Default PPPPPP

PPPPPP
    Genre: Music, Shounen
    Author: Maporo 3-gou
    Serialization: Weekly Shounen Jump
    Publisher: Shueisha

Chapter 1

Default Re: PPPPPP

Sometimes I feel authors are trying to make the most ridiculous hair in an attempt to stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Baroness View Post
    Sometimes I feel authors are trying to make the most ridiculous hair in an attempt to stand out.
    This is the actual origin of weird and colorful hair in manga/anime though, right? And maybe also various exaggerated features, it's a stylistic element born of market forces and financial necessity. At least that's my understanding.

I gave it a try, but something really irks me even if I can't quite put my finger on it. The art is sometimes hard to read - possibly at large it is just as messy as the hair ; emotions are played to the extreme and faces are a little disturbing. Storytelling is maybe all over the place, there's a lot happening very fast in a single chapter between sick mom, cinderella-style stepfamily, school entrance exams...It's too much to take at once as far as I am concerned.

I like the piano theme, but it's possible I can't ever bring myself to enjoy that read

The chapter felt like it flew by, despite how much stuff was covered. I'm willing to give it a few more chapters and see how it progresses.

Well... yeah. That's entirely the point.

And if that's not appropriate you have to find something else to make them look distinctive.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I'd give that maybe 6/10. Art and story was a bit messy, but the idea itself is great and the art has an experimental touch I really like. The whole thing reminded me of the manga I read in the 00s. And while this first chapter had a lot of set up... after the chaos that is Red Hood, I appreciate knowing the setting and what to expect this early. Hopefully.

I'm giving this a shot, but can't say I'm too hopeful. The mangaka needs to either fix the messiness or make it actually enjoyable, because I doubt I'm gonna stand several chapters like this.
    Wano Predictions
    Spoiler:

Discovered Stowaway El-Matematico's Avatar

The "mediocre" guy who comes from the talented family and practiced for a month passed while the hardworking cousin who took piano classes forever didn't. Why are so many underdog stories botched like that?
    Wash your hands.

tbf the main character also failed entirely as well. It was only the one dude in the hat who saw something in him that allowed him to pass.

Lurking since 2007... Nidhoeggr's Avatar

Yeah, this feels like a big dud already.
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. - Sun Tzu, The Art Of War

Not my cup of tea either. Although i enjoy music serie usually. And they are rare in jump
    But we already have Yazakura familly for the genious siblings
    And if i want a great piano cindirella story, i can reread Nodame anytime
    Last edited by Kdom; September 20th, 2021 at 11:42 AM.

And here I thought Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo was a weird title.

they skipped through the entire harry potter premise in 3 panels but spent 3 pages to set it up is a red flag for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Well... yeah. That's entirely the point.

And if that's not appropriate you have to find something else to make them look distinctive.
    Hair can be unique without it looking like the main character doesn't own a comb.

Hair can be unique without it looking like the main character doesn't own a comb.
    There's only so many "normal" styl;es you can do before it starts to all look the same. You have to start getting weird eventually.

If the series works people stop questioning it. Like in Dragonball Goku has horrible hair but you don't think of it. Yugioh you don't really notice it in the original series, just when the sequel series give their protags increasingly crazy multi-colored looks. WHat's Sailor Moon without the 6 foot long pigtails?
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    Not my cup of tea either. Although i enjoy music serie usually. And they are rare in jump
    But we already have Yazakura familly for the genious siblings
    And if i want a great piano cindirella story, i can reread Nodame anytime
    It is very difficult to deal with music in a shounen manga.You can distinguish foods by visual, but showing the distinction between musical skills among competing people is quite a job.
    “When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.”

There are already plenty of successful music mangas so i don't really understand your point.
    Of course you cannot give the reader the same emotions he would have when listening to a concert but it is still possible to make interesting stories and authors have found original ways to display music

Nodame and Blue Giant are among my favourite mangas. Beck is a huge classic. Jump Square is currently having a music serie with Kono Oto Tomare. And there are hundreds of other examples
    Last edited by Kdom; September 24th, 2021 at 11:46 PM.

Nana is also really good. Nodame is underappreciated in the community but fondly look back on by the Japanese because of how good it was, transcending its genre.
    Your Lie in April was originally a manga and despite the melodrama really drove home the hardships of music. Kids on the Slope was brilliant in depicting early jazz in this small window of history.
    Really, the difference between a good music manga boils down to the research and whether the writer truly love and understand the history of the music it is depicting.
    Without that research and tremendous effort, it will become superficial. E.g: Fuuka.

I gotta admit, the main reason I'm sticking with this manga is because I like the mentor character. Their design is striking all the right chords.

Other than that I'm vaguely interested at best. I like the amateur feel, it definitely feels like a new author treading the waters and trying ideas they think might be cool. It's endearing, and now that Red Hood is out of the way I appreciate someone sincerely trying to bring their idea to life and sticking to it. There's downfalls though. This isn't a story for anyone who actually cares about the real-life intricacies of music, the whole piano thing feels more like a backdrop for the author to talk about emotion and visualize cool scenes. I really like some of the stuff they're drawing when the characters are playing, the school girls this chapter were pretty cool. But it falls down again by not providing stories that are interesting enough, or any sense of struggle where I really feel for the protagonist. Sometimes I have a hard time understanding what the story is trying to say.

I'm still uncertain what to think of it. Can't say I expect it to survive for long in this state - maybe if it lucks out and there's a lot of stinkers that keeps it afloat. Nor is it a manga I'd recommend people to read. But I think I'll stick with it for a while more and see where it goes, there really is something endearing about it that reminds me of the days when I just started drawing, not caring about what anyone else thought and doing stuff that made me happy.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Now that I think about it, I think I like this series because it feels like something I would create (if I ever get to making that fabled comic I've tried to do for like fifteen years now). Weird emotions, wavy art with flowy characters, abstract stuff and not really looking to deep into the mechanisms of things... to be honest I don't think I could create anything good, not even close to something like this that still has a lot of flaws, but I'm happy to look at this series and feel like there's someone else out there that draws a little bit like me.
    Wano Predictions
    Spoiler:

Discovered Stowaway El-Matematico's Avatar

Past my initial gripe with the talented vs hardworker theme (Lucky really hasn't been practicing hard), this manga does have some charm. It was interesting to me that the ilusions aren't just a narrative tool but real in-universe. So what appeared like a real life setting was in fact magic realism.
    For now, I'm interested in brother 2's titan, what it represents and how will Lucky defeat it.
    Wash your hands.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information