Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1,024: So-and-So

Default Chapter 1,024: So-and-So

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1009808
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/one-p...85?action=read

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    Author Comments 9/05/2021: https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/web_pages/529/

Eiichiro Oda

Volume 100 is out in Japan! Enjoy the volume and all the special celebrations we have planned for the occasion!
    Last edited by Shift; September 7th, 2021 at 12:15 PM.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

Default Re: Chapter 1,024: So-and-So

Yamato's second flashback and who woulda thunk he'd get 3 mentor like figures?

Including Zoro-Dad
    Here’s how Naruto should end: Last panel is Naruto standing proudly over Konohagakure. Slowly zoom out to reveal Luffy staring into a snowglobe with a miniature Konoha inside it. Usopp asks him what he’s doing. Luffy replies “Thinkin’ bout ninjas! Ninjas are cool!” and then chucks it off the ship

It's Yamato week, y'all!

Uninteresting Yamato chapter, what a waste...

You can find a toothpick in Ushimaru's mouth in this chapter. This is based on a JP proverb 武士は食わねど高楊枝, meaning Samurais have so much pride that they use a toothpick to pretend as if they've already eaten something and are not hungry at all.

pics
    Spoiler:

Little Yams is so adorable.

A sweet but short flashback.

YamaToddler says 'Jurnel' cause she's a child and can't say words corretly right??

Also, she didnt even learnt the names of the Samurai, while they're definitely(along with Ace) part of the people Yamato refers to when she says 'even I had people that believed in me', I'm still thinking there's someone else.

Very nice and cute little Yamato flashback, gimme more Oda, crazy how little we still know about Kaido and his son

And speaking of Kaido, his reaction to Yamato saying he's Oden was hilariously messed up

Ok, that was one hell of a chapter. I might have appreciated an update on Sanji & Zoro, but leaving them aside gives more space for updates on other situations and Yamato's flashback, so it's a good thing in the end.

Child Yams is sweet. Can't help but notice Kaido's underlings used to refer to young Yamato as the "Ogre Princess" back then, so acknowledging her as "Kaido's son" later on definitely stems from whatever happened after.wards Also, a character once called Kaido "the Ogre" (I don't remember who, though), so this cements him as a not-quite-human lineage.

Also, lulz at Usopp keeping up the good old lies

In the second page of the flashback, Kaido's face is so badly drawn IN MY OPINION. It makes me think about those sketches of Togashi when he gets bored with his manga
    Every nation gets the government it deserves.---- Joseph de Maistre

I enjoyed that chapter substantially. Yamato wants to be a Samurai and inspired was he by the legendary warriors that gave their lives for the future. Alongside Oden were the unnamed Samurai that saved Yamato. And on him, those Samurai placed their hope to carry their wills into the future where Wano Kuni could be saved. The burden Yamato chose to carry was not only his own desires but that of the nameless Samurai and Kozuki Oden. They believed in him and he has chosen to believe in himself too. The spirit of the Samurai burns radiantly within the resolve of Yamato.

Those three nameless Samurai are definitely the former Daimyo's of Wano. Shimotsuki Ushimaru and likely the Fugetsu and Uzuki Daimyo's (the clans that have yet to feature within the Wano Kuni story). In their darkness and lamentation, they found a path forward in Yamato's survival and laid their very lives down upon such a path so that it could blossom into pillars supporting Yamato to the day twenty years from than. They fought on that day so that Yamato could survive to carry on fighting. They believed in Yamato and entrusted their wills to him.

The story of three nameless Samurai escaping the Sacred cave is not over. There is still the story of them stealing the Inu Inu no Mi, Model: Okuchi no Makami Devil Fruit from Kaido and giving it to Yamato to eat. In order to survive, Yamato ate the Devil Fruit. And now, twenty years since that day, Yamato is using the power from that Devil Fruit to hold Kaido back so that Luffy has sufficient time to recover and return. Through Yamato, the efforts of the Daimyo's manifest itself. Their spirit dances along with Yamato as he now battles his father.

Samurai are awesome. /tear

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    You can find a toothpick in Ushimaru's mouth in this chapter. This is based on a JP proverb 武士は食わねど高楊枝, meaning Samurais have so much pride that they use a toothpick to pretend as if they've already eaten something and are not hungry at all.

pics
    I somehow missed that. Thanks.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Com'n Oda.Don't tie Yamato down to Wano once the arc is over.
    “When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.”

Great chapter but I never will understand this weird crush every character has for Oden.

Some thoughts after chapter 1,024:

- This is the first time that I saw Yamato as a character rather than just a plot device for exposition.

- Remember we talking about foreshadowing a flashback? This was foreshadowed, but Oda was really clever in hiding Yamato's mentor in Zoro's character arc. Really good diversion, Oda, I didn't see it coming at all. Another storytelling trick to learn in that.

- This flashback carries a lot of potential, but there's some things that people should be aware of about.

- First, is that this is not a traditional flashback that cuts the present action to tell a tangential story. It seems more like the first in a series of flashbacks, like Vivi's or Rebecca/Kyro's. Either that, or it's a new flashback format, used in other media but never by Oda, in which the scenes from past go back and forth to complement the story being told in the present. However, I must add that using a different format of flashback does not reduce Yamato's chances at all. The content of that flashback is what matters in the end. Also, this flashback may transition into a traditional one later, it may just be a prelude. Let's see.

- Second, I'd say having 3 samurai as mentors may not favor Yamato's chances of joining. We know of Yamato's childhood desires, they've been hammered down many times over this act. But we don't know how these mentors will influence Yamato going forward, what kind of will or objectives he will from them. This flashback may reinforce Yamato's original dream further, but it could instead further cement Yamato as Wano's guardian. Because it's too early to tell which direction this will go, we need to wait for more scenes to judge.

-----------------------------

By the way, after reading the official translation, something called my attention.

The early scanlations had Yamato say he'd fight for Wano in 20 years, then go to the sea and become stronger.
    The official one has Yamato saying he'd fight for Wano in 20 years, because he would already have gone to the sea to become stronger.

For readers with access to the original and understanding of japanese, can anyone comment which version is more accurate. I'd usually say it's Stephen's, but in this case I'd like extra confirmation.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch View Post
    In the second page of the flashback, Kaido's face is so badly drawn IN MY OPINION. It makes me think about those sketches of Togashi when he gets bored with his manga
    Yea, Kaido did look kinda derpy there not gonna lie.
    "In mad world, only the mad are sane."

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    Some thoughts after chapter 1,024:

- This is the first time that I saw Yamato as a character rather than just a plot device for exposition.

- Remember we talking about foreshadowing a flashback? This was foreshadowed, but Oda was really clever in hiding Yamato's mentor in Zoro's character arc. Really good diversion, Oda, I didn't see it coming at all. Another storytelling trick to learn in that.

- This flashback carries a lot of potential, but there's some things that people should be aware of about.

- First, is that this is not a traditional flashback that cuts the present action to tell a tangential story. It seems more like the first in a series of flashbacks, like Vivi's or Rebecca/Kyro's. Either that, or it's a new flashback format, used in other media but never by Oda, in which the scenes from past go back and forth to complement the story being told in the present. However, I must add that using a different format of flashback does not reduce Yamato's chances at all. The content of that flashback is what matters in the end. Also, this flashback may transition into a traditional one later, it may just be a prelude. Let's see.

- Second, I'd say having 3 samurai as mentors may not favor Yamato's chances of joining. We know of Yamato's childhood desires, they've been hammered down many times over this act. But we don't know how these mentors will influence Yamato going forward, what kind of will or objectives he will from them. This flashback may reinforce Yamato's original dream further, but it could instead further cement Yamato as Wano's guardian. Because it's too early to tell which direction this will go, we need to wait for more scenes to judge.

-----------------------------

By the way, after reading the official translation, something called my attention.

The early scanlations had Yamato say he'd fight for Wano in 20 years, then go to the sea and become stronger.
    The official one has Yamato saying he'd fight for Wano in 20 years, because he would already have gone to the sea to become stronger.

For readers with access to the original and understanding of japanese, can anyone comment which version is more accurate. I'd usually say it's Stephen's, but in this case I'd like extra confirmation.
    TCB here. Stephen is correct

I was surprised that this chapter was not focused on Sanji and Zoro, but the change of pace was not unwelcome. The little flashback was very nice and well told, but it left me wanting more. It seems that the samurai died, so I wonder if it's over or perhaps Yamato will have multiple short stories... well, I hope for more since I still think Yamato's relationship with his father is undercooked. The last page is beautiful, though.

Nice to see the SHs coordinating for the next step...

Quote Originally Posted by DruMzTV View Post
    TCB here. Stephen is correct
    Nice to know it, thanks a lot!
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

Why did Yamato not leave with Ace? I mean, the whole plot would change but, with what we know from Yams now it makes not much sense to just stay there.
    “As I stand out here in the wonders of the unknown at Hadley, I sort of realize there’s a fundamental truth to our nature: Man must explore!” – David Scott, Moon

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
    Why did Yamato not leave with Ace? I mean, the whole plot would change but, with what we know from Yams now it makes not much sense to just stay there.
    Because of handcuffs

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information