+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1,026: The Pivotal Clash

Default Re: Chapter 1,026: The Pivotal Clash

When you think about it, when hasn't fandoms been full of fans bitching about the very thing they are fans about?

I don't remember a time when APforum users didn't thought they could do a better job than Oda.

That's an essential part of hanging around these kinda places.

I liked the chapter btw, good art and fun moments. Thats where my thought process about it ends. Maybe i'm a simpleton.
    LIE
    CHEAT STEAL
    KILL WIN

Criticism is not hate.

One can enjoy a story while finding flaws in it. No author is perfect. And an unsatisfying chapter does not make a series bad.

One can find a plot point flawed, or the pacing off, while still enjoying the overall story.

Also, reading weekly means that some weeks may be really underwhelming, because we don’t know what’s ahead.

There’s a complete difference between finding flaws in a work And hating it.

That said, this is one of the most underwhelming chapters in the last few years, IMO. There’s things in there that were set up years ago and the conclusion is really underwhelming. I hope there’s at least some more resolution (not fighting) for those plots ahead.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

My stance on the corner cutting so far is that I'm for it, not necessarily on principle, but because so far it hasn't really affected anything I was interested in (I have almost zero interest in any mink character, Nekomamushi is fun and Pedro was great, but that's honestly it).

I personally think the raid has fixed (or is on its way to fixing) a lot of my issues with Wano (zero characterization of Kaido beyond being Orochi's muscle, minimal action, lack of personality throughout the beast pirates ranks, lack of momentum when it comes to Momo's character..etc), but I think the problem is that Oda underestimated how hard it is for the manga medium to accomodate so many characters, Marineford worked quite well, but it also utilized far more inconclusive clashes (which are not an option on a closed setting like Onigashima, esp given that Oda has positioned this raid as a must-win occasion).

Ultimately I don't expect that Wano arc would get more than a 7.5/10 from me, as in, it would take something really, really good happening for me to give it anymore points than that. This is mainly because acts 1 and 2 have honestly dragged a lot and contributed a lot to the high expectations that act 3 so far cannot match.

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    Criticism is not hate.

One can enjoy a story while finding flaws in it. No author is perfect. And an unsatisfying chapter does not make a series bad.

One can find a plot point flawed, or the pacing off, while still enjoying the overall story.

Also, reading weekly means that some weeks may be really underwhelming, because we don’t know what’s ahead.

There’s a complete difference between finding flaws in a work And hating it.

That said, this is one of the most underwhelming chapters in the last few years, IMO. There’s things in there that were set up years ago and the conclusion is really underwhelming. I hope there’s at least some more resolution (not fighting) for those plots ahead.
    You nailed it. Criticism (constructive one) is a form of love. I do not criticize an work for sake of demolishing it, but because I care about it (and I have a déformation professionnelle as having studied storytelling, art and as comics author myself). If I won't I'd already dropped it. There's a various amount of manga (and generally comics) I cared about until a point, then understood the thing was beyond salvation and dropped the whole of it, just updating later about how thing ended. One Piece is by far not the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by rayleigh92 View Post
    Carrot sneaked on the Sunny when they left Zou, not asking or requesting anyone. IF Carrot is going to join, I expect something like that, with the crew ready to leave Wano, all of them beginning to party for new nakama Yamato and then "wha-t?! Carrot is near Luffy

I have lots of things in my mind regarding criticism. I can't shake this feeling that anything I'll say might end up sounding tremendously hypocritical after the massive ammounts of shit I've given Naruto, Bleach or even HxH...but it's something like: Man, do we love to fixate on the negative elements on this forum. And I say this guilty as charged. And I know I'm not *quite as negative* when it comes to One Piece, hence the hypocrisy.

But still...can't help but feel that the past, what, 20? 25? 30? spoilers threads have been an almost unending avalanche of negative comments, and yes, it does wear down on you after a while. And it's almost always the same type of comments: corner cutting, less focus, too many characters. Like, yeah, I get it, it's proper criticism and I agree with it! But. . .every single week for the entirety of the raid, it gets a bit tiresome. And it seems to instill this idea that the Onigashima Raid has been this draggy mess when...it's not? It's actually quite good, even with its issues?

I don't know. Anyways, to each its own.

And to add something to the thread, proper - 1: This I had 100% forgotten about. And it's just pretty damned sweet.
    Spoiler:

And 2 - Damn at the attention to detail in here. It's taken me a while to realize Perospero's Candy Arm is being shattered here. Really cool detail.
    Spoiler:

And 3 - Momo's journey from insufferable, lecherous child to being beaten down and crucified yet still trying to rally the samurai to sacrificing 20 years of his life and try to surpass his fear of flying...to biting Kaido and not letting go of him, that's one journey right there. One that deserves props to Oda, cause that's commitment right there.

Sorry for the late reply, yes it is for you with no hill intent maybe should have used an emoji to finish it off, anyway just like the current discussion Haki is one of those sore topics that always cause the discussion thread do derail and have people losing their shit. The concern is relevant but in the end the discussion always leads to nowhere but create additional confusion. (I stop trying to figure it out a long time ago).

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    Is this directed at me? If so what does that mean?
    Sorry for the late reply, yes it is for you with no ill intent maybe should have used an emoji to finish it off, anyway just like the current discussion Haki is one of those sore topics that always cause the discussion thread do derail and have people losing their shit. The concern is relevant but in the end the discussion always leads to nowhere but create additional confusion. (I stop trying to figure it out a long time ago).

Quote Originally Posted by kouch_lee View Post
    I have lots of things in my mind regarding criticism. I can't shake this feeling that anything I'll say might end up sounding tremendously hypocritical after the massive ammounts of shit I've given Naruto, Bleach or even HxH...but it's something like: Man, do we love to fixate on the negative elements on this forum. And I say this guilty as charged. And I know I'm not *quite as negative* when it comes to One Piece, hence the hypocrisy.
    What is a little hypocrisy betwenn friends.

Also it was about naruto, it doesn't count

It's not even about criticism, but passion. Some of you seem more passionate about defending your criticisms than you are about your love of this series.

Luffy just split the sky. This is an amazing accomplishment and it's being met with indifference. That feat was only performed by Emperors prior to this chapter and now Luffy has done it.

This is the first definitive feat of Shanks that Luffy has matched. The promise made in chapter 1 is now that much closer to fulfillment.

Instead of joy over this it's the opposite. This thread is an echo chamber of dissatisfaction. Misery loves company they say. So, it's understandable if some users don't want their enjoyment soured like the rest of yours.

Quote Originally Posted by BragMan27 View Post
    It's not even about criticism, but passion. Some of you seem more passionate about defending your criticisms than you are about your love of this series.

Luffy just split the sky. This is an amazing accomplishment and it's being met with indifference. That feat was only performed by Emperors prior to this chapter and now Luffy has done it.

This is the first definitive feat of Shanks that Luffy has matched. The promise made in chapter 1 is now that much closer to fulfillment.

Instead of joy over this it's the opposite. This thread is an echo chamber of dissatisfaction. Misery loves company they say. So, it's understandable if some users don't want their enjoyment soured like the rest of yours.
    These type of you people must be miserable hateful etc posts are starting to hurt a bit tbh.

The sky-splitting moment does not matter to judge the subplots that are (seemly) resolved in this chapter. They were underwhelming, and Luffy splitting the sky does not change that. At best, it obfuscates them.

For a reader that was interested in seeing Jack defeated after 200+ chapters or wanted to see Perospero’s side-plot lead to something meaningful after 40+ chapters, this chapter is a disappointment.

It’s perfectly fine criticism. If you don’t like it, avoid forums, they are meant to comment various aspects of the story and not just praise it.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

Quote Originally Posted by kouch_lee View Post

But still...can't help but feel that the past, what, 20? 25? 30? spoilers threads have been an almost unending avalanche of negative comments, and yes, it does wear down on you after a while. And it's almost always the same type of comments: corner cutting, less focus, too many characters. Like, yeah, I get it, it's proper criticism and I agree with it! But. . .every single week for the entirety of the raid, it gets a bit tiresome. And it seems to instill this idea that the Onigashima Raid has been this draggy mess when...it's not? It's actually quite good, even with its issues?

I don't know. Anyways, to each its own.
    I've noticed that I've been increasingly going back to the same old criticisms even though I'm trying to be more positive, and I think part of it is burnout. The first two acts were boring to me so Onigashima was like a breath of fresh air, I loved it... but around the time Luffy got thrown of the island my interest tanked and I'm increasingly feeling like I'm back to reading the series just because it's One Piece. It gives me the same vibe as when Luffy climbed the bean stalk in Skypiea, I just want it to end. On paper the chapters are good (they're always very well done) but my emotional investments in this series aren't being satisfied and it leaves me... well... burnt out. I will try to cut down on the samey criticisms though. Or at least spoiler them.

And if it's any consolation regarding feeling like a hypocrite with Naruto, I've been rereading that series and there's a point in Shippuden where I realize exactly why I went so damn hard on it back then. Some of it was underserved and definitely part of joining the community in having fun, but there are some choices in that series that are so baffling they're hilarious.

More like people have different opinions. The sky splitting did nothing for me, Luffy has measured up against Kaido several times already and the whole measuring thing towards Yonko's and Shanks has never been something I particularly enjoyed in the series.

I was way more excited to see Momo finally get the courage to fight back. Oda's really nailed an eight-year old full-grown dragon, and to me his dragon form has always been what I liked about the character. Plus the way Oda draws the eastern dragons is phenomenal.
    Wano Predictions
    Spoiler:

People complaining about other people criticism are making these threads more toxic, if any. A forum isn't mean to be an echo chamber.
    I was invested in Jack after the Zou tragedy, and I was really curious to see the direction Carrot/Perospero was going to take. I understand if some readers didn't really care about these plotlines being deal mostly off-screen with how long the arc has been, not caring much about the cahracters involved, and because of that it didn't affect their enjoyment of the chapter, good for them.
    But it's kind of strange I have to shut up because otherwise I'm "nitpicking" and "ruining" it for other people with my "negativity".

Poor Pero and Jack, their faces when they realise they've made the classic villain mistake of monologing, love it!
    Still, it's a shame that yet more stuff gets off-panelled, especially as the anime doesn't always have the budget or the will to fill in the gaps.

Quote Originally Posted by aku-chan View Post
    Poor Pero and Jack, their faces when they realise they've made the classic villain mistake of monologing, love it!
    Still, it's a shame that yet more stuff gets off-panelled, especially as the anime doesn't always have the budget or the will to fill in the gaps.
    Peros had great banter. One of Odas most succesful creations in my book, you really wanted to see him smacked yet enjoyed his trolling

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    For a reader that was interested in seeing Jack defeated after 200+ chapters or wanted to see Perospero’s side-plot lead to something meaningful after 40+ chapters, this chapter is a disappointment.

It’s perfectly fine criticism. If you don’t like it, avoid forums, they are meant to comment various aspects of the story and not just praise it.
    Hey, you don't like it, then you don't like it. I just find it bizarre that the fate of some side villains can trump the accomplishments of the main character. I understand criticism is important. But you can't blame other users who are disappointed that they can't be involved in some communal joy every once in awhile

Forget nitpicking and just enjoy the chapter. End is in sight. That's how I am going on with this arc for sometimes now.

P.S: Also, since I am seeing random mention of Naruto in this thread, I just want to say that Naruto was great.
    “When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.”

Naruto is indeed a good series.

It is a weird feeling being made to feel responsible for another persons enjoyment. Like at the core you don't want to make other people feel bad, but you can't reasonably be asked to erase yourself either. So i don't quite know what to take away from these look what your faults made me do leaving posts

That's why I said I felt super weird voicing these thoughts, cause criticism must exist, and the thing is, most of current day criticisms seen in this forum are basically right.

Thing is, there's lots of good stuff in current One Piece too, yet it feels sometimes that the focus is mostly on its (again, deserved) shortcomings.

Like, damn, Jack went down with 0 named attacks, as redon mentioned on twitter. It's an insanely weird decision by Oda. Same with Page One. It makes you question those decisions, obviously.

But then again, the past two chapters have been filled to the brim with incredible art and great action scenes, with Yamato duking it out in gorgeous fashion...but that seems like almost an afterthought in the face of Jack and Pero's getting unceremoniously defeated.

Again, I don't feel too good mentioning this, cause it does feel like you want to force a certain state of mind unto others and making them feel bad for not enjoying the series at the same level as you. And that's not what you do on a forum, you just voice your opinions, as long as they're not harmful or hateful.

And, also, it feels like derailing the chapter thread. So maybe this can be food for another thread, unrelated to One Piece? Cause I've been thinking a lot about this stuff, but not just related to One Piece chapters but movies, series and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post

No one wants or expects an epic 4 chapter fight for the minks to get extreme focus, but even a tiny bit after literal years of build up? Heck, if we'd seen Jack fighting the mink army 30 chapters ago and gotten that taste there, it'd be alleviated. Instead of gettign 7 chapters ina row of Luffy running up stairs and facing off against another comedy zoan design.

Or, conversely, if Cat and Dog hadn't gone sulong a couple chapters ago, then had it turned off, then turned on again... if THIS chapter the cliffhanger was them finally getting that power up with the promise of *next* chapter being a bit of their skirmish and then the same finishers? It'd be fine.
    agreed with this.

I really liked the chapter. And I do think the sky splitting was just awesome. Momo facing upto Kaido and biting him down like that was pretty well done imo. And the final panels of the minks' fights were nice as well. But it was really badly paced. Esp Perospero needed some badly needed panel time here. As Robby said, the start of the Raid had wasted a lot of time, and now it's ill effects are being felt here
    that which cannot be stopped:inherited will,a man's dream,and the flow of time.as long as man continues to seek out the answer to freedom,these things shall never be stopped.-PK Gol D. Roger

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information