+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1,025: Twin Dragons

The Tetsuo Ishimaru of AP Gizmo's Avatar

Default Chapter 1,025: Twin Dragons

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1009809
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/one-p...14?action=read

1-Week Break: Next chapter releases 9/26.

Quote Originally Posted by redon View Post
    3rd part of the poster in HQ, without watermarks :)

https://twitter.com/YonkouProd/statu...13713513869313

And full poster in HQ, without watermarks :)

Spoiler:
    Author Comments 9/12/2021: https://www.viz.com/blog/posts/manga...ings-9-12-2021

Eiichiro Oda

Thank you so much for Vivi’s Adventure, Komi-san! The girls were so cute! I was overwhelmed.
    Last edited by Shift; September 12th, 2021 at 02:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwing
    Stay focused, cause right now you have a decision to make. Are you a man perpetually looking back at what hes lost, or a man looking forward, to what he might become?

Default Re: Chapter 1025: Twin Dragons

So Kaido is an Oni and not a descendant of the ancient giants ?

So like I know Oda wants me to get me invested in Momo for writting purposes, but honestly I can't give two cents to any development he gets.

So, a new race is revealed. Could oni/ogre be the third missing race from Big Mom's country?
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    So, a new race is revealed. Could oni/ogre be the third missing race from Big Mom's country?
    Kaido also uses “ogres” as if to confirm that Yamato’s mother is also an ogre and that she isn’t half-human on her mother’s side like Spock from Star Trek.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy Boy View Post
    So Kaido is an Oni and not a descendant of the ancient giants ?
    The two could be one and the same. I feel like "Onigashima" itself kind of points to that as a possibility since it does prominently feature an Ancient Giant skull.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

Default Re: Chapter 1,025: Twin Dragons

At the start I was hoping for more focus on Yamato, and I still wish he had another chapter of focus. Despite coming in late his relationship with Kaido, his transformation, and battle have all been stand out to me. Wasn't too big on Luffy and Momo at first, since it felt like it wasn't going to result in them going up. Thankfully that point was wrapped up, and those last few pages such as Luffy and Yamato attacking Kaido at once and Kaido facing Momo in Dragon form with Momo stating his name made for a nice end of the chapter. Momo still isn't a favorite of mine, but I have been enjoying his arc a bit more as time has moved on, so seeing him say his name after what we saw in the flashback was some nice pay off.

Oda cannot finish this arc without revealing whose giant skull is on Oni-gashima.
    Every nation gets the government it deserves.---- Joseph de Maistre

If it's the case Oda never intended for Yamato to have a trans-coded narrative, he sure is writing a pretty clear one on accident.

In 1024 there is a clear distinction between Yamato referring to himself as a guy and wanting to be Oden and here in 1025 when Yamato is younger he's referred to as a princess and in the present as the son of Kaido.

In a general sense, I think this chapter illustrates why I think Wano is a considerable improvement over a bunch of the post-ts OP stuff.

To me it feels like a much more organic story where events lead into one another instead of the story giving us a list of events.

This expresses itself In some smaller ways and some larger ways.

To me the bigger examples were Luffy's first loss to Kaido, the under-cover section of the story leading into the Onigashima raid and all of the individual fights in these recent chapters.

As much as the Oden flashback didn't make me care as much as I think it should've, what the present story does with the characters influenced by Oden is good in my eyes.

Many of the side characters still feel pretty forgettable and sections are still pretty scattered, but I feel a much stronger cohesion at play with everything: themes, plot, setting and character.

In this chapter, this has everything to do with Momo to me. There was this point of making Momo older, but turns out this seems to make his power much more unstable and in turn interferes with the fighting below. Even if there are elements I don't care for, there is a much stronger sense of continuity to everything and I think that final two-page spread is a really good example of that, too because it feels like that imagery could only happen in these specific circumstances with these specific motivations.

I feel like Dressrosa and Whole Cake particularly weren't just scattered in terms of presentation of events, they were scatterbrained in general.

Another example of cohesion to me from the earlier story is that I didn't care as strongly about Zoro's and Sanji's flashbacks as others, but I can see how they shaped them.

These specific key events in Wano I listed have felt like they got build up on all levels, not just the most simple plot level. Again, not perfect, but 100% an improvement in my eyes.
    Last edited by Kizuchan; September 12th, 2021 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    Kaido also uses “ogres” as if to confirm that Yamato’s mother is also an ogre and that she isn’t half-human on her mother’s side like Spock from Star Trek.
    I think he meant that more in the bloodline sense.

It would've been nice to hear someone talk about onis before, like even if it was some drunks talking in Jaya or something, just to make it seem like it didn't just come out of nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    It would've been nice to hear someone talk about onis before, like even if it was some drunks talking in Jaya or something, just to make it seem like it didn't just come out of nowhere.
    Queen named his virus “Ice Oni” which may or may not be foreshadowing.

Cool chapter. I love the antics of MomoDragon such as him still being afraid of heights or flying through walls in a blind panic. A fitting contrast to his matured form which is enough to send shivers down the spine of almost anyone in Kaido's forces.

I also very much appreciate that, at long last, we're finally beginning to glimpse more of Kaido than the stoic colossus through his exchange/flashbacks with Yams. It comes late in the arc, but this is better than nothing at all.

This was a funny chapter, I liked it. Momo flying around with eyes closed is so fitting.
    Favorite drawing was Momo appearing behind Yamato, made me laugh out loud.
    Good stuff.

Definitely a set-up for Yamato to be in some good company after going through Kaido’s abuse:

Quote Originally Posted by Kizuchan View Post
    If it's the case Oda never intended for Yamato to have a trans-coded narrative, he sure is writing a pretty clear one on accident.

In 1024 there is a clear distinction between Yamato referring to himself as a guy and wanting to be Oden and here in 1025 when Yamato is younger he's referred to as a princess and in the present as the son of Kaido.

In a general sense, I think this chapter illustrates why I think Wano is a considerable improvement over a bunch of the post-ts OP stuff.

To me it feels like a much more organic story where events lead into one another instead of the story giving us a list of events.

This expresses itself In some smaller ways and some larger ways.

To me the bigger examples were Luffy's first loss to Kaido, the under-cover section of the story leading into the Onigashima raid and all of the individual fights in these recent chapters.

As much as the Oden flashback didn't make me care as much as I think it should've, what the present story does with the characters influenced by Oden is good in my eyes.

Many of the side characters still feel pretty forgettable and sections are still pretty scattered, but I feel a much stronger cohesion at play with everything: themes, plot, setting and character.

In this chapter, this has everything to do with Momo to me. There was this point of making Momo older, but turns out this seems to make his power much more unstable and in turn interferes with the fighting below. Even if there are elements I don't care for, there is a much stronger sense of continuity to everything and I think that final two-page spread is a really good example of that, too because it feels like that imagery could only happen in these specific circumstances with these specific motivations.

I feel like Dressrosa and Whole Cake particularly weren't just scattered in terms of presentation of events, they were scatterbrained in general.

Another example of cohesion to me from the earlier story is that I didn't care as strongly about Zoro's and Sanji's flashbacks as others, but I can see how they shaped them.

These specific key events in Wano I listed have felt like they got build up on all levels, not just the most simple plot level. Again, not perfect, but 100% an improvement in my eyes.
    I dont know if Oda wrote it on purpose, but i think the whole thing with Momo sacrificing his childhood in order to save Wano is an interesting contrast with Oden. Momo in a way is the complete opposite of Oden, and he is meant to attone for Odens mistakes.

Oden grew up in Wano dreaming of becoming a pirate despite being fated to be Shogun. Momo grew up among pirates and dreamed about being shogun.
    Odens childish antics doomed Wano, but Momo sacrificed his own childhood and youth in order to save it.

These things seem pretty obvious when you think about it yet Oda has kept it fairly subtle and refrained from blatantly spelling it out.

Loved Laws curly-haired background crew-woman standing there, arms folded, totally fed up with Momo's inability to get his shit together.
    Considering how long they've been part of the story it's a shame we know next to nothing about Laws crew (and Kidds for that matter), not that the series needs more side characters at the moment.

I think the stuff with Momo and growing up has been intentional.

I appreciate that Momo has now gotten a character arc, even if I don't have particularly strong care for him as a character.

At the same time, unlike most of the arc-specific side cast in previous post-ts arcs, I actually like the scabbards as a group. I think their loyalty and desire to free Wano is endearing even if the story really seems to put Oden on a pedestal.

They're miles better than the ultimately pretty forgettable Tontottas or really I think pretty much most of the side cast in Whole Cake. The series just introduces too many characters in this second half and as a result most of them just get very little time in focus to begin with.
    Last edited by Kizuchan; September 12th, 2021 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Shift or other moderators feel free to edit to add the Author comment of the week and/or 3rd part of the character poster here (and sticky)
    Thanks, Gizmo! That's all added in now.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

Quote Originally Posted by aku-chan View Post
    Loved Laws curly-haired background crew-woman standing there, arms folded, totally fed up with Momo's inability to get his shit together.
    Considering how long they've been part of the story it's a shame we know next to nothing about Laws crew (and Kidds for that matter), not that the series needs more side characters at the moment.
    The problem with Kidd is that we know absolutley nothing about him in general and despite him playing an important role in this arc we arguably know less about him now than we did before Wano.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information