+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Midnight Mass

Default Midnight Mass

Midnight Mass is one of the best TV shows I have seen in a long time.

The show is basically religious "horror". At first, a scoffed at the idea, because most movies based on this subject matter tend to be unoriginal, boring, and moralizing.

Midnight Mass is none of these things.

First of all, it explores religion, predominantly Christianity and Islam to a lesser extent, in such a fascinating and compelling way. I truly felt like I understood religion more after watching this.

Second, the creators do something incredibly fascinating with the concept of "Angels"
    Spoiler:
    They basically depict an ancient vampire like an angel, according to the main character

The show also has really fascinating and eye opening conversations regarding a tonne of things like addiction, death, racism. And at no point was it ever boring or did it feel like it was moralizing.

If you are religious at all. I think you will absolutely love this show. It does some interesting things with citing and interpreting scripture.

If you are not, I think you will also love this show, you just won't appreciate some of the more nuanced points being made about religion.

Please guys, watch this show so I can have somewhere to discuss it.
    Last edited by kevo_koma; September 28th, 2021 at 12:02 AM.
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

Default Re: Midnight Mass

Cmon OP, at least add a trailer

So sorry about that

I was just too excited to discuss it after completing it an hour ago
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

I finished it yesterday and it was fantastic. Hamish Linklater and Samantha Sloyan both deserve high consideration for whatever awards they give to television actors.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

Discovered Stowaway

The criticisms about the overly preachy stuff and excessive, tangential monologues are very valid, and that really brought things to a crashing halt without really adding anything. And the whole finale just dragged on and on and on. When it's at a point where you know what's going to happen, and there's no way to deviate from the inevitable, it's just annoying to essentially watch it unfold in slow motion for all it's worth. I guess the writer had that in common with Stephen King, not always good at making endings. So, up to the seventh and final episode, I was decently pleased with it.

Midnight Mass references in Gerald's Game and Hush.

Love the work that Mike Flanagan keeps churning out. Looking forward to his future projects

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information