+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1,025: Twin Dragons

Default Re: Chapter 1,025: Twin Dragons

Good, fun chapter. I love how Oda draws the dragons. Momo crashing through Onigashima with Luffy hanging on as everyone is left speechless feels so perfectly One Piece.

Also echoing the sentiment that it's nice to see Kaido finally show some more personality.
    Wano Predictions
    Spoiler:

Discovered Stowaway astagadragon's Avatar

Oni race huh... even since Kaido is revealed to have a kanabo mace, he fits the stereotypical tropes of an oni. Horns, mean drunk, kanabo mace, hell he even resides in Onigashima!

Maybe Onigashima is the homeland of Oni race? And that's why Kaido is set to have that place become the new capital of Wano?
    "The rain has ceased, and we have been graced by another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it." - Elidibus

We're at the first possible end point for volume 101, and what a place it is to stop. We're also back to normal cover pages, which once again raises the question of which chapter the WT100 spread will be made part of for the volume release, if it's used at all in that version. All at once ahead of chapter 1024 is my guess, but it's a bit of an enigma. I wasn't expecting to see Momo's flight this soon. I really thought Oda would try to wrap up the remaining fights before bringing Luffy back to the island, but I'm glad he went about it this way. Luffy and Momo's interruption of the others' battles were a joy to behold.

Yamato's past turns out to legitimately be pretty rough. Twenty years sneaking around the castle like an intruder, unable to leave but unable to live normally. I can only imagine that kind of tension reinforced the need to be Oden as a way to survive. After all, it was a feat of inhuman endurance that brought Oden to Yamato's attention in the first place.

The suggestion that ogres were an actual race is a fascinating development that I wasn't strongly expecting. So Kaido isn't an ancient giant then? Or were ancient giants ogres all along? Or are ogres to humans as ancient giants are to regular giants. And a pretty demonic kind of people to namedrop so soon after bringing in the angelic Lunarians. I have so many questions! I'm not particularly bothered by the oni/ogre translation debate for the moment. Wano is the Japan-themed arc, justifying a lot more loanwords than usual, but Kaido isn't from Wano, so it tracks he wouldn't describe himself by the local culture's mythology. Of course, this may be contradicted as we learn more about the ogre race in the future, but for now it's not a problem. The last panel of this sequence is great. Kaido really looks like the monster he's been built up as. His hybrid form can stil often be underwhelming, but when it looks good, it looks good.

Giant dragon Momo tearing through the dome and the castle is an absolutely magical sequence and may go down as one of the highlights of the whole arc. I wonder if all these new holes in the castle are going to have an impact on the fights taking place there - like letting Kid and Killer communicate about Hawkins' trap for them, or giving the pirates still in the castle a new way to flee the spreading fires.

Once again, I love seeing consistent environmental damage. The exterior shots show a hole above the eye socket where Momo entered, and the wide view of the roof really makes it look torn up by the many fights that have taken place there. That's a well-worn boss arena if I ever saw one.

Luffy and Momo coming up screaming behind Yamato as he tries to stike a dramatic pose is peak One Piece. I'm glad we get to see an encore Snakeman performance before the inevitable new form or gear that'll close out this battle. Seems that Luffy's a lot more able to freely go in and out of Gear Four now as well. Back in Whole Cake Island, he seemed to go into the haki-exhausted state from transforming back after throwing one quick punch at Big Mom, and now he's in and out of it between panels with no ill effects.

Kaido says at the end that the world doesn't need two dragons, but he's incredibly, painfully wrong on that point, because two dragons were exactly what this arc needed. The main panel of them confronting each other in the last spread is a treat, but the one below that shows both their bodies snaking around is brilliant as well. Just fantastic work from Oda. Take your break, man, you've earned it!

Quote Originally Posted by aku-chan View Post
    Loved Laws curly-haired background crew-woman standing there, arms folded, totally fed up with Momo's inability to get his shit together.
    I’m sure Law and Ikkaku have had plenty of conversations, just that they’re not relevant enough to show evidently.

Kaido's rant screams tragic backstory hint.

Luffy and Momo ascending back up to the roof did not go how I expected lol

Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    Yep, right now, that, coupled with "there was a reason I chose Wano", and all the tidbits about treason among pirates, being an apprentice in Rocks, and some other clues here and there, I feel Kaido's past is primed for a flashback. It may be a short one, like Big Mom's, thought.
    My Wano predictions: All Straw Hats will get fights in Wano, but not in Act 3; There will be 5 acts; The Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Yamato, Carrot and Tama will form their own crew; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5 to issue a challenge; We are going to Mary Geoise after Wano.

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    I'm guessing the obvious "Wano and the Oni had a war which the latter lost, and Kaido is partially doing this for revenge of his fallen people" angle.

I'm a mixed bag of relief from some things and dread for other still. First part of Yamato vs. Kaido was pretty great stuff. It was certainly fun seeing Momo crash through and around the base, and it gives a temporary relief that Momo is still acting his age, but I don't know if I trust it's gonna stay that way as the roof fight continues.

My dread is mostly worry that the next chapter is gonna spend most of it's time showing off how powerful Adult Momoden has become. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he's able to block or shake off some of Kaido's dragon attacks with his new adult dragon toughness and even probably land an attack of his own with Luffy and Yamatoden supporting him. And if we bother getting the time put in to allow Momo to land a real hit, it's probably gonna legitimately hurt Kaido. I'm not afraid of Kaido anymore in a 3v1 against Luffy, Yamatoden, and Adult Momoden's. I'm expecting a chapter of Kaido getting humiliating, pushing him to some sort of "100% form seriousness" that'll really start pushing the power scale to annoying levels.

I'm losing interest in Yamato's backstory now. It's fine, I'm just not sure what else we need to see from the 20 years Yams spent like this. Another beast pirate or samurai that managed to help him without getting caught for longer but still eventually getting caught and executed all the same? I feel more interested to know what his life was like before Oden now than just potentially seeing more and more of this happen. That goes double for how much I want to see things from Kaido that led to that point. But idk, always happy to be surprised.

Personal favorite panel: Marco having the time of his life with that goofy smile at this random dragon and Luffy riding it crashing the party. Also share the hope that those new holes and structural damage will play some big roles in how some of the fighting down below plays out.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny B. Decent View Post
    I'm guessing the obvious "Wano and the Oni had a war which the latter lost, and Kaido is partially doing this for revenge of his fallen people" angle.
    I'm also betting Joyboy made some promise to the one ppl as well, probably specifically about returning to Wano and Kaido os waiting for that or to kick his ass.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    I’m sure Law and Ikkaku have had plenty of conversations, just that they’re not relevant enough to show evidently.
    I didn't even know she had a name.

There's a girl in Laws crew?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    There's a girl in Laws crew?
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    It may be a short one, like Big Mom's, thought.
    I kinda have the opposite feeling, if only because I suspect that his backstory potentially ties into major elements of One Piece lore; that and his greater significance as an antagonist to Luffy specifically.

I have a sneaking suspicion his backstory will also become intertwined with that of Toki's own at some juncture, so I foresee Kaido's past getting a lot more pagetime overall....but then I suppose any Rocks-related history will inevitably reveal new insights into BM by association.

We'll see.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny B. Decent View Post
    My feeling as well, but with an added layer: the ancestors of Wano's human population may not have been Wano's original, indigenous inhabitants.

I'm leaving comments about 1022-1025 here,as i read them together yesterday

I have to say , I really liked this chapter. Of course Momo and Luffy are gonna crash through almost all of Onigashima lol, passing through and shocking enemies and allies alike. Classic One Piece. Both 1025 and 1021 are one of the best chapters in Arc 3 IMO.

Chapter 1022 was,ehhh okay i guess. While it certainly contains moments everyone has been waiting a long time for, and that last doublespread was indeed great,it still felt a bit forced imo.

1023 and 1024 were better imo. Can't say I'm a fan of the whole zoro=desecendent of shimutsuki and Ryuuma.Of course, there were plenty of hints and foreshadowing for this,so it's not really something new here,but it's been made pretty much much explicit now,and I am not sure of it being so on-the-nose.

And chapter 1024 really nice. I think it gave Yamato some much needed background,and fleshes out her character.Of course,badass samurai being badass samurai in the flashback was pretty nice on it's own too(along with that reveal of Shimotsuki Ushimaru). And Yamato vs Kaido is pretty sweet
    that which cannot be stopped:inherited will,a man's dream,and the flow of time.as long as man continues to seek out the answer to freedom,these things shall never be stopped.-PK Gol D. Roger

So is Kaido immortal?. He and Big Mom are from the same era as Whitebeard, Roger, Garp, etc yet he doesn’t seem old like them, even big mom looks a bit old thou I don’t know if her strength has diminished.

Quote Originally Posted by tenchu View Post
    So is Kaido immortal?. He and Big Mom are from the same era as Whitebeard, Roger, Garp, etc yet he doesn’t seem old like them, even big mom looks a bit old thou I don’t know if her strength has diminished.
    Ogre don't crack? Nah but they are older, they were adults when he was a teen

Quote Originally Posted by tenchu View Post
    Kaido's younger than them, he was just an apprentice in Rocks. But he does look older than in Oden's flashback. Far more wrinckled now.
    My Wano predictions: All Straw Hats will get fights in Wano, but not in Act 3; There will be 5 acts; The Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Yamato, Carrot and Tama will form their own crew; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5 to issue a challenge; We are going to Mary Geoise after Wano.

Who would have guessed Luffy would get back to Kaidou in one chapter :-)
    And in a funny way !
    How I missed those chapters of Strawhats running forever...

The behavior of Kaidou with Yamato makes me wonder if it would have been different if Yamato did not pretend to be Oden. From this chapter, it seems to me, Kaidou would have raised Yamato to be alone without friend whatever the circonstance were

I know it sounds awful, but from a strictly narrative standpoint i feel Yams should have been a lot more gruesomely beaten up by the end of this chapter.
    I mean, there was this dramatic build up in physical and pschological violence fpr a couple of pages, up to the glowing eyed shadow panel... and then Yams up on his feet, just slightly bleeding.
    Luffy and Momo's arrival would have been even more impactful if we felt that Yams was saved in the nick of time there, among other things.

This is reminescent of the first phase of the raid, when the scabbards seemed to fare quite nicely against Kaido and, at least to me, further cements the feeling that the only real problem with defeating Kaido is that he has a lot of HPs, and not much else.
    Curiosity has its own reason for existing

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information