (again, it's not a real one) was only to acknowledge the Scabbards, that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zar View Post
    I understand why these match ups keep happening, but I agree that it would be nice if we could get a team-up against the big bad sometime (and not just a "look I'm helping" at the beginning of the fight like with Law or more recently the supernovas and Yamato). Oars was bloody amazing and a good example of how Luffy could shine even if it was a team effort. It's a shame we never got more of that. In my perfect world Luffy would need help to beat Kaido and not have the honour of defeating an emperor by himself until Shanks or Blackbeard (or substituting for that, any of the admirals). That'd be a nice growth curve for him.
    To be fair, he ultimately did need help to beat Kaido - the Scabbards, Kidd, Law, Zoro and Killer, now Yamato all fought him, landed hits on him, exhausted him etc. They will all have had a hand in bringing Kaido down, even if Luffy is the one to land the final hit in the end. It will be a victory and an achievment for him, sure, but it will be one shared with many other top fighters.

Quote Originally Posted by Blissed View Post
    I still don't agree with people saying 9 people are going to come together and defeat Kaido. Especially not after this chapter, which explicitly reiterates that only Luffy can beat him/finish him off.

I maintain that the "prophecy" (again, it's not a real one) was only to acknowledge the Scabbards, that's it.
    I’ll disagree there because I feel if the prophecy had been fulfilled and the shadows were just the scabbards, the story itself would confirm it somehow, most likely via the narrator or a character reminding the reader of it.

Since Toki died in front of the people to deliver the prophecy, I think the prophecy will be fulfilled in front of the people.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

I think so too.

I'd hazard we've seen all of the shadows in action already, I don't see Oda bringing a new character into the mix before the fights end, but there will be a clear mention that "these" are the Nine Shadows.
    And it doesn't have to be an actual attack, the prophecy is that they will save Wano, not that they will all deliver the final blow to Kaidou at the same time, and right now Kaidou is not only a dude fighting but also floating island about to land on the capital, and don't forget Orochi is also a part of the tirany that holds Wano.

The big final scene of the fight will include Kaidou down, Orochi down, and Onigashima landing safely, with nine characters standing tall above it.
    Then, we party!!

Btw, i've been thinking and since Wano is closed off from the world these nine shadows can actually be that. Shadows and symbols and not focused on actual individuals.
    So the shadow isn't Luffy, it's his Gear 4 bound mode, which resembles a guardian deity, replacing Hyogoro's young self, who also looked like one.

Luffy is a type of Nio guardian deity, Momo is a dragon, Yamato is a guardian wolf, Marco is a phoenix, Zoro is a Samurai, and that's 5...
    Anyone else wanna chime in on this theory? I can see Law and Kidd being part of it, maybe even Killer, since they were all on the rooftop, but not what archtype they could hold. Tama as a beast master? Hey, Japan invented Pokemon, beast masters are a national symbol for them.
    Last edited by FolhaS; October 4th, 2021 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Riddler View Post
    To be fair, he ultimately did need help to beat Kaido - the Scabbards, Kidd, Law, Zoro and Killer, now Yamato all fought him, landed hits on him, exhausted him etc. They will all have had a hand in bringing Kaido down, even if Luffy is the one to land the final hit in the end. It will be a victory and an achievment for him, sure, but it will be one shared with many other top fighters.
    Let's be real, anything anybody not named Luffy did to Kaido didn't and won't matter, nor will be acknowledged. It's his big moment.
    Now, I really don't expect Luffy will lose again, it's too big a responsibility on his shoulders now for him to drop the ball...
    But if he does, everybody mindlessly going "yup, the guy who recently lost twice to Kaido is the one I 100% trust to handle this he-wins-or-everybody-dies situation on his own" is going to look really stupid.
    Curiosity has its own reason for existing

Wonder what Shanks and Buggy did to piss off that lion

So, Momo's epic moment looks to be building up to him holding up the island alone when Kaidou faints. That leaves me with the thoughts:

First, it's a shame that Momo controlling Zou doesn't seem to be a moment later in the arc. Don't know if eventually it will be usefull, like Momo riding this huge elphant into the last battle. I also think Momo still has the role of forgiving Zou for whatever crime he commited in the past and letting him rest, so Momo will probably be kept in the story for a while, or have a return.

Also, the story is drawing up huge parallels between Momo and Shirahoshi. Both holding off a huge object from falling on an island, getting brave by being inspired by Luffy, and holding special powers. Don't know if that means that Momo will also be an ancient weapon or not, but he and Shirahoshi are keys to fulfilling the desires of ancient kingdom peoples (completing whatever Joy Boy couldn't or taking Noah to the sun)

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by Blissed View Post
    The chapter reiterates what Luffy wants not that it's the only thing that can happen.

The thing with that is if the prophecy wasn't real Oda would've never even brought it up via a character that can time travel.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Tengu guy still has to give Momo the Ame no Habakiri to which he'll use in his adult form aka Oden McOdenFaceJr and the mooks in the village will remark, "OMG, Oden and the nine shadows prophesized *swoon* *death from excitement*" End Act 18 of the Wano Arc.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfiere View Post
    But if he does, everybody mindlessly going "yup, the guy who recently lost twice to Kaido is the one I 100% trust to handle this he-wins-or-everybody-dies situation on his own" is going to look really stupid.
    Perhaps that would be the point being here should Luffy lose again.

Just think back to the people of the Flower Capital and how they gushed and assumed Oden would fix everything that time he stormed the castle. It's just one of many red flags that point to Luffy ( and others ) making serious blunders here by failing to team up, when the circumstances call for it. All things within balance.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information