+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1,026: The Pivotal Clash

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Default Re: Chapter 1,026: The Pivotal Clash

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Isn't that just sprung from the idea that Oda is always on the ball and has a plan, and that any short comings would have to come from an outside factor. When it can be either intentionally done, screwed by the editor or just caused by human planning error it isn't hard to see why you might feel inclined to think that any perceived weakness must have been forced upon this generally competent storyteller
    I think the speculation about it at all is the problem.

But I guess after 20 or even 10+ years of reading, fans feel they're well versed or even experts on storytelling.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by onemoment View Post
    I have a confession to make. I have never really recognized Perospero as one of Big Mom's top men, and I consistently forget until the story reminds me. He has never, ever felt important or strong and it's been weird seeing him included in this arc. I'm just glad he's out of the battle for now.
    Him locking down the Sunny while encasing Chopper and Brook in candy didn't do enough to make him feel like a threat? His candy monsters or candy maiden didn't either? Or how about him lying to BM just to get her to chase the SHs? All of those at least made me believe that we was on par with Cracker and Katakuri from a strength perspective, but also showed his cunning. That's why seeing him randomly show up on Onigashima and look incompetent feels like a downgrade. We've seen the kind of character he can be, but now he's a joke of a character who strikes from the shadows, gloats, and then gets defeated in one hit.

Quote Originally Posted by astagadragon View Post
    Oh and did we really need those 2 early pages...?
    The two showing the Capital? Well, this chapter is either the end of one volume or the start of the next one.

In the latter case, showing the Capital again is a bookend, since volume 101 starts there, showing how much closer the deadline has gotten since the start of the book. In the former case, it's a reminder of what's at stake to the volume readers who might have gone several months since the last time they were reading. It might feel like a cutaway that doesn't add much to extremely up-to-date readers like ourselves, but I think it fits into the structural bigger picture.

Are we supposed to assume Luffy is constantly coating his attacks with conquerors Haki? Or only when Oda indicates it?

I was looking forward to see how strong his gear fourth attacks were going to be with Conquerors haki coating, but he's done a few gear 4th attacks, some gear 3rd attacks and just regular attacks that all seem to be doing the same amount of damage, it's really hard to tell what's effective and what's not

and now that we have three types of haki coating, we have regular black haki coating, we have ryou coating, and Conqueror's haki ryou coating..... basically I'm lost

Am I the only one having trouble with this?

Seems you love when the thread burns

Neko being stuck with candyman instead of being part of taking Jack down sucked.

Really like the Momo Luffy par Luffy getting Momo to do something rash to get him motivated then shipping him away to help lift the country is pretty nice. Still need that third character for the pheasant. So Hiyori or Marco?

Quote Originally Posted by Riquelme View Post
    Seems you love when the thread burns
    Is this directed at me? If so what does that mean?

Wow. One Piece is getting good again! Best chapter I've read in a long time.

I love the focus given to Momonosuke in this chapter. The past few months for Momonosuke has been an age of terror, grief and unfamiliarity. The heart mourning the loss of his parents still remains entrenched in the dread of darkness blanketing his world from that day. Such a trauma compelled him forward but is also haunting him with his inabilities. Twenty years may have passed but for Momonosuke, the death of his mother and father was but moments ago. Sorrow still fresh continues to overwhelm him. Now face to face with Kaido and in a position to stand against such a terror, Momonosuke fights off his fears and thanks to Luffy’s words and support, commits himself to a path of resolve.

With the wave of courage now washing over Momonosuke, he should be able to fly according to his own direction. Yamato will likely assist Momonosuke in this task - by guiding Momonosuke in using abilities Momonosuke may not know he possesses in his Dragon form. The imagery of having a Dragon and an Oni save Wano Kuni will surely be a transformative one after such forms derived only terror and despair for the people of Wano. With the Fire Festival going on, the Flower Capital has been opened up to all of Wano. As such, those able and willing would be attending the festival and witness to the events about to transpire. The Wano people may not have noticed it yet but with Onigashima advancing ever closer to the Flower Capital, it is only a matter of time before the people notice. Panic and fear will set in but it will be within that darkness that they will witness the efforts of a Dragon and an Oni saving them. The symbolism attached to those forms will in turn transform from misery into something more…hopeful.

For me, I really did feel the sky splitting moment. I never considered Luffy Kaido's equal in previous chapters as I always expected Luffy to be defeated at some point to make way for the Yamato VS Kaido battle, so even when Luffy began utilising Haoshoku Haki to fight Kaido, he was still not competing with Kaido in the same realm. But this moment here is THE moment for me. Luffy truly is Kaido's equal now. The equivalence of a force matching Kaido's own should be a signal to Kaido. Their blows clashing against each other were able to split the heavens. If Kaido wasn’t willing to accept Luffy’s capabilities before, the imagery now before him may motivate him to reconsider. Luffy is now within the realms of those he seeks to defeat. And Kaido will be taken down this round.

I wasn't expecting much from the Mink battles as Oda's prior treatment of them conveyed what his intentions for them were. I have already accepted that Oda doesn't view the Mink as important within the Wano arc relative to the other major players so I didn't have much of an issue with how Inuarashi and Nekomamushi's battles against Jack and Perospero were concluded respectively. Such battles were the least interesting, so I am glad they were wrapped up within this chapter. Prolonging the battles wouldn't have enhanced the excitement for me. If Oda wanted the Mink to hold focus, he should have given them more focus during their battle against Kaido and the Beast Pirates atop the Onigashima Skull dome earlier in the arc. But it appears to me this is more an issue with Oda's intentions rather than handling. I also don't expect the Raizo VS Fukurokuju to take many pages to conclude. Ninja's have been given lackluster treatment in the Wano arc and I don't see that changing. Beside a move or two being highlighted, the climatic blow should be come sooner rather than later.

As for Orochi, he won't be done with until Hiyori shows up. If Oda doesn't intend to feature the Hebi Hebi no Mi, Model: Yamata no Orochi in later arcs, I hope he lets Orochi go berserk and unleash his Yamata no Orochi. I wouldn't mind a Momonosuke/Hiyori/Yamato VS Berserk Yamata no Orochi battle. The people of Wano could then see the fall of both Kaido and Orochi. And on top of having the symbolism of Dragons and Oni redefined in the Wano people's hearts, also witness the revival of the Kozuki Clan.

Huh, seems like Carrot isn’t meant to kick Perospero’s ass after all.

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    Huh, seems like Carrot isn’t meant to kick Perospero’s ass after all.
    She never necessarily was. Her purpose was always to move forward like Pedro said, not stay stuck on revenge.
    Last edited by Shift; September 26th, 2021 at 08:40 PM.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

To summarize my feelings, I think this chapter was well written in isolation and it follows up well with the events happening at the rooftop, but things like Jack being beaten without almost any focus is extremely disappointing to me. It's not only about his high rank inside the Beast Pirates, but if you look at the Yonkou Saga from the beginning, back at Zou, there were a lot of stakes and build up in the events that happened there, which makes me expect a proportional payoff. And Zou was a great arc, so I was emotionally involved with that conflict despite how many years have passed since, and I was fairly expecting much more from Jack's defeat, not only of fighting itself, but especially drama and catharsis -- in fact, a lot more than I expecting from any Tobi Roppo. The situation with Perospero is not much better as this revenge plot could have been handled better even if I'm fine with its premise. By and large, it feels like everything around the minks was executed with the minimum amount of interest, and that's a big upset.

That said, I'm not in the team "oh no, everything is terrible!" despite some unfortunate issues. This raid is still pretty good and most likely a classic.
    Last edited by theackwardstation; September 26th, 2021 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    I don't know why i keep thinking that tengu guy is going to do something neat, i mean since he hangs around the capital eating cotton candy he's probably not going to take part in any action, but his design seems to neat just to be around. Maybe he'll do some revealing once they've landed the flying rock and face punched Kaido into submission
    Well he's all but confirmed to be Oden's dad so that's probably going to lead to something.

Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post
    She never necessarily was. Her purpose was always to move forward like Pedro said, not stay stuck on revenge.
    I guess this means that her closure won't fully come until Neko or someone else goes up to talk to her after all this is over and comfort her in regards to how to move on forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Sibersk Esto View Post
    Well he's all but confirmed to be Oden's dad so that's probably going to lead to something.
    It my first time hearing the theory. I don't remember him having any special reaction to Hiyori or Momo. Is it because of owning the kitetsu?

Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    It my first time hearing the theory. I don't remember him having any special reaction to Hiyori or Momo. Is it because of owning the kitetsu?
    He and Sukiyaki have the same anime VO, the manga says they both like kokeshi dolls, and when Tenguyama's vivre card was released it originally said 58 years old but a correction was made that said he was 81 years old, which would be an appropriate age for Sukiyaki if he was alive.

It seems pretty cut and dry.

Discovered Stowaway hideoushorrendous's Avatar

Such a trashy treatment from Oda to Jack

He doesn't even bother to draw him attacks !! How come the flying six received a better attention & care from Oda than an all star ?

Not only he gave him an ugly hybrid form that looks like a smile type, there is nothing creative about him at all despite his significant rank

Oda didn't even try which is very fucking disappointing considering the major importance of the Yonko Commanders in the new world.

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    I think the speculation about it at all is the problem.
    Why is that a problem to speculate how Oda is writing his story and what could have is change of plan in his scenario ?
    Of course, it is impossible to change the story once it is published but i find it rather interesting to speculate about such things. What was planned and what was not

Also Oda is definitively rushing things. So you will be annoyed a lot if you don't like people saying it

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    Why is that a problem to speculate how Oda is writing his story and what could have is change of plan in his scenario ?
    Of course, it is impossible to change the story once it is published but i find it rather interesting to speculate about such things. What was planned and what was not

Also Oda is definitively rushing things. So you will be annoyed a lot if you don't like people saying it
    It's pointless and counter productive.

It's actually worse than the baseless speculation about what would happen in the story.

And yeah, keep pretending you know things for a fact if you want. Guess you gotta find some way for it to make sense to you.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Big Mom really is making Kaido a huge favour, if not for her, imagine the likes of Law and Kidd rooming free thrughout Onigashima without nothing stopping them.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information