+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Wano has Failed the StrawHat Characters

Default Re: Wano has Failed the StrawHat Characters

I really don't want to be known as one of those guys who only reads a series for the fights, because One Piece is way more than that, it's the characters, the story, the emotion, the mysteries to be discovered and the sense of adventure and friendship that really makes this series what it is

That being said.... after over a decade waiting for the next big Albasta/enies lobby where each of the Straw Hat gets there own one on one fights with moments to shine, Oda just really let me down in that regard, I thought for sure after building the entire post time skip to this large scale battle we'd get each straw hat at least a 2 chapter battle each.... instead Page One and Ulti who seemed absolutely perfect as opponents for Nami and Usopp get taken down by Big Mom, and Usopp was completely useless, and then even when Ulti comes back to face Nami it's taken care of like immediately and in a completely unsatisfactory fashion

Brook didn't get his own one v one, Chopper neither, Franky's and Robin's battles were extremely short, I honestly thought Franky's battle choreography was some of the worst in the series, had trouble telling what Oda intended

over all a big let down

I know Oda can't do the every crew member gets a fight each arc like he used to because he'd never finish and it slows down the series to a halt, but it's been over 10 years building up to this and the only other chance were gonna get of those one v one again is probably the final battles against the Black Beard Pirates

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny B. Decent View Post
    It'd be nice, yeah.
    Well Chopper has done his fair share of fighting during the raid (I'd say as much as Brook) until he reached his limit. He just didn't beat anybody noteworthy.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    Well Chopper has done his fair share of fighting during the raid (I'd say as much as Brook) until he reached his limit. He just didn't beat anybody noteworthy.
    Had it been up to me, I would not have had Drake be a Tobi Roppo and had someone else in, and then I'd have it where the match/ups would have been Nami/Usopp/Chopper VS Page-One/Ulti, and then Brook versus whatever Oda would have created.

Alas.

All will be fixed once the Big Mom Pirates arrive.

Besides, even if that doesn't happen, there's still Apoo around for Brook to fight.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

Quote Originally Posted by Syphin View Post
    Also the lack of any badass Kakashi-type ninja in Wano is a tragedy.
    That you're calling them "Kakashi-type" is exactly WHY there are no badass ninjas in Wano. If Naruto didn't exist, and if Oda and Kishimoto weren't good friends, then Wano might be loaded with them.

But he doesn't want to draw comparisons to Naruto.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Had it been up to me, I would not have had Drake be a Tobi Roppo and had someone else in, and then I'd have it where the match/ups would have been Nami/Usopp/Chopper VS Page-One/Ulti, and then Brook versus whatever Oda would have created.

Alas.
    Yeah, I'm a little miffed Brook didn't get a dedicated fight as well but Oda has been using him in different ways for a while now. He basically did the extra stuff Sanji tends to do during WCI with the road poneglyph and I like that sort of intangible important thinking ahead stuff.

I figure Oda will give Chopper and Brook their due fight wise sooner than later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    That you're calling them "Kakashi-type" is exactly WHY there are no badass ninjas in Wano. If Naruto didn't exist, and if Oda and Kishimoto weren't good friends, then Wano might be loaded with them.

Then at least give us a Strider Hiryu type ninja.

It does suck Kishi basically cornered the market on ninjas in manga. Everything gets a comparison to it but its pretty much the same thing with Oda and pirates.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

To be fair, it's not like there's a whole lot of conventional Toshiro Mifune-esque badass Samurai in Wano, either.

Seeing what he did with them he could've skipped the ninjas all together.

if Oda and Kishimoto weren't good friends
    A-ah! So that's were all this recent prophecies, broken lineage abilities and moon people galore comes from!
    Kishimoto's the mangaka your parents don't want you to hang with.
    Curiosity has its own reason for existing

Quote Originally Posted by Alfiere View Post
    A-ah! So that's were all this recent prophecies, broken lineage abilities and moon people galore comes from!
    Kishimoto's the mangaka your parents don't want you to hang with.
    You say they're recent, yet notions like inherited will, the D., fate and moon-men have been inherent to or featured in One Piece for at least 20 years.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

I find that hard to believe. Why do you think that?

I just read most or all the post up until now, so I am going for one to all.

I'll try with a bigger argument: One Piece is not anymore the manga revolving around Straw Hat Pirates. The plot is bigger, the worldbuilding is pressing, the final stage is menacingly behind the angle. Now the whole plot does have to involve a lot of characters more than before. Since Marineford Luffy had to carry the whole protagonist baggage alone as the story can't materially bear nine (ten, and maybe soon eleven) main stars without losing in cohesion, as the whole storyline status is changed. To this point it's more important to talk about Oden's journey for fourteen chapters than about how Sanji fed Wanolanders for two chapters. With the whole arc plot/saga plot/main plot evolution pressing, only what is needed to go on is basically put on screen (=paper). If Chopper had his moment is just cause Queen had to play a prominent role as a thread linking to Vegapunk, imho.

This means having (future) Straw Hat Alliance Captains' fights with the same plot-weight of any SH, or Law basically stealing the co-protagonist role just to work as Doflamingo's saga spine. I disagree about the "if the author want, he does": characters and story pretty much go on their own wat after a while and the author just have the work to tell how it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by rayleigh92 View Post
    Carrot sneaked on the Sunny when they left Zou, not asking or requesting anyone. IF Carrot is going to join, I expect something like that, with the crew ready to leave Wano, all of them beginning to party for new nakama Yamato and then "wha-t?! Carrot is near Luffy

The problem with that is, it's kind of the worst of both worlds. I would be totally fine with the straw hats getting sidelined if I were invested in the other characters. I'm not actually that invested in the straw hats you see (because they're sidelined). But sadly I'm not that invested in most of the Wano characters either, because even they are being sidelined by the sheer number of other Wano characters. Wano is still fun in an omnibus kind of way. Its a fun collection of all these short stories but I'm not terribly invested in the whole thing. I'm not saying anything new here. Too many cooks yada yada.
    Straw Hats getting sidelined wouldn't be a problem per se, if I cared about the rest more.

Whenever I think Oda has lost it though, I think back to how fantastic Whole Cake was and that Oda still has it, he just needs to not broaden his scope so much.

And yeah, Sanji really broke character hard in Wano. The plot demands.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

It'd be nice, yeah.
    Oh maaaan you made me remember how awesome Chopper's fights were. They were the best in the whole series together with pre-TS Usopp's. Him using brain point to find a weakness and then cleverly using all the other points in a sort of solo teamwork to exploit the wealness was so damn cool. Ahh I miss pre-chibi Chopper man.

This has kind of been a problem since Sabaody. Since that time the scale of the story expanded where Luffy wasn't such a big deal, and there were dozens of guys close to his power. The problem with that is, it makes a crew of ten or so people that are weaker than him seem even smaller by comparison. It hasn't been so bad in every arc, but Wano really suffers from a bloated cast of characters. We'd really benefit from cutting things out here. Like, the arcs leading to Wano should not have been so long if Wano itself was also going to be one of the longest arcs ever. It's all too much.

Speaking of cutting, and this is slight;y related, but Tobi Roppo were added at the last second and now that they've seemingly played there part in the story, I can't say there were completely needed. Yeah, I loved some of the fights they provided but it doesn't feel like they added anything to Kaido's fighting force that the Calamities didn't already provide. At this point, it feels like they were just a distraction for the Strawhat crew while all the business with the scabbards and Kaido plays out.
    Last edited by onemoment; September 21st, 2021 at 03:37 PM.

I just hope whatever the next arc is it will be a lot more intimate. Don't need it to be long but a few more slice of life crew moments with the hopefully finalized crew except if vivi returns would be nice.

Damn, guess Oda should try better next arc.

User of the Gumdrop Rifle Rocko52's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marcotty View Post
    Sanji's my biggest "retroactive" complaint. It was a huge missed opportunity to have Sanji go solo to help with the Luffy rescue. He has the mobility to realistically get there at the same time as the action started, and it would've been a great moment to establish an earlier vendetta between Sanji and Queen. Him helping feed all the prisoners would've been great too.

So to tldr... eh, no, half the strawhats were fine, but yes, the other half got kinda screwed, but it's just more fault with how bad nearly everything before the raid ended up being.
    Man this makes me realize how much I would've loved some Sanji involvement there, that's a great idea. All around though I generally quite liked Acts 1 and 2 of Wano from what I recall and when I binge-read it last year to catchup after I'd fallen behind for a long time. There are a lot of neat ideas to make elements of it better in here, but honestly, parts of Wano and a lot of recent arcs have felt rather fast despite their length (offsceened events, quick cuts every chapter, lots of busy pages and panels) so honestly I can't imagine how long Wano would be if it included all these things.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information